Rick

2018 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I agree about the car, it is simple yet effective.

I really like the beehive and the gold nugget pieces. Are they both new?

I don't normally go for city but those mining sets are pretty great looking.Coaster rails, that new rock that appeared in the ninjago movie, tracks, bears, big cats and a beehive/ lovely danger hat.

I like that both the mining theme and police theme involve gold, as it allows the two to be linked quite nicely (as in 2012).

I feel the mining machines themselves are good, even if the biggest machine seems to be a bucket-wheel excavator with a grinding-style wheel rather than buckets. They do somewhat dwarf the terrain provided though.

Overall, I think the 2012 series was better, but this is a good update and would probably complement them.

21 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Does look like a new mold! Not the first time we've seen it, though...

Hide contents

Specifically, it's the same element used in the Lego Ninjago Movie to symbolize Cole's earth element

Heyyyyy figured somebody in the city discussion woulda seen this. I didn’t see the pictures until about an hour ago, and then i went and mentioned it in the ninjago topic. 

Also in the mining “starter pack” I think the muscled sleeveless orange shirt with suspenders is very Fifth Element Bruce Willis. 

So many great things in these new sets.

Looks like I might end up spending more on City 2018 than I thought I would...\

I already knew I wanted the police station since I collect police stations but now I want that mine as well. That rescue helicopter reminds me a lot of the rescue helicopters we have in Australia which have the same red and yellow color scheme and that oversized RV looks neat also. Even the helicopter transport is cool with the red wheels (not seen in a long time) And of course I will be buying both the Mining and Police starter sets.

Is it just me or does it seem like there are less sets at the cheaper price points in 2018?

In particular there seems to be no vehicle sets at the size/price point of this years Race Plane, Buggy and Stunt Truck that I can see and few at the size/price point of things like the Pizza Van/Fishing Boat.

I'll probably only buy the police station when it comes on deep discount because I collect police stations, but I don't really like it, along with several 60170 Off-Road Chase because I want some police dirt bikes. Gonna do some extensive modification on that giant truck to make it not so wide.

Non police wise, I'll probably get 60183 Heavy Cargo Transport, 60181 Forest Tractor and 60179 Ambulance Helicopter.

Edited by Yeow

Brickset has more 2018 City pictures up. :grin:

The Mountain River Chase 60175 has to be my favorite out of all the new police sets. Everything about it is so cool, I love the robbers 6 x 6 amphibious vehicle and the armored truck. Does the armored truck driver have a new torso? I don't think I've seen that one before. The plane is pretty cool as well, I really like it's design. 4-wide planes are always special to get.

Another one I haven't seen yet is Mining Power Splitter, I love the detail they put in the vehicles this round, the stickers and paint schemes really look amazing. I wonder if there will be a fifth set for next years mining line up, Maybe it will be a store exclusive. 

I really love all these sets. :wub: They are all amazing.

That Mine - the vehicles are great, but the actual mine is so disappointing!  I'm so glad that I bought the 2012 Gold Mine now, but do you think that this new one would work well as an add on to 4204? If so, then I might still get it.

Edited by Vilhelm22

21 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

I like that both the mining theme and police theme involve gold, as it allows the two to be linked quite nicely (as in 2012).

I feel the mining machines themselves are good, even if the biggest machine seems to be a bucket-wheel excavator with a grinding-style wheel rather than buckets. They do somewhat dwarf the terrain provided though.

Overall, I think the 2012 series was better, but this is a good update and would probably complement them.

The 2012 wave was indeed a bit better, it had a better range of vehicles. This range is missing at least a bulldozer and some truck. The biggest machine looks like those things used for coal mining: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Continuous_miners?uselang=de#/media/File:BJD_Dresser_Heleminer_-_geograph.org.uk_-_768698.jpg

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

To address the swift dismissal of the latest City mining theme by saying '2012 mining was better', I present... exhibit B:

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Rock-Raiders

Boom 2018 Mining is better! :grin: Case closed. 

True. 2018's sets will be a good replacement, and certainly offers a different machine than what we haven't seen in City so far. I'm interested to see where else TLG goes with those rollercoaster parts, and if they're going to be a full replacement for the old straight-rail and curved/ramped narrow gauge tracks. I'm also wondering if that's the full lineup for the new mine; there seems to be suspiciously few sets, unless they're planning on expanding it later. (This is for H1, right?)

Thank you all very much for the pictures, links and info! :classic:

I must admit that I can't share the enthusiasm with the new Mining theme. If TLG had released a decent bucket wheel excavator I would have been interested in this theme. But imo the bucket wheel excavator looks unrealistic and blocky. Much more I would have liked to see a new construction site - we haven't seen one since 2019! :thumbdown:

Apart from the bigger vehicles being absolutely out of scale, the regular Mountain Police sets are nice. But since I already have some Forest Police sets, I'll pass. :classic:

The only really interesting Mountain Police set for me is the one with the money transfer in it. A really cool vehicle which I'll then try to buy seperately. :thumbup:

But in principle the only sets which attract my interest are the Great Vehicles. Apart from the for my taste heavily oversized Monster Truck they look brilliant! :wub:

Nevertheless I've to say that this seems to be for me over all a lame winter wave - esp. since it's the 60th anniversary! I hope that we at least will get a Town Plan style DC2 set in the beginning of 2018! (Although it doesn't seem so since there probably will be the modular Exclusive (first).) :sadnew:

I would have liked a construction theme better than a mining one, but i do want a HARBOUR theme soon! We got plenty of planes and trucks, only a few boats and no dock, crane or marina.

Which set contains the money transfer you are talking about Klaus? 

Great vehicles are interesting, especially the Forest Tractor and the Pick-up+Caravan.

I also hope we will get an exclusive set for the 60th LEGO System anniversary. But i am afraid TLG will only give us the Building Bigger Thinking sets...

Unfortunately Brickset has 60147 Fish Boat and 60149 4x4 w/ Catamaran from this year listed as a harbour sub-theme. That combined with the fact that we also got Coast Guard this year make me think that me be it for a while for any harbour theme.

I'm more excited for the beehive than I have been for any other new piece in quite some time. I really hope it stays around for a long time, and isn't retired once this theme leaves the shelves. I really hope it snugly fits over a minifig head, or a 1x1 round brick. 

Am I the only one thinking that the new Mine looks much more European than the last one. It is more of an underground based mine and the new style with white helmets and orange suit also looks more familiar to me.

I think that the new mine works much better as an add on to the 2012 mine, but is really not that good as a standalone set.  The actual mine is far too small compared to the vehicles.

We have images of the 'missing' Power Splitter set! The message won't let me post the pic, but google it!

Personally, the build looks fairly underwhelming, but I think those are a pair of exclusive new printed parts on the little 'mine' that could be way useful for MOCs.

Hmm. I think the parts are all stickered too, it seems unlikely they would introduce a print for that. 

At least the mining range seems more complete, now it has another vehicle. Again, it dwarfs the terrain, but never mind. It looks nice, and offers good playability too, with the hammer attachment. Noticeably similar to some of the volcano sets.

Also, spot the cheater wheel on the big tracked vehicle in the main set. It seems to be a common thing now in city sets, and I think it makes the sets more realistic as the tracks will actually move on any surface.

I

5 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Hmm. I think the parts are all stickered too, it seems unlikely they would introduce a print for that. 

At least the mining range seems more complete, now it has another vehicle. Again, it dwarfs the terrain, but never mind. It looks nice, and offers good playability too, with the hammer attachment. Noticeably similar to some of the volcano sets.

Also, spot the cheater wheel on the big tracked vehicle in the main set. It seems to be a common thing now in city sets, and I think it makes the sets more realistic as the tracks will actually move on any surface.

In my eyes the hammer doesn't offer much playability. The arm is to flimsy so it doesn't make much difference that the chisel part can be moved. I think it would be better if the rubberband would pull it down after being drawn back, like the pirate cannons.

On the other side, the generlal construction is just as boring.