36 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

The two sides show two drafts of styling. The top has the sills facing down and with different panels on the front and rear quarterpanels. The bottom has the sills facing up, with a another option for above the rear wheel. Thoughts?

The sills in the first image look more sporty to me. I also prefer the panels above the rear wheel in that image.

7 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

The sills in the first image look more sporty to me. I also prefer the panels above the rear wheel in that image.

+1.

Have you considered to place the 5x7 panels in front of the rear wheels the other way around so that they conform to the angle of the door? This will leave a gap above the flex axle, but you get more room for the 3x11 panel there then.

6 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Have you considered to place the 5x7 panels in front of the rear wheels the other way around so that they conform to the angle of the door? This will leave a gap above the flex axle, but you get more room for the 3x11 panel there then.

I'm not sure what you mean. Would the 5x7 be mounted "pretty side" in? Or since they are mounted with a small tilt inside at the top do you meet to mount them more vertical? I'm willing to try your suggestion.

I'm not sure I will keep the 3x11 panel. I don't like how it looks at the back of the car. It ends a little too abruptly. 

1 hour ago, Thirdwigg said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Would the 5x7 be mounted "pretty side" in? Or since they are mounted with a small tilt inside at the top do you meet to mount them more vertical? I'm willing to try your suggestion.

I'm not sure I will keep the 3x11 panel. I don't like how it looks at the back of the car. It ends a little too abruptly. 

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I mean switch the one from the left to the right and vice versa and then mount them upside down from how you have them now. You currently have the pointy bit at the top pointing backwards, you then get the pointy bit at the bottom pointing forwards

1 hour ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I mean switch the one from the left to the right and vice versa and then mount them upside down from how you have them now. You currently have the pointy bit at the top pointing backwards, you then get the pointy bit at the bottom pointing forwards

I think I understand. That will make mounting the panel tricky. Let me see what I can do.

Gosh, looking at the dates of this project, I can tell I'm not a speedy builder. I any case, I have brought this back off the shelf to work on some things. I like building cars, but doing the body work is always hard for me. I get stalled and at times, frustrated. So I lose motivation, and 6 months go by without any progress.

The rear body of the car didn't work for my eyes, so I took it off, and tried some new parts. It's rough, but I think I like the lines a little better.

The roof curves a little better now to my eyes. I'm not sure about the flex axle along the roof yet. I lacking a good idea for the B pillar. And C pillar. And if I'm being honest, the A pillar too. Ugh.

41776438731_e504fd76d7_b.jpg

Still at lot of work to do, but I'm pleased to pick the project back up again.

Edited by Thirdwigg

I am now 13 months into this project, and the end is near.

42174571440_446799242b_c.jpg

Two weeks ago, I finished the bodywork in a way that is acceptable to my eyes. So I decided to rebuild the chassis in a way that supports the final design rather than one that supports the creative process. The final chassis (near) is much stronger, and has added some improvements to support the final bodywork (far). It's not perfectly form locked, but it's toddler proof resistant (goal 8). All other goals have been accomplished.

The final model should be presented soon (though I said that a year ago), and I might make both a black and red version.

Well done! I like the new chassis and body, though you appear to be missing some doors... Not to mention the hood and trunk. That's why it's only "toddler resistant," right? :wink:  :laugh:

can't wait to see the end. Bodywork is :thumbup:

and 13 months is not the record))))

Friends, I am ready to publish this car, but would like to make instructions for it as well. I usually do photo instructions, but I am interested in creating something a little more polished to make public for everyone, Anyone interested it making an LDD file based on the photo instructions I have? Send me a PM if you are interested in helping.

The car is finally finished!

You can find full instructions here, and much more can be found at thirdwigg.com. Lot of thanks to @Isamudyson for help with the instructions and the LDD files. The work was top notch, and the work was much better than anything I could have done on my own. The instructions were done for the car in red, but you can build it in black and orange as well. I'll build those soon.

Again, I ended with the following:

• Four Wheel Independent Suspension
  • 2 Speed Transmission
  • HOG and Steering Wheel
  • Flat 6 Engine
  • Opening Doors, Hood, and Trunk
  • Mostly Toddler Proof (My son has a propensity to removing the trunk)

Lots of pictures can be found on my flickr site, but here are a couple I liked.

45118339042_555e039bc7_b.jpg

The Chassis

44268058555_4b8c3a127e_c.jpg

Everything Open

43353166580_12f4076eb1_c.jpg

The Chassis with seats installed.

44445176164_211c1f5453_c.jpg

I loved this project. I'm already building more cars at this scale now.

Looks great! Perhaps I'll build it. It would be a nice change from the expensive 1:8 cars I've been building. Could you send me the LDD file? I'd like to try some colour combinations myself. 

Glad you like it. I sent the LDD file, let me know what color combinations you came up with. I want to see something in a M3 Blue. We need more flex hose colors!

Sweet build! I realy like the body work on it. Not many boxy designs out there nowdays and I prefer boxy "80's" design on cars. Reminds me of the MB 190E. Very much like that you made it a 4-door instead of coupe. The flat six is a perfect fit as well. Masterfully done! :)

3 hours ago, zoo said:

Sweet build! I realy like the body work on it. Not many boxy designs out there nowdays and I prefer boxy "80's" design on cars. Reminds me of the MB 190E. Very much like that you made it a 4-door instead of coupe. The flat six is a perfect fit as well. Masterfully done! :)

I know, I started seeing the MB 190E early in the design, and I tried to curve it up a little to move it another direction. Glad you like the boxy shape. I'm not great at curves.

@tomek9210 I love the new clutch part.

20 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I know, I started seeing the MB 190E early in the design, and I tried to curve it up a little to move it another direction. Glad you like the boxy shape. I'm not great at curves.

Hehe, sorry if boxy wasn't what you were going for. I'll try to lighten your mood by letting you know I also see a bit of Lexus IS200, which is a bit more curvy. Still I think you should be very proud of this creation!

@zoo No worries. I'm pleased with how it turned out. Boxy works for the design, and I am happy with the resulting design, and the functions I was able to incorporate.