Ayrlego

[COR - Jul FB] Jaguar Tower, Myzectlan

Colonel Allcock has lingered in Myzectlan, learning the culture and customs of the Myzec people. Despite having been on Cascadia for some time, he has yet to have seen one of the islands famed large cats. Although at night he has often heard them, they have remained elusive. Learning of his interest, one of the Myzec warriors with whom he has become friendly with, has offered to guide him to a watchtower in the jungle just outside the hidden valley in which Myzectlan is located.

The watchtower is part of an overgrown fort complex, and although the jungle has long ago reclaimed most of the structures that once stood here, the watch tower remains standing and functional. The Myzec simply call it the 'Jaguar Tower', so named as the jungle cats frequently travel along the small stream running past the tower at night.

35066039043_177a8cca06_c.jpg

After a long night waiting, Dirks patience finally pays off as, in the early hours of the morning, a jaguar strides past, its powerful muscles highlighted by the moonlight.

-------

A build mainly to use my brand new jaguar I recently acquired! The tower is in the style of Gideon's jungle temple, a style I decided I liked much more than my own last attempt at Meso-American! Will be licensed as a small fort for Myzectlan.

Edited by Ayrlego

Brilliant take on a fortification for a lost city, sir, and a very good rendition of Gideon's style. You have achieved a nice overgrown look, and I really like those big cats! (Just ordered the panther set myself) My favourite detail is the remaining foundation of the wall just behind the jaguar. 

Montoya is really envying Allcock's continued exploration, which may have made him more irritable and short-tempered during the Malto talks than usual! ;) But he shall be looking forward to reading about and discussing Allcock's findings! 

:wub: :drool: Fantastic scene, Ayrlego - lovely work with that jungle, and the stream, jaguar, and tower add a perfect color contrast.  The whole thing fits together beautifully (and is splendidly photographed, as usual!)  I'm really liking the colors of the overgrown tower, as well as the bands of studs around it and the step in with those slopes!  Great job all around (and I'm afraid those jungle sets will be all sold out soon if they keep getting swept up by everyone like this! :laugh:)

If there's one tiny nitpick I'd have, it'd be the two green strings with handle-holds hanging down from the top of the tower - and just that they seem to hang down exactly the same length, which looks a tad odd.  That's a super small thing in a build like this, though! - can't wait to see more of Cascadia from you all! :excited:

That's a weel executed ancient style tower !

The remains of the wall are a good idea, but what emphasize the built is the black background, giving the whole scene a stifling light typical of the thick jungle... a brilliant shot.

Are other pics available ?

Very nice build, Ayrlego!

The inspiration from Gideon was instantaneously recognizable, and that is a good thing!  That building style is very good for overgrown Meso-American architecture.  The surrounding jungle is so very realistic.  The little strip of water on the leading edge really adds a lot to the scene, as does the black background.

It is interesting to see the introduction of the new large cats into builds!

This tower turned out fabulously! I like the use of the leopard as it contrasts with the background way better than the panther would have. You have once again excelled at the foliage and jungle. The tower also is exceptional. What is the pink (brown) spot in the jungle at about 1:30 from the panther? 

Wow!  You guys are really gonna make me do a native/jungle build soon!  This is awesome Ayrlego - fantastic vegetation, and great tower! :thumbup:  Cool to see those awesome jaguars and panthers getting used too!

So absolutely fabulous!

So what do I love most? No clue!
The tower is absolutely amazing, the style indeed is perfect, and the mix-in of the two greens to show it's over-grown-ness works out wonderfully.
The rest of the walls behind the jaguar are really cool.
I definitely love those palm-trees with the green whip which I already copied from you once.
The small creek looks amazing, and having it right at the edge of the MOC makes it look a lot larger.
My clear favourite, though, is the cleanness of the vegetation. How it slowly elevates towards the tower, how you found the perfect mix of greenery, and actually make it look extraordinary without doing any fancy or overly complex plant creations.

My favourite, though, I guess: Minifig placement is a different art, which is often key to MOCs. Animal placement is in my opinion even harder, but you just nailed it 100%. So damn great!

Oh no! Another big cat pops up and my panther remains unused.  :/

But your use is stumning! As I said about Elostirion's build, it's a bit of a challenge to arrange those cats in a build in a way that works effectively. I must say it is positioned prefectly, sneaking along the river. It's placed prominently in the foreground and its colour scheme makes it an eyecatcher. 

But it only distracts for a moment, because the background is wonderful. 

First I would like to say that I love your guys task on Meso-american influenced natives in BoBS (adressing all the Eslandiard fellows awell). That really enhances this world. I'll love to make an attempt on that of my own one day.

Your tower is immediately recognizable as being inspired by these civilizations. And for me personally, it has a great resemblance to the Aztec watch towers in Age of Empires, something that makes me liking it even more.

I don't want to spoil my praisings here by nitpicking, but if anything, I would suggest to include a few more weathering and torn details in the texture to flesh out the age of the structures. Of course you stated that despite its age the tower was in excellent condition, but personally I think all the overgrown plants would look more reasonable on a slightly more ruined structure. Perhaps a few cheese slope here and there instead of full bricks, as if single bricks did become loose and fell out. 

But that does in no way diminish the impact of the whole. With no doubt a fantastic scene.

Great tower! First I thought Allcock was aiming with a musket, but no, it was a scope. I like also how you managed to create a variety of plant, it makes the jungle so real. Nice job all round.

:wub: :wub: Gimme cats ANYWHERE!!! I just love them! Beautiful build as always! I'll echo Bodi on the musket vs scope thing!

On 7/12/2017 at 10:11 PM, Bregir said:

Brilliant take on a fortification for a lost city, sir, and a very good rendition of Gideon's style. You have achieved a nice overgrown look, and I really like those big cats! (Just ordered the panther set myself) My favourite detail is the remaining foundation of the wall just behind the jaguar. 

Montoya is really envying Allcock's continued exploration, which may have made him more irritable and short-tempered during the Malto talks than usual! ;) But he shall be looking forward to reading about and discussing Allcock's findings! 

Thanks Bregir, hopefully Montoya can resume exploring Cascadia again very shortly!

On 7/12/2017 at 11:50 PM, Garmadon said:

If there's one tiny nitpick I'd have, it'd be the two green strings with handle-holds hanging down from the top of the tower - and just that they seem to hang down exactly the same length, which looks a tad odd.

Thanks Garm, It's good advice (and such a simple little thing!). I have changed the lengths for a reshoot I am going to do for LoR.

On 7/12/2017 at 11:51 PM, Mike S said:

Brilliant build! Love every detail!

Thank you Mike!

On 7/13/2017 at 0:50 AM, Professor Thaum said:

That's a weel executed ancient style tower !

The remains of the wall are a good idea, but what emphasize the built is the black background, giving the whole scene a stifling light typical of the thick jungle... a brilliant shot.

Are other pics available ?

Thanks Professor, I do find the black background really highlights the greens in a jungle scene. I didn't take any pics from other angles, but the build is still assembled if their is anything in particular you'd like to see.

On 7/13/2017 at 1:07 AM, Slegengr said:

Very nice build, Ayrlego!

Thanks!

On 7/13/2017 at 1:19 AM, SilentWolf said:

What is the pink (brown) spot in the jungle at about 1:30 from the panther? 

Thanks SilentWolf. The brown patch is a reddish-brown slope from a tree trunk that I started building before changing my mind and going with a different style of trees. I forgot to remove the trunk, thinking it wouldn't matter - but regretted it as soon as I'd finished editing the photos (typical right!?). It was the first thing I removed for a reshoot I have planned for LoR.

On 7/13/2017 at 4:21 AM, Kai NRG said:

Wow!  You guys are really gonna make me do a native/jungle build soon!  This is awesome Ayrlego - fantastic vegetation, and great tower! :thumbup:  Cool to see those awesome jaguars and panthers getting used too!

Thanks Kai, I too am really excited about the new big cats! Soon we will have builds using all three (because @Elostirion just could help himself and managed to obtain an outrageously expensive tiger! :pir-laugh:) Feel free to drop into Cascadia anytime for a MOC or two!

On 7/13/2017 at 4:50 AM, Elostirion said:

I definitely love those palm-trees with the green whip which I already copied from you once.

Thanks Elostirion, I can't claim that as an original technique of mine, I copied it from this build:

26369122942_5a0b28e461_n.jpg

IMGP8086 by deborah higdon, on Flickr

I'm eagerly awaiting the completion of your tiger build!

On 7/13/2017 at 7:38 AM, Jacob Nion said:

Perhaps a few cheese slope here and there instead of full bricks, as if single bricks did become loose and fell out. 

Great advice, thanks Jacob. When I was building the ruins at the base of the tower I actually 're-discovered' my grey cheese slopes and cursed myself for not using them on the tower!! Feel free to dabble in Azetc style on Cascadia any time you like, I can only imagine how great a similarly styled build from you would be!!

On 7/13/2017 at 9:47 AM, Bodi said:

Great tower! First I thought Allcock was aiming with a musket, but no, it was a scope. I like also how you managed to create a variety of plant, it makes the jungle so real. Nice job all round.

Thank you! Allcock would never shoot such a magnificent beast!!! He's quite ahead of his time with things like that! :pir_tong2:

On 7/15/2017 at 5:56 AM, blackdeathgr said:

:wub: :wub: Gimme cats ANYWHERE!!! I just love them! Beautiful build as always! I'll echo Bodi on the musket vs scope thing!

Thanks BD! The more cats the better! (even better than cows right???? :pir_tong2:)

11 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I didn't take any pics from other angles, but the build is still assembled if their is anything in particular you'd like to see.

the reverse angle from the original picture

On 18/07/2017 at 5:50 PM, Professor Thaum said:

the reverse angle from the original picture

Sorry for the late reply, I finally got around to taking that picture for you... I warn you though, it isn't pretty!

36208991940_ec4f320154_c.jpg

It is as great as the front size... except for the base, but who cares from a base reverse side ?

I thought your built was openwork from reverse as standard lego

The unattached and unsupported green plate on the lower right is killing me! :pir-tongue:

From time to time it happens that I miss an excellent MOC, until weeks later someone (in this case Bregir) comments on it and it pops right up on top of the list of my unread posts. This is one of them, and it is really spectacular. Lovely, dense foliage and a beautifully textured watchtower. Great build! :classic: