Sign in to follow this  
kjm161

Charles Darwin

I created this Legoland scale figure of Charles Darwin for this year's Brickfete in Toronto. Darwin is writing his "The Origin of the Species" or in Lego pun "Oranges and Peaches". A Galapagos tortoise and finch sit by his side. He encountered both of these animals during is voyage as the naturalist aboard the HMS Beagle, which is pictured in one of the panels in the base. The base also contains a conch with barnacles. Darwin was somewhat obsessed with barnacles and spent 8 years studying them between 1846 to 1854.

35510522920_bc2a5deee8_c.jpgCharles Darwin by Karen Metz, on Flickr

35510503990_a335724be5_c.jpgCharles Darwin by Karen Metz, on Flickr

35510491070_de57648d6c_c.jpgCharles Darwin by Karen Metz, on Flickr

35058739164_4f4ddd3392_c.jpgCharles Darwin by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Very nice, but for some reason, the last picture, from the back, reminds me of H. G. Wells' The Time Machine.

On 7/13/2017 at 2:50 PM, JGW3000 said:

Very nice, but for some reason, the last picture, from the back, reminds me of H. G. Wells' The Time Machine.

Thanks. I can see what you mean with the time machine, but at least it is in the correct Victorian time period ;). The model required a base and I thought I would make it more substantial to include the ape, fossil, picture of the ship and the barnacles and add elements relevant to Darwin. I also wanted to make Darwin sitting down similar to many photos that were taken of him, particularly when he was older with his white beard.

17 hours ago, sunhuntin said:

Very nicely done. I do enjoy viewing a nice model and learning a little at the same time.

Thanks for the nice comments. 

19 hours ago, jjr_2009 said:

Super impressive. Great work!

Thanks!

19 hours ago, jjr_2009 said:

Super impressive. Great work!

Thanks!