Sign in to follow this  
Bodi

[OL - FB] Ship of the line l'Ardent

The weather is sticky and clothing becomes an imposition...the temperature is unbearable, people prefers to stay in the state of inactivity, however, what happened in the Eltina Harbour might have aroused their attention, a brand new ship of the line leaves the port and sails in open waters towards the horizon. But no, they are not excited by this spectacle, another two-decker, and than, what else? We have already three like this. This is fully understandable, one is a surprise, two is great, four becomes a habit. The Oleanders of the New Terra are accoustumed by the sight of tall ships.

Neverthless, the Oleander leadership had the kindness to appoint a delagation to honour the maiden voyage of the Ardent, a 50-gun twodecker.

IqWJYV.jpg

And a dude with a shako, he looks definitely familiar...:wink:

Smouth sailing, calm sea...

But the weather can be capricious, l'Ardent sailing in rough sea.:rofl:

We'd better come back to port, quickly!

Here's a view of the figure head.

For this ship, I've tried some new techniques to represent the curve of the real ship, using hinges. I've also tried to build a roundish stern with hinges, as you can see on the last photo.

Roundish stern.

No, this is the last photo.:wall: The rear part is easily openable/removable to reveal the interior.

Thanks for viewing, C&C are welcome.

Vive le Roi!

A new pic, slightly modified bow and quarterdeck:

A good full rigged ship ! Made for war as it seems...

the stairs to the rear castle seems a little bit weird, but the shot was probably taken during rough sea :grin:

Great shaping work for the whole ship, feels like a real one !

NB : I will probably copy some of your rigging

Great job with the curves!

I am not such a huge fan of single yellow line on the bow however. It could have been smoother it the line makes a "U" instead of a "L". A double line can be great as well :)

9 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

A good full rigged ship ! Made for war as it seems...

the stairs to the rear castle seems a little bit weird, but the shot was probably taken during rough sea :grin:

Great shaping work for the whole ship, feels like a real one !

NB : I will probably copy some of your rigging

You are right, the image should be deformed by bad weather.:tongue: In fact I forgot to add stairs and the rigging was already attached when I realized there's no stairs, and with all these strings and rods, it was difficult to build something decent with my big fingers.:wacko:

9 hours ago, Mike S said:

A beautiful ship you've made here!  Very nice! :thumbup:

Thank you Mike, glad you like it!

8 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Great job with the curves!

I am not such a huge fan of single yellow line on the bow however. It could have been smoother it the line makes a "U" instead of a "L". A double line can be great as well :)

Glad you like it Maxim! And I like how you described the bow railings.:sweet: 

Woohoo! Ship galore! You are maturing ship by ship regarding their designs and features :thumbup:

On 7/13/2017 at 4:50 PM, Bodi said:

The weather is sticky and clothing becomes an imposition...the temperature is unbearable, people prefers to stay in the state of inactivity

This pretty much sums up the weather I am experiencing for 3 weeks in a row... I need vacation to go swimming!!! :pir-cry_sad:

4 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Woohoo! Ship galore! You are maturing ship by ship regarding their designs and features :thumbup:

This pretty much sums up the weather I am experiencing for 3 weeks in a row... I need vacation to go swimming!!! :pir-cry_sad:

Thank you BD! When we talk about maturing, maybe you want to see my first attempt at shipbuilding, two years ago.:grin:

Spoiler

1421848782m_DISPLAY.jpg

And yes, summer is unbearable, I want winter back.:laugh:

Very nice ship! And you've really come along way. I hope I do to.

Do you have any more pictures, especially of the interior? 

Nicely done all around. Her lines look good and you did a nice job making her ornate and colorful. Very fitting for an Oleander vessel. Hats off with all the details you included. All the features I expect to see on a sailing ship are present. My main complaint is with the head rails. They're very difficult to get right in Lego, but I don't think the current design does your ship justice. The best solution I have found is using flex tubing, but some brick built solutions look decent, too. Just some food for thought. 

