Thank you Sariel for an excellent & detailed review.

Based on the prerelease images & hype I was much excited for the release of 42070.  

The reissue of 32016 #3 connector in red :thumbup:

Rumours of a high retail price chimed warning bells, OK must be worth it for sure, TLG wouldn't price gouge it's customers would they?

This review has bought considerable disappointment as most folks above have already pointed out.  Perhaps TLG now depend on the AFOL community to invest time & resources correcting their shortcomings & design flaws to deliver the true essence of 42070. :thumbdown:

@nerdsforprez are you a price apologist for TLG?

Given the limited space I think the best way to mod this set, like Sariel said, is to get rid of the gearbox altogether and install each motor for each function ~~ If TLG had made this set like that I wouldn't hesitate to pay the current price 

Edited by nguyengiangoc

I expect my 42069 review around Tuesday/Wednesday. I'll make sure to test which wheels fit on it.

2 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

Given the limited space I think the best way to mod this set, like Sariel said, is to get rid of the gearbox altogether and install each motor for each function ~~ If TLG had made this set like that I wouldn't hesitate to pay the current price 

It would have been technically much less interesting though.

7 hours ago, OneMoreRobot said:

Thank you Sariel for an excellent & detailed review.

Based on the prerelease images & hype I was much excited for the release of 42070.  

The reissue of 32016 #3 connector in red :thumbup:

Rumours of a high retail price chimed warning bells, OK must be worth it for sure, TLG wouldn't price gouge it's customers would they?

This review has bought considerable disappointment as most folks above have already pointed out.  Perhaps TLG now depend on the AFOL community to invest time & resources correcting their shortcomings & design flaws to deliver the true essence of 42070. :thumbdown:

:hmpf_bad:  You must have not really read my comments very thoroughly.   I stated, on several occasions, that I will not be buying the set because of the price.  It is also too high in my opinion. 

But you cannot argue with the logic.  I suppose that is why you resort with name calling. Typically that is what people do when their position or feelings are contradicted with logic that they cannot speak around.....

Deleted b/c posted twice

8 hours ago, OneMoreRobot said:

Word for word from my original post  *huh*........"Now, I will reiterate; in no way do I think the following justifies the price.  I will say it again - The following does NOT justify the price IMO :wink: - whew.... okay, now that I said it like 50 times......"

Edited by nerdsforprez

@Sariel Thank you very much for review. Top as always. :thumbup:

to all: Price of the set is not determined by the amount of parts, amount of PF. Lego just sets the price as high as they think they will make desirable amount of sales, knowing that they are in such a strong market position they do not need to push their products, they are limited by their production capacity. They are lovebrand and they know it.

Look at Apollo, sold out within a week, if they had the price double, they would be sold out anyway. Look at Star Wars, they can put together anything, drop in few minifigs and charge anything and it will be popular.

With us Technic AFOLs it is not much different. Lego can produce sets with obvious faults and unfinished designs and we will be buying that and doing "wow". Like Porsche. 

I thought 42030 was too expensive (silly me - now).

I prefer design philosophy where there is 1 motor and complicated gearbox over many motors each doing 1 thing (that is why I left 42030) 42070 is somehow halfway, and so am I about it. If it will be available later for much less, I might start thinking about it. I am not bothered by outdoor performance, I never take Lego outdoors, BUT I really think it is sort of ugly duckling and some of the areas are done "shortcut" and "cheapo" way. And it bugs me. 

With some sets I am thinking about Lego: "wow, they really put it some effort and cleverness to make it so good and keep the price reasonable" . But with 42070, judging from the review and some pictures from Jim, I feel like it is other way round "it will cost this, it will be big, we have to design it accordingly...well..not really..it does not matter, they will swallow that"

disclaimer: I missed Apollo (too late), I did not get Porsche (will not - me no likey)  :laugh:

Excellent review Sariel, many thanks for the quality video

I think the truck looks quite good rolling through the mud/grass, despite the unfortunate colour choice.

I agree that it falls flat on design finish/functions though, the outriggers look cool, but seem pretty flimsy, the crane boom looks flimsy as hell for something that long.. surely TLG could have made it 4 studs thick and added more bracing? And no front suspension or rear springs on a $290 set... oof after a set like 42037 offering full independent suspension and a diff in a $55 set, that is hard to swallow. no return to center on the steering is another odd design choice

Kind of crazy that this set suddenly makes the porsche look like a good deal... when that set came out it was criticized widely for it lacking and poorly implemented features, yet compared to this truck, it suddenly looks a whole lot better.

13 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

Kind of crazy that this set suddenly makes the porsche look like a good deal

Could it be that TLG set 42070 price that high in order to push sales for Porsche *huh**huh**huh* *gasp*

Great review of the 42070. Nice to see the functions in action. Interesting to see what you got for your money but for me there are more negatives than I originally thought.

This is a crane truck, not a tow truck, and the crane is dissapointing in looks. It looks flimsy, though I accept having seen the review it can lift a certain amount.

That blue colour is not on my list of lego colours I want in my collection.

No servo for steering, no suspension, no lights and only one large LA.

I love the outriggers, they have done a great job on them but the whole truck looks empty and incomplete.

I'm sure lovers of big trucks will buy this and it might be a good starter set for those entering into technic as they can mod it.

its 42069 for me (or bust!)

H

Edited by Horace T

@J_C I've actually contacted Lego about the Saturn V myself, being in the same situation. They said they'll be doing production runs at least up until the end of the year, probably longer. You'll get your chance yet.

10 hours ago, Horace T said:

its 42069 for me (or bust!

Yup!

1 hour ago, mattthewise said:

@J_C I've actually contacted Lego about the Saturn V myself, being in the same situation. They said they'll be doing production runs at least up until the end of the year, probably longer. You'll get your chance yet.

My LEGO store has never gotten a shipment of Saturn Vs :cry_sad:

Great review! Thanks. The gearbox looks interesting, too bad this is an RC model. I prefer more gear functions, RC kind of eliminates that.

BTW: Where is the hamster "leader" going to build his wall?

Andy D

15 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

My LEGO store has never gotten a shipment of Saturn Vs :cry_sad:

That's too bad, and a little odd. I'm assuming you've checked all other possibilities? Walmarts, Targets, Toysrus's? The rep said that it wasn't an exclusive set and could appear in many stores.

Hopefully they'll be able to produce more and in larger amounts. I won't be able to get one until next year, so I'm really hoping that'll happen.