Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

Tonight marks not only the beginning of a new year, but also the fact that

Mesabi Landing is the first Grand City

of the Brick Seas!

Yes sir, Mesabi Landing might not be the biggest settlement in BotBS (yet), but it is (and forever will be) the first player settlement that has reached the level of "Grand City". Fireworks across the globe are testament of worldwide celebrations! :pir-grin:

First and most important of all I want to thank @Mesabi, whose child this was and is: could not have done it without you, I think we are a good team!

I also want to thank @LM71Blackbird, who has contributed a considerable amount of builds to the settlement, and is a great Corrington ally IC and OOC. The same is true for @Ayrlego, thank you too!

In no particular order, my thanks also go to everybody else who has built in and for Mesabi Landing, namely @Lord Buckethead, @Brickwolf, @Maxim I, @Legostone and @Kai NRG.

The journey was good fun so far, and I will continue to build for Mesabi Landing - to make it the largest and greatest settlement in the Brick Seas!

Edited by Drunknok
Forgot to mention Legostone! D'Oh, sorry!

Everybody, have a good new year 2019 in the real world, and a jolly new 619 in Brethren of the Brick Seas!

May you always have some trans-blue bricks under the keel, and golden doubloons at the end of your journeys.

Happy building, and good times for all of you!

Happy new year and I wish all of you the best and i'm hoping for many high quality BoBS MOCs this year!:excited:

Coming from the rules updates:

2 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

Just a quick reminder/clarification for those planning on recruiting armies: troops can only be recruited at a given settlement once per MRCA turn, and a MOC (more than just minifigs on a baseplate) is required for that settlement's troop recruitment. Also remember that there is a limit to the number of soldiers that can be recruited at a settlement each MRCA turn (details above).

How is this handled with different players? For a settlement with a "troops allowance" of t:

1. Can player X recruit a number x of troops (t>x) and player Y could still recruit a number y=t-x troops in the same turn?
  2. Or are players X and Y limeted to numbers x and y (both up to t), but only one player can recruit from that settlement?

Just now, Drunknok said:

Coming from the rules updates:

How is this handled with different players? For a settlement with a "troops allowance" of t:

1. Can player X recruit a number x of troops (t>x) and player Y could still recruit a number y=t-x troops in the same turn?
  2. Or are players X and Y limeted to numbers x and y (both up to t), but only one player can recruit from that settlement?

1. A settlement can produce t soldiers per MCRA turn. If x + y does not exceed t, both players can recruit troops at that location that turn. An MOC is required from both players in this case.

Just now, Capt Wolf said:

1. A settlement can produce t soldiers per MCRA turn. If x + y does not exceed t, both players can recruit troops at that location that turn. An MOC is required from both players in this case.

Excellent, thank you. :classic:

@Capt Wolf

Two questions:

1. Can a player raise as many troops personally as he wants? I.e. could I raise a personal army that would be listed under my name and not a settlements name?

2. Black flag ships... so if someone attacks another ship and as long as they sink it they remain normal right? Only if the attack fails then they are listed as a black flag ship?

Allow me to interject:

1) Yes, if you can pay for them, both raising and upkeep, and there is spare capacity in the given settlement to do so. (Faction troops will probably take precedence)

2) Hmm, not sure how this works tMRCA-wise, but before any Corlander gets any fancy ideas, if the faction finds you are conducting piracy, you will be in trouble. ;)

This is not covered by rules, but I believe one should always ask the "owner" of a settlement before raising troops there. And if in doubt, bring it up in the faction PM. That way no two players start planning recruitments in a place where they could not do it both at the same time. It also reduces the probability of other confusions or irritations.

I have done it like that in the past and will do so in the future.

Edited by Drunknok
Typo...

14 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

1. Can a player raise as many troops personally as he wants? I.e. could I raise a personal army that would be listed under my name and not a settlements name?

Yes, within the limits of the various settlements where he raises them. You could raise 30 troops in Large Town A and another 10 troops in Town B, but you would have to fill out the army form for troops from each location, and create an MOC for each one as well. The settlements you use would also need to be in your faction.

Note that troops can be raised by the various entities that can own property and ships: players, TCs, settlements, and factions. This is not to be confused with the location (settlement) used for raising the troops.

And Drunknok is correct that you should ask the mayor or owner of a settlement before using it as a recruitment location.

22 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

2. Black flag ships... so if someone attacks another ship and as long as they sink it they remain normal right? Only if the attack fails then they are listed as a black flag ship?

Technically, yes, although there is some disagreement about whether a player should raise the black voluntarily before making an attack.

sooo there are new rules about troops too.

does it have any consequenses for already existing (payed for) troops? that aren't linked to any town or placed in a location* (untill next turn when they will be doing some paintball in Quinnsville) 

*IC they where in a location but never filled a form for that as that wasn't necesary in the past.

Just now, Bart said:

sooo there are new rules about troops too.

does it have any consequenses for already existing (payed for) troops? that aren't linked to any town or placed in a location* (untill next turn when they will be doing some paintball in Quinnsville) 

*IC they where in a location but never filled a form for that as that wasn't necesary in the past.

Technically, none of these troop rules are very new. We're just trying to make sure everyone can find the info.

All existing troops should be ok. And FYI, we're working on a form for keeping track of troop locations.

Note that to move troops off an island, they must be transported by ship through the Trade MRCA, using the transport formula in the raid rules: (class rating + cargo rating) x 5 = number of troops that a ship can transport.

