Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

A great era-appropriate book (not sure where to post it so I think it would benefit more people if it stayed here - feel free to move it though)

"Discurso de mi vida" by Alonso de Contreras

A true gem and one of the finest books of the so called Golden Age of Sail, along with the "The True History of the Conquest of New Spain". Hopefully it inspires you! Cheers!

46947621155_3e6d149718_c.jpg

Edited by blackdeathgr

Is anyone entering the Summer Joust this year? I'm looking at getting a team together for the collaborative quest category. So far I've asked @TheCubbScout and @Ayrlego. However, teams can be up to four people. So if anyone is interested in joining a potential BoBS team, send me an email address, and I'll send round a message. 

4 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Is anyone entering the Summer Joust this year? I'm looking at getting a team together for the collaborative quest category. So far I've asked @TheCubbScout and @Ayrlego. However, teams can be up to four people. So if anyone is interested in joining a potential BoBS team, send me an email address, and I'll send round a message. 

Pm me more details of this "joust"

4 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Is anyone entering the Summer Joust this year? I'm looking at getting a team together for the collaborative quest category.

PM me more details too... I will have a look

7 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

So far I've asked @TheCubbScout and @Ayrlego

I haven't replied on Flickr but I'm in!

For those who aren't familiar with the Summer Joust, it's an annual castle based building competition hosted on Flickr. This years thread can be found here.

15 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

I'll throw my hat into the ring, if that's okay :pir-classic:

On 6/21/2019 at 7:48 AM, Darnok said:

@Bregir @Capt Wolf @Phred

In what places is it necessary to implement my username change? "Drunknok" is now "Darnok".

Can we potentially maintain Drunknok as handle for BoBs purposes? That would probably be easiest? :)

If not, I'd think we can figure out how to make the change.

On 7/4/2019 at 2:31 PM, Spud The Viking said:

A question: how do you guys create maps for settlements? This is probably aimed at Corries, but others are more than welcome to answer.

@Mesabi

Had some tool he used. He might have some inspiration for you. Otherwise, I like pen and paper myself ;)

12 hours ago, Bregir said:

Can we potentially maintain Drunknok as handle for BoBs purposes? That would probably be easiest? :)

If not, I'd think we can figure out how to make the change.

Eh, I'd bury that name rather sooner than later, but seeing the silence on the forum lately I'm happy with letting it stay as it is for now. As soon as things get active once more I can bring it up again.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:31 AM, Spud The Viking said:

A question: how do you guys create maps for settlements? This is probably aimed at Corries, but others are more than welcome to answer.

@Mike S did a lot of maps early on, so he'd be a good person to ask, too.

Hi guys, I'm finally back (more or less :tongue:) after a long period in another city, away from my beloved bricks :grin:. My main character is still trapped in Charlatan Bay, trying to restore order, but soon you will hear again about him!
Welcome to all the new members (sorry for the delay), and vive le Roi!

Only a quick question… how do you imagine the NPC states never fleshed out? I've some ideas for a future AMRCA, but since it could touch several states I would like your feedback!

In my mind (general real world references):

Great Alliance States = from Eastern Europe to Siberia
Great Raider = something inspired to Mongol or Hun states, with nomadic warlords struggling against sedentary settlements
Middle Kingdoms = something Ottoman/Persian-like
Pontilla = a European-like buffer state, no clear idea
Kemblar/Kemblarsi = @Mesabi depicted them as Asian states, makes sense due to their position
Lotus Empire = we have many Lotii settlers around the Brick Seas, apparently East Asians (China/Japan)

What do you think? And about the other Southern States?

1 hour ago, Keymonus said:

Hi guys, I'm finally back (more or less :tongue:) after a long period in another city, away from my beloved bricks :grin:. My main character is still trapped in Charlatan Bay, trying to restore order, but soon you will hear again about him!
Welcome to all the new members (sorry for the delay), and vive le Roi!

Welkome back!

On 7/4/2019 at 2:31 PM, Spud The Viking said:

We actually need a new map maker... The maps are a little bit out dated right now...

1 hour ago, Keymonus said:

Only a quick question… how do you imagine the NPC states never fleshed out? I've some ideas for a future AMRCA, but since it could touch several states I would like your feedback!

I think the general ideas are actually in place, but just never written up. I will see if we can get these published in some form soonish :)

I remember @Mesabi did a lot of writing for NPC states, I don't know how much of it got published so far though.

In Kings Port, editors were seen burning the midnight oil at the KPA offices last night. Either they're starting to assemble the latest edition of shipping news from around the Brick Seas or they're burning their notes. :pir-grin:

If you have any news items for the upcoming KPA, PM @Capt Wolf.

22 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

editors were seen burning the midnight oil at the KPA o

Wuhuuuuuuuu!!!

HYPE! :D

On 7/9/2019 at 6:50 AM, Keymonus said:

Hi Keymonus,

We have a write up about 80percent done for the Great Alliance States - @Ross Fisher and @Khorne did a lot of the work. They use Early Imperial Russia and other Slavic cultures as an inspiration. I'll try and revisit this and get it published some time soon(ish). If you were planning a story with these guys let me know and I'll give you a sneak peak!

The NPC Development group never reached a consensus when we looked at Pontilla. The majority feeling at the time was a Poland/Lithuania inspired state. But definitely a buffer state like you describe.

Similarly we have never delved too much into the Middle Kingdoms. One of the ideas tossed around was for a Byzantine Greek/Roman inspired land - the last remaining remnants of the 'Great Empire' divided into several city states/kingdoms loosely confederated.

The Lotii don't have any official lore other than they are depicted as East Asian and I don't see that changing too much. The other southern states I imagine will all be variations of other Asian type cultures. Mesabi did depict the two 'K' states as Asian.

Personally I have also always imagined the Great raider states as a somewhat cross between Mongol/Hun with perhaps even some Viking influence (I'm pretty sure someone has depicted them as Viking like in some builds but I can't recall who...)

Hopefully that helps!

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

We have a write up about 80percent done for the Great Alliance States - @Ross Fisher and @Khorne did a lot of the work.

We were planning an AMRCA, but never got round to it. I might do my own storyline based on the work we've already done. If there are any more details you think we need to flesh out, let me know and I'll include them. 

On 7/8/2019 at 9:50 PM, Keymonus said:

Middle Kingdoms = something Ottoman/Persian-like

I definitely saw them as something in this vein. Sat between other powerful nations, but with a rich culture and history all of their own. 

When we developed the GAS lore, it helped to imagine that the name was one given to them by the Halosians. The people referred to themselves Kolya's Folk or the Ghaskin Confederation. I imagine you would use the same consideration with the Middle Kingdoms, and make it a Sultanate or something similar.

Thank you guys! :classic:

Actually I was planning an AMRCA westward and then maybe southwards, if the events will allow that. Anyways, since I still have a couple of things pending (Charlatan Bay, Fatu Hiva prizes, something about the Marquisade received by my character...) I won’t start it too soon... I was just deciding which torsos/headgears/decorated plates I should include in my next BL order, so no need to hurry up at all!