The delegation is a fun addition, too. I hope they don't have too much trouble with the dude in the shako:pir_laugh2:.

3 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Very nice ship! And you've really come along way. I hope I do to.

Do you have any more pictures, especially of the interior? 

Sorry Mesabi, I haven't more pictures of the interior for now, but I still have something for you.:pir-laugh:

Spoiler

A convoy is conducting the saboteur to Argentia, Count Mesabi can also find in the convoy a strange device, the latest invention of Oleander craftmen.

15001057361_DISPLAY.jpg

3 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

Nicely done all around. Her lines look good and you did a nice job making her ornate and colorful. Very fitting for an Oleander vessel. Hats off with all the details you included. All the features I expect to see on a sailing ship are present. My main complaint is with the head rails. They're very difficult to get right in Lego, but I don't think the current design does your ship justice. The best solution I have found is using flex tubing, but some brick built solutions look decent, too. Just some food for thought. 

The delegation is a fun addition, too. I hope they don't have too much trouble with the dude in the shako:pir_laugh2:.

Thank you CG! The ship in the first link looks awesome, it's always great to see a custom built hull, and the head rails are indeed very well done.:thumbup:

For the delegation, it was quite tricky to assemble these sigfigs, especially the one with a conquistador head and a revolutionary soldier's torso.:imperialguard_commander1:

4 hours ago, Bodi said:

Sorry Mesabi, I haven't more pictures of the interior for now, but I still have something for you.:pir-laugh:

Reveal hidden contents

A convoy is conducting the saboteur to Argentia, Count Mesabi can also find in the convoy a strange device, the latest invention of Oleander craftmen.

15001057361_DISPLAY.jpg

Wait, have some protesters aquired an early prototype then? 

Well, I can only repeat others - impressive Ship of the Line! But I have to agree with the bow - I'll shamelessly self-advertise here and show you a couple of my solutions. Starting with the most elaborate I've done this far - flex tubes and droid arms.

Spoiler

32464352000_237f548cc1_c.jpg

Then there are flex axles - which I found working pretty well, but they require some effort to mount properly, given that the mounting options are somewhat limited.

Spoiler

31634331263_51297da883_c.jpg

And lastly - a solution I don't have my own example for(that is good enough for sharing), I'll rather show the solution by Captain Green Hair directly - brick (plate) built headrails. 

Spoiler

11131275176_59fa8eb3f3_c.jpg

Non of these are 2 deckers, but several of these techniques have been used in 2 decked vessels - like the Prince of WalesLa Mort Royale and Sang Royale which come to my mind right now. 

11 hours ago, Legostone said:

Wait, have some protesters aquired an early prototype then? 

Well, I can only repeat others - impressive Ship of the Line! But I have to agree with the bow - I'll shamelessly self-advertise here and show you a couple of my solutions. Starting with the most elaborate I've done this far - flex tubes and droid arms.

Reveal hidden contents

32464352000_237f548cc1_c.jpg

Then there are flex axles - which I found working pretty well, but they require some effort to mount properly, given that the mounting options are somewhat limited.

Reveal hidden contents

31634331263_51297da883_c.jpg

And lastly - a solution I don't have my own example for(that is good enough for sharing), I'll rather show the solution by Captain Green Hair directly - brick (plate) built headrails. 

Reveal hidden contents

11131275176_59fa8eb3f3_c.jpg

Non of these are 2 deckers, but several of these techniques have been used in 2 decked vessels - like the Prince of WalesLa Mort Royale and Sang Royale which come to my mind right now. 

Oh noooo! The old world has once again preceded us in term of invention. The origin of this guillotine remains a mystery, maybe it was channeled in New Terra by some sympathizers.

Great techniques for the head rails, LS, I like your rails built with axles, they are very close to real ones I think. And CGH's is also a good solution, I must say I've already stole a good few of his ideas.:pir-laugh: