Rick

2018 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

12 minutes ago, BrickyBoy said:

The police officer is eating an ice cream!

So the museum is under construction? Maybe it's finished at the end of the year, could be the new 2019 modular? :tongue:

Cheers. Just thought that was someone in a summer shirt.

Wow

That is amazing!

The hotel looks amazing. And so does the double deck bus!

Edited by Robert8

1 hour ago, BrickyBoy said:

So the museum is under construction? Maybe it's finished at the end of the year, could be the new 2019 modular? :tongue:

Now that's a tempting thought! :sweet:  Actually I reckon the only thing I'm not so keen on with the set is the museum under construction. I'd have preferred a fully built museum.

I bet there will be a few people who create a full size MOC modular version of the hotel.

In love with that Double-Decker bus, glad we are getting a minifig scale one! This set has a more wow factor for me then the last one, the hotel looks great for the size, ice cream trike is a great addition, even a fan of the museum even though its so small I feel it can be added on pretty easily. skate park and orange smart car look great as well!

Love this one (too). A must-have but think I`ll wait for a 20+% discount. The icecream tuk-tuk and bus is especially nicely done! :)

I don't like how the scale of these buildings isn't in line with the modulars. I don't think they go well together unless you modify them. I probably won't pick this up. I wish they would have released the stuff separately since the bus is definitely something I'd be interested in.

Good too see an electric re-charge facility, but it would have been better using a string piece like in 60132 Service Station instead of a hose piece. 

Maybe with all this use of green energy we will see a need Wind Turbine set like 7747 Wind Turbine or 4999 Vestas Wind Turbine.

Edited by scottwb2010

I like most of this set. I could personally do without the police bike, crane, & ramp though. Everything else looks great. The best part? It’s not a bike & pizza shop!

4 hours ago, scottwb2010 said:

Finally there is a Police motor bike but can't see a police officer. At first I thought it was the guy all in black doing traffic control in top picture, but in bottom picture I think he is the concierge at the hotel.

The police officer has stepped off the bike to get some lovely icecream... [edit] oops, didn't see there was another page. Bit late to the party, then... :blush:

Edited by jfbat

I have mixed feelings about this Capital City set or whatever they're gonna call it. 

On the one hand, the vehicles look great. Especially the tour bus. 

But, on the other . . why so much tan? Tan is already an absurdly overused colour for buildings - look at Lockwood Estate, or Downtown Diner. The hotel also doesn't do itself any favours with only having a single guest room and those holes in the walls. And that's a pretty pathetic excuse for a museum - sure, it might be under construction, but be honest. Does anyone want to put something that's built to look boring and unfinished into their city and say "It's under construction,"? 

I do like the fast food place, though. Plus, the vehicles; especially the double-decker bus and the ice-cream truck. Unfortunately, those don't make it worth it. I'd rather save for the Hospital and the Ninjago City Docks. 

Oh, city is going really well these days, the hospital, this... :sweet: I pretty like the hotel, the double decker bus, the caveman and the ice cream truck like everyone! It's going to be great to see some MODs of that hotel, I'm especially really happy to know that @BrickyBoy's going to MOD it as well! Did you guys see his Modular Museum very slightly based on Museum Break-in set, and Modular Bank & Apartment very slightly based on Bank & Money Transfer set? They look fantastic! :wub: :thumbup:

Spoiler

P1010558

Front

7 hours ago, BrickyBoy said:

But in the end, I have to admit I really hoped for a new, more "Town Plan oriented" set this year.

Same here. :sceptic:

mmmm, mixed feelings here.  On the box art, it looks amazing, but then when you see the small collection of mini builds arranged close together, it's a little less impressive.  I like the bus and ice cream car, nice touch with the electric car charging point.  The hotel is ok, the museum appear to have like 1 exhibit, I'm thinking it's a bit of a rubbish museum. 

I just wish Lego would see the benefit of including road plates again.  How good would this set have been with a bit more street furniture, and the builds layed out around a couple of road plates.

I count 13 minifigs, must be getting to the maximum we have seen included in a city set?

Also hot dogs appear to be the new junk food item of choice for our little minifigs 

26 minutes ago, paul_delahaye said:

I just wish Lego would see the benefit of including road plates again.  How good would this set have been with a bit more street furniture, and the builds layed out around a couple of road plates.

I count 13 minifigs, must be getting to the maximum we have seen included in a city set?

Also hot dogs appear to be the new junk food item of choice for our little minifigs 

Amen. I don't even know where to get road plates here in Australia. -.-

Yep. Whoever's producing the hot dogs in-universe must be making a killing. 

1 hour ago, paul_delahaye said:

I agree. Just adding a few road plates would really finish this set off nicely and would add loads more playability options for the kids.

At least the hotel has got a thin strip of pavement/sidewalk running at the base of the building.

Personally I think that most city buildings would benefit from being supplied with a road plate, although I imagine this would only push up the cost of the sets.

This city-square-set is quite intriguing. Ok, the buildings are pretty basic, but thats to be expected in the city line. The bus and all the tiny bits do look really sweet though. A busy set with a lot of play/display value. If the pricing is within reason, I'm starting to get really excited.:wink:

All in all, so far the 2018 sets make a really good impression to me. Good to see!

