Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

When it comes to settlement size, each "level" comes with certain stats, one of which is "Militia Size by Crew Attribute". For example a Large Town has a MSbCA of 1. What does that mean IC and in EGS terms?

47 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

When it comes to settlement size, each "level" comes with certain stats, one of which is "Militia Size by Crew Attribute". For example a Large Town has a MSbCA of 1. What does that mean IC and in EGS terms?

Consider each level of Crew Attribute/MSbCA equivalent to half a Platoon (so 5 men). Right now, in practise it doesn't do anything, but once raiding returns to the MRCA or other related combat arrives it'll help a bit with defense.

1 minute ago, Legostone said:

Consider each level of Crew Attribute/MSbCA equivalent to half a Platoon (so 5 men). Right now, in practise it doesn't do anything, but once raiding returns to the MRCA or other related combat arrives it'll help a bit with defense.

Is this something people represent with builds? How is the militia related to other armed forces?

16 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

Is this something people represent with builds? How is the militia related to other armed forces?

As far as I remember its just an automatic part of town growth; once a certain size is reached some people living there want to help out defend their town or something like that :pir-laugh:

As to other armed forces - Unlike regular troops I believe they are locked to their location, but in a case of a fight they are counted the same as regular troops. All this is subject to change once combat gets overhauled...

6 minutes ago, Bart said:

Out of curiosity do any of the fractions (other then the Sea Rats for obvious reasons) issue letters of marque

To the best of my knowledge, not currently, as there are no ongoing wars. Corrington, at least, isn't.

8 minutes ago, Bart said:

Out of curiosity do any of the fractions (other then the Sea Rats for obvious reasons) issue letters of marque

Just now, Bregir said:

To the best of my knowledge, not currently, as there are no ongoing wars. Corrington, at least, isn't.

But when a state of war exists, the factions certainly do.

Those planning to license ships in the next couple days - can you please wait a little bit? We are currently changing stuff around and each filled out form now until everything is moved over means a manual entry for us.

57 minutes ago, Legostone said:

Those planning to license ships in the next couple days - can you please wait a little bit? We are currently changing stuff around and each filled out form now until everything is moved over means a manual entry for us.

Only ships, or all kinds of licenses?

On 2/12/2018 at 7:54 PM, Drunknok said:

Only ships, or all kinds of licenses?

Only ships, don't worry about the other stuff (and don't worry about the ship you licensed earlier, I've already taken care of that one)

Edit: The ship form works again and you can use it again (won't break anything and the entries will be saved), but don't expect the ships to show up that soon; we still need to relink some google sheets. 

38460999600_575de40168.jpg

To all noteworthy citizens of the Brick Seas,

King's Harbour has recently received Royal Recognition as a city of the Empire, and to celebrate this, Colonial Governor Jtno. Cooke, Captain, RN, wishes to invite dignitaries of all nations to a ball in the soon to be opened Governor's House (See spolier). One of the first events of its kind in Terra Nova, the Governor hopes that socialites from all over the Brick Seas will make their way to King's Harbour to join in the festivities, the banquet, and the following ball. (Dancing optional)

Should you be interested in attending, please send your card to King's Harbour so the event can be planned accordingly.

Your host,

Captain Jno. Cooke, RN

Colonial Governor, The Southern Isles

Spoiler

40251367091_cf475dfc0e.jpg

OOC: Why not celebrate? I am building a ballroom and thought I might as well populate it. I hope to see many sig figs or their representatives making their way to King's Harbour, and will try to recreate everyone who attends to the best of my abilities. Fleshies might be "yellowfied" and I might need a little help in identifying proper parts, but I will do my best.

I will of course highly encourage a few story builds leading up to the ball getting your characters to King's Harbour, and you are welcome to build here while you are at it, but it is not a requirement. Only the most obvious plotholes will be denied. (eg. if your character is known to be far way to the south. But then you can always send someone else).

If anyone wants to interact specifically with some of the other guests, I will do my best to show that in the build. Just let me know - it may be a good opportunity to talk to a friend, prospective business partner, or strike secret political deals.

I can't make any promises as to timing, but my best guess is in about a month. I think this will be fun :)

Edit: All credit for the coat of arms goes to @Kolonialbeamter

Please respond to the invitation here:

That's a beautiful coat of arms... and a great idea and neat looking ball room so far! :thumbup:

Figs of mine who would be happy to show up if you can build them :grin: - in the spoiler:

Spoiler

35640651903_6eb621b43a_z.jpg

The famous Captain Whiffo of the ETWC Henri... - would not be adverse to dancing, especially if it's the sword dance :laugh:

26408513914_5eb912bbb5_z.jpg

Captain Myles Bowditch of the Fog-Breaker (who really is very difficult to build - but if you happen to have the parts, he'd be happy to show up!) - probably not adverse to dancing either, if you persuade him.  

