Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

5th day of the 3rd month, 619

Mesabi Landing

Hear ya, hear ya!

Found drifting near the port of Mesabi Landing, proud men and women of the WTC have seized the "Dirty Harry", formerly sailing under the colours of infamous pirate and scourge of the Brick Seas, Bloody Bill. Of the crew there were found no signs, but the ship will now sail under the flag of the WTC, trying to make up for the horrible deeds of its previous owner by spreading growth and prosperity for the Crown of Corrington!

By the authority of the Wayfarer Trading Company.

=======================================================================

On 1/25/2019 at 5:05 PM, Capt Wolf said:

The notorious pirate Bloody Bill has struck again. After a quiet couple of months, from Hojaroja we hear that the crew of the Dozy Dragon, a junk crewed by foreigners from the south but flying Corrie colors, were set upon by the bloody pirate in the South Prio Sea. She arrived in port damaged but intact, with the crew ready for a stiff drink at the hamlet’s little inn.  

However, we hear from Mesabi Landing that one of Bloody Bill’s ships, the sloop Dirty Harry, subsequently sprang a leak, was separated from the rest of the pirate fleet, and made port in the tsunami-ravaged city. This is either bad news for the crew, or a match made in heaven! We’ll continue to monitor our WTC sources for any news of the crew’s fate in the coming weeks.

Referencing this KPA, this is the formal seizure of the ship "Dirty Harry". A corresponding build will follow, hopefully sooner rather than later.

The ship also needs a MOC, so will of course not sail this turn already. Just letting @Bregir, @Capt Wolf and @Legostone know, so ownership can be transferred to the WTC in time for the next turn. Thanks in advance!

17 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

I do love a forced perspective build! Thanks for the idea.

That would be neat a fig looking out the window at the town! 

@Bregir @Capt Wolf @Legostone @Phred

A question about my last AMRCA choices, concerning the set-up of a new settlement on Calinstock.

So given these options and choosing "Set up camp", I did build a small hut (scroll down a bit) - a small residence under the EGS rules. I have never started a settlement myself, so what are the following steps to set up the squatter settlement?

I know I am supposed to mark the location of the settlement, but there is only this huge map of the whole New Haven region, not one of Calinstock alone. I could still put a dot on there and describe the location in a few sentences to make the exact position unambiguous.

As for naming the settlement: this would spoiler some developments I have planned for the next weeks and months, so I would like to give it a spaceholder name for the time being. Would that be possible? Another option would be to license all builds up to that point on Calinstock in general, and transfer them to the named settlement later on - again, if that is possible.

Anything else I would have to do?

Rumour has it, initial shipping reports are starting to trickle in to the offices of the King's Port Advertiser!

On 3/10/2019 at 9:25 PM, Drunknok said:

So given these options and choosing "Set up camp", I did build a small hut (scroll down a bit) - a small residence under the EGS rules. I have never started a settlement myself, so what are the following steps to set up the squatter settlement?

I know I am supposed to mark the location of the settlement, but there is only this huge map of the whole New Haven region, not one of Calinstock alone. I could still put a dot on there and describe the location in a few sentences to make the exact position unambiguous.

As for naming the settlement: this would spoiler some developments I have planned for the next weeks and months, so I would like to give it a spaceholder name for the time being. Would that be possible? Another option would be to license all builds up to that point on Calinstock in general, and transfer them to the named settlement later on - again, if that is possible.

Anything else I would have to do? 

Set up a settlement thread - give it a temporary name.

I see if we can produce a larger map, but for now, just mark the approximate location on a blown up cut out of the overall map.

9 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Rumour has it, initial shipping reports are starting to trickle in to the offices of the King's Port Advertiser!

Set up a settlement thread - give it a temporary name.

I see if we can produce a larger map, but for now, just mark the approximate location on a blown up cut out of the overall map.

Excellent news on all three points, thanks. :thumbup:

22 hours ago, Bregir said:

:moar:

(This type of news tidbit always improves my day)

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:20 PM, Kwatchi said:

:moar:

(This type of news tidbit always improves my day)

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Get yer copies of the latest Kings Port Advertiser!

