Scarilian

Future of constraction

13 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I will say that a Monster-Hunter-like crafting system as described here would be extremely conducive to a constraction-based video game. Most constraction themes have gotten fairly little in the way of video game tie-ins. And most of those have not done much to really emphasize the Lego aspect of the characters. But a theme involving hunting mechanical enemies to use their parts to augment the player's own armor and weaponry? Now you're onto something. A mechanic like that might also make for a decent selling feature for a line of sets.

Of course, the violence is still potentially an issue. Even if you make the enemies robots, scavenging remains from fallen foes still feels like it goes a bit further than the typical fantasy violence of most Lego themes.

Don't know why,  but the idea of adding a video game into the mix makes me think of "Toys To Life" stuff, such as Skylanders or Lego Dimensions. Which would in turn mean all those gear parts would be sold in packs alongside stuff that allows the use in the corresponding video game. Not sure if I like this idea or not, to be frank.

I think the violence topic still somewhat depends on how the scavenging aspect is presented, as it could be also incorporated in a less gruesome way (like, simply defeating the enemy and then getting rewarded with the loot).

8 hours ago, Kalhiki said:

Yeah, wishful thinking on my part. But I just feel if Lego were serious about revitalizing Constraction, a Big Bang theme would be a great way to go about it.

I'm just thinking about the competition, really. While I have nothing to back this up, Ninjago returned at the end of 2014; a few months before Bionicle returned. And the next year, Nexo Knights was released. I just feel that had a part to play in Bio's end as it may have drawn people's attention away from the theme.

Bionicle's end almost certainly would have been planned before Nexo Knights launched, or at least, not long into its run. While Nexo Knights sold reasonably well, I don't think it surpassed expectations, and other themes like City, Star Wars, and Ninjago all sold better than it. So it didn't have any great degree of unanticipated demand. Furthermore, I don't think Nexo Knights has that much more overlap with Bionicle in terms of genre, aesthetic, or target audience than Ninjago does.

3 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

On that note, I once read that Exo Force sold rather poorly. Is this true?

My understanding is that it sold well in 2006 but failed to meet expectations in 2007 and 2008.

I'd like to see constraction return but after a minimum 3 year break. A lot of the Bionicle fandom response during g2 was negative despite the sets being well designed and catering toward them, and probably influenced outsiders to stay away. Star Wars constraction isn't as much lego selling constraction sets as it is lego selling characters to me personally, and most of those sets are lackluster. They need to give kids something to play with, most constraction sets will never reach it's full experience without you buying another one to battle with.

Edited by Cyclone_37

19 hours ago, Kalhiki said:

I'm just thinking about the competition, really. While I have nothing to back this up, Ninjago returned at the end of 2014; a few months before Bionicle returned. And the next year, Nexo Knights was released. I just feel that had a part to play in Bio's end as it may have drawn people's attention away from the theme.

I don't know about NK, but I definitely think one of the reasons why they cancelled Bionicle was to focus kids' attention on Ninjago. I also feel the community's negative reaction had something to do with it.

15 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

I do wonder how you could design parts that could function both as body parts of creatures and minifigure equipment. I mean, sure, stuff like weapons or shields could be easily incorporated into the creatures, but armors?

Some armours have studs, so they can easily be connected to the rest of the creature. Just to clarify, I said that while thinking of completely brick-built creatures, but they could also use a mix of CCBS and System parts, like some of @Nuju Metru's "sets" for Dragon Lands (this is a good example of what I mean).

12 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

I think the violence topic still somewhat depends on how the scavenging aspect is presented, as it could be also incorporated in a less gruesome way (like, simply defeating the enemy and then getting rewarded with the loot).

That would work in the game, but using parts of the monsters as weapons and pieces of armour would be a key aspect of the sets (at least with my concept), so I don't think you could remove that.

9 hours ago, Leewan said:

Some armours have studs, so they can easily be connected to the rest of the creature. Just to clarify, I said that while thinking of completely brick-built creatures, but they could also use a mix of CCBS and System parts, like some of @Nuju Metru's "sets" for Dragon Lands (this is a good example of what I mean).

That would work in the game, but using parts of the monsters as weapons and pieces of armour would be a key aspect of the sets (at least with my concept), so I don't think you could remove that.

Oh, I had also either fully brick-built or brick/CCBS hybrids in mind. I also didn't consider that the armor pieces could have studs, that's a good point.