39256948012_e6eff8d9f9_z.jpg

Mysterious Captain of the Midnight's Mist... and I have no idea if he dances or not - you'll have to consult with him yourself :tongue: :grin:

24630283617_942b42d968_z.jpg

This cool dude who's going incognito for the moment... but that doesn't mean he would miss out on a gathering like this!  For a trimmed beard, see second from right here.  Could probably be found in conversation with one of Kwatchi's characters or anybody else there with piratical tendencies or leanings (maybe Mesabi and co. :pir_tong2: :pir-laugh:)

Of course I don't expect you to be able to fit all of those guys in there, but I figured I'd throw them out there in case you had the parts for one or two!  If you want you could let me know if you settle on one or another, and I may be able to do a build or two of story for them getting there... I shan't promise anything, though, as my building schedule's really rather packed already! :pir-grin:

9 hours ago, Bregir said:

To all noteworthy citizens of the Brick Seas,

King's Harbour has recently received Royal Recognition as a city of the Empire

And ingame that translates to a "Large Town" I am afraid. :tongue:

Spoiler

JW3d6Da.jpg

This screenshot was taken just minutes ago, so somebody forgot to license something (i.e. made a mistake), and somebody else did not check before making an announcement... does that sound familiar? :wink:

How about a seperate thread for replies to the invitation? That could be useful for keeping those minifig discussions in one place, and not clutter up this thread.

6 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

And ingame that translates to a "Large Town" I am afraid. :tongue:

Maybe someone knows that @Captain Dee's cannon foundry artisan will bring the settlement to city status and finds that justifies it? :pir-wink:

8 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

How about a seperate thread for replies to the invitation?

Good idea - it has been created here:

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

Maybe someone knows that @Captain Dee's cannon foundry artisan will bring the settlement to city status and finds that justifies it? :pir-wink:

Still a very odd definition of "has recently received". :pir_tong2:

3 hours ago, Bregir said:

I'm a day late, sorry. I just submit the form, so @Bregir you can license it as planned. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Drunknok said:
Spoiler

...This screenshot was taken just minutes ago, so somebody forgot to license something (i.e. made a mistake), and somebody else did not check before making an announcement... does that sound familiar? :wink: ...

Imagine what an inconvenience instantaneousity would have been back in the age of sail... even the WTC could have called you out... :pir_laugh2:

please ignore

Bart

Edited by Bart
i ducked up

Question about morale. 

Someone (I honestly don't remember who or even when) ones posted an lxf file of a ship hull to download. the hull was build based on @Captain Green Hair's tutorial on how to build a frigate, maybe he did post the lxf. but the original name of the document is in German so I don't know ...

Anyway the model was very basic, only the prefabs hull and the technique to start the tumble home. 

But the question is: Can I use this in a MOC for BOBS, I'd like to use only the bow section, and add my self the mast, bowsprit, figure head, yards, rigging, capstan, etc etc.
It's not the mayor part of the MOC, which will qualify as a large land based MOC. But due to the fact it's a ship with a mast and such it's big next to another big thing.

Or is CGH's tumblehome technique become so common that it's not even an issue, and I'm worried for nothing.

When I'm building in LDD, I always try to copy paste as least as possible. And even if I do, I try to change details so there isn't appearing a patern, where there isn't supposed to be one. 

Bart

As long as you acknowledge that you are using an existing hull design, and give credit if you can, I don't think anyone will mind. I have created a few LDD ships, and do share the .lxf files when I post them. I'd be flattered if one of my hull designs gets reused.

1 hour ago, Bart said:

the question is: Can I use this in a MOC for BOBS

This is just my opinion on the matter ... Mention my name at starbucks and they will give you a coffee for full price ... But imitation is the greatest form of flattery and if you know the "source" of the techniques give them credit ... But I think most of us here see techniques and use them to suit our needs in one way or another ... I think it makes the "community" better for it.  Besides I've only come across one technique where I hadn't even a clue how it was accomplished.

As far as if it is the Greenhair hull plan ... I think the fact he made a Frigate tutorial on here your good to go

2 hours ago, Bart said:

But the question is: Can I use this in a MOC for BOBS, I'd like to use only the bow section, and add my self the mast, bowsprit, figure head, yards, rigging, capstan, etc etc.
It's not the mayor part of the MOC, which will qualify as a large land based MOC. But due to the fact it's a ship with a mast and such it's big next to another big thing.

If the ship is to be used in the EGS it has to be considered a new creation. So if the lxf file only includes the prefabs and the beginning of the sloping sides, I see no issue in using it. And if it contains more, rework it until you can honestly say it is your own moc. Of course, you should always credit the original, since it has formed the base, just like most people try to credit techniques they reuse.

The ship isn't going to be used as a ship, it's part of a land based construction. 
There are other ship parts in/on/around the creation too, which I build purposely for this moc.

But when I come around to posting it, I will give credit in that topic aswell.