Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

While raiding rules are being worked out, let's have a friendly soccer tournament in the meantime.  :pir-classic:

I have a quick question which I'm guessing would go here - is a rock quarry required to harvest stone for a settlement? A quarry is obviously a large scale project, but clearing stones from an area is vastly different. I ask simply because it would not make sense to build a property containing stone in a settlement without a quarry.

4 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

I have a quick question which I'm guessing would go here - is a rock quarry required to harvest stone for a settlement? A quarry is obviously a large scale project, but clearing stones from an area is vastly different. I ask simply because it would not make sense to build a property containing stone in a settlement without a quarry.

Stone was sometimes transported to build with (think wealthy buildings)

A stone quarry is a possible result for prospecting. So you can not build one without having a bit of luck first.

5 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

is a rock quarry required to harvest stone for a settlement?

If all you want to do is build stone buildings in a settlement, the settlement doesn't have to have a quarry. If you specifically want to have a quarry, you have to have a prospecting build first (and strike stone!).

There is nothing in the rules stating you can't build in stone in a settlement without a quarry. But you are always welcome to build in continuity of your own.

If you build a quarry for story, without the EGS mining system, just don't bother licensing it. Fill the freebuild form out, link it to a settlement (every build helps), and stop there. Then your stone building has a logical source. Or find out where the existing stone quarries are, and claim one of them as the source of the stone. Either way, the people in charge of the EGS processes don't have anything else added to their already complicated issues.

Edited by gedren_y

5 hours ago, gedren_y said:

If you build a quarry for story, without the EGS mining system, just don't bother licensing it. Fill the freebuild form out, link it to a settlement (every build helps), and stop there. Then your stone building has a logical source. Or find out where the existing stone quarries are, and claim one of them as the source of the stone. Either way, the people in charge of the EGS processes don't have anything else added to their already complicated issues.

Good point. :thumbup:

There is a big stone quarry in Mesabi Landing, and the WTC is happy to deal with anybody.

Another option is to do a build that focuses on the production side of stonework - maybe by doing not only bricks, but statues and similar things too - and make it an artisan.

So I was thinking... with the new raiding rules (and soon coming land combat?), has there been any thought to adding blockades? During the age of sail it would be quite common for ships to blockade a port in war time. I've got no idea how it could be implemented, but thought I'd bring it out see if we can get a consensus on it maybe...

1 hour ago, LM71Blackbird said:

So I was thinking... with the new raiding rules (and soon coming land combat?), has there been any thought to adding blockades? During the age of sail it would be quite common for ships to blockade a port in war time. I've got no idea how it could be implemented, but thought I'd bring it out see if we can get a consensus on it maybe...

You can maintain a blockade by sailing ships to the zone in front of the harbour each month. Just like in reality, it will not be perfect, and it will carry risks, but it can be done. No need to invent a new mechanic for this to complicate the game further.

10 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

8 hours ago, Bregir said:

You can maintain a blockade by sailing ships to the zone in front of the harbour each month. Just like in reality, it will not be perfect, and it will carry risks, but it can be done.

Yep, this. Corrington had a fairly effective blockade on one of the Sea Rat ports earlier this year.

The lamps are lit at the offices of the Kings Port Advertiser and Ship List, and messengers have been seen going to and from the building...

23 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

The lamps are lit at the offices of the Kings Port Advertiser and Ship List, and messengers have been seen going to and from the building...

Sooo... the beacons are lit? :pir-grin:

2 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

@Capt Wolf If the messenger has arrived in time before she's gone to print please include the following notice:

13 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Will I be able to complete my AMRCA action on Monday? 

11 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

Will I be able to complete my AMRCA action on Monday? 

Your AMRCA only has to be done before the next deadline (to be announced), not before the publishing date ;)

19 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Great news! We all missed the KPA! :classic:

Shower thought: One of the challenges at some point should be a battle royale/hunger games knock-out competition, with the chance to kill-off your non-sig stand-in in funny/gruesome ways. I will happily elaborate if you need me to. 

18 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

Shower thought: One of the challenges at some point should be a battle royale/hunger games knock-out competition, with the chance to kill-off your non-sig stand-in in funny/gruesome ways. I will happily elaborate if you need me to. 

I kind of like the idea. Since you can always make up characters on the spot, and do not have to enter one you do not want to lose, there is no real "risk" involved. It could make up for some great and/or hilarious stories though! :thumbup:

Keep in mind that you can already risk your characters life though: you can always come up with a story collaboration with somebody to decide the fate of a certain character of yours.

19 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Multi contestant duel? :O

Tournament of Retribution: BoBS edition!! :devil:

(With 4 sides, instead of just Red vs Blue.) :sadnew:

:grin: 

7 hours ago, Bregir said:

Multi contestant duel? :O

I was thinking it might be a fun way of dishing out new territories, when that next happens. 

Put a bunch of under-equipped redshirts on an island and watch the heads roll.

Just noticed in Octobers Account Summary that Zublius Von Wreck (NPC pirate) is currently in the red. Does that have any ingame implications?

On a similar issue: what happens to players who are in the red for some time?