Rick

2018 Friends Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Now, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high (no guarantees this will lead to anything)… but the latest LEGO Friends music video opens with a conspicuous shot of Heartlake City's monorail… :tongue:

This looks like it could be built with the new rollercoaster rails and the short carriages. I also think a monorail or some sort of elevated transport system fits better in the Friends world than it would be in City.

Just now, Stefaneris said:

This looks like it could be built with the new rollercoaster rails and the short carriages. I also think a monorail or some sort of elevated transport system fits better in the Friends world than it would be in City.

I kind of could see this happening. :thumbup: :smug:

Besides, the new rollercoaster system has inclines much like the old monorail system.

If only it would come motorised, but I don't know if it's possible to master such inclines without the help of a chain or a system like the old monorail.

Thank you very much fot the set list, Brick Lover! :classic:

41348 til 41351 could be those racing sets.

I hope 41344 Andrea's Accessories Store will be minimum 16x16 so I'd have another building for my city.

It'd be nice if 41353 TBA (September set) would be another big building (such as theatre, restaurant or disco).

But the most excited I'm at the moment about 41347 Heartlake Summer Resort. It could either be a beach with beach bar, changing booth, coast guard watchtower and a beach hut. Or it could be a hotel located at the beach (with pool and beach bar). I hope that the second possibilty will be the set.

7 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Now, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high (no guarantees this will lead to anything)… but the latest LEGO Friends music video opens with a conspicuous shot of Heartlake City's monorail…

Thanks for posting the video, Aanchir! :classic:

I highly doubt that there'll be an elevated Friends train with the new rollercoaster pieces. Firstly the rollercoaster tracks only allow a four studs wide train to drive on it (at least we don't know anything else). Secondly a four studs wide train nowadays wouldn't match with all the huge, mainly six studs wide, vehicles we see in Friends and City. And thirdly: If you'd post a six stud wide train on the rollercoaster tracks, I bet that this would look really strange and unfitting.

According to The Brick Show 41347 Heartlake Summer Resort looks similar to the HLC Mall (from 2014) and will contain an elevated train with the new rollercoaster pieces which connect the different parts of the ressort.

Very likely the elevated train looks like the one @Aanchir posted.

Maybe a proper resort, with sports courts, kids clubs, restaurants, pools beaches, smoothie shack (don't know why this came to mind but hey) mini golf, arcade...

Hmm! If the rumors about the elevated train set are true, it is possible that it would still be styled to look like a monorail (which is to say, wrapping around the width of the track). And in that case, it could very easily still be a six-wide vehicle despite sitting atop 4-wide rails.

Todd Kaufman, director and character designer of Total Drama (one of my favorite cartoons) shared on his Facebook that he was the one to redesign the Friends girls. Just putting this here in case anyone would like to know.

I know it said no wishlists, but i really want some 'Heartlake City Problems' sets, you know what i mean? I mean, maybe the thieves from the Girls on Mission video, maybe the buldozer from the same video and like that. Because i really need them to not only have the gadgets to solve thse problems, but to actually HAVE the problems :laugh::laugh:

When I first saw the new faces on the mini-dolls, I was dead set against them.  But after spending a whole lot of time with a variety of mini-figs and mini-dolls from many themes over the holidays, I've come to accept and embrace the changes.  All things in life change.

Cheers!

:classic: Beverly

1 hour ago, beverly888 said:

I've come to accept and embrace the changes.  All things in life change.

I know I was pretty white before Christmas and somehow changed ethnicity.  :laugh:

I like the faces too, but I understand why people don't like that one change.

Concept art of the Friends via Todd Kaufman. I like some of these designs and hair styles more than what we got. Hope the male torso becomes a real thing!

On 05/12/2017 at 1:22 PM, Aanchir said:

cache.LEGO.com (and consequently, Brickset) has alternate angle pics for all the new Friends sets! This pic seems to confirm what the Friendship House is… a converted firehouse! (check the little fire insignia on the left wall of the top floor) Between this and Olivia's Mission Vehicle I'm getting some real Ghostbusters vibe from this new wave. :laugh: As another nice detail, on the left wall of the second floor there's what looks to be a Maneki-neko (lucky cat) on a shelf. Also, note the "Lost cat" flyer on the tree that the swing hangs from, which ties in with the calico cat in the Olivia's Mission Vehicle set!

Now this is excellent news. My Winter Village has been crying out for a fire station that doesn't look incredibly industrial and metropolitan like all the City ones do. It's not perfect, but it'll do, especially once I've made some alterations and put in some snow. 

Wait . . you said this was a converted firehouse? Well then. I'll just have to unconvert it. 

After having seen all the prelims:

I don't know what to think about that kind of go-cart transporter as well as of the go-cart racing area (which looks very, very similar to the training center from this January). Supposably not my cup of coffee because too girlish. :sceptic:

Judging the HLC beach center from the small blurry picture is too hard. On the right there is for sure some kind of skids tower, in the middle is a huge entrance and behind all three parts is a "monorail" with somtething which looks like a big, driving shower cubicle. But what's the tower on the left for - some guest rooms?

The creative works shop reminds me a bit of the car selling shop with repair station from the City Square from 2015. I really like the garage gate on the left, the showroom downstairs and the glazed office upstairs. For sure this fits well in a city even without the racing area. :thumbup:

Is that a very small drive-in cinema on the left side in the snackbar? That snackbar is since long overdue. It's a pity that there's no second floor. But apart from that it does look amazing! :wub::wub:

But, judging by now, the best set of the whole wave is the accessory shop. The ancient architectual style is simply maginficent! :wub::wub::wub:

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Can somebody please give me some hints to find these pictures? I've been looking everywhere

Edited by cebelicamya
Got it, thanx

The two Go-Kart sets for this wave are interesting, especially the mechanic's shop for the karts, as that is something I thought we'd never see done in any form for this theme. Also, it's interesting to see the racecourse set utilize the rollercoaster curves for the finish line arch, something that they've also done for this year's largest Speed Champions set.

Then there is the resort set, which does have a "monorail" transportation system of sorts half circling the hotel. There appears to be only a single, enclosed car set upon a rollercoaster boogie that looks like it could only transport a single figure. Kind of odd if you ask me. :def_shrug:

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The two Go-Kart sets for this wave are interesting, especially the mechanic's shop for the karts, as that is something I thought we'd never see done in any form for this theme. Also, it's interesting to see the racecourse set utilize the rollercoaster curves for the finish line arch, something that they've also done for this year's largest Speed Champions set.

Then there is the resort set, which does have a "monorail" transportation system of sorts half circling the hotel. There appears to be only a single, enclosed car set upon a rollercoaster boogie that looks like it could only transport a single figure. Kind of odd if you ask me. :def_shrug:

Two? There's four. In addition to the mechanic's shop and the race track section, the 'snack shop' set comes with another car and some kind of pit stop area, and there's also what I think looks like some kind of pickup truck. Which also comes with another car. I saw the retailer catalogue's prelims. 

On 20.1.2018 at 10:40 PM, Feng-huang0296 said:

Two? There's four. In addition to the mechanic's shop and the race track section, the 'snack shop' set comes with another car and some kind of pit stop area, and there's also what I think looks like some kind of pickup truck. Which also comes with another car. I saw the retailer catalogue's prelims. 

It looks like there`s 7 go-karts in the four sets:

1 in the "snackbar"set/41349

1 in the pickup truck set/41348

2 in the mechanic shop set/41351

3 in the race track set/41352

OMG, I can`t wait! :)

Edited by Chilis
spelling

On 1/20/2018 at 10:49 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

The two Go-Kart sets for this wave are interesting, especially the mechanic's shop for the karts, as that is something I thought we'd never see done in any form for this theme.

Curious as to why you'd say "something I thought we'd never see done in any form for this theme" when we've had loads of cars, vans, a huge Bus, and Mia's Roadster (41091) with tool cart, washing and fuels station.  Not to mention 2 helicopters; plus the new Heartlake Rush game is all about racing.

3 minutes ago, LegoMyMamma said:

Curious as to why you'd say "something I thought we'd never see done in any form for this theme" when we've had loads of cars, vans, a huge Bus, and Mia's Roadster (41091) with tool cart, washing and fuels station.  Not to mention 2 helicopters; plus the new Heartlake Rush game is all about racing.

Well, specifically, I was talking about the mechanic's shop. I guess maybe I'm just biased, but I wouldn't have ever thought we'd see a mechanic's shop done within the Friends theme, as I would've presumed that's something Lego would have only done for themes such City. :shrug_oh_well:

9 hours ago, LegoMyMamma said:

Even so, I think this is something new. I couldn't quite tell, but it looked like the go-karts have some kind of parts swapping functionality. Kind of reminds me of the car building system Lego Universe employed way back when. 

Edited by Feng-huang0296
Yay, 200th post!

On 11/11/2017 at 11:49 AM, Soupperson1 said:

I thought they could’ve been continual looking for a solution to the articulated wrists since the mini doll release in 2012, obviously they weren’t or still haven’t found a solution. Don’t mega blocks figures have similar leg proportions and achieve leg articulation? 

Mega block figures are quite a bit bigger than minidolls.  I got one of the American girl figures to put in my world but she’s a giant and does not fit