Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

Just now, Capt Wolf said:

If I can address everyone in this discussion for a moment: as a member of leadership, I put in a lot or time and effort to help make this game fun. I got involved because MRCAs weren't happening at all, but now that we have them running fairly regularly (yes, not 12 per year, there have been hiccups, but nothing like before, and well more than 4/5 a year, thank you very much), we get blasted for not doing enough. And when we make the move to synch the shipping with land income so that land yields don't outpace shipping yields, we get blasted for not reducing shipping income. We try to make it easier for players to raid settlements (because everyone wants something to attack!) and all we hear is complaints that we can't defend our settlements any more. All the factions have leaders that were involved in developing these rule changes, so no faction was ignored, and we're open to tweaking things if we overcorrected (in fact, working on something right now!), but if every time we try something we get slammed, and we get slammed if we don't do anything, where's our motivation to help with this game? I'm feeling really underappreciated right now, and I would like to see the discussion recognize how much we're trying to help this community with absolutely zero reward for our efforts. If you've got suggestions for improvement, great. If all it's going to be is complaints, you'll blend into the background noise and never be heard. FYI.

Thank you for speaking your mind. 
And you are right, I do not voice my appreciation enough for the work done by all the people who run bobs

Don't forget it is also human nature to first or only see the downsides of change. and typing it in a forum (as well as everywhere else on the internet) is a far too easy way of expressing negativity. Not that I want to use that as an excuse. as I'm just as guilty as anyone else in portraying the negative more then the positive. So my sincere apologies for my part in that. 

-

Blackflags are upkeep free, I didn't knew that.

Just now, LM71Blackbird said:

On another topic: we've made this forum hot with over 1200 replies in such a short amount of time!

We're SMOKIN'! :pir-grin:

On another topic: we've made this forum hot with over 1200 replies in such a short amount of time!

*PARTAY* :pir-laugh:

Just now, Bart said:

Blackflags are upkeep free, I didn't knew that.

Yep - so with black flag ships only sailing to hideouts, sea rats could in fact, for free, operate whatever fleet you can build up with your free class 2's as a starting point without ever licensing a single property or owning a single settlement - sounds very piratey to me! :pir-wink:

(Although we do need to look at the MRCA, but as we said, we are working on it :pir-classic:)

*slow claps for BOBS Leadership*

One question: since the Town Bank mechanic is being done away with, will the existing funds be reallocated to the settlements' accounts?

A small addendum to the rules on fort upkeep:

Due to the special status of Bastion as the capital of the Sea Rats, who have no old world capital to retreat to, the three large forts of Bastion will henceforth be upkeep free.

The biggest problem with BoBS, is that the leaders can't see that there is a problem. Again, this is not a slight towards all you putting in a bunch of time to try to make this work. But playing whack-a-mole with whatever problem you think is causing issues in the game will never work. The game was written to work a certain way by Ska. It was taken over by Bregir and others who tried to "fix" the game with patches. Now it's so buggy the only solution is to start over. But instead all we get is another patch. Welcome to BoBS 2.764.

54 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

...(yes, not 12 per year, there have been hiccups, but nothing like before, and well more than 4/5 a year, thank you very much)...

Alright, it was 6 last year. I stand corrected.

Vol 3. Issue 2
Vol 3. Issue 3
Vol 3. Issue 4
Vol 3. Issue 5
Vol 3. Issue 6
Vol 3. Issue 7

On that note... where is @SkaForHire? I can't remember actually ever seeing him since I joined...

He was mutinied and shipwrecked.

Just now, Captain Dee said:

@Capt Wolf Regarding being "slammed" for opposing things (like making raids easier vs easier defense)...

...my mind thinks trying to develop a game that satisfies pirates and Imperials simultaneously is a... next to impossible proposition!

Good point! :pir-grin:

---

And thanks to everyone for the positive responses to my letting off steam. Much appreciated.

Just now, Capt Wolf said:

And thanks to everyone for the positive responses to my letting off steam. Much appreciated.

I think you are doing a great job, so please keep going. :classic:

Without reading any of the last pages' discussions, just three remarks:

1. As the player who gets hit the hardest by this (I own 2 royal properties currently) economically, I fully and 100% approve the changes.

2. The only thing I dislike is how you treated settlements: Either take all income away - so make them fully nation-controlled - or leave their autonomy and their natural income. (you may cut it by 80% or whatever, but leave sth. there.

3. The only long-term solution to fight inflation is to give us incentives to spend our money on. Like 1.500 DBs for a Royal Palace, or buying a title, or faring war, and so on.

Anyway - glad that the first step has been taken. :-) 

13 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Due to the special status of Bastion as the capital of the Sea Rats

Hurray!  We're special!

Seriously though, this is a HUGE help.  Between this and some unorthodox solutions we have been feverishly working on internally, we may be able to untie this Gordian Knot.  More to follow...

