VBBN

Star Wars Constraction 2018 Discussion & Rumors

45 minutes ago, Voxovan said:

Just throwing in my 2 cents, the sets shelfwarm pretty hard in my country too (the toy store I go to in one of the biggest shopping malls in the city I live in still has Jyn Ersos on the shelves, and lots of kids roll through that place (I visit it quite often), not to mention how terribly these sets were selling in my hometown, but, granted, it was a much smaller place), so I don't think it's a UK-specific occurance.

I was actually thorn whether or not I should reply to this post, seeing your other posts on the SW sub-forum, how you were so stubborn that nothing I'd write would really change your mind, and how you edited the post I was replying to in order for it to better support your latter reply (for the record, you actually did say you were certain that these two sets are not cancelled, just because I worded it differently and didn't quote you 1:1 doesn't make my reply less legitimate and I was not, in fact, "desperate to find stuff that will support my point here"; I also find it funny how you deleted that bit in the latter edit. :wink: The only thing I have to admit I was wrong about is the bit about less sets being released in each wave - I was pretty sure that Lego was still releasing these figures in the standard 2-wave formula, not this weird 3-wave one, and the only brickset list I managed to find didn't list all of the CCBS Star Wars sets so, my bad here).

But, I'm glad Sir von Lego actually cleared things up and proved that you were wrong all along, despite you acting so confident about stuff you had no possible way of being 100% sure about.

So, typically if a person is correct, they will feel pretty confident in what they're saying.

Typically, if a person is incorrect, then they're pretty dead-set on insulting the other guy.

Maybe you should try to be a little nicer, and see if you can make a friend or two.

Also:

47 minutes ago, Voxovan said:

(for the record, you actually did say you were certain that these two sets are not cancelled, just because I worded it differently and didn't quote you 1:1 doesn't make my reply less legitimate and I was not, in fact, "desperate to find stuff that will support my point here"; I also find it funny how you deleted that bit in the latter edit. :wink:

This is a lie. Don't lie.

Good luck, lmao.

8 minutes ago, Azani said:

So, typically if a person is correct, they will feel pretty confident in what they're saying.

Typically, if a person is incorrect, then they're pretty dead-set on insulting the other guy.

Maybe you should try to be a little nicer, and see if you can make a friend or two.

What does that even have to do with anything? I was pretty confident about what I was saying. And just because I'm not nice doesn't make my arguments any less legitimate.

9 minutes ago, Azani said:

This is a lie. Don't lie.

Good luck, lmao.

It is not, but whatever. This is not a place for such discussion.

1 hour ago, Voxovan said:

What does that even have to do with anything? I was pretty confident about what I was saying. And just because I'm not nice doesn't make my arguments any less legitimate.

Aw, you're completely missing the point, man. It's not a matter of whether or not you're being nice; it's a matter of whether or not you feel like you have to default to being rude because everything that you're saying can be disproven.

If you don't like that, you could always try to learn about the topic.

1 hour ago, Voxovan said:

It is not, but whatever.

No.

Edited by Azani

Well, we at least learned a valuable lesson today that most of us should had learned long ago. Products that don't sell get cancelled, and the signs are usually for all to see, yet they choose to live in denial.

4 minutes ago, GK733 said:

Well, we at least learned a valuable lesson today that most of us should had learned long ago. Products that don't sell get cancelled, and the signs are usually for all to see, yet they choose to live in denial.

Yeah, it would sure as heck suck to be one of those people. :/

1 hour ago, Azani said:

Yeah, it would sure as heck suck to be one of those people. :/

Azani, my sweetheart, would you mind spending your time in a more constructive way, especially since Sir Von Lego has basically (as kids these days say) rekt you? Thanks. :wink:

And in order to make my comeback from the dead more meaningful, I'll say that I'm not at all surprised by SW CCBS' death. Like, most of us are actually astonished the line survived for so long, but clearly it wasn't only LEGO that had an interest in not pulling the plug. Constraction died in July 2016 if you ask me, so I'm not bothered at all right now. I literally only bought one Star Wars set and it was on a 75% discount, while I bought each and every single G2 sets. I might be an extreme case, sure, but looking at every major forum on the internet you can't deny there was a clear trend where people bought and liked G2 sets while the Star Wars ones were, on most cases, the "I'll get the least generic one when prices drop" kind.
So long constracion, and thanks for all the cool recolors.

