Rick

2018 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

8 hours ago, jake0324demo said:

Radiokontrol has official box images for the arctic subtheme for city summer 2018, sadly no images of the hospital or people pack.

They are digging out a dragonfly printed brick in the starter set :sweet:

Have the husky in the other set a different print? Looks brown to me *huh*

38 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

They are digging out a dragonfly printed brick in the starter set :sweet:

You think? How can you tell? That part could have great applications for Jurassic World!

The new trapper hat is great, but I do hope we soon see it recolored in either brown or tan.

By the way, the mammoth's body looks to be not very repurposable, particularly for an elephant. :sceptic:

I've seen a lot of criticism of the vehicles being a little too "make-believe", and I have to admit a number of them look pretty fantastical! But I've been able to track down some of the possible real-world inspiration for some of them:

• The main vehicle in the Mobile Exploration Base seems to be based on a LeTourneau overland train — possibly a cross between the VC-22 Sno-Freighter and the later TC-497 Overland Train Mark II. Both were utilized in arctic settings.
  • The mobile base itself could be inspired by the Halley VI Antarctic Research Station
  • Rock saw fittings for excavators resembling the one in the Mobile Exploration Base are pretty easy to find pictures of. Less easy to find is any evidence of massive saws like these being used in the arctic. Excavators are used in the arctic and antarctic, but the examples I've found tend to have shovel or ice breaker fittings.
  • Can't find a vehicle quite like the Arctic Supply Aircraft but in a lot of ways it feels like an AN-74 (fuselage, wings, and engines) except with a twin-tail configuration like an AN-38.
Edited by Aanchir

It appears the two Sabertooth tigers are different colors. That’s a plus. 

Edited by froggy95

24 minutes ago, froggy95 said:

Not to my eyes or screen.

The Arctic sets look a lot better than they did in the prelims, IMO. I'll be getting the starter set at the very least. The tracked vehicle with the polar bear cave is tempting, but if it's $40 it's probably a no-go.

These arctic sets are clearly inspired by the reports we see of scientists finding the frozen mummified remains of mammoths in places like siberia.

Obviously they've given these sets a fantasy lego spin and introduced animals like sabre tooth cats that didn't live in arctic regions.

I'm curious to know though, are the animals in these sets supposed to be dead and mummified or have they pushed the fantasy element to the maximum and come up with a story that the animals are sort of resurrected as soon as they get thawed out? Apart from being incased in ice they look to be in pretty good nick to me. :laugh:

Anyway I'm sure kids would love a jurassic park style story with resurrected ice age beasts, but personally I think this is a bit out of place for lego city and is a bit too fantastical.

Having said this I do like the look of most of the vehicles in these sets.

3 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

I'm curious to know though, are the animals in these sets supposed to be dead and mummified or have they pushed the fantasy element to the maximum and come up with a story that the animals are sort of resurrected as soon as they get thawed out? Apart from being incased in ice they look to be in pretty good nick to me. :laugh:

Anyway I'm sure kids would love a jurassic park style story with resurrected ice age beasts, but personally I think this is a bit out of place for lego city and is a bit too fantastical.

Having said this I do like the look of most of the vehicles in these sets.

I'm pretty sure the animals are still alive. If only because, last time they created frozen creatures and gave them printing and decorations to make them look 'dead', with exposed bones and gore, it killed the China franchise. 

I'm guessing they're making the animals still alive and healthy if only so as to not give the kids nightmares. 

Land as for the fantasy elements being out of place in City? They're obviously running out of ideas. Makes me wonder what we'll see next year. XD

2 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I'm guessing they're making the animals still alive and healthy if only so as to not give the kids nightmares. 

Yes I think they are supposed to be alive as well. I've not got a problem with lego doing this as I'm sure the vast majority of kids would rather have explorers discovering long lost creatures rather than a load of dead decaying animals.

And actually maybe it's not as unrealistic as it first sounds. There are often stories in the media about scientists trying to find a perfectly preserved mammoth, in hopes that it could be cloned and brought back from extinction.

So although this is obviously not quite the same scenario that we are seeing in these new sets, I think this is clearly where lego have got their inspiration from.

It just seems to be a bit far fetched compared to what we'd usually see in lego city. I understand that they're trying to do something a bit different though rather than just doing a straight repeat of the last arctic subtheme.

5 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I've seen a lot of criticism of the vehicles being a little too "make-believe", and I have to admit a number of them look pretty fantastical!

Good, as at least this could give the theme grounds to travel beyond Earth, I hope at least. :smug:

10 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

And actually maybe it's not as unrealistic as it first sounds. There are often stories in the media about scientists trying to find a perfectly preserved mammoth, in hopes that it could be cloned and brought back from extinction.

So, if Lego is willing to use plausibly hypothetical science as inspirational source material for City subthemes, why not use a Lunar/Martian outpost as the setting for a future exploration subtheme? :classic:

2 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Not to my eyes or screen.

One looks dark tan and one looks medium orange. Guess we’ll wait til better pics come out. Doesn’t make sense to duplicate the same animal. 

Edited by froggy95

The people packed leaked. Main draws for me are the new baby carrier, the eagle, and the new girl hair piece. 4 new molds in total I think

Edited by Falconfan1414

To bad there is only a eagle and a fish when last years had 5 animals, had expected more when the theme is outdoor adventures.. Will of course buy one and some extra eagles as well :tongue:

I'm adoring that red hat, it's a shame there's no yellow hammer and sickle printed on :sceptic:.

On 22 April 2018 at 9:43 PM, froggy95 said:

One of the sabre tooth tigers is behind a blue transparent piece.

On 22 April 2018 at 10:07 AM, Robert8 said:

On that transparent light blue 1x1 round brick is a printed dragonfly of sorts?

Thank you very much for the news! :classic:

Outdoor Adventures included eagle, minimum seven new torsos and minimum three new faces. The tent looks brilliant as do the baby carrier and the new female hair piece. It's only a pity that we're not getting a new smartphone print (the ones seen are already years old) and that the old backpack (even in brown!) is used instead of the great, new backpack (like seen in TLNM CMS). But overall a great minifigures pack! :thumbup:

The people pack is brilliant. Highlights include the new prints, reuse of the rare, Bart Simpson-esque triple-molded legs, that grey wig that looks like it's a new mould, the eagle and the tent. 

I wonder where Mount Clutchmore is?