Sign in to follow this  
Brickadier General

The Lego TV Commercial Archive

OK, so one of my fondest memories as a child was of course Lego. And when I watch TV, I would always get excited when I saw the Lego advertisements. Some of them were really good.

Anyway, I was searching YouTube recently, and they have a tone of commericals there, which was a pleasant surprise to me because I remember looking for some there about a year or two ago, and they didn't really have anything.

So I thought it would be a cool idea to make a thread featuring links to as many Lego TV commercials as I could find. And if you can find any more (and I know there are more out there), you are welcome to post a link here, whether they be official Lego ads or ads for companies featuring Lego. Also, I will try to organize things by decade, but if any of you know the specific date for any of these, let me know.

1950s

Town Plan ad

1970s

1980s

1980 Town: Main Street

1982 Stop Motion ad

1987 Lego Basic/Duplo (this one is hilarious, as it makes fun of clone brands)

1989 UK Castle: Dark Foresters

What would Thomas Edison have built?

Jack the Lego Maniac: Castle & Pirate

1989 UK: Technic

1990s

Froot Loops Lego Sweepstakes ad

1991 Blaktron II

1991 Nautica (Harbor theme)

1991 Pirates

1992 Pirates

1992 What would the Wright Brothers have built?

1993/1994? Lego Expo: "Wizard's World"

1994 Technic Stop-Motion ad

1994 Town

1995 Royal Knights (in Spanish)

Time twisters ad

Wild west ad

Spyrius ad

2000s

2001 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Lego Star Wars: Slave I

2005 Knights Kingdom "action figures"

2006 Spongebob

2007 Batman Video Game Teaser

2008 Indiana Jones Video Game Trailer

2007 Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga Trailer

"Lego: Making Kid's Dreams since 1936"

Lego Football/Soccer ad

Hospital ad featuring Lego

Norwegian? Political ad using Technic Figures

And I know this isn't an ad, but I thought it was hilarious:

. Seriously, just watch it. lol

Good job on these, Brickadier General, I am sure that their are several ads that still have not been mentioned though. It was interesting watching the old ads, some are great. *wub*

Edit: Your Ice planet 2002 link leads to the Nautica Lego advert by the way, aside from that everything seems fine and dandy!

Edited by Lord Of Pies

Great job, there are a few Batman set ads on youtube there if you wish to add them *sweet*

Batbrick Away! >:-)

I've never seen a lego commercial in finnish television.. It's funny see them afterwards :-D

Edit: Your Ice planet 2002 link leads to the Nautica Lego advert by the way, aside from that everything seems fine and dandy!

Thanks, I just fixed it, so you can see the real video now.

Great job, there are a few Batman set ads on youtube there if you wish to add them *sweet*

Batbrick Away! >:-)

I looked and found some of the promotional 3D animated videos. I didn't see any TV ads though.

I love the Blacktron canyon chase and the Technic one. There is another nice Technic commercial on linked on that page, apparently from 1994:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opayzmleFN4&feature=related

Thanks, I've added it to the list. It is very nice too. I love the ones with stop-motion animation.

Great work BG! *y*

Thank you soo much for digging up all those lovely ads and the work to complete this list!

Downloading ON!

These are fantastic. I haven't seen Lego ads on Irish TV other than Bionicle (and even that not recently).

Great work BG! *y*

Thank you soo much for digging up all those lovely ads and the work to complete this list!

Downloading ON!

You're welcome. I'll try to post more as I find them.

These are fantastic. I haven't seen Lego ads on Irish TV other than Bionicle (and even that not recently).

I haven't really seen them on U.S. TV either, but I think part of that is because I stopped watching Nickelodeon eons ago. No Lego ads on the History Channel or Discovery Channel, and that's about all I watch anymore. :-D

Ah, these ads carry the tradion of all comercials containing "Lego Maniac" being annoying.

Annoying and cheesy, yes. But so bad, it's funny.

Well, I found some more to add to the list above:

2005 Knights Kingdom "action figures"

1993/1994? Lego Expo: "Wizard's World"

1980 Town: Main Street

Norwegian? Political ad using Technic Figures

1995 Royal Knights (in Spanish)

Hospital ad featuring Lego

2001 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

"Lego: Making Kid's Dreams since 1936"

1994 Town

Edit:

Just stumbled on an old 1950s Town Plan commercial. *sweet*

Town Plan ad

Edited by Brickadier General

That's for the BG, memories of the times I spent as a kid watching the loop of Lego adverts in the local department store come flooding back to me.

Nickelodeon eons ago. No Lego ads on the History Channel or Discovery Channel, and that's about all I watch anymore. :-D

I have the same problem, though with the UC Millennium Falcon that might be the best sort of place to advertise, well apart from the students watching like me.

I haven't seen many Lego ads... but these take me back none the less! :-P The 8880 one makes me jealous though... :'-(

Thanks for posting every one and thanks especially to Brickadier General for organising this. *sweet*

I haven't seen many Lego ads... but these take me back none the less! :-P The 8880 one makes me jealous though... :'-(

Thanks for posting every one and thanks especially to Brickadier General for organising this. *sweet*

You are welcome Sinner. And I did see that video you posted and downloaded it. When I get some time (which has been in short supply the past few days) I'll see if I can post it to youtube.

I was suprised to see a Lego 'Let's Build' advertisment wedged between a Budweiser ad and a Nissan ad during the Miami-Pittsburgh college football game. I was going to post a link to the ad, but couldn't find on Youttube the specific one that I saw on TV. Apparently, Lego is getting a lot of good press on the 'Let's Build' ad campaign. I caught a glimps of some modular buildings in the ad that I saw.

Wow! That does seem like an unusual place to see a LEGO ad! Here is the Youtube link, but I could not get it to load yet.

Thanks for the notice….can't wait to see the ad!

Wow! The ad just ran from the link I posted. It is awesome! Congrats LEGO! Targeting young fathers is brilliant!!!

Lady..

Nope, not the same ad. I saw this one on YouTube. The one I saw was about thirty seconds and ended with views of a Lego town with modular buildings visible. I guess the ad I saw is so new that it hasn't made it to YouTube yet. The ad I saw started with a father/son building/playing with what looked like Technic builds. The ad ended with this panoramic fly over a Lego city where I could see the modular pet shop amongst a lot of other buildings.

Edited by Off the wall

Those aren't physical billboard adds anymore. They are more like website banner advertising. The billboards in the parks are simply green screens. The adds are added digitally by the broadcasters. Lego simply paid for x amount of ad time. They really had no choice over what popped up next to them. And it would not be the same in all markets.

Edit. Whoops I thought you meant the in camera advertising during the game. Not back to back commercials.

Edited by Faefrost

The ad is nicely done. It reminds me of how successful the Nintendo Wii was, because early on, they focused on a product that should bring family members together. Lego should be a family activity, and that is what that ad is about. Of course, the 'hidden' message is the sooner you get your kids hooked on Lego, the better off it is for TLG.

Of course, the 'hidden' message is the sooner you get your kids hooked on Lego, the better off it is for TLG.

And I'm ok with this :laugh: . I'd much rather my kids get hooked on Lego than Budweiser!