Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

8 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Ok, so I'm working on my Character and backstory, I just had a couple of more questions. (1) How much leniency do I have towards uniform design and colors? (2) Can I start out with a custom ship MOC, and if so is there a size limit (I assume I can't start out with a fleet of 80-gun, ships of the line?)? (3) Can I create and command my own private military force/companies whenever or do I need permission (I assume proper character progression is needed as well?)? (4, last one) What does WTC and OOC stand for? Thank you in advance! Brick on!

(1) Plenty of leniency on design and colors, although generally trying to incorporate the faction color is a good idea. Not many Corries go marching around in green. :pir-grin:

(2) You are limited only by cost. Your first class 2 ship is free, so that's a good place to start. Anything bigger will cost more to license (and thus use in the MCRA) than you will have funds initially. That said, your chosen faction will likely have several players willing to serve as benefactors to loan you money if you're dead set on a big ship.

(3) There are limits on how many troops can be raised at a time, and they also come with costs. Leaving room for character development is also good. Work with your chosen faction to work any troops into the bigger picture. Corrington might want to make sure your troops are part of an official Queen's Regiment or some such, whereas Eslandola's trade companies have private militias all over the place.

(4) WTC is a Corrington trade company; I think it stands for Wayfarer Trading Company. OOC is "out of character" (as opposed to IC / "in character") to distinguish when it is the characters speaking or the players themselves speaking.

17 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

(1) How much leniency do I have towards uniform design and colors?

Quite a bit. You may consider making the uniform consistent with the timer period and your faction's colors (a green coat on a Corrish officer would be strange), but there are no serious limitations.

(2) Can I start out with a custom ship MOC, and if so is there a size limit (I assume I can't start out with a fleet of 80-gun, ships of the line?)?

You are required to start out with custom MOCs. All ships in this game are custom, and there is no maximum size limit. You may not be able to afford licensing an 80-gun ship, but there is nothing stopping you from building it, having your character sail around in it (strictly for your story, no MCRA benefits), and then ultimately licensing it when the time is right. Your faction leaders should be able to help you more. 

(3) Can I create and command my own private military force/companies whenever or do I need permission (I assume proper character progression is needed as well?)?

Character progression is a good thing and encouraged, but there are no rules requiring it. You do need DBs (the in-game currency) to license troops, ships, and properties. Private militaries are likely to be determined on a faction-by-faction basis, but I think most factions would permit you to raise your own troops provided you don't go starting any wars.

(4, last one) What does WTC and OOC stand for?

WTC=Wayfarer Trade Company. One of several trade companies in the game. Others include RNTC, ETTC, MAESTRO, and MCTC (I think I forgot one or two). 

OOC=Out-of-character

IC=In-character

The last two are used to help determine when a response is your character's reaction or your personal reaction.

11 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

(1) Plenty of leniency on design and colors, although generally trying to incorporate the faction color is a good idea. Not many Corries go marching around in green. :pir-grin:

(2) You are limited only by cost. Your first class 2 ship is free, so that's a good place to start. Anything bigger will cost more to license (and thus use in the MCRA) than you will have funds initially. That said, your chosen faction will likely have several players willing to serve as benefactors to loan you money if you're dead set on a big ship.

(3) There are limits on how many troops can be raised at a time, and they also come with costs. Leaving room for character development is also good. Work with your chosen faction to work any troops into the bigger picture. Corrington might want to make sure your troops are part of an official Queen's Regiment or some such, whereas Eslandola's trade companies have private militias all over the place.

(4) WTC is a Corrington trade company; I think it stands for Wayfarer Trading Company. OOC is "out of character" (as opposed to IC / "in character") to distinguish when it is the characters speaking or the players themselves speaking.

7 minutes ago, Captain Genaro said:

Quite a bit. You may consider making the uniform consistent with the timer period and your faction's colors (a green coat on a Corrish officer would be strange), but there are no serious limitations.

You are required to start out with custom MOCs. All ships in this game are custom, and there is no maximum size limit. You may not be able to afford licensing an 80-gun ship, but there is nothing stopping you from building it, having your character sail around in it (strictly for your story, no MCRA benefits), and then ultimately licensing it when the time is right. Your faction leaders should be able to help you more. 

Character progression is a good thing and encouraged, but there are no rules requiring it. You do need DBs (the in-game currency) to license troops, ships, and properties. Private militaries are likely to be determined on a faction-by-faction basis, but I think most factions would permit you to raise your own troops provided you don't go starting any wars.

WTC=Wayfarer Trade Company. One of several trade companies in the game. Others include RNTC, ETTC, MAESTRO, and MCTC (I think I forgot one or two). 

OOC=Out-of-character

IC=In-character

The last two are used to help determine when a response is your character's reaction or your personal reaction.

Awesome! I think that's all I need to know for now. Thank you very much for all the help and I look forward to sailing the Brick Seas with you all very soon!

11 hours ago, SkaForHire said:

It has been asked for for a while since we started allowing stuff to happen in the Old World -- here is the rest of the known world pre-exploration. 

39755399861_171f2ff54d_c.jpgSouthern Halos by skaforhire, on Flickr

Have at it peoples. 

Haha, I'm going to have some fun. Thanks @SkaForHire!

27 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Ok, so I'm working on my Character and backstory, I just had a couple of more questions. (1) How much leniency do I have towards uniform design and colors? (2) Can I start out with a custom ship MOC, and if so is there a size limit (I assume I can't start out with a fleet of 80-gun, ships of the line?)? (3) Can I create and command my own private military force/companies whenever or do I need permission (I assume proper character progression is needed as well?)? (4, last one) What does WTC and OOC stand for? Thank you in advance! Brick on!

Just a few comments to

2)

• You can start out with any ship you want/can build. However, you can license one free class 2 vessel from the beginning, so that is where most people start. I would also suggest starting there, as most people find it more fun to work up from relatively simple beginnings, rather than starting out as a too powerful character. It also makes for a more believable character, that people are more likely to want to interact with. :)

and...

3)

• In Corrington, we have defined some ranks that are free for the players to play in the royal navy and the army (up to Captain for the Army and Commander for the navy). Promotions above that have to be earned and granted by the crown.
  • You can technically have all the troops and ships you can afford. (They have to be paid for, if they are to be used for game purposes)
    If you decide not to license them, you can have all you can build. (But they will only have a limited effect on actual game events.)
  • Corrington, Eslandola, and Oleon represent countries, and military and diplomatic decisions are made by central governments, so if what you are going for is total freedom to use your troops and ships as you please, the Sea Rats is the place to go. If you are interested in playing part of a national army or navy, you can of course do that within the other three factions. If you want to operate a private, mercenary army or navy, you can technically do that in any faction, but I think the sea rats with its limited government would be the place to go.

In any case, welcome to BoBS! :)

23 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Awesome! I think that's all I need to know for now. Thank you very much for all the help and I look forward to sailing the Brick Seas with you all very soon!

Glad to help. Welcome to BoBS!

And I must say, I love both of the builds featured in your signature. Nice blackbird especially!

7 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Just a few comments to

2)

• You can start out with any ship you want/can build. However, you can license one free class 2 vessel from the beginning, so that is where most people start. I would also suggest starting there, as most people find it more fun to work up from relatively simple beginnings, rather than starting out as a too powerful character. It also makes for a more believable character, that people are more likely to want to interact with. :)

and...

3)

• In Corrington, we have defined some ranks that are free for the players to play in the royal navy and the army (up to Captain for the Army and Commander for the navy). Promotions above that have to be earned and granted by the crown.
  • You can technically have all the troops and ships you can afford. (They have to be paid for, if they are to be used for game purposes)
    If you decide not to license them, you can have all you can build. (But they will only have a limited effect on actual game events.)
  • Corrington, Eslandola, and Oleon represent countries, and military and diplomatic decisions are made by central governments, so if what you are going for is total freedom to use your troops and ships as you please, the Sea Rats is the place to go. If you are interested in playing part of a national army or navy, you can of course do that within the other three factions. If you want to operate a private, mercenary army or navy, you can technically do that in any faction, but I think the sea rats with its limited government would be the place to go.

In any case, welcome to BoBS! :)

Yeah, I can see how if someone tried to come in as a know-it-all, king-in-your-own-mind kind of character, you probably wouldn't have people begging you to be friends. I have a rough idea for a backstory that should hopefully flow nicely with current events.

I'm pretty set on joining Corrington (even though I'm not the biggest fan of red and black, I can work with it and use some white). I would be a loyal subject that would only use a private military to help advance and protect the borders of Corrington. I have no intention of trying to overthrow the government. I like law and order, not chaos.

Thank you for all the help!

9 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

Glad to help. Welcome to BoBS!

And I must say, I love both of the builds featured in your signature. Nice blackbird especially!

Thank you! If you feel extra supportive, there both on Lego Ideas!

35 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

I'm pretty set on joining Corrington (even though I'm not the biggest fan of red and black, I can work with it and use some white). I would be a loyal subject that would only use a private military to help advance and protect the borders of Corrington. I have no intention of trying to overthrow the government. I like law and order, not chaos.

We would love to have you in Corrington!

While Corringtons "official" colours are red, black and white, you are not bound to use them all the time (unless you want to do a soldier/officer/whatnot of the Crown). Red comes in different shades, and you can substitute different greys for white. As a civilian you are free to use whatever colours you like.

A little bit of advertisement: I am one of the two players of the WTC, we are currently the most active trade organisation in the game. The WTC has military (and civil) forces of its own, and while they are kind of troublemakers, the WTC is (and always has been) loyal to the Crown. We might be the right choice for you, and if you have any questions I am happy to help.

@LM71Blackbird Great to get another Corlander, and i can't wait to see what you come up with for your intro.

As the other member of the WTC, if you do like chaos, insanity, and evil, the WTC would be happy to receive you as well. We like to use the tusken raider torsos as our uniforms, so we have a little different colours than the rest of Corrington. Although @Bregir is a madman and uses blue torsos for high ranking officers :pir-tongue:.

4 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

Although @Bregir is a madman and uses blue torsos for high ranking officers :pir-tongue:.

Confirmed for the madman part, but only for naval officers on the colour part :pir-wink:

Dark blue (revolutionary soldier) torso'es and red legs is the way to go for any respectable officer of her Royal Majesty's Royal Navy! :pir-grin:

7 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Confirmed for the madman part, but only for naval officers on the colour part :pir-wink:

Dark blue (revolutionary soldier) torso'es and red legs is the way to go for any respectable officer of her Royal Majesty's Royal Navy! :pir-grin:

Thats why Im a sea rat hahaha I can wear red pants or blue pants ... If Im feeling a wild hair I might even wear green or orange pant .... Hahaha the best part is flying any flag I please ...given the moneys right lol

As an example of how "private forces" can look: an overview of the WTC Forces. Those are Corrington in the end, so you see it does not have to be red/white/black all the time.

There is lots of room for your own ideas, that is all I am trying to say.

1 hour ago, Drunknok said:

As an example of how "private forces" can look: an overview of the WTC Forces. Those are Corrington in the end, so you see it does not have to be red/white/black all the time.

There is lots of room for your own ideas, that is all I am trying to say.

MAESTRO has their own forces (I think around 360 soldiers so far) as well. Every Eslandolan Trade Company has their own troops. I think even ETWC has some troops (or at least monkeys)

Charlatan Bay had its own mercenary soldiers for a while... until I had Mardier slaughter them IC.   If a Sea Rat can have their own private army, I figure anyone could.

Edited by Kwatchi

8 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Thats why Im a sea rat hahaha I can wear red pants or blue pants ... If Im feeling a wild hair I might even wear green or orange pant .... Hahaha the best part is flying any flag I please ...given the moneys right lol

There is much freedom being a Sea Rats.  You can let it all hang out freely too if you don't feel like wearing anything. There is no dress code in the rules.  :pir_laugh2:

13 hours ago, dr_spock said:

There is much freedom being a Sea Rats.  You can let it all hang out freely too if you don't feel like wearing anything. There is no dress code in the rules.  :pir_laugh2:

No dress dress code? :tongue:

2 hours ago, Sir Stig said:

Not exactly.  You can wear a dress if you want.  It just doesn't have to be up to code. :pir-grin:

So I'm almost ready to join, I just need to write my intro (I've got some nice renders to help my story flow nice, hopefully!). I understand that I would get a free class 2 ship license, just wanted to make sure this would be an acceptable build? It is a Naval Cutter with four 4-pound cannons. Thanks again! I'm hoping to write my intro tonight!

28006774759_0a6224b469_n.jpgImperial Cutter by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

54 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

So I'm almost ready to join, I just need to write my intro (I've got some nice renders to help my story flow nice, hopefully!). I understand that I would get a free class 2 ship license, just wanted to make sure this would be an acceptable build? It is a Naval Cutter with four 4-pound cannons. Thanks again! I'm hoping to write my intro tonight!Imperial Cutter by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

That should definitely work for a class 2. It's a very nice design, looking forward to seeing more when you officially post it! I especially like the colours, something tells me you're joining the right faction :wink:

2 hours ago, Flavius Gratian said:

That should definitely work for a class 2. It's a very nice design, looking forward to seeing more when you officially post it! I especially like the colours, something tells me you're joining the right faction :wink:

Awesome! Thank you very much! I'm going to write my intro tonight.

If you mean Corrington, then yes! That's definitely the right faction!

Edited by LM71Blackbird

10 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Could someone could direct me to the proper place to register/claim a Class 2 ship please? Thanks in advance!

First you need a thread showing your ship MOC. Then you have to fill out the ship licensing form.

37 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Could someone could direct me to the proper place to register/claim a Class 2 ship please? Thanks in advance!

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdMG7MXjOFD4dm6p4oTgS8rLf0rCzRrPp5L3wVK0LEFjGwgLQ/viewform

Though you need to start a new topic on the BoBS starting page where you show pictures of the ship and, hopefully write story on its background, to be able to license it.

You can also find it in the Master Index: 

Edited by Flavius Gratian

21 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

First you need a thread showing your ship MOC. Then you have to fill out the ship licensing form.

Ok, that won't be a problem. Just need to make some more renders!

20 minutes ago, Flavius Gratian said:

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdMG7MXjOFD4dm6p4oTgS8rLf0rCzRrPp5L3wVK0LEFjGwgLQ/viewform

Though you need to start a new topic on the BoBS starting page where you show pictures of the ship and, hopefully wright story on its background, to be able to license it.

You can also find it in the Master Index: 

Thank you! Yes, I can think of a nice background story for my ship. I've already got some ideas flowing!

On 1/19/2018 at 10:23 AM, Sir Stig said:

Like this?

28049761709_377edf2fa4_c.jpg