Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

Dear all,

You can now start licensing your ships in this form:

Ship licensing form

There will be no general controlling of the chosen classes, but the Naval Licensing and Prize Court and the Brethren Court reserves the right to step in if players do not follow the spirit of the classes (in terms of sizes).

/Bregir

Yes!  Awesome, thanks to all those leaders who've been working to make the new ship stats and MRCA workable! :pir-sweet:

So, as we get into Era II, I'd like to bring up a few things in relation to the Backstory of BoBS.

So, so far, we've really only been able to do things in the "Caribbean"  region of the BoBS universe. And that's fine, I'm not complaining.

But, I'd really like to be able to visit more of the world of BoBS. In real life, age of sail trips traveled to africa, and india, and japan. There was the british conquest of india, and china, japan's isolationism, slave trade, all of these things were a part of the age of sail. 

And personally, I feel a little trapped in the BoBS caribbean. 

I don't know what the solution is to this. I mean the simple solution is to just draw some maps and let us settle over there. And maybe you plan to do this with the adventure MCRA, I know one of us corlanders mentioned doing something going to the Mokolei empire. But really, I haven't heard anyone talk about any of this, so I'd like to bring it up.

Maybe this is me being a ungrateful jerk. But, at some point in the future. I would like to invade india. 

3 hours ago, Mesabi said:

So, as we get into Era II, I'd like to bring up a few things in relation to the Backstory of BoBS.

So, so far, we've really only been able to do things in the "Caribbean"  region of the BoBS universe. And that's fine, I'm not complaining.

But, I'd really like to be able to visit more of the world of BoBS. In real life, age of sail trips traveled to africa, and india, and japan. There was the british conquest of india, and china, japan's isolationism, slave trade, all of these things were a part of the age of sail. 

I don't know what the solution is to this. I mean the simple solution is to just draw some maps and let us settle over there. And maybe you plan to do this with the adventure MCRA, I know one of us corlanders mentioned doing something going to the Mokolei empire. But really, I haven't heard anyone talk about any of this, so I'd like to bring it up.

Maybe this is me being a ungrateful jerk. But, at some point in the future. I would like to invade india. 

It is up to you to discover those other worlds! We have received our start map last ERA and we explored a bit of the world in the east. In ERA II, we have the chance to discover the map in any direction we want! So feel free to send missions to the most southwestern part possible to map and explore the world :)

Those areas are already on a map, a map that is not available for public as long as no-one explores that region. It is a very interactive world we live in, so go ahead and explore!

The only thing we agreed on since the beginning is not to include slavery in BOBS.

5 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Well you don't really have to stay within the Caribbean area, you could go further West and perhaps discover a somewhat Chinese civilisation (just don't sell them opium). Really it's completely up to you. While I wouldn't say your only limited by your imagination there is a lot to explore so you can just make up some stuff to suit your stories. As you mentioned I'm currently preparing for an Expedition to the Mokolei Empire because I don't feel that I can build in the Caribbean style that well, you could do the exact same thing. I would however advise you not to invade India.

Edited by Lord Buckethead

4 hours ago, Mesabi said:

You have every chance to do what you ask. The countries of the old world are open for you to explore (and by Era II you can even license builds there), just like Lord Buckethead is doing with the Mokolei empire. Halos is full of countries that we know very little about, but that are inspired by India, Mongolia, the mameluks or similar.

So if you want to go to civilised, yet foreign countries to spread the wonders of the WTC, you are very welcome to do so. And we would have the lore developed as we go along.

And as Maxim says, there might be civilised empires to the north, south and east too, but someone will have to find them, and/or invent them. BoBs is what we create. I believe the most culturally civilised people yet found in Terra Nova are the Myzectlan of Cascadia, and they were entirely invented by players.

As long as you stay within the spirit of BoBs, you can almost invent anything you like, both in the old and the new world. But very little exists already - the whole point is that we enable and create the world with our builds and stories. It's not a MMORPG where someone has built a whole world in advance. It's really more like Minecraft, where a "blank" terrain and a set of rules and a historical period is made available for you to build its contents with your fellow players.

So use those options to what you wish for. That is the magic of BoBs! :)

The constriction of the Caribbean is entirely in your mind!

2 minutes ago, Bregir said:

most culturally civilised people yet found in Terra Nova are the Myzectlan of Cascadia

There are also the Tenoxteclans from Berelli/Anetta ;)

invading India, hum, maybe not the best idea Count Mesabi.:pir-oh: I see your points and understand you want explore new world, which does not exist yet, I mean there are no factions representing them, and you should use your imagination to invent them. The thing is one's imagination does not have limits, if I let my imagination gallop, I may easily imagine annihilate all the opponents of Oleon:pir-grin:. Luckily there are rules and real players who are there to prevent me doing so. The essence of RPG game is to interact with other players and not play only with our own imagination :pir-laugh:. Here's my point, it could be better if one of us play the role of this fictive faction, I'm not proposing to create a brand new faction, just something like a part-time job, while devoting full hearted to our respective faction. For example I'm now planning to buy more ninja sets and I can perfectly act as the Eastern faction of Mesabi's adventure, temporarily of course. I think by so doing we can have more "conventional" builds and reduce the occurence of unnecessary brutality and oppression.

Just now, Bodi said:

invading India, hum, maybe not the best idea Count Mesabi.:pir-oh: I see your points and understand you want explore new world, which does not exist yet, I mean there are no factions representing them, and you should use your imagination to invent them. The thing is one's imagination does not have limits, if I let my imagination gallop, I may easily imagine annihilate all the opponents of Oleon:pir-grin:. Luckily there are rules and real players who are there to prevent me doing so. The essence of RPG game is to interact with other players and not play only with our own imagination :pir-laugh:. Here's my point, it could be better if one of us play the role of this fictive faction, I'm not proposing to create a brand new faction, just something like a part-time job, while devoting full hearted to our respective faction. For example I'm now planning to buy more ninja sets and I can perfectly act as the Eastern faction of Mesabi's adventure, temporarily of course. I think by so doing we can have more "conventional" builds and reduce the occurence of unnecessary brutality and oppression.

I think this is also what is going to happen :)

In the beginning of BoBS, there were a few skirmishes between the 4 PC factions and some NPC factions. The NPC factions were represented by 3 random BoBs players to build for the NPC faction. In the end, a vote determined what side won.

I think/hope something will be similar here. All those NPC factions can be represented by gamemasters and BoBS leaders. And by dices as well ofcourse.

If you discover a new place, you got some options I can think off:

• Start trade relations (to be determined by the game master / dice). It is stupid to let other players determine if that newly discovered faction is hostile or not.
  • Conquer. Here the other players can play the NPC and through a serie of builds, it will be determined who wins. Ofcourse some events determined by dice rolls can occur.

---

What I would like to see however is some kind of nation influence points. By setting up agreements, building in a NPC faction, helping them in wars, having alliances, founding embassies, ..., players can collect NIP's from that faction. The player with the most NIP's can "influence" that faction.

• Real life: see it as a company/person having so much influence over another entity, it can influence the other entity their actions.
  • examples:
    • 2 players are racing against eachother to gain as much influence over a region as possible. The moment one of the two has the necessary influence, they can ally with the region or even force the region to seize all belongings of the other player.
      • In the latter case, this will be catastrophal for the relations between both players.
    • a player has enough influence in a region, it can start a rebellion against the current owners of the region.
    • When discovering a new region/faction, a player can "claim" that faction, declaring all other players that building up an amount of influence over this region, can result in diplomatic trouble.
      • other players can evaluate if the region/faction is interesting enough to start a war with the faction/player claiming the newly discovered faction/region.
  • The larger the faction/region, the more NIP's a player need to have some sort of influence.
  • inspiration: Imperial Glory
    • Once a nation likes you enough, it joins you in wars and if you have the max number of influence, it becomes a part of your nation.

Just for the record: As for all RP, you cannot define the actions of others. Therefore, you may make a series of builds showing an invasion of the Mokolei empire, but the moment you start defining the outcome, you are transgressing against the game. Thus, you may expect to be met with a sizeable NPC force trying to kick you back in the ocean/across the border, or other sanctions from the game masters.

Smaller events can be played out through build offs (like the ones we've had in the past) or through the adventure MRCA.

In general, the Brethren Court will act as gamemasters and ensure that these interactions makes sense, and that effort and result is both balanced and in line with the overall story line. Thus, if we all started building a war against mardier on Halos, it is likely that over time, the war would be won. But if count Mesabi singlehandedly invades the Mokolei empire, I am quite convinced he will quickly find himself with no money or troops (on acocunt of Mokolei troops), but with a return ticket home to Corrington in disgrace. (And probably also sanctions... :P )

21 hours ago, Maxim I said:

What I would like to see however is some kind of nation influence points

Maxim, I see where you are going. But from my chair we've got plenty of mathematics and rules in this game already with the EGS. :)

But we can achieve the same with active game masters who stay well on top of what happens in BoBS. For instance, we are well-aware that you personally have done quite a bit to cultivate relations to Garvey, but also that the Garvey-Eslandola relation otherwise is less developed in the lore.

Such things will be taken into consideration, whether it is a build off, the adventure MRCA, or a larger event.

Will some things sometimes be forgotten or attributed little importance? Will it sometimes feel unfair? Yes, of course, but building (yet) another mathematical engine isn't the solution if you ask me.

I would rather people exploring these options within the game we already have. If you want to send a delegation to Garvey offering them a permanent alliacne after the war, or set up a trade agreement with the Mokolei, just try to play it out. I feel like people have been too constrained by the EGS in this regard. Just because there isn't a mathematical engine or specific rules for it doesn't mean it can't be done. Just stick to the spirit of BoBS and I am sure everyone will play along, including leadership.

If we are worth our salt in leadership, we will pick it up as soon as possible, and if not, you are always welcome to take it up with a leader you trust, or in this thread. I believe we have been a bit lacklustre in this in the past, but we have many new people, and have hammered out a lot of the mechanics by now.

(Same goes for anything we might have forgotten as of now, of course)

Edited by Bregir
Removed sensitive subjects.

40 minutes ago, Bregir said:

But we can achieve the same with active game masters who stay well on top of what happens in BoBS. For instance, we are well-aware that you personally have done quite a bit to cultivate the relation to Garvey, but we are also aware that Eslandola as a nation has done very little. (Garvey got nothing from the war, for instance)

Not completely true ;)

They now have the monopoly over the Tuna Fishing industry (as a result of Eslandola winning one of the parts of Chal V). So they now control the Tuna business, a very profitable business as it was this that funded Mardier for decades.

Also, Garvey has a property in Trador (a gift from me) and was able to participate in the NTSC (also a gift from me, I could have sent another MAESTRO Squad in).

It may be true this didn't translate in a piece of the island for Garvey, but giving a part of the island to Garvey wasn't a part of the deal in the first place. Garvey was just like Eslandola already at war with Mardier, and we combined forces.

There is also a nice sum paid to Garvey for their help in certain battles.

Stating that Eslandola didn't reward Garvey for their effort and the whole alliance was one-sided is a nothing more than a lie and can be seen as spreading anti-Eslandola propaganda.

Oh, and before you start claiming that Eslandola was not at war with Mardier before KPA happened:

This was an official declaration of war (this was when Eslandola helped Prio in their fight, long before KPA).

Edited by Maxim I

1 hour ago, Maxim I said:

They now have the monopoly over the Tuna Fishing industry (as a result of Eslandola winning one of the parts of Chal V). So they now control the Tuna business, a very profitable business as it was this that funded Mardier for decades.

They do? :pir-oh: I have never seen this explained or played out. The challenge results does not mention it.

Also, Garvey has a property in Trador (a gift from me) and was able to participate in the NTSC (also a gift from me, I could have sent another MAESTRO Squad in).

As I said, you have done quite a bit. Included in this is your relations with the Royal family of Garvey, and the palace you have built.

It may be true that this didn't translate in a piece of the island for Garvey, but giving a part of the island to Garvey wasn't a part of the deal in the first place. Garvey was just like Eslandola already at war with Mardier, and we combined forces.

Everything is a "deal" with Eslandola, isn't it? :pir-tongue: Well, just don't expect Corrington to accept that kind of deal! :pir-wink:

There is also a nice sum paid to Garvey for their help in certain battles.

Oh, there is? How is anyone to know? Or is this published the same place the Tuna Monopoly was?... :pir-wink:

Oh, and before you start claiming that Eslandola was not at war with Mardier before KPA happened:

Why would I claim such a preposterous thing?

Not completely true

In conclusion, it still seems to me perfectly true: You have done quite a bit, ESL has done very little. Further evidence may change this perception - I am not Donald Trump, after all... :pir-wink:

Stating that Eslandola didn't reward Garvey for their effort and the whole alliance was one-sided is a true lie.

This looks remarkably like an accusation. :pir-angry: And an unsubstantiated one. You will explain yourself or offer me satisfaction.

This has been a most distracting interlude of ifs, might-have-beans, assumptions, and secret money, but on to other matters. I have some things that I would like to have added the History and Religion sections of the BOBS lore, chiefly about the Crahaish neh Triuri. Once I have done a full write-up, to whom should I send it?

Can we have a separate topic for these arguments? (PMs, being private, may be too exclusive when lots of people wish to chime in.) It looks like certain issues are going to keep coming up, and it's hard to ignore it (per prior advice) when it takes up multiple pages of the main intro thread. Some of us don't care to witness these interactions, and a separate topic titled "Disputes" or something would be very easy to ignore.

At the very least it would be more organized that way, and wouldn't clutter up the main intro so much.

So far I've found the duels to be rather... boring. 

Just now, gedren_y said:

This has been a most distracting interlude of ifs, might-have-beans, assumptions, and secret money, but on to other matters. I have some things that I would like to have added the History and Religion sections of the BOBS lore, chiefly about the Crahaish neh Triuri. Once I have done a full write-up, to whom should I send it?

Anyone in leadership, really. It will then be reviewed in court and put in when it's ready.

15 minutes ago, Captain Dee said:

So far I've found the duels to be rather... boring. 

I think this far there has only been one, as it is a kind of forgotten thing in this game. 

14 minutes ago, Legostone said:

I think this far there has only been one

I assume you mean the duel between Hugo d'Offren and Elysabeth of Drondil. There was another duel in addition to that one, between Philip Janszen and John Hawksbrugh, but it was really just a collaborative story rather than a true duel using the game mechanics. You can see the outcome here, as well as links to the lead-up story.

Interesting, though, that both duels were COR v ESL, as would be this new one if it comes to pass.

Well these last two hours of posts certainly sucked any returning enthusiasm right out of me.

Just now, Kwatchi said:

Well these last two hours of posts certainly sucked any returning enthusiasm right out of me.

I am very sory for this.

but on the bright side, it is better to have them now then after a decission already being made.

And to be clear, all of this is not personal. I am really looking forward meeting Bregir this weekend IRL at Skaerbaek Fan Weekend :)

37 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

I assume you mean the duel between Hugo d'Offren and Elysabeth of Drondil. There was another duel in addition to that one, between Philip Janszen and John Hawksbrugh, but it was really just a collaborative story rather than a true duel using the game mechanics. You can see the outcome here, as well as links to the lead-up story.

Interesting, though, that both duels were COR v ESL, as would be this new one if it comes to pass.

Isn't Hugo d'Offren an Oleander character, or am I mistaken? (OL vs ESL)

And yes, I was referring to those two "duels" if you call them that. I do remember them having good stories and builds, but the outcomes were what I found to be rather boring. I understand the average player doesn't want his/her character(s) being killed off, so the two duels ended in a broken leg from an accidental fall and drawing of first blood, respectively. If they all end like that, they'll remain somewhat boring.

And I'm guessing KMA and its related events will (unfortunately) be sore points indefinitely for some players...

Just now, Captain Dee said:

Isn't Hugo d'Offren an Oleander character, or am I mistaken? (OL vs ESL)

I think you're right. My bad. Corrington was called in to officiate. I should work on my reading comprehension when skimming old threads! :pir-grin:

22 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

I think you're right. My bad. Corrington was called in to officiate. I should work on my reading comprehension when skimming old threads! :pir-grin:

Well... it doesn't really matter. No one can keep up with every little detail. And as long as the participants are happy with the outcomes, the duels are fine.