blackdeathgr

Oleon: Sign-up and Discussion, Era II

On 9/7/2022 at 9:46 AM, Professor Thaum said:

Is there someone still active among Oleon's board of admiralty ?

I'm on vacation right now, but can help with stuff early next week.

Major Jean Léon

Jean Léon enlisted into the Oleon military at the age of 18, he first worked on repairing ships for the navy. He then joined the Army and served for years. He is a well experienced soldier and has made it through the ranks and is now a Colonel. He fights right alongside his men in combat. IMG_5969.jpg

Edited by Sultan

@Sultan Welcome to Brethren of the Brick Seas. I like the shortened musket. This shows me that Jean Léon is a man with ideas.

Especially as a newcomer it is worth taking part in competitions, that take place here regularly. Very often there are freebuild licenses to win.

15 hours ago, Sultan said:

Colonel Jean Léon

Jean Léon enlisted into the Oleon military at the age of 18, he first worked on repairing ships for the navy. He then joined the Army and served for years. He is a well experienced soldier and has made it through the ranks and is now a Colonel. He fights right alongside his men in combat. IMG_5969.jpg

Welcome to BoBS and to our glorious faction! Have fun and help destroying the enemies of the Empire!

BTW, nice minifigure 

7 hours ago, Keymonus said:

Welcome to BoBS and to our glorious faction! Have fun and help destroying the enemies of the Empire!

BTW, nice minifigure 

Am I able to change my character’s story?

12 hours ago, evancelt said:

Welcome @Sultan! I look forward to seeing the first chapter in Leon's story

Thank you!

8 hours ago, NOD said:

@Sultan Welcome to Brethren of the Brick Seas. I like the shortened musket. This shows me that Jean Léon is a man with ideas.

Especially as a newcomer it is worth taking part in competitions, that take place here regularly. Very often there are freebuild licenses to win.

Thank you! This will be his trademark weapon.

47 minutes ago, Sultan said:

Am I able to change my character’s story?

Thank you!

Thank you! This will be his trademark weapon.

You can still change your character's story at this point. Unfortunately, you also have to change your military rank to Major.

On 7/9/2017 at 11:47 PM, blackdeathgr said:

Ranking System

If you create your sigfig you are - of course - free to give it any rank you wish. So if you want - for example - a Captain to sail your ship through the waters of New Terra - create a Captain. If you want a Major fighting off Oleon's enemies on the fields of battle - create a Major. However, we would ask you not to start out too high up in rank right away. There are certain official ranks that can be earned, and they bring in-game benefits and lots of prestige - not to mention the awe of your foes.

So fight for your own and Oleon's glory and rise through the ranks - do you have what it takes?

Army Ranks:

• Maréchal (Marshal)
  • Général d'Armée (Army General)
  • Général de Division (Division General)
  • Général de Régiment (Regiment General)
  • Colonel (Colonel)
  • Lieutenant Colonel (Lieutenant Colonel)

Naval Ranks:

• Grand-Amiral d'Oleon (Grand Admiral of Oleon)
  • Amiral (Admiral)
  • Vice-Amiral (Vice Admiral)
  • Contre-Amiral (Rear Admiral)
  • Chef d'Escadre (Commodore)
  • Capitaine de Vaisseau (Ship-of-the-Line Captain)

Rank Requirements and Benefits:

Promotions can be earned through military contributions, means through repeated and active participation in war campaigns, fleet actions, through acts of bravery, and - as a base requirement - you need to loyally follow orders.

For promotions to High Command - Général de Régiment respectively Contre-Amiral and higher - a noble title of at least Marquis is required - to make sure only the best of the best command Oleon's finest.

'But where's the beef?' - you may ask. Well, excelling in military actions is a profound way to boost your social standing in Oleon. It will lead to some shiny medals and ribbons, can contribute to your house's growing reputation, and might eventually get you His Majesty's attention - which can open doors you didn't even believe existed. And - who knows - maybe one day you'll end up commanding the unit you were once fighting alongside with - or determine the fate of a whole royal fleet in the vast waters of New Terra.

52300479212_4d99a72852_c.jpg

Signing up as Alexandre Duval, a newly commissioned Leuitenant of La Royale Navy from the Île de Tyche!

Here is his intro build, where you can find more about his backstory >

52527920480_63a80013dc_k.jpg

Alexandre Duval sits upon the rocky coast of Île de Tyche, watching ships as they glide through the crystal clear waters of the bay. A newly commissioned Leuitenant in La Royale Navy of Olean, Alexandre is a bright-eyed young lad whose father works as a stonemason for the Royal Governor of de Tyche.

He was the first of his family to gain commission in the Navy, which was unusual for the time as most officers were typically of noble background; Alexandre was not. He was fortunate however in that his father Guillaume Duval went way back with the Governor, as they had fought in the 49 Years War together.

The Governor's patronage started Alexandre as a midshipman under the command of legendary sea captain Simon Pascal, and his exemplary skills in navigation and military science propelled him up through the ranks before he was finally given his first command of La Souris, a 6-gun sloop. While not a large vessel, Duval is excited as to the adventures and potential tales of glory he will embark upon. He has yet to set eyes on his ship, but once his leave is over he will make the short journey from his hometown to th port at Fatu Hiva, where he will finally recieve his transport and await orders!

Edited by AlexanderDuval

29 minutes ago, AlexanderDuval said:

Signing up as Alexandre Duval

Hello and welcome! I'm gonna keep reading that as Dumas, but that's my issue, not yours. 

30 minutes ago, AlexanderDuval said:

Here is his intro build, where you can find more about his backstory

Are you able to paste the text of the intro story into this entry? I'd love to read it.

34 minutes ago, AlexanderDuval said:

Signing up as Alexandre Duval, a newly commissioned Leuitenant of La Royale Navy from the Île de Tyche

Welcome! Congrats on your fine taste in coats. Fine builds there. Someone will reach out to you and give you access to our faction thread, if not, pm me and I'll rattle some cages.

9 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

Hello and welcome! I'm gonna keep reading that as Dumas, but that's my issue, not yours. 

Are you able to paste the text of the intro story into this entry? I'd love to read it.

Yes of course, just added!

23 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

And I as "Robert" (Duvall...) :pir-grin:

Welcome to BoBS - good to see another Bluecoat! And lovely story - will be looking forward to following his exploits in the Brick Seas!

52700941938_1e7a594555.jpg

The familiy "de la Tour Forbie" from Oleon’s north-western province of Pontia is a typical example Oleon’s lower nobility: for generations they provided knights and officers to the ranks of the military in an unspectacular way, with a battalion or regimental commander here and there. While the name sounds fancy, it actually means that they controlled a small castle (or tower^^) located at a busy river crossing of river Chanon en route to Allondrelle. It goes without saying that that over the centuries - like other nobels - they grew fond of the idea of chivalry and live it today in various cavalry units. 

Louis de la Tour Forbie is the second son to Arnauld, Chevalier du Royaume, and therefore has little more to inherit than a name. His elder brother Henri will one day get that title, except for the case that his duty at the cuirassiers gets him killed. Well,who knows?

Like many members of this functional military class, Louis had been a cadet to Orleons royal army. Like many other second sons, he joined the ranks of the dragoons. While many in the society of Oleon consider this as some kind of setback, that constellation comes very close to the personal preferences of Louis: being a cuirassiers can bring you a looooot glory and fame, but that glory and fame quite often is only carved in stone... While the navy might have been another option, he hated the idea of two ships pounding each other until one sinks all hands aboard. The order might have been a choice… for people who don’t value the savoir vivre of Oleon: good food, wine, nice clothings. No, the dragoners were the perfect fit for his character: they are flexible like he is morally and socially , and they independently exploit opportunities, where they arise. Recon, attack and retreat are common and cleverness is your trump card.

As a cadet, he gained valuable insight on how to the rules of the Oleon game: how higher nobility behaves, how faith is signalled, the etiquette how to behave and who might be important for your personal advantage. He learned a lot and is a social chameleon: a trader from Eslandoa might hear joke about his family name where a tower stands somewhere in nowhere, while a lady from Oleon will hear a story about chivalry and great military tradition. 

Now the army time of Louis is leaning towards an end and he is contemplating what to do next. The best place for this decision is home, where he is occupied with administrating the family’s domain while his father is abroad. And then a letter arrives... 

Thanks again to @CapOnBOBS for forthecoming help and patient answering.  

Edited by TribunM

Welcome aboard. May I be the first to congratulate you on your excellent taste in factions! Good backstory there, looking forward to seeing your builds!

Edited by Jeff of Clubs