Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

We now present the first edition of troop rules and land combat!

Note that these rules are subject to balancing and may be changed by the discretion of the court.

We will also show some leniency in deadlines for this first mrca turn.

Calling for a volunteer!

Oleon has announced an attack on Kings Port. As per the combat rules, a volunteer can build Terraversa's defense build, describing the defensive tactics the terraversans will employ, and thus aid Terraversa in it's defense.

NB: If the defender is an NPC, a player can volunteer to build the defense build.

You will have until November 1st to complete the build and description. Remember, it is not the size or quality of the build that matters (as long as it shows sufficient effort), but the tactics described (as per the rules). Also, for an NPC a build is always better than no build.

How many new topics does it take for an entire subforum to get HOT!! status? :grin:

For some strange reason I'm starting to think something is about to happen... :pir-grin:

It seems Oleon has made us all panic with their sneaky, ungentlemenlike and backhanded assault on Terraversa! :pir-tongue:

All: although the MRCA deadline is today, the next account sheet will run until the end of the month (31 Oct). So if you want to license a property, you have until the end of the month for it to still be included in this 'turn'.

On 10/27/2020 at 2:51 PM, Bregir said:

It seems Oleon has made us all panic with their sneaky, ungentlemenlike and backhanded assault on Terraversa! :pir-tongue:

Not sneaky, never sneaky. We have been the most upstanding gentlemen!

Having some idea concerning the upcoming Merrymas time and an advent calendar "built" by the community. Raising this mostly towards @Ayrlego, @Bregir, @Capt Wolf, @Captain Genaro, @Professor Thaum and whoever in Court I forgot.

The basic premise is "each day from December 1st to December 24th has one person building something for it, to be shown from that day on". I would do it like this:

1. Open an organisation thread asap, asking folks to commit to one or more days.
  2. In that thread people can volunteer for one or more days (first come first served, but chaging days should be possible before December 1st).
  3. Shortly before December 1st I will start te "advent calendar thread", where the builds are shown throughout December. All "doors" get collected in the OP of the advent calendar thread.
  4. Each day should get one build prepared in advance, to be posted shortly before or on that day - under a spoiler tag, so verybody can "open the door" at a time of their choice.
  5. The builds can be themed around Merrymas, but do not have to. The overall theme would be "Merrymas in the Brick Seas" - and not every minifig is celebrating, so interpretation of the topic is pretty free.

I'm not yet sure if I find the inspiration for a build myself, but I'd do the organisation of the whole thing. This is no contest or challenge of any kind, just an opportunity to build for a theme and have it collected in a manner appropriate for the Christmas season.

Thoughts? Wishes? Death threats?

40 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Having some idea concerning the upcoming Merrymas time and an advent calendar "built" by the community. Raising this mostly towards @Ayrlego, @Bregir, @Capt Wolf, @Captain Genaro, @Professor Thaum and whoever in Court I forgot.

The basic premise is "each day from December 1st to December 24th has one person building something for it, to be shown from that day on". I would do it like this:

1. Open an organisation thread asap, asking folks to commit to one or more days.
  2. In that thread people can volunteer for one or more days (first come first served, but chaging days should be possible before December 1st).
  3. Shortly before December 1st I will start te "advent calendar thread", where the builds are shown throughout December. All "doors" get collected in the OP of the advent calendar thread.
  4. Each day should get one build prepared in advance, to be posted shortly before or on that day - under a spoiler tag, so verybody can "open the door" at a time of their choice.
  5. The builds can be themed around Merrymas, but do not have to. The overall theme would be "Merrymas in the Brick Seas" - and not every minifig is celebrating, so interpretation of the topic is pretty free.

I'm not yet sure if I find the inspiration for a build myself, but I'd do the organisation of the whole thing. This is no contest or challenge of any kind, just an opportunity to build for a theme and have it collected in a manner appropriate for the Christmas season.

Thoughts? Wishes? Death threats?

I like it, and don't see any obvious issues. I'd wait for other members of leadership to chime in, but this has a :thumbup: from me.

33 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Thoughts?

Big task to organize, but sounds fun. Back-up builds may be good to have handy. A stronger common theme, or potentially story could be worth considering.

Wishes?

Merry Christmas :pir-blush:

Death threats?

Forthcoming :pir-wink:

Where I am, it is December 1st already, so I think I can safely declare the BotBS Advent Calendar 2020 open! I hope we all have a good time with it - some of us building and writing (and maybe more?) to fill its 24 "doors", and all of us enjoying the 24 little surprises.

We still need more people to fill the last positions, so feel free to join in the organisation thread. :pir-classic:

Ooops... By cleaning up my Flickr I accidentally removed the King of Varcoast! I'll provide a new king (always King Friedrich, but maybe a little more Balkanic-looking) as soon as possible!

Question for you all... where are the Prio Seas and New Haven seas in relationship to the Old World countries on the maps page? Just farther and farther east?

