AlmightyArjen

My biggest layout so far: 9 running trains

Hi all,

A new video of my biggest layout so far is online. It has a huge bridge in the middle and has 9 trains running at the same time. Enjoy :)

Edited by AlmightyArjen

That's big. A real joy and very impressive. I like the mix of the classic and modern LEGO trains. And it seems to work really great. And I love that bridge.

Is that bridge inspired by 76057 by any chance? A couple others have done that here, namely @mostlytechnic (here) and @Murdoch17. It's nice to see a double-track version though.

It's fun to see the trains crawling about like (very fast) caterpillars. I also love the trains with lights in them, even if they do turn off when they stop. Perhaps some capacitors could solve that, or at least give a slower dimming rather than a cut-off.

9 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Is that bridge inspired by 76057 by any chance? A couple others have done that here, namely @mostlytechnic (here) and @Murdoch17. It's nice to see a double-track version though.

It's fun to see the trains crawling about like (very fast) caterpillars. I also love the trains with lights in them, even if they do turn off when they stop. Perhaps some capacitors could solve that, or at least give a slower dimming rather than a cut-off.

Yes it is! I liked the design of it so I stole it, haha. Both trains that run up the bridge have both 2 motors, so in total 4 motor drawing maximum current: this was too much for a 9V regulator so I had to use a 12V regulator which can deliver more power. For the lights in the trains: I've put a huge capacitor pack in the locomotive that makes sure that the lights don't dim in case of short power surges (which occur a lot in the 9V system during short periods of bad connection between the track and the wheels). The lighting draws a lot of power and to make the lights stay on during a stop I'll need way more capacitors. I was thinking about a capacitor pack per wagon instead of one pack in the locomotive. Or maybe switch to a lithium battery that is charged when the train is running.

7 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Wow @AlmightyArjen, this is so cool! I love the bridge. I was hoping at one point in the video this would happen. 

Thumbs up!

Haha, not all of my videos end with a crash ;)

10 hours ago, AlmightyArjen said:

this was too much for a 9V regulator so I had to use a 12V regulator

Thats only right if You juse the original Transformator on the 9V Regulator. Both, 9V and 12V Regulators can only provide up to 700 mA, but the MOSFET that is build in the 9V Regulator can handle current up to 1,5A.

Just replace the original Transformator by a stronger one. Electrical connector is some sort of standard, polaritiy doesn´t matter due to the build-in rectifier diodes. You will find fitting power supplies for low money in electronic stores or computer shops.

BTW, I follow your Videos since some time, and always enjoy your ideas and builds. Keep on please!

Regards

BrickMusher

Nice. The blue/yellow ICM Koplopers are cool.  Was girlfriend out of town?  :classic:

Very nice layout, but man, how many hours did you spend to assemble it and how long could you play with it before dismantling? :D

My favourite is the commuter train running on a smaller loop. You should have more MOC trains going around and less official sets, the newest white passenger train is deeply below the average quality of the trains running on your layout! 7740, and trains from that 12V era are totally different (and better) than nowadays train sets, however there was less part diversity in those times.

Excellent display, and a real incentive to start looking for that "forever home" with enough space for a big layout like this.  

Hmm, I must be getting jaded. I would have loved to build a massive and crazy layout like this when I was a kid, but now I'm pretty happy watching one train on one loop :sadnew:

Still very cool, though, the lights are an amazing touch.

Is it just nine trains running on separate loops, or is there some coordination going on between trains on same loops?

On 16-7-2017 at 4:02 PM, dr_spock said:

Nice. The blue/yellow ICM Koplopers are cool.  Was girlfriend out of town?  :classic:

Yes she was a weekend gone with friends so I took my chance :)

On 16-7-2017 at 6:38 PM, Ashi Valkoinen said:

Very nice layout, but man, how many hours did you spend to assemble it and how long could you play with it before dismantling? :D

My favourite is the commuter train running on a smaller loop. You should have more MOC trains going around and less official sets, the newest white passenger train is deeply below the average quality of the trains running on your layout! 7740, and trains from that 12V era are totally different (and better) than nowadays train sets, however there was less part diversity in those times.

I keep all of my setst built so it was only a matter of placing them after we had laid down the track. It took 1,5 day for two persons to set it all up. I shot the video for a couple of hours and then put everything back to the attic.

On 17-7-2017 at 3:28 AM, Commander Wolf said:

Hmm, I must be getting jaded. I would have loved to build a massive and crazy layout like this when I was a kid, but now I'm pretty happy watching one train on one loop :sadnew:

Still very cool, though, the lights are an amazing touch.

Is it just nine trains running on separate loops, or is there some coordination going on between trains on same loops?

There were 7 loops and two tracks on which a train automatically stopped at a station at both ends. Some of the 7 loops were crossing each other. These crossings were automated too so in theory I didn't have to do anything. Ofcourse so now and then a train derailed for whatever reason.