Technically, none of these troop rules are very new. We're just trying to make sure everyone can find the info.

All existing troops should be ok. And FYI, we're working on a form for keeping track of troop locations.

Note that to move troops off an island, they must be transported by ship through the Trade MRCA, using the transport formula in the raid rules: (class rating + cargo rating) x 5 = number of troops that a ship can transport.

Not very new is relative for me :P as I've got a 4 month gap, where in shore peoples who are online daily will think it's already old, but get your point

I'm aware of the moving, you pointed that out in the PM already :P working on that. 

Just now, Bart said:

Not very new is relative for me :P as I've got a 4 month gap, where in shore peoples who are online daily will think it's already old

I forgot that! My bad.

Just now, Bart said:

I'm aware of the moving, you pointed that out in the PM already :P working on that

Yep, I knew you knew. :pir-grin:   I put that out there more for others, as it is something easily overlooked.

Just now, Maxim I said:

What about moving between islands in the same zone?

Crossing water requires shipping in the MRCA. Only movement from one settlement to another on the same island can be accomplished without boarding a ship.

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

Allow me to interject:

1) Yes, if you can pay for them, both raising and upkeep, and there is spare capacity in the given settlement to do so. (Faction troops will probably take precedence)

2) Hmm, not sure how this works tMRCA-wise, but before any Corlander gets any fancy ideas, if the faction finds you are conducting piracy, you will be in trouble. ;)

Perhaps I worded that first question wrong... What I am asking is: Could I purchase a literally army (2430 troops) right now for myself with my own personal funds? Or, would I have to raise them up slowly? I understand the settlement limits for troops, and those seem quite fair, but I am inquiring about raising a personal private army.

@Bregir: This is just out of curiosity, I don't plan on going rouge and trying to overthrow the government any time soon!

53 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

This is not covered by rules, but I believe one should always ask the "owner" of a settlement before raising troops there. And if in doubt, bring it up in the faction PM. That way no two players start planning recruitments in a place where they could not do it both at the same time. It also reduces the probability of other confusions or irritations.

I have done it like that in the past and will do so in the future.

I agree 110%. Good thing I'm a mayor then isn't it? :grin:

51 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

Yes, within the limits of the various settlements where he raises them. You could raise 30 troops in Large Town A and another 10 troops in Town B, but you would have to fill out the army form for troops from each location, and create an MOC for each one as well. The settlements you use would also need to be in your faction.

Note that troops can be raised by the various entities that can own property and ships: players, TCs, settlements, and factions. This is not to be confused with the location (settlement) used for raising the troops.

And Drunknok is correct that you should ask the mayor or owner of a settlement before using it as a recruitment location.

^See Above^

Just now, LM71Blackbird said:

Could I purchase a literally army (2430 troops) right now for myself with my own personal funds?

Well, yes, if you can find the settlements to allow you to raise that many troops.

Any settlement can only support recruiting troops up to its limit, regardless of who recruits the troops. I think that is what you meant?

So in practice, probably not. Aaand, you would have to be able to transport them too, unless you license them exactly where you need them.

Just now, LM71Blackbird said:

This is just out of curiosity, I don't plan on going rouge and trying to overthrow the government any time soon! 

I have my eyes on you! :P ;)

2 minutes ago, Bregir said:

(...)Aand, you would have to be able to transport them too, (...)

If I remember correctly Blackbird has been mass producing ships at some intervals :P

6 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Any settlement can only support recruiting troops up to its limit, regardless of who recruits the troops. I think that is what you meant?

Does that have any effect of the number of troops a settlement can garison? 

11 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Could I purchase a literally army (2430 troops) right now for myself with my own personal funds?

Right now the largest single settlement in BoBS can only produce 180 soldiers per turn. The second largest can produce 90. I don't think there are enough settlements in BoBS to produce 2430 troops at once! :pir-oh:

But there is no personal limit on your spending for raising an army, only the limits on where and how many soldiers can be recruited at a time.

Just now, Bart said:

Does that have any effect of the number of troops a settlement can garison? 

Nope, no limit on how many can be stationed there.

12 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Well, yes, if you can find the settlements to allow you to raise that many troops.

So in practice, probably not. Aaand, you would have to be able to transport them too, unless you license them exactly where you need them.

I have my eyes on you! :P ;)

Ah, I see. Yes that is what I was asking. Thanks for the clarification!

It shouldn't be too hard to keep track of what I'm doing from the other side of Cocovia! :laugh:

Just now, Bart said:

If I remember correctly Blackbird has been mass producing ships at some intervals :P

I you would be correct! In the future, I plan on going on a few more mass producing intervals. Ship building is so much fun!

Right now the largest single settlement in BoBS can only produce 180 soldiers per turn. The second largest can produce 90. I don't think there are enough settlements in BoBS to produce 2430 troops at once! :pir-oh:

But there is no personal limit on your spending for raising an army, only the limits on where and how many soldiers can be recruited at a time.

As mentioned above, thanks for the clarification!

Quinnsville has a limit of 90 at one time, so I guess slow and steady it is then!

4 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Quinnsville has a limit of 90 at one time, so I guess slow and steady it is then!

FYI, Quinnsville's limit is 60, not 90. It would need to be a large city for 90.

34 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

FYI, Quinnsville's limit is 60, not 90. It would need to be a large city for 90.

You would of course be correct, my mistake. However, it shouldn't be long before Quinnsville is a large city.