Rick

2018 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Agree. Why does LEGO such specific moulds?

Its one thing if they are license specific minifigure parts, stuff dictated by the IP owner where they determine TLG's preexisting inventory just won't cut it (a.k.a. Star Wars). But when it comes to original properies, Lego seems to have gotten sloppier with minifigure accessories/headgear molds, not giving much consideration to their long term reusage potential. And then there are some new parts which do have promising potential, but it takes forever to see a new recolor of the part.

On 10/21/2017 at 12:06 PM, lightningtiger said:

Only the female cycle cop is any good in that set......really we need Super Hero style play features.....yeah, that is real life isn't it ?

And in the 60th year of our favourite brick they give us that police set and here is how I feel about it.........

The thing is, that we are not the target for TLG my friend. The target is to create demand for the kids, so they push their parents to buy Lego. If You think about it, TLG has no choice but to launch new police series over and over again. I think that even they are also tired of this but what can they do? I checked this topic on my son (6 years old). He has one generation old police sets - HQ, police truck, etc. Then when the new (current) generation appeared, he was immediately crazy about it. He STOPPED to play with old police line, he only wants to collect all the sets from current, new line. He still has old police truck which is even better, but now he wants only the new one! Once he will see the new mountain Police together with those games and videos on the net that will go together with those sets, he will want it immediately and ask me for it because it will be something new and quess what I will have to buy it.   TLG knows this pattern very well and therefore it forces those designers to create all kind of Police sets all over again and again.

I normally pick up quite a few Police sets as it's probably one of my favorite themes, but this just looks awful. That police vehicle seems to be almost 10 studs wide and absolutely dwarfs the police dirt bike! The body itself is 6, the fenders seem to add another 2 and then the wheels go beyond the fenders. If I were buying this set for a kid, I'd just pick them up some generic plastic police car that's about the same size and probably infinitely cheaper. If this set ends up being as high as $40 MSRP, I wouldn't even be surprised. Plus, do we really need 10+ pieces dedicated to launching a bolder? What happened to kids using their imagination?

4 hours ago, MACIEK8791 said:

The thing is, that we are not the target for TLG my friend. The target is to create demand for the kids, so they push their parents to buy Lego. If You think about it, TLG has no choice but to launch new police series over and over again. I think that even they are also tired of this but what can they do? I checked this topic on my son (6 years old). He has one generation old police sets - HQ, police truck, etc. Then when the new (current) generation appeared, he was immediately crazy about it. He STOPPED to play with old police line, he only wants to collect all the sets from current, new line. He still has old police truck which is even better, but now he wants only the new one! Once he will see the new mountain Police together with those games and videos on the net that will go together with those sets, he will want it immediately and ask me for it because it will be something new and quess what I will have to buy it.   TLG knows this pattern very well and therefore it forces those designers to create all kind of Police sets all over again and again.

That son of yours is crazy.

1 hour ago, Yeow said:

I normally pick up quite a few Police sets as it's probably one of my favorite themes, but this just looks awful. That police vehicle seems to be almost 10 studs wide and absolutely dwarfs the police dirt bike! The body itself is 6, the fenders seem to add another 2 and then the wheels go beyond the fenders. If I were buying this set for a kid, I'd just pick them up some generic plastic police car that's about the same size and probably infinitely cheaper. If this set ends up being as high as $40 MSRP, I wouldn't even be surprised. Plus, do we really need 10+ pieces dedicated to launching a bolder? What happened to kids using their imagination?

Video Games and the internet becoming more common over time happened.

On 10/18/2017 at 11:25 PM, Klaus-Dieter said:

You can only judge from preliminary character. But there the Mining theme looks pretty unspectacular and kiddish. The main color is yellow and the functional elements are red. The flagship set includes a black bear and some of the new rollercoaster elements (as a very small mining train). There's regrettably even less location than in the 2012 Mine. All sets include white glow in the dark spiders (the new one from the Jungle Exploration theme).

Do you remember what colors the rollercoaster track and cars were?

On 19.10.2017 at 7:25 AM, Klaus-Dieter said:

Very late this year, but better than never, here's some additional info:

The Jet does have wheels and many stickers. For a very small set it looks realky cool.

The heli in the Helicopter Transporter seems unluckily only to fit one pilot although the cockpit is that huge. The woman seems to have a new torso printing and has a cap with actually a new hairstyle on it.

The Forest Vehicle has unluckily no saws etc. on the vehicle. The tractor is only there for catching already lying down trees. Imo a shame.

The Winter Rescue Heli does regrettably have no hinge. But therefore there's a stretcher inside which is imo cool, too.

You can only judge from preliminary character. But there the Mining theme looks pretty unspectacular and kiddish. The main color is yellow and the functional elements are red. The flagship set includes a black bear and some of the new rollercoaster elements (as a very small mining train). There's regrettably even less location than in the 2012 Mine. All sets include white glow in the dark spiders (the new one from the Jungle Exploration theme).

So, nothing really appealing for 2018, in your mind?

What about new trains?

Brickset has posted some more 2018 pics, including one with a blackbear :wub:, beehive and a half-naked guy with paw print on his underwear :grin:

I've seen some people point out that the Pickup and Caravan set seems to include the family from Fun in the Park, with the baby grown up into an older kid (parents look identical)!

I definitely think the caravan might be the standout set, though I do love that underwear print as well!

Man, I'm liking the stunt plane more than I thought. Really like the shape of the fuselage, and since I'm on a sky pirate kick, I can definitely see me picking up at least one for messing around with the configuration.

Edited by K_Tiger

The Mountain Police vehicles are very underwhelming. They look like Junior sets with poor design execution.

It’s kind of a shame that Lego make quite so many helicopters and lorries, as those are actually pretty good (especially by City standards)!

As much as I don’t want another police helicopter, the new bear and Grizzly Man (for want of a better name) will be hard to resist...

I didn't think we'd ever get a figure like that bathing guy in a City set. He's seems like a figure we would otherwise see in a CMS. I sure hope he has dual molded legs, because otherwise... :distressed:

1 hour ago, K_Tiger said:

Man, I'm liking the stunt plane more than I thought. Really like the shape of the fuselage, and since I'm on a sky pirate kick, I can definitely see me picking up at least one for messing around with the configuration.

Aren't you talking about one of the 2018 Creator sets?

That Claas Xerion...:wub: (come on, you can't deny it's a city version of 42054!) Needs a proper crane modding onto the back though, and a swiveling cab...

The helicopter transporter is pretty nice, the truck might look good towing something else like a wind turbine. Nice to see they've gone for a longer-nosed design on the heli as well, although the chain with hook seems a bit unnecessary. It adds great play value nonetheless.

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Brickset has posted some more 2018 pics, including one with a blackbear :wub:, beehive and a half-naked guy with paw print on his underwear :grin:

The beehive & the bather are the standouts of that set. The beehive is a cool addition to the forest line. 

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I've seen some people point out that the Pickup and Caravan set seems to include the family from Fun in the Park, with the baby grown up into an older kid (parents look identical)!

I definitely think the caravan might be the standout set, though I do love that underwear print as well!

Oh wow, it is them, that’s fantastic! Continuing storyline...have they done that before?

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Aren't you talking about one of the 2018 Creator sets?

Yeah, I am. I thought the pic was in here, but I may have just posted in the wrong forum.

17 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Oh wow, it is them, that’s fantastic! Continuing storyline...have they done that before?

I think the minifigures here meant to be the same couple several years later

Image result for lego valentine set 2015Image result for lego thanksgiving set 2015

WHY DO ALL THE POLICE SETS SEEM TO HAVE NET LAUNCHERS.

I understand playability, but it seems like LEGO are just adding too much playability.

You’ve never heard of police using net launchers? Well, I live in Colorado, and the police in the mountains up here... don’t use them either.

I assume the Father in 60182 managed to win the jackpot in the lottery in order to own that Pickup & RV!:grin:
5th Wheeler RVs are not only very large but very expensive!

Regardless of your feelings towards City and the overwhelming number of police officers they seem to have, it can't be denied that this line always has an excellent RV or camper set.  For several years now, they have been just perfect.

Anyone have an idea of when we'll typically see retailer catalogue prelims or box art for City summer 2018?

Particularly keen to see Antarctica (with orca whale) that SvL confirmed.