I tend to avoid sets like this where my "excitement to disappointment on closer inspection" time is short. I'll probably BL the few bits that are of interest but that's all.

So what I think about the set is this: I don't care much about the skatepark or the museum. The Electric car looks more like an electric than the one from 2016. The blue car looks like a civilian version of the police car from last year's station. The Tuk Tuk is great, haven't seen one before. The hotel looks interesting, I'll have to wait and see, but the bus is probably the best of the bunch. The crane is okay. Overall, I might get this. I kind of hope that 60199 and 60203 are similar sized sets to connect to this, like a waterfront area with a harbour.

Given the title, I was anticipating a capitol building to be the centerpiece, so I'm a little disappointed right off the top. The hotel is a nice addition. The museum would have been another inspired building had it been finished with more than just a caveman, esp given the parts available to the designers today. A couple floors decoed with various cultural artifacts would have been amazing. As with the set from 2013, I find the crane to be unnecessary, and would rather its part allotment have gone into more buildings, or adding additional detail to the already existing buildings. I concur with other folks' statements regarding the addition of road plates to these large city sets; I think it would make them feel more coherent rather than a collection of disparate elements.

I skipped the updated Town Plan set from a few years back, and would have welcomed a new update, esp a town hall or city capitol building. Guess I'll keep waiting.

11 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Oh, city is going really well these days, the hospital, this... :sweet: I pretty like the hotel, the double decker bus, the caveman and the ice cream truck like everyone! It's going to be great to see some MODs of that hotel, I'm especially really happy to know that @BrickyBoy's going to MOD it as well! Did you guys see his Modular Museum very slightly based on Museum Break-in set, and Modular Bank & Apartment very slightly based on Bank & Money Transfer set? They look fantastic! :wub: :thumbup:

Reveal hidden contents

P1010558

Front

Same here. :sceptic:

Thanks for your kind words! :blush: It's the thing I enjoy the most: modding official Lego models. At the moment I'm still working on a mod of the Brick Bank (will be police hq) and own modular versions of Bike Shop & Café and Corner Deli. And also some mocs... Maybe I will start a thread with all my work in progress.

As far as this new set goes, I think I will combine the hotel building with elements from the Friends Hotel and maybe the structure of the Jurassic World Lockwood Estate.

Edited by BrickyBoy

dkk 1099 is the price for Capital at Legoland Billund. Same as 60162 Jungle Exclusive. The Arctic sets are also available there

On 2 May 2018 at 5:50 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

What's 60199?  I can't find any mention of it anywhere, not even on Brickset.

I think it's possible it's a cancelled set? Themes do occasionally skip set numbers, I assume it because of the reason I mentioned above that this happens.

Thank you very much for the pics of the Capital, dimaks13! :classic:

On 1.5.2018 at 3:28 PM, BrickyBoy said:

What a surprise! Didn't see this coming... There are nice elements in this set. The hop-on hop-off bus is the highlight for me. And the hotel building is a good base/starting point for a big moc. In contrary, the museum/exhibition is very very weak and empty. The idea is nice though.

But in the end, I have to admit I really hoped for a new, more "Town Plan oriented" set this year.

I completely agree with all you said, BrickyBoy!

The museum is a great idea. And when the caveman is placed inside, it for sure looks more appealing. Nevertheless it's too small and an entrance is missing. Apart from the blue (imo too wide) car, I do really like all the vehicles - esp. the city tour bus and the ice cream car. Since we got a halfpipe in the Creator winter wave, imo this one is wasting money and bricks. Nevertheless it does look nice. The snackbar is fine. Apart from the holes on the sides, the hotel is a real beauity.

All in all a great set! I would have prefered a new exclusive Town Plan in order to get bigger (16x32) buildings and instead of a hotel and / or a museum I would have liked to get a huge department store. But for now I'm happy with this set, too. :wub::wub:

3 hours ago, J4ck said:
On 2.5.2018 at 6:50 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

What's 60199?  I can't find any mention of it anywhere, not even on Brickset.

I think it's possible it's a cancelled set? Themes do occasionally skip set numbers, I assume it because of the reason I mentioned above that this happens.

On the one hand it might well be that 60199 and 60203 were cancelled (since 60187 and 60189 don't appear anywhere, too).

On the other hand, firstly this would be the first time in Lego's Trains theme history of the last years that TLG released a new Trains subtheme without any train station. Plus some time ago we got the info (I think it was @Sir von Lego) that there'll be a caveman and an orca in this year's (exclusive) Arctic sets. Now we see that the caveman appears in the Capital. So wouldn't it be likely that the orca appeared in another, not still known (Arctic) Exclusive? So then only the other set number in the row (60199 or 60203) would be missing and could likely be a station.

What if the missing Arctic exclusive set was meant to be a TRU exclusive? How is TRU exclusives not released yet being handled? Hope the set with the orca get released and who's to say the caveman reported to be in that set isn't still in it but frozen in ice and the one in the capital set is the same caveman but unfrozen and on display? We know Lego likes doing things like that in city set (fun at the park baby being a kid in the recent camper set)