Edited by TwistLaw
I don't want VVBN to kick my megablocks

This place seems to have become unexpectedly toxic, which I can somewhat understand as this is a disappointing outcome and an upsetting situation for anybody who calls themselves a CCBS fan. That being said, turning on each other and snarking back and forth doesn't make this any better for anybody.

On the issue at hand, I'm incredibly disappointed but not really surprised either. The writing has been on the wall for a good while.

Edited by Mesonak

1 hour ago, TwistLaw said:

Azani, my sweetheart, would you mind spending your time in a more constructive way, especially since Sir Von Lego has basically (as kids these days say) rekt you? Thanks. :wink:

Yo. No need to say whatever you want to say. You obviously don't know the story, so I'd go back a bit and stick your head outside of this forum. Check out the rest of EB, and see what anyone who gives a %#! about actual LEGO thinks of me.

Edited by Azani

I'm going on the record here: I absolutely made a mistake. I messed up on this one, as soon as I tossed my hat in the ring and asserted that the summer "wave" was, in fact, not cancelled. Y'know, it was a tough call on my part, because the situation seemed pretty opaque just a few days back. Obviously, I now know that I was mistaken, for a number of reasons.

Let me make something clear: no one deserves all the garbage that's been making the rounds in this thread. I'll take responsibility for my part - I lost my cool and said some inappropriate things. I got really annoyed over how some folks were reacting, and I'm sorry. But man, I'll be honest - I really just don't understand how this whole situation could possibly be seen as some sort of foregone conclusion - really, the sort of thing that only a moron would argue against.

If anyone's still in the dark, I'll be crazy clear: it's the construction community. Holy crap, it sucks. It's not one person on their own, but the vibe that gets tossed around when a group of folks aren't really sure what they're after. I don't usually say this, but it's like a giant circlejerk. I used to believe that the folks who went on about how toxic and temperamental the community was were just misinformed. Now, in the casual AFOL community, I cam't fathom why I'd ever want to go back.

Now, a funny thing happened today. It shouldn't surprise anyone to see that every guy who's been calling me out has one thing in common. No posts outside of this useless constraction figure forum. No interest in LEGO - just in this fringe community, where nothing ever happens and nothing ever will.

Edited by Azani

All of this seems way off topic—so let’s get back on topic please. 

Lego discussion only—thanks! :thumbup:

Oh man, I haven't used a forum in years, so apologies if I dont know how quoting works

3 hours ago, Azani said:

If anyone's still in the dark, I'll be crazy clear: it's the construction community. Holy crap, it sucks.

admittedly, you're on a site where the constraction community has little to no presence, and will most likely not have a reason to show up here anymore in the coming future 

3 hours ago, Azani said:

Now, a funny thing happened today. It shouldn't surprise anyone to see that every guy who's been calling me out has one thing in common. No posts outside of this useless constraction figure forum. No interest in LEGO - just in this fringe community, where nothing ever happens and nothing ever will.

and some folks (including me) really have no interest in Lego outside of constraction, and when that goes, we go, so its understandable to be a bit grumpy when the only tether to the site/community is possibly being severed (though I dont condone folks acting crazy over it)

4 hours ago, Azani said:

I used to believe that the folks who went on about how toxic and temperamental the community was were just misinformed. Now, in the casual AFOL community, I cam't fathom why I'd ever want to go back.

bye then

3 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

Lego discussion only—thanks!

there's really not alot to discuss

I've always been more fond of bones than plastic masonry, but I guess not everything is for everyone. 

Lego really jacked up prices, it sure made me want these less, but I think where everyone can agree was their failure to understand the limits and the advantages of their own system. For years we said humanoid figures, especially with exposed heads would not just work that well, compared to droids but they just insisted on pushing those figures, likely partially due to requirements set by Disney.

If they had ended these sets after the release of the 9th episode, I could had been at least little hopeful for the future of constraction, but killing the line in mid-development... well, the future for it looks quite hopeless, as in non-existant. One could blame solely Lego or Disney for it, but as decline of Hasbro, bankruptcy of toy's r us show, action figures may be the thing of the past. There haven't been many system themes I had interest, nor investment in (there has still been a few) and there likely won't be. But just for the sake of creativity of the future, I hope I'll never see a day it's mostly Disney calling the shots for Lego.

I think I'm out of Eurobricks for the foreseeable future

Ps. I hope you find your way out Azani without any needed assistance, you don't seem to enjoy your stay here anyways

I'm not sure how noticeable it has been, but my focus on constraction has been wavering since the end of Bionicle G2, so I almost missed the news that the latest SW Constraction sets got axed.

It's sad to see Lego's last CCBS theme coming to an end, but considering that they didn't sell nearly as well as Bonkles (or Hero Factory back then), it's not really a surprise that Lego opts to end the theme.

I hope they'll come up with something else constraction-y in the future though. Building robots in Lego is my jam.

Before I start searching for a silver lining in this thunderstorm, I should probably say that I was a fan of classic Lego long before I was a fan of constraction (ironically, it was the fact that most constraction sets seemed to be continually massively discounted that attracted me to constraction in the first place).  I tend to look at Lego as a whole product; not just the sum of its disparate themes.

Is this the end of constraction as a theme?  Probably.  At least for a while.  I think we all need to prepare for that possibility.

Now for that silver lining....

There seems to be (to me, at least) two basic types of AFOLS:  collectors and MOCers.  I know that's a gross oversimplification; but please bear with me.  To collectors of Star Wars constraction figures, I would say this:  things are easier to collect if they have a finite beginning and a finite end.  If Lego stops producing Star Wars constraction figures, those of us that have been collecting from the beginning can finally obtain a complete set.  To MOCers that use constraction parts, I would say this:  constraction parts are not going away.  For years, Lego has used constraction parts in system-style sets (such as those sweet, sweet spring green shells in that elves set, The Goblin King's Evil Dragon).  I feel confident that they will continue to do so.  Even if Lego stops making constraction themes, therefore, I am sure that we will continue to see new recolors of shells (and other constraction parts) for years to come.

Edited by bobasdad

Perhaps Lego should give CCBS sets a break for a few years. Maybe come up with something later on that would re-energize the theme

2 hours ago, bobasdad said:

constraction parts are not going away.  For years, Lego has used constraction parts in system-style sets (such as those sweet, sweet spring green shells in that elves set, The Goblin King's Evil Dragon).

...not to be rude, but a hand full of parts per year isn't really that encouraging 

1 hour ago, Kingriedak said:

...not to be rude, but a hand full of parts per year isn't really that encouraging 

It could be worse.  When Bionicle Gen. 1 was discontinued, all but a few of those parts promptly disappeared and were never seen again.

Edited by bobasdad

Talking about those SW rumors - any chance they might still get to mainland Europe? Like, apparently you folks got no last wave Chima AF, something we had here...so, is there a chance?

2 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Breath it in, this will probably the last constraction we get fore a long time.

Do I really have to say what I think about it? Guess I'd better don't, I'd sound like a broken record more than I already do.

In other news, here's an interesting bit:

However, in 2017 there "was a bit too much of Star Wars, not just in Lego, but everywhere", she says. After three years of successive marketing the market was slightly saturated, she says.

Source

So, even LEGO itself, when questioned about its recent decline, admits that "there was a bit too much of Star Wars everywhere". My theory is: Star Wars CCBS really never took off, being the low man on the totem pole, in a context where constraction in general was weak and LEGO had the best interest in making its System themes the most profitable. So what? First they kill the easiest one to shoot, that is their own BIONICLE G2, an undermarketed reboot that could also prove that "constraction is not anymore a thing of this decade". But the other one, Star Wars CCBS, is not as easy to get rid of: it doesn't belong to them, but it's part of a bigger deal with their most important partner (Disney, to be clear). Without BIONICLE G2 in the picture, though, and with the System sets keeping the Star Wars theme profitable as a whole, the buildable figures are an acceptable compromise while waiting for constraction's definite demise.

What happens then? We got too much of Star Wars. Like, everywhere. So things can be sped up a bit: instead of having to wait until the new trilogy is completed, like it probably was decided back when they made the deal in 2013-4, Star Wars CCBS can be canned right here and right now, without anybody there to complain (unlike, ironically, when they axed G2). Constraction is gone for good, LEGO can save a bit of money in difficult times, everybody's happy anyway (more or less).

Also, remember: LEGO really never liked BIONICLE. At least, the powers that be inside the company never did. As David Robertson, author of Brick by Brick, said:

Bionicle was the toy that saved LEGO, even though it’s always been a controversial toy within the company. There are those in LEGO who still believe it’s not an appropriate toy to carry the LEGO brand.

Wow, that sounds a little bit too harsh to say about the toy that allowed you to be there earning your paycheck, uh? Keeping this in mind, the death of constraction looks like corporate business at its finest. You create a situation where you can say "look, people don't like this product anymore!", your customers start to actually think that, the people who like that specific product do the same and... voilĂ ! All you have to do is hiding the body.

So, there it is. The dirty, ugly truth about the toy bought by millions and despised by the very same people who sold it.

2 hours ago, bobasdad said:

It could be worse.  When Bionicle Gen. 1 was discontinued, all but a few of those parts promptly disappeared and were never seen again.

no, we got Hero Factory almost immediately afterward, and the first wave was filled with recoloured parts

infact, this year has had the least constraction sets put out since it started

On 3/6/2018 at 7:51 PM, Azani said:

Not surprising that many of the constraction fans here aren't active posters; there are already two forums on the internet dedicated specifically for constraction. Of course people are gonna stick to those.
And complaining that constraction fans generally aren't very interested in system is pretty hypocritical because the fast majority of system fans don't even consider constraction to be lego. Let people enjoy what they want. For example, most of the sets I buy are system but I stick to the bionicle community cause it's what I know and care about.
Yeah the bionicle community is pretty toxic. But I assure you that with the nature of rumors like this, the least common denominators came crawling out of the woodwork. You're joining a dramafest and then complaining that everyone you interact with is toxic..??? Which doesn't make sense. Go interact with constraction fans outside of drama threads and you'll have a much better time.

1 hour ago, TwistLaw said:

Also, remember: LEGO really never liked BIONICLE. At least, the powers that be inside the company never did. As David Robertson, author of Brick by Brick, said:

Bionicle was the toy that saved LEGO, even though it’s always been a controversial toy within the company. There are those in LEGO who still believe it’s not an appropriate toy to carry the LEGO brand.

Wow, that sounds a little bit too harsh to say about the toy that allowed you to be there earning your paycheck, uh? Keeping this in mind, the death of constraction looks like corporate business at its finest. You create a situation where you can say "look, people don't like this product anymore!", your customers start to actually think that, the people who like that specific product do the same and... voilĂ ! All you have to do is hiding the body.

Neat theory, but really there's no reason to assume that the people who have been making decisions about constraction are the same people who have wanted it gone all along. I've never seen anything to support the generalization that "the powers that be", broadly speaking, never liked it — after all, the former CEO Jorgen Vig Knudstorp had pretty high praise for it. "There are those in LEGO" could be referring to a handful of people, even people who had no involvement with the theme themselves. There's no reason to leap to assuming that it's a widespread consensus among the company's highest level decision makers.

The cry from constraction fans always seems to be more sets, more new parts, more recolors, bigger marketing budgets, etc. But it's not at all a foregone conclusion that bigger investments would yield a better return on those investments. You don't have to hate Bionicle to make decisions based on what you think is best for the company. And what's best for the company doesn't always align with what fans of one specific brand or category want to see. Don't forget, most AFOLs hated Bionicle when it first came out, so let's not pretend that the LEGO Group's own market insights are always going to line up with what we as AFOLs want to see, let alone that the latter is more prescient than the former.

Completly understandable it got canned: they shelf warmed the crap out of retailers almost everywhere. 

The causes are simples, but in the end if a retailer doesn't want your product because it's collecting dust ''Black series Finn'' style well though luck. 

Same thing hapenned to the ''Rebels'' star wars sub-theme, retailers wouldn't touch them with a 12 feet pole.