Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

Just now, SilentWolf said:

I would love to see the historical recipes and might even go ahead and try some if they sound interesting.

The biggest issue with food on ships in the Age of Sail is: it was not the least bit interesting in a culinary sense. Most of it boils down to "OMG, they actually ate this $#17!?" for todays taste. Travelling on board of a ship during those times was tough, and the food was part of the challenge. Interesting in terms of history? Definitely. Funny for a pirate themed party? Most likely. Delicious and tasty? Maybe once in a blue moon. :pir-grin:

What I take from the responses so far is that there is an interest for these kinds of recipes though. I have... material to offer... :pir-oh:

Just now, Drunknok said:

The biggest issue with food on ships in the Age of Sail is: it was not the least bit interesting in a culinary sense. Most of it boils down to "OMG, they actually ate this $#17!?" for todays taste. Travelling on board of a ship during those times was tough, and the food was part of the challenge. Interesting in terms of history? Definitely. Funny for a pirate themed party? Most likely. Delicious and tasty? Maybe once in a blue moon. :pir-grin:

What I take from the responses so far is that there is an interest for these kinds of recipes though. I have... material to offer... :pir-oh:

Maybe not persay ship rations from the stewie...  But maybe more mainland recipes that were popular during the time ... Like Hasenpfeffer ...  Which I do have an excellent recipe for if your interested... 

I enjoy the bombastic editorial shtick, and responding to it. The recipes . . . eh. Three years as the only kitchen staff for a daycare center has colored the way I think about meal planning, so you can take my opinion on the issue with half a grain of sea salt, a third of a twist of black pepper, seared in a pan with only a drop of canola oil.

Edited by gedren_y

3 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Maybe not persay ship rations from the stewie...  But maybe more mainland recipes that were popular during the time ... Like Hasenpfeffer ...  Which I do have an excellent recipe for if your interested... 

I have a good Christmas rum pudding recipe.

On 10/25/2018 at 11:22 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Maybe not persay ship rations from the stewie...  But maybe more mainland recipes that were popular during the time ...

Aye, I do have that as well (historical recipies in general are part of my "collectors interest").

On 10/25/2018 at 11:22 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Like Hasenpfeffer ...  Which I do have an excellent recipe for if your interested... 

I would love to see it! :thumbup:

On 10/26/2018 at 3:21 AM, Kwatchi said:

I have a good Christmas rum pudding recipe.

Again, I would love to see it. Please share!

On 10/25/2018 at 11:57 PM, gedren_y said:

Three years as the only kitchen staff for a daycare center has colored the way I think about meal planning, so you can take my opinion on the issue with half a grain of sea salt, a third of a twist of black pepper, seared in a pan with only a drop of canola oil.

Ha, I know where you come from! :pir-grin:

Still: if you have an idea about a recipe themed "feeding the whole boat full of rats at once" - please let me know. Some professional input (I am at best a hobby cook) would be appreciated!

I had the idea of a "BotBS Community Cookbook" before, so with some input from others there would be some material to work with. :thumbup:

Fortification is defensive, so probably not that fitting. I think art and culture would probably still fitting best. Unless you have your prisoners work, then you can make it a factory I guess :pir-laugh:

12 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

@Drunknok You're building a prison? DM me. I have ideas. I'll go halves with you.

Will do. :thumbup:

12 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

For my money, I was thinking of making it a fortification.

While it makes sense to have prison cells as part of a fort - I did it in both of mine so far, Fort Mesabi as well as West Shield - a prison on its own does not have the properties of a fort in my opinion. It does not provide any protection, it is not a military structure meant to fight off anybody (at least not from the outside :pir-grin:).

Funnily, the only category I found to describe a prison well enough is the residence:

A residence is where people live, and is not a place of production.

:pir-oh:

1 hour ago, Drunknok said:

Funnily, the only category I found to describe a prison well enough is the residence[...]

Actually that sounds quite right to me, unless as Legostone said your prisoners are factory workers.  Art and Culture just really doesn't fit the bill if you ask me.  And it also makes sense EGS-wise, because prisons aren't lucrative affairs.

4 hours ago, Legostone said:

Unless you have your prisoners work, then you can make it a factory I guess :pir-laugh:

I had not thought about it - great idea! Prisoners could turn rocks from the rock quarry into bricks, paving tiles and stuff like that. Hard physical work, repetitive and tiresome - perfect for prisoners!

I would have to put a bigger focus on the work being shown, but I really like this approach to a prison. Thank you for the inspiration! :thumbup:

P.S.: Basically a continuation of what @Ayrlego did in another form.

Edited by Drunknok

9 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

P.S.: Basically a continuation of what @Ayrlego did in another form.

Lol, I was just about to comment with a link to that one! I licensed it as a factory at the time and I think it's the best way of making your prisoners useful to society  the company!

The only prison I've made was this infamous one also in Mooreton Bay, it was art and culture based on the 'Government buildings' ruling.

The only other examples I can find are by @blackdeathgr (one and two) and it's unclear from the topics what they were licensed as. I suspect the first was a residence which also makes a lot of sense for a prison.

@Leadership

How are the combat rules coming?  The WTC feels a strong need to invade someone and we'd like to make sure that we can do so. 

Just now, Mesabi said:

@Leadership

How are the combat rules coming?  The WTC feels a strong need to invade someone and we'd like to make sure that we can do so. 

I second this question! I'm getting antsy to burn my coffers on a war! :cannon: :iamded_lol: 

Nothing in the near future I'm afraid.  We're working on other topics atm.

2 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

Nothing in the near future I'm afraid.  We're working on other topics atm.

Ah, I see... :cry_sad:

Can we get any sneak peaks on what you guys are cooking up for the near future?

5 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Ah, I see... :cry_sad:

Can we get any sneak peaks on what you guys are cooking up for the near future?

We are working on ways to make piracy more fun and feasible, particularly for the SR, but there will be a bite of good old classic pirate myth in it for everyone...

And I expect it to be out before the next mrca.

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

We are working on ways to make piracy more fun and feasible, particularly for the SR, but there will be a bite of good old classic pirate myth in it for everyone...

And I expect it to be out before the next mrca.

Sounds great, thanks for the sneak peek! :thumbup:

Whenever anything goes wrong, 

I simply say,

hasa diga eebowai! :pir-laugh: