Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

39 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

So if any faction sovereign observes abuses within another sovereign nation, he/she can "take action as needed to address and rectify" the problem? I've heard lots of complaints about the Faith. Perhaps someone should do something about that... :grin:

Wars during the Age of Sails (from early Renaissance to Napoleonic Era), nations started wars for more or less anything: the next one on the line of succession is a queen, is not exactly the best legitimate heir or simply you don’t like him/her? Somebody trades with your enemies (real or potential) or doesn’t trade with you? You want another king’s colonies, or you are distantly related with someone (so that you are a potential heir to his throne)? Somebody has a slightly different opinion about religion? Basically war was an option for any of these scenarios! :grin:

1 hour ago, Keymonus said:

Wars during the Age of Sails (from early Renaissance to Napoleonic Era), nations started wars for more or less anything: the next one on the line of succession is a queen, is not exactly the best legitimate heir or simply you don’t like him/her? Somebody trades with your enemies (real or potential) or doesn’t trade with you? You want another king’s colonies, or you are distantly related with someone (so that you are a potential heir to his throne)? Somebody has a slightly different opinion about religion? Basically war was an option for any of these scenarios! :grin:

I'm not arguing against that point at all! Just pointing out that Oleon's statement is flimsy and could be applied by any faction against any other faction as justification for an unjustified war.

6 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

I'm not arguing against that point at all! Just pointing out that Oleon's statement is flimsy and could be applied by any faction against any other faction as justification for an unjustified war.

Yes, yes, I understood! :pir-classic: And definitely the Faith, as well as having a common border, having colonies too near or, basically, anything else could be a good reason to start a war between any couple of factions!

As for what did or did not happen, and how it was and is presented: please keep in mind that such a thing as "the truth", if it ever existed, could not be represented properly. Every report of anything ever in the history of humankind had some form of bias. This is especially true when it comes to wars and newspapers.

Best example in these hallowed halls I can think of: the WTCM. Everything in it is (and always has been) technically and on a factual level correct - with some huge bias in its representation of course. :pir_laugh2:

So whatever Oleon deems appropriate as a "reason" to start a war: better not waste time on discussing how "correct" said reason is. Just accept Oleon presented itself for slaughter and go along with it. BBQ for everybody! :pir-thumb:

3 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

if you consider that NPC pirates have their location hidden when calling on NPC ports, then presumably if any NPC pirate has ever attacked an ESL ship, his argument must be true

Flawless logic. To war!

3 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

So if Terraversa's Grand Admiral L'Olius :bonaparte: were made leader of Terraversa, Oleon would peacefully depart, the tyrant having been deposed?

Hang on, I remember this bit from Gladiator. The correct response:

The soldiers will stay here for your protection, under the guidance of the Senate.

2 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Hang on, I remember this bit from Gladiator. The correct response:

The soldiers will stay here for your protection, under the guidance of the Senate.

Ah, but in that case the soldiers and the senate were both Roman. In this case the soldiers are Oleonese and the "senate" Terraversan, so not a proper example. :wink:

8 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Oleon is so concerned with the treatment of Mardierian shipping...

Oleon is concerned by the losses suffered by innocent Mardierian traders especially when their own fleet failed to protect them. 

9 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

So if Terraversa's Grand Admiral L'Olius :bonaparte: were made leader of Terraversa, Oleon would peacefully depart, the tyrant having been deposed?

He's no better than Oldis, and if the last one should depart, he should leave with him.Btw, it reminds me that we should have included an ultimatimum in that statement, offerring Oldis and l'Olius a chance to leave the island before things go really wrong for them.:pir_laugh2:

6 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

I think everyone knows quite well that all the words in our statement are just pretexts to start a war to gain control over TV. It isn't unsual to see actions like this in a rpg game, whether to appropriate extra ressources or to build up one's "muscle". For this case, war could be avoided if TV's gov was willing to listen to Oleon's request and cooperate accordingly, unfortunately, they failed to do so. It became evident for us that the only option Oleon had to resolve the TV affair was to risk an armed conflict.

1 hour ago, Bodi said:

It became evident for us that the only option Oleon had to resolve the TV affair was to risk an armed conflict.

Bravo! Imperials acting like Imperials :pir-huzzah2: 

OOC I applaud your factions decision and respect the planning to took to stage this. I think this can only be a positive for the game and the overall story line. Great work Oleon!

So.... where to now??? How about some tax concessions for Corrie vessels visiting Olean controlled TV ports in return for some Redcoat support, or at least guaranteed neutrality....? (jk)

"Zeus guide me with your light, Poseidon lend me the power of your waves to smash our foes, Hades send your nightmares to strike fear in our opponents hearts".

Old prayer to the ancestral gods, heard in rural parts of Oleon. 

Edited by blackdeathgr

@Ross Fisher The declaration is updated with references as appropriate. Hopefully this helps. 

11 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

So if any faction sovereign observes abuses within another sovereign nation, he/she can "take action as needed to address and rectify" the problem?

Of course not. Haven't you ever heard of a double standard?:pir-grin:

40 minutes ago, Captain Genaro said:

@Ross Fisher The declaration is updated with references as appropriate. Hopefully this helps. 

Of course not. Haven't you ever heard of a double standard?:pir-grin:

:pir-grin:

something irrelevant but the way I understood the following collaboration,

https://brickset.com/article/53460/more-on-lego-world-builder

I guess we (or the Counsil?) can petition for our beloved BoBS universe to come to "reality" as a setting for LEGO sets or a clip or something. The same applies to GoH for those that dwell there as well.

Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it being a line of sets. A video or comic, yeah, but to me BotBS is something just pure EB and we'd lose what's kind of special about it. It's also, in my opinion, fairly mature. There's open discussion of war, colonization, alcohol, sex, etc. It's not as happy go lucky as classic pirates or Ninjago.

Yeah, I think there'd also be some conflict as to who owns the BoBS concept and so forth.  Besides, it's too diverse for a line of sets.  But someone should do a pirate themed "world"!

4 hours ago, KotZ said:

Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it being a line of sets. A video or comic, yeah, but to me BotBS is something just pure EB and we'd lose what's kind of special about it. It's also, in my opinion, fairly mature. There's open discussion of war, colonization, alcohol, sex, etc. It's not as happy go lucky as classic pirates or Ninjago.

3 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Yeah, I think there'd also be some conflict as to who owns the BoBS concept and so forth.  Besides, it's too diverse for a line of sets.  But someone should do a pirate themed "world"!

Hm, true and true.

I noticed the Sea of Thieves map was quite out of date, so here is a 620AE version fresh from the Royal Cartographers of Corrington!

50335537552_dbc4ca8f32_b.jpg

28 minutes ago, Fraunces said:

Why is Berelli purple?

Because it's Grape Flavored! :pir-tongue::pir-laugh::pir-huzzah2:

Spoiler

It has an Eslandolan, an Oleander and a Corrish Settlement, and is shared. :pir-classic:

An updated (and rather Corrie centric!) map of Annetta.

Spoiler

50406692923_644304645c_c.jpg

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

rather Corrie centric!

Just how it should be! :pir-tongue:

7 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

An updated (and rather Corrie centric!) map of Annetta.

While others wage wars, we get to write the history books and draw the maps the right way!