Would be cool to see a map that joined all of the new discovery maps together... or an interactive map :pir-oh:

Thanks!

Edited by evancelt

I am fairly certain we have a map of the known world somewhere.

@Ayrlego
is normally our map expert.

An interactive map would be cool, but the challenge is always keeping it up to date. BOBS is both complex and in constant development. But if it was easy for anyone to update, that would not be an issue, I suppose :)

3 hours ago, evancelt said:

where are the Prio Seas and New Haven seas in relationship to the Old World countries on the maps page? Just farther and farther east?

Generally, yes. If you look at the first map in the MRCA deadline thread, that has northern Old World coast and the Prio Seas on one map. The lower right corner of that map is repeated (at a different scale) in the upper left corner of the New Haven map in the MRCA thread. If you look at the area of overlap coverage of the maps on the maps page and then fiddle with the scales, you can see how they all relate.

5 minutes ago, Bregir said:

An interactive map would be cool, but the challenge is always keeping it up to date.

It's also a challenge to limit it to just the known world, as there are maps that exist that show more than what has been discovered! :pir-oh: But Bregir hit the nail on the head: keeping it up to date is a trick, as is simply creating something at a scale that can be useful.

16 hours ago, Bregir said:

An interactive map would be cool, but the challenge is always keeping it up to date. BOBS is both complex and in constant development. But if it was easy for anyone to update, that would not be an issue, I suppose :)

Agreed, seems like update-ability would be the issue. The most straightforward open source interactive maps I've worked with before use custom flat map tile layers to provide the map base images. They have different X/Y tile image sets for different zoom Z levels. An example of this is: https://openlayers.org/en/latest/examples/xyz.html

But that gets back to the issue of making it easy to update... would need some sort of tool like Google Earth KMZ editor to do that for a whole group of editors :pir-grin: I'll keep thinking about if that might be feasible.

16 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Generally, yes. If you look at the first map in the MRCA deadline thread, that has northern Old World coast and the Prio Seas on one map. The lower right corner of that map is repeated (at a different scale) in the upper left corner of the New Haven map in the MRCA thread. If you look at the area of overlap coverage of the maps on the maps page and then fiddle with the scales, you can see how they all relate.

It's also a challenge to limit it to just the known world, as there are maps that exist that show more than what has been discovered! :pir-oh: But Bregir hit the nail on the head: keeping it up to date is a trick, as is simply creating something at a scale that can be useful.

Thanks - That helps me picture it!

5 hours ago, evancelt said:

Agreed, seems like update-ability would be the issue. The most straightforward open source interactive maps I've worked with before use custom flat map tile layers to provide the map base images. They have different X/Y tile image sets for different zoom Z levels. An example of this is: https://openlayers.org/en/latest/examples/xyz.html

Oooo, something like that for BoBS would be soooo cool! It would really help picture the world and tie it all together.

Sooo, I've compiled most of the info about Essen into one topic. I will continue to update it and add more pictures and stuff. I just wanted to get the basics up already.

I do have some minor questions, though, lay-outing wise:

• How do you make a table in BBcode? I know how to do it in HTML, but that doesn't seem to work here.
  • How do you make a line, like in the Oleon introduction topic? Can't seem to find a button for it and HTML doesn't work either... Solved this, just had to use the square brackets.

Also, I want to reserve the second post for the future, but it keeps on merging my posts :ugh:.

Anyway, here's the topic, if you're interested. Like I've said: it's pretty barebones right now. 

Edited by Khorne

11 hours ago, Khorne said:

How do you make a table in BBcode? I know how to do it in HTML, but that doesn't seem to work here.

Usually I make a table in Word (or Excel then paste into word), then copy and paste into the browser. Probably not the most elegant or efficient way - but it works :)

11 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Usually I make a table in Word (or Excel then paste into word), then copy and paste into the browser. Probably not the most elegant or efficient way - but it works :)

Okay great, thanks! I'll give that a try. Weird that most other HTML works by changing the < > into [ ], but not tables.

KPA editors are fast at work as shipping reports come in from all over the Brick Seas. But beyond the mercantile numbers, if you have a personal sigfig storyline that is worthy of inclusion in this month's edition, please PM @Capt Wolf.

56 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

KPA editors are fast at work as shipping reports come in from all over the Brick Seas. But beyond the mercantile numbers, if you have a personal sigfig storyline that is worthy of inclusion in this month's edition, please PM @Capt Wolf.

Hey @Capt Wolf - Tried to PM you but the forum said you can't receive messages! Are you perhaps at your message limit? Thanks

Edited by evancelt

27 minutes ago, evancelt said:

Tried to PM you but the forum said you can't receive messages! Are you perhaps at your message limit?

It appears my inbox was full. That is now fixed. Thanks!

On 1/20/2021 at 5:07 PM, Capt Wolf said:

<cough>

?