Rick

2018 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

There is a great speed build video of 60195 and one of the other arctic sets on the Austrian lego fan's Youtube channel.

Does this mean the city arctic sets are already available in some regions?

12 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Does this mean the city arctic sets are already available in some regions?

Now available in some UK and Irish retailers, yes!

Here's a speed build of the Capital City:

That hotel looks amazing! :classic: :thumbup: I'm actually pretty surprised (in a good way) to see there are two rooms! I dig the chaise longue and the revolving door!

21 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Here's a speed build of the Capital City:

That hotel looks amazing! :classic: :thumbup: I'm actually pretty surprised (in a good way) to see there are two rooms! I dig the chaise longue and the revolving door!

Wow. Thanks for sharing this. Didn't expect to see vids of this one yet as didn't think it was coming out till august. The hotel looks great and the bus is amazing. 

Edited by LuxorV
Removed quoted video.

The Capital City one looks great. But the Museum bit does look like a waste of pieces. There is literally nothing there. 

I guess it was included for playability. 

14 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Danm, they really did go above and beyond with that building! Second to the hotel, my next favorite build would have to be the black and blue sports car, as it vaguely reminds me of a Bugatti Chiron! :thumbup: :grin:

By the way, have we ever seen that bellhop torso design before? *oh2*

2 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Awesome set. Long overdue. 

Edited by LuxorV
Removed quoted video.

2 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Awesome set. Long overdue. 

Maybe this set and rollercoaster set, are showing the new patch for Lego. No more boring movie themes or nexo-nights - instead let's give people what they want. No more stripping the sets from everything to lower the set costs. Who knows maybe one day the baseplates will return to sets like this Hospital, I am really sure that a baseplate increases playability of sets A LOT. I really hope that lego will start to think less about cost saving and care more about playability of the sets. 

The hospital looks awesome in that video posted by @LegoModularFan

The interior features are really well thought out. The xray room using the light brick is really cool.

There are some terrific city sets coming out this summer. I reckon overall the summer wave is better than the first sets released at the start of the year. 

39 minutes ago, MACIEK8791 said:

Maybe this set and rollercoaster set, are showing the new patch for Lego. No more boring movie themes or nexo-nights - instead let's give people what they want. No more stripping the sets from everything to lower the set costs. Who knows maybe one day the baseplates will return to sets like this Hospital, I am really sure that a baseplate increases playability of sets A LOT. I really hope that lego will start to think less about cost saving and care more about playability of the sets. 

I think you're grasping at straws here. First of all, Nexo Knights seems to have done reasonably well and I'm sure there will be other wacky themes like it in the future — if a theme ending meant LEGO rejected everything it stood for then theme categories like pirates, secret agents, underwater, underground, and space would have left the picture well over a decade ago. Furthermore, movie themes are still all over the place and there's no sign they're going away.

And anyway, these themes you don't like never got in the way of cool City or Creator Expert sets before, so I don't see why two more cool City or Creator Expert sets would be seen as any sort of change in the status quo. Believe it or not, the big gap between the previous City hospital and this one was not even out of the ordinary, because LEGO hospitals have always been infrequent, even in the Classic Town era. It's quite possible that after this one there'll be another six-year gap before the next City hospital, and if so that'd be perfectly normal.

It's possible that City sets might return to using traditional baseplates one day, though I'd prefer if they didn't, since standard thickness plates are vastly superior to traditional baseplates in most applications. To be honest, I'd be delighted if LEGO would go so far as to expand the use of traditional plates and introduce a new road system that is more tile-based.

Edited by Aanchir

5 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

[Hospital speed build video]

10:18 "Oof, ugghh, bonk, arrgh, get in there drawer!" :laugh:

Is the roof of the ambulance a new piece?

Brick Builder opens Lego bags like a boss. Makes traditional method look so unsophisticated.

That hospital is great! Lots of play functions, and what's in there is quite realistic. Terrific use of the light brick. A very decent Ambulance with a new design for van type vehicles to booth - not your usual run of the mill last years design dumbed down like in the recent Fire Brigade and Police sets. And that cast!

20 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Is the roof of the ambulance a new piece?

No, that's been around for a while. Have two lying around doing nothing and two are in use - one in the most recent camper (60057), the other in the Ice Cream van from The Lego Movie (heavily modded for my city, though).

The Ambulance looks pretty good, the interior of the Hospital is nice (especially that trick with the Light brick, makes me smile a little). But that Helicopter looks as it wouldn't belong in this set and just happened to be thrown in "accidentally" *cough*.... In my opinion, it would've been better to skip the Heli and instead make the Hospital a bit wider inside.

Edited by Capparezza

I haven't been into City in quite some time but I'm really liking the looks of some of these sets. The Hospital breaks free from Lego's latest trend of making "buildings" more of facades with 3 stud deep interiors and has some great details packed in, and I absolutely love the variety to the Capital City, plus that Hotel looks great. (Now I'd really like to see it upscaled to Modular size...perhaps a project for later)

I love the new Hospital, its awesome. Too bad I will probably need to wait months to get one (and the Outdoor People Pack and the other new City sets) because of the stupid way LEGO Australia sets its release dates for second-half-year sets :(

Loving the look of most these new city sets. Whats the chances of the Saber Tooth and Woolly Mammoth (all the pieces) being available on bricks and pieces? Those two animals are the only things I want out of the larger arctic sets.

Spotted the Capital set (with the double decker bus) at the Dreamworld LEGO store yesterday but at $200, I will wait for it to hit local retail and go on sale.

There were found at the Hamburg LEGO Brand Store.

LEGO-xtra-Bicycles-40313.jpgLEGO-xtra-Traffic-Lights-40311.jpgLEGO-xtra-Trees-40310.jpgLEGO-xtra-Lightposts-40312.jpgLEGO-xtra-Food-40309.jpg

Source: Promobricks

Edited by Robert8

I've just been looking at the lego website at all the new sets available from today and stumbled across this

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Microscale-LEGO-Brand-Store-40305

This had been rumored for the past few weeks to be a future promo set but it seems that's not the case. It's available to buy right now from the UK lego store.

I know it's not really a city set but I think it's a fantastic looking little model and will fit in perfectly with other city buildings. It's only £21.99 as well. :sweet:

Edited by Bricked1980

I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of detail in the Hospital. It looks like they took a few key points from the Friends and Modulars and applied them to CITY. That's a move in the right direction. I observe minimal juniorization too.

Edited by brickbuilder711

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Oh, look at this! LEGO going the "Service Packs" way again? Some nice additions to an existing City Layout, without working through the extensive Pick a brick list...

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

These are great.  If only they would make these for the Castle theme.

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

There were found at the Hamburg LEGO Brand Store

Ooooh, now this is a new theme I'll be keeping a close eye on! I wonder if it will encompass a broader range of themes besides City seemingly? :thumbup: :wink:

7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Outstanding!  These polybags are exactly the type of things I am looking for.  Really hoping they make it this side of the Atlantic.