rm8

[MOC] Toyota Sprinter Trueno AE86 "Initial D"

Hello,

May be only youngest readers don't know this car from middle of 80's. Some sources tell that Toyota Sprinter Trueno/Corolla Levin AE86 is the first drifting car, thanks to Keiichi Tsuchiya. And Initial D is world known japanese animation film about drifters (I have never watch it).

That's a small model with small 37 mm wheels from 42048 cart racer was built for indoor fun. Because Buggy motors are too fast for small indoor cars, i decided to build this one with L motor - optimal for small models torque/speed. I also added LED just for the video. Car is so simple, so I decided to be more creative in video presenation, than in model itself.

Scale is small, so it does not look realistic in terms of proportions and forms - too squared.

jZzu0nQeVvQ.jpg

lUCMaoEQXfI.jpg

As I said, it is driven by one L motor with gearing:  36-12 and then 14-14 with old style differential. Steering motor is Servo. Control thru Smart Brick. And Fuel by small LiPo block. Car can also work with IR receiver with the same performance.

Lls-HwZgcJ8.jpg

MvhQ-Fgw3Hs.jpg

Model is decorated by self made stickers. There is also modification of Sbrick. I joined black down and white top + added Trueno and Initial D stickers. just for fun with little a hope of small boost in performance. But that was useless.

lxpAK6xNz-U.jpg

9iR197p4d4Y.jpg

There is a place only for one seat. And LEGO Belville male doll take driver's position.

csiaGSx_NMc.jpgbtvxuc8Q9kI.jpg

To say the truth, model was built for my son, because he can't handle Buggy motor powered models. And I planned this model fast from the start.

I also have 2 beta versions of this car. One is with one RC buggy motor. You can see how it performs in my Buwizz Prototype 2 video year ago.
And one more body using large 43 mm wheels instead 37 to reach faster speed with....2x RC buggy motors. But this is just a sketch. Larger wheels need rework of body for larger arches and complex steering system to save front arches from hypersizing.

m9Gr9s5x8xw.jpg

More photos

https://vk.com/album177639081_246152710

p.s. Interesting fact. My first car in 2005 was Toyota Corolla Levin/Sprinter Trueno. Unfortuntely this was a modern AE111 version (2000) with front wheel drive. In fact 1.6L engined corolla chassis under the 2-door "sport" exterior. Most of all I loved it's doors without frames, like in "big" premium coupe cars:)

big_28917_0.jpeg

Edited by rm8

Awsome! Totally a favorite car on my list, and too bad it wasn't a replica as your first car...

Cool! Overall it's kind of cute. My favorite one is actually the orange one, because it has a smooth, clean look to it and isn't super flashy.

Awesome, my favorite car!(also Nissan) Very good work! Will build if instructions are available. 

2 hours ago, rm8 said:

And Fuel by small LiPo block

?

Luckily I often see this car in my hometown because I'm in Japan. Even though it was designed 30 years ago, it still looks very cool especially among modern rounded shaped hybrid cars.
You captured every details even in small scale with Technic parts! :wub: Thanks for sharing!

By the way, my current private car is peaceful FWD Mazda 2. I've never tried drifting cars. :blush:

IMO not too blocky, great work! Didn't think I'd ever see those tiny tires used in an RC moc like this, but you nailed it :grin:

This is awesome, you nailed the iconic AE86 it's instantly recognizable! And those rims :wub:

I love the wheels too. The video was really great though. The driving shots were especially smooth, great job!

Thank for every kind word:thumbup:

Drift safely!:wink: