Rick

2018 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Does someone know whether Lego will present all summer sets in a display at Lego World Copenhagen this weekend like they did the last years? Because this could again give us hints which City Exclusive(s) we'll get.

(I honestly doubt that TLG will do because the first time photographing at Nuremberg Toy Fair wasn't allowed and all summer sets weren't shown at NY Toy Fair.)

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

6 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Does someone know whether Lego will present all summer sets in a display at Lego World Copenhagen this weekend like they did the last years? Because this could again give us hints which City Exclusive(s) we'll get.

(I honestly doubt that TLG will do because the first time photographing at Nuremberg Toy Fair wasn't allowed and all summer sets weren't shown at NY Toy Fair.)

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see and keep our fingers crossed. 

Lego World has been a good place for us to view the summer sets in the past and hopefully the will appear on the displays again this year but doubt it due to their understandable stance on not showing off the sets to be photographed  and essentially copied.

So have all the City sets for 2018 now been revealed or leaked? Or is there still a chance we could get a big town centre style set to replace 60097 or maybe an updated Town Plan as it's the 60th anniversary?

17 hours ago, Grover said:

Ford Mustang by a longshot.  Pretty much any car, really, except maybe a Festiva or something.  I could maybe get behind an Apache or an Osprey or something, but an AS350?  Bleh.  My opinion, though.

Lego won't do those, you should know better. They have however done a couple homages to the V-22 Crashprey, just not in military industrial complex barely-hovering-graveyard-livery. Which is good because then its only minifigures instead of brave Marines that perish when they eventually do what they're known for. Although these stated vehicle preferences are in-line with what some kids might like; masculinity compensating muscle cars and growing more useless by the day anti-armor attack helicopters.

12 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Lego won't do those, you should know better. They have however done a couple homages to the V-22 Crashprey, just not in military industrial complex barely-hovering-graveyard-livery. Which is good because then its only minifigures instead of brave Marines that perish when they eventually do what they're known for. Although these stated vehicle preferences are in-line with what some kids might like; masculinity compensating muscle cars and growing more useless by the day anti-armor attack helicopters.

Oh yeah, TLG won't do military, just saying that I am uninterested in helicopters in general.  The military ones are a little more interesting, but they'll never make them for sure.  I'd be quite happy to have knockoffs of Toyota sedans and minivans.  We need some more purely passenger vehicles to fill out the city for sure.  I doubt they'd sell, so they'll likely never make them, but such is life.

The problem with LEGO helicopters is that the designs are awfully damn repetitive. That coaxial rotor, Kamov-style Technic model from a year or two back was pretty novel, but we don't get that kind of thing in City.

Edited by K_Tiger

On 2/11/2018 at 12:48 PM, Grover said:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is perpetually disappointed by helicopters.  You can see a few occasionally if you're in a big city, but they are not as common as cars.  However, we tend to get a 1:1 or a 2:3 ratio of helicopters to cars in sets it seems.  I have actually refused to buy some of the police and arctic sets simply because they had helicopters in them and I'm tired of them.  I find that they're hard to display and lose their interest when they are everywhere.

I am excited to see what the new hospital is going to be like and the people pack for the mountain as well.  I'm hoping we get a few more mountain sets this year later on.

Let’s not forget the ever present number of off road quads. I think I have a huge bin just stuffed with those. Bonus when we get a set of a helicopter carrying a quad bike! 

Maybe it is the new rat mould from HP that are in the ice in 60192: Arctic Ice Crawler?

I earlier guessed it was a egg, and that makes more sense, but who knows..:sceptic:

On 15/02/2018 at 1:08 PM, Grover said:

Ford Mustang by a longshot.  Pretty much any car, really, except maybe a Festiva or something.  I could maybe get behind an Apache or an Osprey or something, but an AS350?  Bleh.  My opinion, though.

For the people who think their Cities - or Lego City in general - needs more cars, have you considered looking in Speed Champions? Because while a lot of the cars over there are pretty obviously race cars, some, like the Turbo 3.0 in upcoming set 75888, or the, ahem, Ford Mustang Fastback of 75885, just need their fenders removed and stickers left off (and maybe a couple of other minor tweaks) to fit right in as ordinary cars in a city.

35 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

For the people who think their Cities - or Lego City in general - needs more cars, have you considered looking in Speed Champions? Because while a lot of the cars over there are pretty obviously race cars, some, like the Turbo 3.0 in upcoming set 75888, or the, ahem, Ford Mustang Fastback of 75885, just need their fenders removed and stickers left off (and maybe a couple of other minor tweaks) to fit right in as ordinary cars in a city.

That's a decent option but its still an atypical vehicle. There are a lot of Lego fans who have a plethora of Speed Champions in their City layouts but its a bit comical when the majority of vehicles are either garbage trucks and street sweepers or $100,000+ exotic sports cars. Are all the residents hedge fund managers or does the town perpetually host a ponzi scheme convention?

I agree with this:

On 2/15/2018 at 12:31 PM, Grover said:

I'd be quite happy to have knockoffs of Toyota sedans and minivans.  We need some more purely passenger vehicles to fill out the city for sure.

Time to MOC some soccer moms and hand-me-down cars.

3 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

For the people who think their Cities - or Lego City in general - needs more cars, have you considered looking in Speed Champions?

Good idea. I'm thinking of picking up the new Ford fiesta to go in my city.

3 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Good idea. I'm thinking of picking up the new Ford fiesta to go in my city.

Nice. 

Personally, I plan to have a modified version of the Ford Mustang that's less of a Fastback and more of a Classback (XD) parked in the upper-class district as some rich guy's personal cruiser.

Also, did anyone note how two of those incredibly rare and useful 1x1 with horizontal bar attachment parts are included in the Ferrari Corsa? I'm going to contrive an excuse to get that just for the sake of those parts. 

Just wondered does anyone own 60132 service station? I have been thinking of getting this set for a while but always felt it was bit expensive for what it was.

It's now been retired but Argos are in the UK are selling it off for £41.99. There is also a discount code to get a further £5 off all lego sets over £25 so it would only end up costing me £36.99.

Would anybody recommend this set as a good one to get and do you think that is a decent price for it?

I used to work at a full service station so I bought the set as soon as I got a good deal. Love the set but would never pay full price for it. I kind of want a 2nd set for the other build.

On 2/25/2018 at 2:15 AM, fordtruckin said:

I used to work at a full service station so I bought the set as soon as I got a good deal. Love the set but would never pay full price for it. I kind of want a 2nd set for the other build.

Thanks for that. Managed to find another good deal on it so have snapped it up. :classic:

We should start to see hi-res Arctic preview pics soon, no? The frozen prehistoric animals, rumoured orca and mystery large exclusive set.

4 hours ago, Lucarex said:

The frozen prehistoric animals, rumoured orca and mystery large exclusive set.

Is there a large exclusive set rumored to be coming out this year? I haven't heard these rumors myself, do we know any details about it at all? I would hope it is a new version of "Town Plan" or some sort of large City Centre set to replace 60097.

Edited by Bricked1980

34 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Is there a large exclusive set rumored to be coming out this year? I haven't heard these rumors myself, do we know any details about it at all? I would hope it is a new version of "Town Plan" or some sort of large City Centre set to replace 60097.

It is probably a limited arctic set with a new killer whale mould..

1 hour ago, Falconfan1414 said:

The saber tooth tiger leaked....all I can say is fantastic! It uses the same body as the tiger but it looks amazing 

I saw that, too.  It looks fantastic!

10 hours ago, Roebuck said:

It is probably a limited arctic set with a new killer whale mould..

Yep, that's what I was referring to!

5 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

The saber tooth tiger leaked....all I can say is fantastic! It uses the same body as the tiger but it looks amazing 

Checked the usual insta and twitter pages but can't see anything...?

14 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Yep, that's what I was referring to!

Checked the usual insta and twitter pages but can't see anything...?

I guess you could say me :wink:

6 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

He's a little cartoonish with those angry eyes, but not bad considering! :thumbup:

I have to admit, I find it funny that they gave him tiger stripes, as many paleontologists have long dubunked the "Saber Tooth Tiger" misnomer awhile ago. We don't know if they if had strips or not, but the presence of them on this figure seems to show that designers took after the misnomer.