3 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

No problem. For me at least, was a reminder that we should all be in this to have fun. Real life is stressful enough, let's not let it seep into our hobby!

2 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

I think you are doing a great job, so please keep going. :classic:

I agree with this 110%! I strive to be as helpful as leadership and oftentimes fall short!

Just now, Elostirion said:

Like 1.500 DBs for a Royal Palace, or buying a title, or faring war, and so on.

War is what I'm truly waiting for. Not that I'm bloodthirsty or anything, but games like Risk have always been a personal favorite of mine... so being able to do that in Lego would be a dream come true. Lol...

Just now, Kwatchi said:

Hurray!  We're special!

I've always known! :pir-wink:

Good to hear it helps as intended. We will keep our eyes out for the any further imbalances.

War is what I'm truly waiting for. Not that I'm bloodthirsty or anything, but games like Risk have always been a personal favorite of mine... so being able to do that in Lego would be a dream come true. Lol...

And this is also something we are aware of. But again, we can't do everything at once ;)

8 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

He was mutinied and shipwrecked.

This is grossly inaccurately and I can not allow it to stand unopposed. 

I wasn't in court at the time but I was an active player in Corrington and I have since read most of the topics in the court. From what I have seen, Ska was overtaken by RL events and his participation was severely limited. If it hadn't been for people like Bregir, Capt Wolf, KB, Legostone, GG and others stepping up, then the game would have collapsed a long time ago. 

Seriously, it really annoys me how much crap Bregir cops. He practically drove Corrington for a long time and has put aside his own building and storytelling (thus the enjoyable parts of the game) to help drive the ship called BoBS. Not because he is a ‘mutineer’ or wants power or anything. But because he cares about the game and wants to see it keep going. I may not always agree with his every position or decision. But I deeply appreciate the amount of effort and work he puts in.

Rant over.

First of all, I admire the work leadership puts in this.

Secondly, I think war Will solve a lot for Sea Rats

1. Being hired as forces

2. Warships Will have other tasks then to guard tradevessels

3. Troops in settlements Will be reduced as they are needed for war

& it Will be a money sink for sure (upkeep upkeep upkeep)

15 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

Bregir [...] I may not always agree with his every position or decision. But I deeply appreciate the amount of effort and work he puts in.

Seconded. :thumbup:

19 minutes ago, Bregir said:

And this is also something we are aware of. But again, we can't do everything at once ;)

Oh, I know! It's something I have been talking about for a while in several different areas. I'm just excited for when it becomes a reality.

3 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

First of all, I admire the work leadership puts in this.

Secondly, I think war Will solve a lot for Sea Rats

1. Being hired as forces

2. Warships Will have other tasks then to guard tradevessels

3. Troops in settlements Will be reduced as they are needed for war

& it Will be a money sink for sure (upkeep upkeep upkeep)

I definitely agree with this.

Bregir [...] I may not always agree with his every position or decision. But I deeply appreciate the amount of effort and work he puts in.

I third this! :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Oh, and we don't tweak Monopoly rules as we play where I come from. :wink: That sounds like chaos.

:laugh:  Of course!  I meant whoever originally invented it. :wink:

For the record, I appreciate the effort that went into these rules (and has gone into all the rule changes!).  After my bank account hit 2000, with several hundred rolling in every month, I kinda stopped thinking about DBs any more; I have more than enough to license anything I build and am not too worried about getting into a personal war and spending millions. :tongue:  So I feel pretty unaffected by all these rules ATM, which is maybe while I'm cool with 'em. :laugh:  Although part of me thinks it might have been better not to let Captain Nordau run off with several thousands of my DBs.  But another part of me thinks it would be fun to wipe out everything I have and start over. :grin:

A reminder to everyone: yeah, it would have been great to have waited five or six or seven or ten (or a hundred!) years until we (the original behind-the-sceners) had all the rules worked out, i's dotted, t's crossed, etc.  But then we would have missed years of great MOCs, great stories, and great memories (looking back, even things that seemed like they blew up in our faces yielded some great stuff... I still remember the blast I had writing the Pax Crablandia! :pir-grin: ).

. @Bregir @Capt Wolf @Ayrlego

I know there are others in court but you've all been in this conversation.   My frustrations are not with you or the "jobs" you do.   My frustration is that overnight I'm being expected to absorb a 350db a turn bill.   With no feasible way to accomplish this in a months time (the three builds I can licence prevent this)   we (SR)  think we have figured out a solution but my frustration is I've had 74 db a month for the better part of a year in land based income personaly and prior to this removal of income the settlement I manage took care of its own expense.  Your getting rid of money out of thin air but expect players to come up with it from the same air.   I don't have issues with the ruling more so the time frame to implement.

12 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

I still remember the blast I had writing the Pax Crablandia! :pir-grin: ).

It is still an active part of the "Mesabi Landing lore" - I have some ideas for the rebuild story featuring "your" crabs with hats. :pir-sweet: