Rick

2018 Friends Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I'm seeing a lot more Dark Azure in these sets than I am Medium Azure, and I'm certainly digging it! Particularly, Mia's Tree House looks like it comes with those newer "macaroni" tiles in that color, the larger radius ones that is.

By the way, does anyone think that Olivia's Mission Vehicle looks like the Ecto-1? :laugh:

I love how much these sets express the girls' diverse range of interests and personalities. The character designs feel nice and diverse, the colors feel really bright and cheery, and there are a lot of great new animals!

I know performance stages are nothing particularly new to Heartlake City, but I love that the new one features a puppet show! It looks like the puppets should be able to fit over the hands/arms of a mini-doll as well!

While I'm a little bit disappointed that we still haven't gotten full-size houses for Andrea and Mia's families, the Friendship House is a pretty neat idea — a mega-sized clubhouse that all five friends can use as their headquarters!

Nice to see the pictures! Once again, Friends has some of the most fun, creative, and innovative designs. I've admired Friends since it came out, but only really started getting sets this year (my daughter is old enough for regular Lego now, and she adores Friends); looks like next year is going to be another great one!

Thank you very much for the pictures, info and links! :classic:

I don't like the sports stadium and the treehouse. :thumbdown:

The friendship house includes too many unrealistic contents, so it doesn't go within a City layout. That's a pity since the main facade looks brilliant. :sceptic:

The camper van as well as the other big vehicle look nice, but are for my taste too huge. :classic:

The different rooms look great. But regrettably they are senseless since there is no empty house available where to insert them. :thumbup:

But the puppet stage, the art van and the art cafe look brilliant and will make a great addition to everyone's - and so even my - city! :wub:

Btw: I'm really curious about which sets we'll get for summer. Hopefully again a big house - a diso, a big store or at the best a playhouse!

On 11/21/2017 at 9:42 AM, Aanchir said:

I know performance stages are nothing particularly new to Heartlake City, but I love that the new one features a puppet show! It looks like the puppets should be able to fit over the hands/arms of a mini-doll as well!

While I'm a little bit disappointed that we still haven't gotten full-size houses for Andrea and Mia's families, the Friendship House is a pretty neat idea — a mega-sized clubhouse that all five friends can use as their headquarters!

It looks to me like there is also an fairground organ!  It was hard for me to tell, but it looks like the puppet theater swivels and reveals something behind it.

Perhaps in 2019 there will be either Andrea's or Mia's houses.  Olivia's I think was released in 2013, then Emma's in 2015, then Stephanie's in 2017, so one every other year.  I want all five girls to have houses too!

I agree with Klaus-Dieter that the friendship house has too many unrealistic components.  A building won't just have a slide coming off the side of it!  That's actually my biggest pet peeve when they just randomly add a slide to a building that has no purpose for being there.  But I'm sure it can be modified and taken out.  That's what I did with the slide in Elsa's castle.

What do y'all suppose the "friendship house" even is?  I mean, who owns the building?  Is it like a community center?

Also, do y'all think that Daniel could be Mia's brother?  He has red hair and freckles just like her.  He also has brownish eyes so he would basically be the boy version of G1 Mia.

I think the Friendship House is a good base for a nice city building mod.

The problem could be the price. But on January we will have the inventory and the building instructions and I think that, for somebody with a decent stock of bricks, could be easy and cheap to build something similar.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I like the new more tomboyish friends.

They're not pink, they're actually useful and could fit into a non friends town easily.

ALL boxes can be seen here- backs give us some hints what those sets are hiding :D
http://heartlaketimes.blogspot.com/2017/11/2018-january-lego-friends-sets.html
I love what they did to Andrea, hate what they did to Mia, she looks horrible now, and for some reason she is not even acurate with Minidoll.

Edited by Lordofdragonss

cache.LEGO.com (and consequently, Brickset) has alternate angle pics for all the new Friends sets! This pic seems to confirm what the Friendship House is… a converted firehouse! (check the little fire insignia on the left wall of the top floor) Between this and Olivia's Mission Vehicle I'm getting some real Ghostbusters vibe from this new wave. :laugh: As another nice detail, on the left wall of the second floor there's what looks to be a Maneki-neko (lucky cat) on a shelf. Also, note the "Lost cat" flyer on the tree that the swing hangs from, which ties in with the calico cat in the Olivia's Mission Vehicle set!

On 11/21/2017 at 9:07 AM, Fifulin said:

I might just pretend this new Olivia is the real Olivia's sister XD

Maybe her science experiment went wrong like in The Fly.  Any official background explanation to the new Olivia? 

I like how almost all the sets are under $50.  Only 2 aren't. (For me at least, where I live.)

Olivia isn't THAT different, people can get glasses at any age in their life and maybe she went on a tropical vacation and got super suntanned.

Edited by Elf Gal

Great to hear the reasoning behind the changes straight from the source. Personally, I don't feel like the changes are too severe. Olivia still has wavy brown hair and light brown eyes, Mia and Emma still have the same skin color, hair color, and hairstyle as ever, Andrea still has brown skin and hair in tight curls, and Stephanie has barely changed at all. All in all, the changes are hardly any more severe than when they cast a new actor to play a classic character like Batman or Spider-Man, and a heck of a lot less severe than when they cast a new James Bond or a new Doctor.

And honestly, I think the changes DO go a long way. One thing LEGO Friends has been criticized for is that all the characters basically had the same face… but now, their faces feel a lot more distinct. Their outfits and surroundings also now feel a lot more tied into their specific interests. Olivia's heart insignia is replaced with a flower-shaped gear (or gear-shaped flower), and her new default outfit feels much more science- and learning-oriented. Mia's new outfit feels very outdoorsy, and her interests have been expanded from animals specifically (because in a series where all the characters have lots of animal friends that doesn't distinguish her so much) to adventure and the outdoors more generally. Stephanie's sets, on the other hand, seem to bring her focus in a little more tightly from events in general to athletics. Emma and Andrea's outfits and sets continue to demonstrate their love of the visual and performing arts, respectively.

Side note, something I'm just now noticing — the carpet in every one of the "bedroom" sets is heart-shaped! I hope LEGO releases bedrooms for Emma and Andrea in the summer wave to complete the series!

They better give us more clothes for Andrea and Olivia (Especialy Olivia because she has new Skin color in friends). Personaly I think it would be nice to get "CLOTHES" packs for this series. They could even randomize it.

AT least I LOVE unique builds - that theater or art gallery are BRILLIANT! ;)

Edited by Lordofdragonss

You know, what if the theme's main characters had actually undergone these changes ahead of time for The Lego Movie sequel, as in that their appearances are going to be reflective of their yet-to-be announced voice actresses. It is speculated that minidoll characters will be playing a big roll in the sequel based upon what we've heard about it so far. 

Just a thought. :shrug_oh_well:

Brick Fanatics - LEGO Friends and Disney Summer 2018 Rumours

LEGO Friends is rumoured to have a subtheme based on racing go-karts, with small cars and larger sets with relevant scenery such as a finish line. A set is also rumoured that will include life-sized accessories, such as a microphone mobile phone.

It's heartening to hear all the positive comments on the Friends changes. 

The new pieces, updated colours, and evolving themes are well done.

But, I'm aghast at what they did to the faces - particularly changing the eye colour and face shape on some of the minidolls.  Having glasses is cool.  Updating clothing makes their characters more interesting.  

We'll see if my attitude changes as time passes, but I'm not hopeful.

Cheers!

:sceptic: Beverly

Thank you very much for the info, Digger of Bricks! :classic:

Racing in the Friends theme?! :wacko: Then there will be a Barbie doll shop in the City theme next, won't it?! :grin:

I hope that we'll get some great buildings like a disco, a theatre, a department store or a new hotel nevertheless!

41341 Andrea's Room

41342 Emma's Bedroom

41344 Andrea's Accessories Store

41346 Friendly Box (???)

41347 Heartlake Summer Resort

41348 Truck

41349 Snack

41351 Creative Objects Store

41352 Great Race

41353 TBA (September set)

Edited by Brick Lover

On 12/29/2017 at 5:15 AM, Brick Lover said:

41341 Andrea's Room

41342 Emma's Bedroom

41344 Andrea's Accessories Store

41346 Friendly Box (???)

41347 Heartlake Summer Resort

41348 Truck

41349 Snack

41351 Creative Objects Store

41352 Great Race

41353 TBA (September set)

I'm confused, how can "snack" be the name of a set?

I'm actually glad there isn't a racing sub-theme (as only 1 seems to be about racing).  I like a variety of different locations and events to choose from.

I wonder what kind of accessories will be in Andrea's store . . . hair-accessories?  Maybe felt capes/cloaks or skirts?  Or just a hodgepodge of random items?  And how would the Accessory Store be different from the Creative Objects Store?

3 minutes ago, Elf Gal said:

I'm confused, how can "snack" be the name of a set?

Apparently, these set names/numbers @Brick Lover has been posting are rough translations from French shop websites; so that's most likely not the actual name, but at the very least they're likely approximations of the real ones.

On 12/31/2017 at 3:00 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Apparently, these set names/numbers @Brick Lover has been posting are rough translations from French shop websites; so that's most likely not the actual name, but at the very least they're likely approximations of the real ones.

Ah, okay, that makes sense.

Edited by Elf Gal