Hi Ya'll,

I'd like to take a moment to let you all know that I will be taking a major step back from the Brick Seas for the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately, I simply do not have room, or time pursue lego as a hobby. I wish circumstances were different, but I'm entering a new chapter of my life, and I need to be real about things. 

Don't worry, this has nothing to do with any of the kerfuffles I've had with leadership, or other players. Simply put, I don't have room in my parent's basement for 3+ brick built ships (or the quantity I actually have...:grin:), nor will I have space, probably until I own a house. 

I do hope to be able to return to the Brick Seas one day, and if I ever find the time, I might try out LDD. 

For now, Count Mesabi has returned home to the Grand City of Mesabi Landing, and will quietly direct repairs from there. 

If you need me for anything, just PM me, it will show up in my email, or contact @Drunknok, as the two of us are good friends off of the Brick Seas. 

Take care everyone, and I hope this game is going strong in a few years. Thank you especially to @Bregir, @Ayrlego, @Capt Wolf, @Professor Thaum, in particular, for helping guide my builds, and steering my stories. 

Regards,

-Mesabi

@Mesabi, I hope to see you back on the Brick Seas at some point. Your shadow will be felt here for awhile regardless! Good luck with life's challenges!

Mesabi, thank you for your builds all these years and should you find time again in the future, BOBS will be here to welcome you again! Good luck! 

IC: I guess now horse sausage consumption will radically drop... Fortunately!!! :grin:

A question for the Brick Seas...

Would you permit me to post a long story, text only, in a series of posts in a single topic, and add the photos later, as I am able to complete the builds?

I don't like this approach, but it will be some time until I complete all the builds, and I would like to get something posted...

@Captain Dee It would probably work better if you published the posts piecemeal, as a long scrawl of text might be off-putting. 

Keen to see what you've written, though. Is there any way to make the builds smaller and quicker? Forced perspectives, micro-builds, minifig-led scenes?

4 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

@Captain Dee It would probably work better if you published the posts piecemeal, as a long scrawl of text might be off-putting. 

Keen to see what you've written, though. Is there any way to make the builds smaller and quicker? Forced perspectives, micro-builds, minifig-led scenes?

I realize most stories on EB are posted with a new topic for each installment, but my gripe with this approach is the fact that so many links are required to connect everything together, especially with long stories, that it's easy to lose track of everything. For organizational purposes I like the idea of putting everything in one topic. Offhand I'm guessing I will have 15-20 installments. I don't expect everyone to read everything, but for anyone who does, it would be a matter of scrolling and flipping pages.

I'm planning a variety of build types already, for various reasons.

So it will be like an AMCRA, all posts new builds in one topic. 
as this system is already around in the AMCRA, then why wouldn't it be possible for your story?

Eventhough EB and BOBS are picture driven, I can't see why a bigger text won't work. 

1 hour ago, Bart said:

So it will be like an AMCRA, all posts new builds in one topic. 
as this system is already around in the AMCRA, then why wouldn't it be possible for your story?

Eventhough EB and BOBS are picture driven, I can't see why a bigger text won't work. 

Yes, it would be similar to an AMCRA, but with me telling the whole story on my own, rather than having options to go by. I meant to mention this initially and just forgot. *facepalm* (Wait... can minifigs even do that, or would they *faceclip* ? :grin: )

I am currently travelling and will be all Easter, but I am very happy to see all those excellent entries for the interim challenge! I hope I will find the time to participate in all categories too :)

I am also aware that I am a behind on the AMRCAs. I may do a bit of write ups while still away, but otherwise I will look into it once I am back :)

Thank you for your patience, and keep all those great entries coming!

KPA Special Bulletin: Mesabi Landing rebuilt!
After being wrecked by a tsumani in January, the WTC has put efforts into rebuilding and stepped up the quality of construction and materials being used. The streets and the port has been cleared and the settlement can now again accept investments and settlers. Its markets have been reopened, and trade is once more starting to flourish. Only time will tell if the WTC will fall back into old habits, but perhaps there is hope for the rogue TC?