Rick

2018 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Discuss rumours regarding 2018 City sets in this topic. No wish lists or "what I would like to see" please.

This is what we know so far:

On 7/8/2017 at 5:43 PM, Sir von Lego said:

We will get mining sets as well as great vehicles and mountain police in 2018.

Do mountain police in the States use horses and or dogs for transportation?

I know Canada has a riding force, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. To me it is most likely that the mountain police is from the States. Forrest and swamp where and it makes sense since they got a huge population of cops :tongue:

Not as a wishlist, but as a speculative discussion, I would like to ask anyone what do you plausibly think will be the next exploration subtheme for City this summer, if we definitely are expecting another such subtheme?

One question is: Will Moutain Police be winter or summer oriented? Or could there be both sets? E. g. one set with a crook escaping on a snowboard and followed by a policeman on a snowmobile. And another set with a police jeep hunting in a wood a crook on an ATV.

Plus another question is: Will the Mining theme be an opencast pit or a deep mining?

Hm, all in all I'm not that impressed wihen hearing about these themes since I counted on imo more appealing and fiiting ones! So I hope that the summer sets will be more exciting!

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Not as a wishlist, but as a speculative discussion, I would like to ask anyone what do you plausibly think will be the next exploration subtheme for City this summer, if we definitely are expecting another such subtheme?

Well, I'd say that the Mining theme will in some kind be the 2018 exploration theme - miners "explore" the earth with big machines in order to get gold etc. Honestly I don't see any other exploration theme in 2018 since as a realistic theme including many different vehicles and a lot of action only a desert (meaning Egypt) theme is imo possible. But this one would be - which concerns vehicles and locations - too similar to the Jungle one.

38 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Well, I'd say that the Mining theme will in some kind be the 2018 exploration theme - miners "explore" the earth with big machines in order to get gold etc. Honestly I don't see any other exploration theme in 2018 since as a realistic theme including many different vehicles and a lot of action only a desert (meaning Egypt) theme is imo possible. But this one would be - which concerns vehicles and locations - too similar to the Jungle one.

The thing is, @Sir von Lego is presumably speaking of winter 2018 sets, which would not include an exploration based subtheme as traditionally done so far. But having said that, perhaps Lego could have broken that four year old trend and this mining theme is 2018's exploration subtheme to be released instead for winter. While I'm assuming the theme will be alike or resemble 2012's, maybe this could be City's "down to earth" take on Power Miners, minus the rock monsters of course.

As far as other horizons for exploration subthemes go, would a moon base take on City's space subtheme be considered part of that portfolio?

12 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

1. A mountain theme, do not seem likely since the cops are there

2. A African safari theme, maybe too similar to jungle, but I would love it

3. A space theme, hopefully not

4. A dessert theme, not unlikely

5. A River theme, maybe too similar to other themes

6. Go back to arctic, hopefully to soon, but you never know when it comes to City

Could also be that they skip a year to give room for new trains or maybe a farm...

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

6. Go back to arctic, hopefully to soon, but you never know when it comes to City

Could also be that they skip a year to give room for new trains or maybe a farm...

I hope you mean a desert-theme, or do you really love ice-cream, pudding, whipped cream and so on a lot???:tongue:

On 11 juli 2017 at 8:17 AM, Roebuck said:

I know Canada has a riding force, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. To me it is most likely that the mountain police is from the States. Forrest and swamp where and it makes sense since they got a huge population of cops :tongue:

Why not Norwegian mountain police? You guys have a lot of mountains!

On 7/11/2017 at 2:17 AM, Roebuck said:

We do not have mountain police in the U.S.  We have park rangers, but they are mostly interested in safety and code enforcement (I think).  Anyhow, they are not a police force, they don't chase bad guys in the traditional Lego City sense.  When I lived in Oregon, I had a friend who was a police officer, and he patrolled some areas in the forest where there were lots of campers, etc.  But there was no mountain-specific police force.  

This is probably true everywhere, but in the U.S., you really only find police where there are lots of people.  Not in mountains, or swamps, etc.

9 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

I hope you mean a desert-theme, or do you really love ice-cream, pudding, whipped cream and so on a lot???:tongue:

Haha, yes I love it :grin: Must have been hungry when I wrote the post :tongue:

6 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

Why not Norwegian mountain police? You guys have a lot of mountains!

Yes, plenty of mountains, but not a police force up there. The closest are rescue units saving tourist in trouble and troll gamekeepers :wink:

4 hours ago, wooster said:

We do not have mountain police in the U.S.  We have park rangers, but they are mostly interested in safety and code enforcement (I think).  Anyhow, they are not a police force, they don't chase bad guys in the traditional Lego City sense.  When I lived in Oregon, I had a friend who was a police officer, and he patrolled some areas in the forest where there were lots of campers, etc.  But there was no mountain-specific police force.  

This is probably true everywhere, but in the U.S., you really only find police where there are lots of people.  Not in mountains, or swamps, etc.

Thanks for the info! Then I guess we have to wait and see what Lego imagine mountain police lock like :classic:

20 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

I would totally expect a summer exploration/scientific theme as these have been big sellers and provide trophy sets for kids Christmas gifts. There has been a summer theme like this since 2012 with only 2013 being the exception (Coast Guard and Cargo).  I expect we will get new trains in Summer 2018 but it is difficult to predict what an exploration theme/location might be, desert may be too similar to jungle and not give enough new vehicle options. I think it's to soon to go back to Arctic. An alternative option would be to revisit the farming sub-theme.

Have there been any firm rumors regarding great vehicles yet?

12 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Either a safari or desert/outback subtheme would both be very plausible possibilities for the future, a safari one being most welcomed by those wanting new animal molds. Now I myself would greatly want to see a moon base space theme, especially one with many throwbacks and homages to Classic Space. But such a theme might not even be considered an exploration subtheme, but merely a space one.

Given the pattern that has been observed over the years, most train fans are expecting a return to the train subtheme for summer 2018.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

16 hours ago, wooster said:

Huh? In the U.S. there are police everywhere, including rurual swamps and forests, which where the basis for previous City police themes. 

The thing with a desert subtheme is that the animals should be a threat to the explorers for more conflict, like the big cats and crocodile in the jungle theme or the polar bear in the arctic theme. But dont really know of such a big animal which would warrant new molds for a desert theme. The obvious dangerous desert animals are snakes and scorpions, but we have molds for those. Maybe coyotes or jackals.

A safari subtheme would be better in this regard, but it seems to close to this years jungle subtheme, so I would give it a few more years.

2 hours ago, Ardelon said:

The thing with a desert subtheme is that the animals should be a threat to the explorers for more conflict, like the big cats and crocodile in the jungle theme or the polar bear in the arctic theme. But dont really know of such a big animal which would warrant new molds for a desert theme. The obvious dangerous desert animals are snakes and scorpions, but we have molds for those. Maybe coyotes or jackals.

A safari subtheme would be better in this regard, but it seems to close to this years jungle subtheme, so I would give it a few more years.

Some lions and cheetahs live in the desert :wink: But if we get a puma for the mountain police and a male/female lion in the summer wave next year Lego is exceeding my expectations at least *huh* At least we can hope they do it :sweet:

1 hour ago, Sir von Lego said:

60177 Jet (Blue red, small vehicle)

60178 Rocketcar (orange, small vehicle)

60179 helicopter, skiing rescue (great vehicle)

60181 Forest vehicle (great vehicle)

60182 Pick-up and camper

60183 helicopter-Transport

60180 Monster Truck 

Thanks for the info!

There are 2 helicopters.... Should we expect more?

Rocketcar sounds like it is for drag racing, or is it like a flying car with rocket boosters?

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

That sounds..... meh

Thanks for the info!

Yup, sounds like every city wave since I've gotten into LEGO, which, admittedly, has only been two or three years.

Thank you very much for the further information, Sir von Lego! :classic:

I bet that Jet and Rocket Car are small (10 Euros) sets. I'm not that hyped about them. Why do we again get a Monster Truck?! We already had one in 2017! :thumbdown:

I'm surprised that there won't be a caravan but a Pickup With Camper set. I hope that the pickup will have a boot lid. All in all I'm curious about how this set will look like. A Heli Transporter might be a nice set, too. Hopefully it'll be a private helicopter (and no road surveillance or other themed one). :classic:

But the most excited I'm about the Forest Vehicle. Something like the wood transporter from 2014? And a Skiing Recue Heli sounds great and absolutely fitting to go with some of the Friends Ski Resort sets and even maybe some of the Mountain Police sets. :thumbup:

All in all, I think that this list is very ok - at least not that many racing vehicles like in 2017! There are some great sets to await; nevertheless I'm really disappointed about us still not getting a TV broadcast van, a post van and a pisten bully!

Edited by Klaus-Dieter
spelling mistake

Gee, they are really hitting the mark aren't they at Lego ?

I'm only interested in the pick up camper combo and forest vehicle, maybe the two copters but the others.......a total MEH !