Regarding the parts scavenging... I think it's not possible for the Minifigs to scavenge so much from the monsters that the monsters would look terribly incomplete without the parts in question, simply due to how compact the armor parts have to be in order to still allow some range of motion for the Minifigs.

I mean, going by Invasion from Below, we would probably get one figure with 1-2 figures to fight it. That would mean, the monster would at most provide two weapons, two shields and two sets of armor (either armor pieces and/or helmets). Weapons would be most likely the monster claws or teeth, shields could be scales or some other sort of armor on the monster's body. Same applies to the armor parts (though I'm still uncertain how these could be incorporated into the build without sticking out or being so deeply integrated that retrieving them would require excessive taking apart of the monster - which might be contraproductive to the play pattern). I'd theorize that monster in question wouldn't look completely slaughtered by then.

All in all, I think the concept could work.

Hey, regarding the future of constraction and the bit about mecha anime, this might be relevant to our interests.

I've recently been pondering the viability/plausibility of Lego obtaining a Pacific Rim license, and have just thought that perhaps the IP could be best suited as a Ultrabuild constraction line. Though I'd prefer a traditional System based line, I certainly would be happy with a constraction one come to think of it. :shrug_oh_well:

What do you guys think? Could that be a possibility if Lego indeed acquired the license; and if so, would you like to see such a theme?

Considering the age of the movie, I wouldn't expect LEGO to snatch the license for a full line, so outside of LEGO Ideas, I wouldn't expect it.

I somehow managed to not pay much attention to Pacific Rim yet, but generally speaking, I'd be all up for some more mecha action done with LEGO.

3 minutes ago, ZORK64 said:

Considering the age of the movie, I wouldn't expect LEGO to snatch the license for a full line, so outside of LEGO Ideas, I wouldn't expect it.

I somehow managed to not pay much attention to Pacific Rim yet, but generally speaking, I'd be all up for some more mecha action done with LEGO.

Well, I'm wondering primarily since its sequel Pacific Rim: Uprising is slated for March 2018; but it's probably too late in the game to learn if it is a possibility for next year, so I guess it's out of the question for now.

On the other hand, what about WB's developing Monsterverse, could that ever be considered by Lego? The sequel to 2014's Godzilla is slated for March 2019, while Godzilla vs. Kong will follow in May 2020. Come to think of it though, that I'd rather see done for System instead.

On 4.8.2017 at 5:36 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, I'm wondering primarily since its sequel Pacific Rim: Uprising is slated for March 2018; but it's probably too late in the game to learn if it is a possibility for next year, so I guess it's out of the question for now.

On the other hand, what about WB's developing Monsterverse, could that ever be considered by Lego? The sequel to 2014's Godzilla is slated for March 2019, while Godzilla vs. Kong will follow in May 2020. Come to think of it though, that I'd rather see done for System instead.

Ah, I wasn't aware of the sequel. That of course could've increased the odds of it.

I'd like to mention that back then, when the first Pacific Rim was around, TLG did their own "Mechs vs. Monsters" thing in Hero Factory with "Invasion from Below".

I also think that stuff like Godzilla would also incorporate minifigures to go along with. To my understanding, puny humans are somewhat integral to monster films in wone way or another.

16 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

Ah, I wasn't aware of the sequel. That of course could've increased the odds of it.

I'd like to mention that back then, when the first Pacific Rim was around, TLG did their own "Mechs vs. Monsters" thing in Hero Factory with "Invasion from Below".

Oh yeah, I forgot about that subtheme, though I should mention it came out a year after Pacific Rim's 2013 release. But the inspiration is definitely there, especially in the design of its "Kaiju".

th?id=OIP.mnBWCVQ0_LNCCpXDpWO8lwEsEs&pid=15.1th?id=OIP.jD9Nea71xZcSGnKp-oA-2wEsEs&pid=15.1th?id=OIP.dfykzW2tdqKynh2wpNi26gD6D6&pid=15.1th?id=OIP.bLZpaCo_dbuGELkJRSjn5wEsEp&pid=15.1

Edited by Digger of Bricks

20 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

I also think that stuff like Godzilla would also incorporate minifigures to go along with. To my understanding, puny humans are somewhat integral to monster films in wone way or another.

I'd like to see Godzilla & co in CCBS form, but not with minifigures, they'd be way too big in regard of the scale of the monsters.

I don't know if a minifig-less theme could work, but I'd like to see a series of small sized, brick-built mechas which use Mixel joints. Something like this (by nobu_tary) :

32243809396_492a919e90.jpg

Or the adorable tiny Jaegers @toothdominoes recently made :

35964362422_0332075947_z.jpg

They even fit microfigs / trophies.

Which makes me think that I'd like to see more sets with the NK Battle Suits cockpit, but something less goofy than the Battle Suits. However, I don't know if kids would be into "serious" mecha sets.

I don't know if a minifig-less theme could work, but I'd like to see a series of small sized, brick-built mechas which use Mixel joints. Something like this (by nobu_tary) :

I know "constraction" generally refers to either Ultrabuild or the old Bionicle Technic system, but I too would like to see Lego head more towards the original, brick based System for constraction themes in the future, perhaps even fusing/combining Technic into such constructions.

Or the adorable tiny Jaegers @toothdominoes recently made :

Hey, I've never seen those before, those are cute! I should also mention these great chibi styled ones by Flickr user Moko, unless you may have seen them also.

11625366826_3d620aebcd_z.jpg

Edited by Digger of Bricks

19 hours ago, Leewan said:

I'd like to see Godzilla & co in CCBS form, but not with minifigures, they'd be way too big in regard of the scale of the monsters.

[...]

@toothdominoes

Which makes me think that I'd like to see more sets with the NK Battle Suits cockpit, but something less goofy than the Battle Suits. However, I don't know if kids would be into "serious" mecha sets.

Ah, I didn't thought about the scale here. That's a good point.

Microfig pilots are a great idea! And robots using Mixel joints is something I want to see anyway, simply because it might give TLG reason to introduce more stuff that I could use for Transformers MOCs. :laugh:

As for the more "serious" mecha sets, I think these can appeal to kids as well, considering that the Michael Bay TF movies also appeal to kids.

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I know "constraction" generally refers to either Ultrabuild or the old Bionicle Technic system, but I too would like to see Lego head more towards the original, brick based System for constraction themes in the future, perhaps even fusing/combining Technic into such constructions.

Hey, I've never seen those before, those are cute! I should also mention these great chibi styled ones by Flickr user Moko, unless you may have seen them also.

(snip)

I check Moko's works ever so often (he's along with Cyclopic Bricks one of the few MOCists I kinda follow), but I'm not sure if I saw these, so thanks for the pic.

Edited by ZORK64

On 8/6/2017 at 1:10 PM, Leewan said:

However, I don't know if kids would be into "serious" mecha sets.

I think most kids dig any sort of Mecha/Walkers, even less colorful, nondescript ones like the Star Wars AT-AT and AT-ST.

13 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

I check Moko's works ever so often (he's along with Cyclopic Bricks one of the few MOCists I kinda follow), but I'm not sure if I saw these, so thanks for the pic.

Yeah, they're pretty well done even though they have "chibi" proportions; but in a way, I guess it could be argued they have been unintendedly reinterpreted into minifigure proportions. Just in the same way the Jaegers' proportions in the film are alike to that of a human's, these brick built ones sort of line up with Lego minifigures'.

So if you think of them that way, that makes them even cooler. Perhaps Lego could consider that when designing minifigure scale mecha for sets. :shrug_oh_well:

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I think most kids dig any sort of Mecha/Walkers, even less colorful, nondescript ones like the Star Wars AT-AT and AT-ST.

I remember that I was really into Mechwarrior/Battletech back then for a while. Yeah, robots are generally cool.

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Yeah, they're pretty well done even though they have "chibi" proportions; but in a way, I guess it could be argued they have been unintendedly reinterpreted into minifigure proportions. Just in the same way the Jaegers' proportions in the film are alike to that of a human's, these brick built ones sort of line up with Lego minifigures'.

So if you think of them that way, that makes them even cooler. Perhaps Lego could consider that when designing minifigure scale mecha for sets. :shrug_oh_well:

I'd guess the proportions are more a testament to Moko's general style rather than minifig proportions, as a lot of his works go into chibi direction.

That being said, I also hope  that TLG doesn't try to put chibi proportions on their mechs. They didn't do so in the past with other sets (such as Star Wars walkers or ships), and I'd prefer if they stick with that.

By the way, what are some of the most popular mecha anime franchises with kids in China around Lego's target age group of six to eleven year olds?

Given TLG CEO Bali Padda's comment made earlier this year regarding Asian IPs, can anyone name a few possible candidates that could potentially be introduced as a Constraction line?

On 07/08/2017 at 5:18 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I think I've seen them, but they don't count as small sized, brick-built mechas which use Mixel joints:wink:

17 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

By the way, what are some of the most popular mecha anime franchises with kids in China around Lego's target age group of six to eleven year olds?

Given TLG CEO Bali Padda's comment made earlier this year regarding Asian IPs, can anyone name a few possible candidates that could potentially be introduced as a Constraction line?

Why exactly China? Wouldn't it be more plausible that TLG would choose an IP that has world-wide recognition?

Edited by ZORK64

On 8/10/2017 at 4:07 PM, ZORK64 said:

Why exactly China? Wouldn't it be more plausible that TLG would choose an IP that has world-wide recognition?

Bali Padda said international markets are being focused on for future lines beyond Western IPs, since maybe those may not have as much fanfare in Asia.

From Brick Fanatics:

International markets are also a focus for the LEGO Group, with the CEO reflecting that the company are looking at potential Asian IPs to partner with, expanding beyond Western licenses such as Star Wars and Harry Potter. The experienced leader also noted that the designers within the company represent 41 nationalities, bringing a broad range of experience and talent.

The thing is though, I wonder if this focus has changed now that Padda has stepped down as CEO.

https://brickset.com/article/29843/lego-appoints-new-ceo

On 12.8.2017 at 3:31 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Bali Padda said international markets are being focused on for future lines beyond Western IPs, since maybe those may not have as much fanfare in Asia.

From Brick Fanatics:

The thing is though, I wonder if this focus has changed now that Padda has stepped down as CEO.

Yeah, but even with expanding to international markets, I'm still not certain why exactly the Mecha anime has to be popular in China, and not, for example, Japan?

I mean, the first two things that jump to my mind when I hear mecha anime are Gundam and Neon Genesis Evangelion, which were both from Japan. Though then again, both are probably not the best candidates for a cooperation with LEGO given their contents and themes (Gundam might be a maybe, but NGE... yeah no).

Are Mecha Anime generally more popular in China than they are in Japan? Or is there another reason for this?

On 8/13/2017 at 2:24 PM, ZORK64 said:

Yeah, but even with expanding to international markets, I'm still not certain why exactly the Mecha anime has to be popular in China, and not, for example, Japan?

I mean, the first two things that jump to my mind when I hear mecha anime are Gundam and Neon Genesis Evangelion, which were both from Japan. Though then again, both are probably not the best candidates for a cooperation with LEGO given their contents and themes (Gundam might be a maybe, but NGE... yeah no).

Are Mecha Anime generally more popular in China than they are in Japan? Or is there another reason for this?

Population-wise, China's a bigger market with more room for growth. I think it will be a big focus in the LEGO Group's push for business growth in Asia. Arguably, it already is, what with them putting both their first Asian LEGO flagship store and their newest factory there.

Mind you, they're not necessarily looking strictly for Chinese IPs, but they are probably looking hard at which IPs are popular in China, regardless of where those IPs originate.

On 8/12/2017 at 6:31 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

From Brick Fanatics:

It'll probably get put on hold for a bit while the new CEO gets settled.

However, that's not saying that we'll get whichever theme they do (even non-constraction themes and IPs). If they're not popular in the Western world, they may be exclusive to the Asian market. This is much more likely. I don't know if the Western world would see any Constraction sets come out of such an arrangement.

5 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Mind you, they're not necessarily looking strictly for Chinese IPs, but they are probably looking hard at which IPs are popular in China, regardless of where those IPs originate.

This, especially when you consider the growing trend of Hollywood movies that actually gross more over in China than in America domestically.

Here's a pretty good article from 2016 that chronicles this trend.

http://screenrant.com/hollywood-movies-made-more-money-in-china-than-us/

3 hours ago, Master_Data said:

It'll probably get put on hold for a bit while the new CEO gets settled.

However, that's not saying that we'll get whichever theme they do (even non-constraction themes and IPs). If they're not popular in the Western world, they may be exclusive to the Asian market. This is much more likely. I don't know if the Western world would see any Constraction sets come out of such an arrangement.

I never thought of that, but don't you think that at least such a line would be made available internationally through Shop At Home? :shrug_confused: