Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

1 hour ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

The dragon/sea-slug flag is a bit too Manchu-China for my taste

Oh yeah, you are right. Didn't even know that flag. That could really be too close.

3 hours ago, gedren_y said:

I recently saw a pic of a sea slug that looks remarkably like that lotus image.

Hehe. Awesome creatures. Inspired by your comment I just saw a documentary about them.

I am psyked for the upcoming challenge and just bought the two Chinese centered sets available. Lion dance and spring fair or whatever they are called - quite nice sets! :)

4 hours ago, Bregir said:

I am psyked for the upcoming challenge and just bought the two Chinese centered sets available. Lion dance and spring fair or whatever they are called - quite nice sets! :)

I was looking at those sets online. Good prep for the challenge!

On 1/22/2020 at 9:05 PM, Bregir said:

just bought the two Chinese centered sets available

I haven't bought them yet, maybe I should.:look:

On 1/23/2020 at 12:26 AM, Kolonialbeamter said:

Brickorona-virus

As long as they aren't manufactured by bat or rat eaters, we'll be ok.:pir-sick:

Just popping my  head in here! I'm looking forward to the Lotus challenge and most likely seeing lots of great MOCs once more. Really nice to see the world of BoBS being expanded upon.

Regarding the Lotian flag, I might have 2 cents to pitch in with the discussion :grin: . I like the purple lotus on the yellow background and while the illustration itself is nicely done, it kind of looks really contemporary western to me. It doesn't look like an oriental art style. Is this necessary? Perhaps not, since all of this is just fantasy, but for immersion purposes it might be neat to explore some alternatives.

(Middle and Far) Eastern art is generally really noted for abstractions of natural elements, particularly flowers. They're common motives throughout architectural and "graphic" design. So my suggestion would also be to make the lotus look less "real" and more like a simplified abstract form or idea of a lotus. Japanese clans especially have really cool iconography going waaaay back. These are called mon. If you check the link, you will see what I mean with "abstract designs".

That being said: I tried my hand at designing my own version of the Lotus flag, based on real-life inspiration I found from architectural ornamentation and the aforementioned mon. I'm posting two versions below, feel free to use any - or none. Whatever you like :thumbup:.

49438826486_c4cf68bc75.jpg

49439054222_5775d3327a.jpg

The first one is visually more simple, while the second leans closer to the style of the Japanese mon. Perhaps these might be too simple, but I just wanted to share my views on this :classic:.

2 hours ago, Khorne said:

Regarding the Lotian flag, I might have 2 cents to pitch in with the discussion :grin: .  ... <snip> ...  I tried my hand at designing my own version of the Lotus flag, based on real-life inspiration I found from architectural ornamentation and the aforementioned mon. I'm posting two versions below, feel free to use any - or none. Whatever you like :thumbup:.

The first one is visually more simple, while the second leans closer to the style of the Japanese mon. Perhaps these might be too simple, but I just wanted to share my views on this :classic:.

Both are very cool. Thanks!

32 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

How do I tell how many sister ships I have in my fleet?

If you follow the link for a ship in the ship register, if it's a sistership it should go to the sistership post rather than the original build. Because that can be time consuming, we've encouraged all sisterships to use the Name II, Name III, etc style of naming convention. I think Deuxieme Comete is the only one in the Sea Rat fleet or your personal fleet that doesn't use the roman numeral convention. Does that help?

7 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

If you follow the link for a ship in the ship register, if it's a sistership it should go to the sistership post rather than the original build. Because that can be time consuming, we've encouraged all sisterships to use the Name II, Name III, etc style of naming convention. I think Deuxieme Comete is the only one in the Sea Rat fleet or your personal fleet that doesn't use the roman numeral convention. Does that help?

Thanks, that does help!

If you're updating Farstrider's guide, please can you add the Great Alliance States lore that we've developed? I see the flag is already in there.

1 hour ago, Ross Fisher said:

If you're updating Farstrider's guide, please can you add the Great Alliance States lore that we've developed? I see the flag is already in there.

@Ayrlego ?
 Sounds reasonable to me :)

10 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

I'd really like too as I love the lore you guys created for the GAS; However, nobody ever finished inputting the info in the characteristics section. See the PM for more details.

Couriers have been spotted running back and forth between the docks and the Kings Port Advertiser offices the last few days, and editors appear to be burning the midnight oil. There are rumors of several battles across the Brick Seas this month, and the list of lost and captured ships may be quite long.

Where do I look for the size of settlements so I can figure out how many troops I can recruit?  Many of the settlement pages don't appear to have this information. 

4 minutes ago, The Sarge said:

Where do I look for the size of settlements so I can figure out how many troops I can recruit?  Many of the settlement pages don't appear to have this information. 

Look at the Settlement Status tab of the Account Summary. The Settlement Level column will tell you what you need to know. But note that because we haven't run the Nov-Dec account update yet, the info may be out of date in some cases.

A question about sistershipping… Do I need to do individual threads for every ship I sistership or can I do one thread with appropriate story for multiple ships? Just wanted to ask before spamming the forum with sistership threads. I've got 4 or 5 to do before the tMRCA.

24 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

A question about sistershipping… Do I need to do individual threads for every ship I sistership or can I do one thread with appropriate story for multiple ships? Just wanted to ask before spamming the forum with sistership threads. I've got 4 or 5 to do before the tMRCA.

The sistershipping form asks for the URL of the sistership build, so I don't know if having the same URL for multiple builds would cause problems. I know it causes problems with the similar issue of trying to license multiple small properties in a single post. Just to be safe, I'd go with separate threads and not worry about spamming the forum.

There's a way to use a single thread by spreading the story out in multiple posts, with a good amount of time between them so that they don't get merged. Then use the specific post links for your forms.

31 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

There's a way to use a single thread by spreading the story out in multiple posts, with a good amount of time between them so that they don't get merged. Then use the specific post links for your forms.

Yes, that works. Typically you have to wait at least 15 minutes between posts in the thread if no one else has replied in the interim.

22 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Yes, that works. Typically you have to wait at least 15 minutes between posts in the thread if no one else has replied in the interim.

That is great. I'll see about doing that then as well...

@LM71Blackbird  @Capt Wolf @gedren_y

I just recently sistershipped two ships (for the Gentleman Privateer) in one build, and it did not seem to cause any issues "reusing" the sistershipping build. The original moc link is of course unique.

So I think we can assume you can use the same build. If I find it causes me trouble with the sheets, I will IMMEDIATELY let you know, trust me! :pir-grin: