Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2018 - Set Discussion

I saw, the Black Manta, Brothers Eye and Talons sets at target.

I'm probably gonna wait a bit before getting any sets from this wave, the Star Wars ones are overpriced, I don't have any interest in Harry Potter, there are no Marvel sets, and the DC sets are kind of weird.

Just found the Aquaman set in Target. Only one, so I don't know how many were initially stocked yet. I'll post my opinions once I've built it.

On 7/27/2018 at 5:37 PM, Dr.Cogg said:

I saw, the Black Manta, Brothers Eye and Talons sets at target.

4 hours ago, BaneShake said:

Just found the Aquaman set in Target. Only one, so I don't know how many were initially stocked yet. I'll post my opinions once I've built it.

I also saw those sets at my local Target as well today, honestly I was a bit underwhelmed, will probably be getting them at some point anyway. They also had the app controlled Batmobile too, which actually surprised me. Happy to say also found the Speed Champions set there as well. 

Edited by Johnny1360

Rather than start a new topic I thought this might be the place to ask.  I'm trying to assemble a crew of Batman villains from the Classic TV Series.  Aside from the figures in the classic Batcave, Egghead, King Tut, and Mr. Freeze who else am I missing?  I'm looking for characters more or less faithful to their television appearances; i.e. Clock King minifigure exists but gets its inspiration from the comics.  Any help is much appreciated!  Thanks.  

49 minutes ago, Willworkfortoys said:

Rather than start a new topic I thought this might be the place to ask.  I'm trying to assemble a crew of Batman villains from the Classic TV Series.  Aside from the figures in the classic Batcave, Egghead, King Tut, and Mr. Freeze who else am I missing?  I'm looking for characters more or less faithful to their television appearances; i.e. Clock King minifigure exists but gets its inspiration from the comics.  Any help is much appreciated!  Thanks.  

Sounds to me like you've pretty much got every villain there is to get at this point :)

Edited by TheBrickBuilder14

3 hours ago, Willworkfortoys said:

I assume that you are looking to make purist versions? There are about 30 villains all told, most of them terrible pastiches best left where they are. The only ones that I would recommend adding to the existing seven are Bookworm, Mad Hatter, Louie the Lilac, and False Face. False Face could be tricky to do, mind. Louie and Bookworm made the jump to the comics as well.

4 hours ago, TheBrickBuilder14 said:

Sounds to me like you've pretty much got every villain there is to get at this point :)

Thanks.  I really wasn't sure with the bevy of Batman sets out there.

1 hour ago, RedHoodPug said:

I assume that you are looking to make purist versions? There are about 30 villains all told, most of them terrible pastiches best left where they are. The only ones that I would recommend adding to the existing seven are Bookworm, Mad Hatter, Louie the Lilac, and False Face. False Face could be tricky to do, mind. Louie and Bookworm made the jump to the comics as well.

I wasn't intending on non 'official' figures until I gathered the ones already out there but that wasn't clear (I did use the word assemble).  Although, of the ones you mentioned, I could probably make some pretty good ones with official parts.  I did look through a list of all the villains and while I didn't remember many of them there were a lot of generic females that I think would be relatively easy to create but as suggested by your list many of them weren't memorable enough to mention and therefor warrant a figure.    

On 7/31/2018 at 4:51 PM, Willworkfortoys said:

Thanks.  I really wasn't sure with the bevy of Batman sets out there.

I wasn't intending on non 'official' figures until I gathered the ones already out there but that wasn't clear (I did use the word assemble).  Although, of the ones you mentioned, I could probably make some pretty good ones with official parts.  I did look through a list of all the villains and while I didn't remember many of them there were a lot of generic females that I think would be relatively easy to create but as suggested by your list many of them weren't memorable enough to mention and therefor warrant a figure.    

On 7/31/2018 at 3:09 PM, RedHoodPug said:

I would encourage you to check out Purist Minifigures. It's real fun to make purist customs to fill in gaps.

Regarding the Batman villains, I agree with RedHoodPug in general. Joker, Catwoman, Riddler, and Penguin are by far the most memorable villains form the show. Mr. Freeze, King Tut, and Egghead are the next tier. And these all got official figures! I like Mad Hatter, mostly because of the depiction in later media. No version of him has had an official release. False-fase is the show's version of Clayface, who is another classic villain. The animated Batman 66 sequels added Two-Face as a character, so making a version of him matching his appearance there would be fun too. Most of these characters would be straightforward to make because they tended to wear suits (Mad Hatter has a grey suit, Bookworm a brown suit) with a matching hat.

2 hours ago, MakkaG15 said:

as the next full wave of sets is in 2019, does that mean here there'll no longer be new stuff to discuss?

Gentlemen, its been an privilege speculating with you *Violin plays*

4 hours ago, MakkaG15 said:

as the next full wave of sets is in 2019, does that mean here there'll no longer be new stuff to discuss?

Well, some of us aren’t in a position to buy all the sets the moment they are released, and I don’t consider them off topic when I do finally get them. That and no one saw Knightmare coming, so there is no guarantee that all is said and done. But hey, that’s just me.

1 hour ago, Mountain Drew said:

Gentlemen, its been an privilege speculating with you *Violin plays*

It’s been emotional.

Brother Eye and Talon Attack have shown up at my local shops here in Melbourne. No sign of Atlantis yet. 

Personally, I'm undecided whether I should get either of them. Anyone want to try persuading me they're worth my time/money/display space? XD

Talon Attack has good minifigures, but the build isn't that great.

10 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Brother Eye and Talon Attack have shown up at my local shops here in Melbourne. No sign of Atlantis yet. 

Personally, I'm undecided whether I should get either of them. Anyone want to try persuading me they're worth my time/money/display space? XD

batwoman will probably become kinda rare and desirable with the cw show coming within the next couple of years

Does anyone know when RAge of Atlantis (and more importantly - the Jessica Cruz minifig) is out in the UK?

Not sure, I saw it at walmart in the USA yesterday.

Edited by Dr.Cogg

1 hour ago, Zilcho said:

Does anyone know when RAge of Atlantis (and more importantly - the Jessica Cruz minifig) is out in the UK?

Not out anywhere I’ve looked yet it says released 31st July. This happened with one of the earlier ones and it appeared a couple of weeks later. Amazon doesn’t even have it for preorder :shrug_confused:

2 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

Not out anywhere I’ve looked yet it says released 31st July. This happened with one of the earlier ones and it appeared a couple of weeks later. Amazon doesn’t even have it for preorder :shrug_confused:

Amazon has it in stock i ordered it yesterday

5 hours ago, Mattallica said:

Amazon has it in stock i ordered it yesterday

Well that sucks, mine says currently unavailable 

Am I the only one here who's really tempted into getting the RC Batmobile? I mean the Arkham Knight-style Batman is an excellent minifig, but I saw a video of how the controls work and what the Batmobile can do and stuff, and its actually one of the better Lego RCs I've seen. I'll probably modify it to make it look like the Batmobile from the game, though.

Just now, Mountain Drew said:

Am I the only one here who's really tempted into getting the RC Batmobile? I mean the Arkham Knight-style Batman is an excellent minifig, but I saw a video of how the controls work and what the Batmobile can do and stuff, and its actually one of the better Lego RCs I've seen. I'll probably modify it to make it look like the Batmobile from the game, though.

When I looked at Argos last night they had sold over 100 in 48 hours. It’s on my wish list for certain.

Just now, RedHoodPug said:

When I looked at Argos last night they had sold over 100 in 48 hours. It’s on my wish list for certain.

I can see why, it's an excellent set. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets nominated for Toy Of The Year.

Now that I've put together Aquaman's set, I have to say, the minifigures are quite striking in hand. They catch the light just right, especially on Aquaman's armor scales and Mera, and Black Manta truly looks like the badass he is. And the set is solid too; the sub feels the part in-hand, and looks menacing. No stray colors creep through from interior bricks like the sets in this range often have to deal with. Well worth a pick-up.