Sign in to follow this  
Kodan Black

[SoNE Freebuild] Early Wake Up Call

I woke with my mind screaming: something was wrong. My eyes opened as I simultaneously tried to remember where I was and strained my senses to confirm what my whole body seemed to be aware of. I remembered that I was at a small remote base helping to calibrate a new sensor array by flying a TIE around so they could use it as a target. Seconds passed and then there it was... a barely felt vibration and muffled thud. Something akin to far away thunder or a large, heavy crate that had been dropped. The dim glow coming from the floor level lights dimmed just a touch and the air coming from the vents stopped suddenly. Instinct kicked in and I was rolling out of bed, grabbing gear and my weapon as my mind came to grips with the reality that the base was under attack.

I doubted it would be rebels, we didn't have much of value for them. No, I suspected it was smugglers or someone else who was doing something that would be threatened by the new sensor array. Their illicit activities suddenly would be brought to light and the Empire would want to try and stop them. Most likely they would hit and fade once their objective was complete. Without knowing the situation I couldn't tell if it was too late to protect the array or not but I was happy that we wouldn't have to fight off a sustained attack aimed at taking the base. We likely didn't have the personnel for that and relief forces were far enough away that there was only a slim chance anyone would be alive to see a rescue.

As I got to the door going outside I tightened my grip on the blaster and opened the door to the first rays of light mingling with light coming from various base lights and the flickering flames from various scenes of destruction. There was an occasional blaster shot, fortunately going in both directions so there were Empire soldiers out there, but it wasn't heavy fire. That meant the attacking force was pretty small and seemed to lack heavy weapons. All good signs.

I realized that it was too quiet suddenly and remembered that my gear was set up for the TIE. I was listening in on the sensor array comm frequency which was why I didn't hear anything. As I switched to the base frequency my headset filled with noise. Calls for position of the enemy, requests for medics, etc. flooded in and I tried to figure out where I should go without adding to the noise by asking. It seemed like the bulk of the force was attacking from the north with a smaller secondary attack from the southeast meant to split our forces. Given the array was on the northern part of the base it made sense and I worked my way there being careful not to get shot by our own troops.

As I got close I could see the situation laid out before me as the enemy forces took pot shots at us trying to let some of their pinned down comrades escape. The array was severely damaged at best though, so they had little inclination to keep the fight going beyond a small amount of loyalty to friends. And as more and more Empire guns came to bear as more of us woke up and made our way to the battle it seemed that their loyalty was rapidly diminishing. Self preservation was winning out.

Within minutes it was over. We had captured 3 of their forces and killed 5, while losing 2 of ours. We had several hurt as well, but all would be back to their duties in days. The array was lost and given the special nature of it would not be able to get replaced for months. They had succeeded. Even if we eventually got the array operational and well protected they would get to keep operating for a while longer and have time to adapt. It was frustrating for me and I'm sure much more so for those who would continue to be stationed here. At least I was able to get into a TIE and head off to my next assignment.

I couldn't help shake the feeling that the bad guys won. I know that we don't live in a holovid but the pirates or smugglers won and the Empire lost when we were simply trying to make this a safer place.

35075673784_2cdf81a244_c.jpg

35106510373_fa4a68a2d8_c.jpg

35527464620_5b8aa6737d_c.jpg

35875099586_491e6e962a_c.jpg

Security Camera Shots:
35915469535_0fb4ea580c_c.jpg

35875099576_85c82e77fb_c.jpg

Please Judge and Critique. I'm trying to get used to my new lightbox, so I know that background is kinda not great. I am also playing with some new lenses, hence the "security cam" shots. Thanks for looking!

I still put poster board on the back side of my lightbox to avoid the wrinkly fabrics and seems. I just cut it to fit the width and let it curve along the backside.

I really like the orange rounds on the wall and the broken sections of wall. Good looking greebles, as well.