VBBN

Star Wars Constraction 2018 Discussion & Rumors

10 hours ago, Aethersprite said:

Do we know what figures we're getting in the Solo wave? Some sets leaked last week and we saw the Han Solo figure. We also know that we're getting Maul in the Spring wave. What's the last figure from Solo? Has that information been leaked yet?

Nothing official for Solo specific sets, but there's supposedly a Super Battle Droid and a Trooper with AT-RT(?) No photos of those actual sets, though we're pretty much certain about the Super Battle Droid.

5 hours ago, Mitch Henry said:

Nothing official for Solo specific sets, but there's supposedly a Super Battle Droid and a Trooper with AT-RT(?) No photos of those actual sets, though we're pretty much certain about the Super Battle Droid.

We are certain about both as pictures do exist. The trooper is a 501st trooper with a blue ATRT

16 hours ago, Mitch Henry said:

The 501st Clone with AT-RT and the SBD are Summer 2018 sets - I was asking about the Spring wave!

Anyway, my question just got answered by the latest round of leaks. We're getting a Range Trooper with the Solo sets! Its helmet looks reminiscent of the Rogue One tank drivers - nice to see some thematic consistency there. The build looks very generic - couple of new cloth pieces aside. What's interesting is that it uses four of the Bionicle piston add-ons on its lower legs and feet. I wonder what the original design looks like to warrant the use of the add-ons.

Hi-res pics of the Maul figure also leaked - looks like its upper arms have some custom Technic construction. It'll be interesting to see how its mechanism plays out.

On 01/11/2017 at 6:55 PM, Leewan said:

Maul's arms seem to be made of Technic pieces, rather than CCBS parts as usual. That must be because of his mechanism. Perhaps one arm moves along an horizontal axis (like Kylo Ren, or Rey), and the other moves along a vertical axis, like the Praetorian Guard, and the elbows have a frictionless articulation so the mechanism works properly.

Anyways, that's intriguing. Maul seems more interesting than expected, I like that.

I was right ! (For once :grin:)

It's nice to see some new moulds. I'm excited about the new collar piece, I'm sure it's going to be useful in MOCs. Han also uses a new shoulder armour, which will also appear in the Super Battle Droid.

6 hours ago, Leewan said:

I was right ! (For once :grin:)

It's nice to see some new moulds. I'm excited about the new collar piece, I'm sure it's going to be useful in MOCs. Han also uses a new shoulder armour, which will also appear in the Super Battle Droid.

Huh, I didn't realize that the SBD uses the same armour. That shoulder armour looked quite cloth-like to me.

Maul's mechanism will definitely be interesting - the Technic parts suggest that it'll be quite different from K-2SO or the Praetorian Guard!

Speaking of new molds, Maul and Han Solo both use a new collar piece as well, which looks like it integrates nicely with the conventional Star Wars torso armour piece.

I'd love to be happy about these leaks but... it's just another round of mostly identical humanoids in dull colours.

I'm glad piston add-ons made a comeback, somewhat BIONICLE feels still alive, and a couple of new molds don't hurt either. But it's not enough to convince me to buy any of these new sets, just like past SW Ultrabuilds: I'm either gonna bricklink the few interesting new pieces (whenever they bother to update their inventory...) or buy the less boring ones when they're at least on 50%+ discount.

I’m curious to see how Darth Maul’s function works, but his technic arms look a little weird to me. I hope they are poseable enough. I also think his gear sticks out way too much from the back, was that really necessary? Otherwise I really like him. The collar piece is very interesting, I’m assuming it fits over the gearbox cover / neck balljoint piece and makes the figure 1M taller. I’m hoping those grey upper leg bones aren’t bare. I think I can see a part of a black shell behind the cloth though. 

Contrary to many others, I usually like the human characters, but that Han face is incredibly creepy (I think it’s the smile). The rest of him is standard fare but pretty nice. I like the new shoulder add-ons. I wish the first Han buildable figure was based on ANH though.

The Range Trooper looks really good. His helmet looks very similar to the recent Rogue One troopers though and I’m wondering why the Imperials need another variant. The Bionicle piston add-on worked well for K-2SO and maybe for other droids, but I don’t like it here. I don’t know what the actual trooper looks like but I don’t think the boots will look like this. 

I saw pics of the Solo figures on youtube, I don't know if its still up, but 2 figures were shown.

Han Solo, in a brown jacket, has new shoulder pad mould, which is a bit more angular. he also has a piece around his neck, which seems like sitting on the body armor, like a collar. Other than that, nothing special. His face resembles the actor quite good.

The other fig is called Range Trooper. It's a new imperial unit, with a great looking helmet, also he has a few cloth pieces and has thick, heavy, white armor. I think this figure is great just like most of the troopers, that we've seen so far.

Also the trooper's legs are using this piece as additional armor on the feet and the lower legs.

Edited by Csacsa234

Yeah, a simple google search will lend you the results you want most likely.

TO be honest, Han is probably my least favorite figure so far. He's nothing revolutionary of course and fits very similar to my thoughts of Luke and Finn- But the likeness of the character's headsculpt here is pretty bad in my opinion, and its not helped by the fact that I do not like this version of Han, I'd much rather have gotten one based off of Harrison Ford, or even the new solo with the classic clothes.

I plan to get most figures as they go on sale, but that may be the first one I take a hard pass on.

The range trooper looks really good, unsurprisingly, although I have never thought pistons on the feet like that looked good.

I wonder if the collar piece Han and Maul have is a separate mold that attaches to back gearbox cover. Or its part of a new torso armor piece.

7 hours ago, crayondrifter said:

I just want them to make a battle droid :/

Hopefully next year. They already made the tan pieces in Grievous.

I'm not entirely sure those tan parts from Grievous would be a good fit. The challenge of a battle droid, compared to other types of characters, is that it's essentially a skeleton—I don't know if any sorts of existing shells or, for that matter, existing bones would necessarily suffice for all of the droid's limbs.

29 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I'm not entirely sure those tan parts from Grievous would be a good fit. The challenge of a battle droid, compared to other types of characters, is that it's essentially a skeleton—I don't know if any sorts of existing shells or, for that matter, existing bones would necessarily suffice for all of the droid's limbs.

What if all the bones were covered in the tan leg armor piece. Kinda like how Chewie has reddish brown upper leg armor pieces on all his limbs. That could look pretty skeletal. Torso could probably be custom like K2SO

For the legs, I'd rather see 8M shells for the upper legs, and leg armour for the lower legs, but not leg armours on all the limbs. As for the arms, I think they should be mainly made of Technic pieces.

Going back to a less speculative subject, I've built the new Vader with my own pieces. He looks a lot better than the previous one, and the build is quite pleasing, although I think the torso of the first one was a bit more interesting to build. My only real complaint would be about the upper arms, I think they're one module too short, so I put 7M bones instead. I'm still not willing to get him at full price, but I'll still happily buy the actual set when I can find him at a more reasonable price.

On 06/02/2018 at 7:39 AM, Agent Kallus said:

The range trooper kinda looks like this guy, that would also explain the cloth on the shoulders.

Or not because here's a picture of an actual range-trooper so the build-able figure should look something like that, which matches the leaks quite well. His/Her odd shoes also explains the use of bionicle coverings on the feet.

wnopnqf5ka0d4peswy41.png

Hiya! First post here, I'm excited to see the new sets coming out later this year. I really miss the days of BIONICLE when we would have product waves of at least 12 entire figures, as opposed the the maximum of 6 we had with the Buildable Figure's release, then 3, and now 2. That said, I am looking forward to some of the new sets. Boba's been on my wishlist since the start, and my 2015 Vader has mysteriously disappeared, so... I guess the new one will have to do. A B1 Battle Droid (or a Destroyer) would be cooler to me, but as long as that Super Battle Droid has wrist rockets, I'm set! And the 501st Clone and an AT-RT... I liked the OG Battlefront II enough already, but having seen the Umbara arc on The Clone Wars, it's my most anticipated set yet! I just hope the walker fixes the problem every LEGO Star Wars walker has had for a while, in that it has fully poseable legs. Nothing irks me more than LEGO mechs and walkers not having basic articulation despite the plethora of hinges and ball-joints that could get the job done. I would have loved to see Maul in his cool hood and cloak, as the current figure just looks boring to me. the function might be cool, perhaps an action feature that can move the arms in any direction? Like a hybrid between the Skull Basher and gearbox assemblies? I don't know.  Han isn't going to win me over - ever - a classic Han might interest me a little, but not the one based off a film coming out in the summer. The Range Trooper looks neat enough, but I am sick and tired of the same old generic "Stormtrooper" build with these guys. I have almost every one of the Stormtrooper figures released so far (7 in my collection *cough cough*), and as good as they look, they're not impressing me on a building experience level at all. So, yeah, I just hope the new sets deliver!  

Hey, the New York Toy Fair is going on, and we have an image of Darth Maul...

Maul%201.png

What do you think?

Here's a few more angles, thanks to BZP :

DWPRXIHX0AAVfmW.jpg

DWPQrNTWAAA_gic.jpg

DWPRKZ5W4AEhpm5.jpg

It looks like he "simply" has a double swing arm function, I'm a bit disappointed, although it's cool to see something new for his arms. I'll try to recreate them and adapt Maul's design to the Praetorian Guard.

BTW, do we know his exact release date ? I believe the Solo sets are supposed to be released on the 20th of April, but will it be his case too, or can we expect to see him for early April, or even March ?

19 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

I can't tell if that collar is a separate piece from the head or part of it. If it's separate how does it connect to the body?

Its indefinably a separate part from the head, it seems to connect at the back, if you look at the third picture in Leewan's post.

Just now, Agent Kallus said:

Its indefinably a separate part from the head, it seems to connect at the back, if you look at the third picture in Leewan's post.

The back of what though? It doesn't appeared to be connected to the gearbox cover. The neck axle maybe?

I think the collar piece has a socket on the bottom and an additional neck ball joint on top for the head, though it would all have to fit within a very tight space (1 module) so I don’t know how plausible that is. Maybe it just fits underneath the head like a minifig cape, but then it would probably rattle around.