blackdeathgr

Oleon: Sign-up and Discussion, Era II

Welcome back, kb! And excellent build and story hook - I really like the dungeon you have created. It is has the right feel of ancient decay, while still looking inescapable!

Thanks, guys :purrr:

And it would seem I'm just in time to join some serious ääkschn in the eastern waters of New Terra :excited:

@Captain Dee Maybe this time I'll even make it in time for your dinner party - if that dude makes it out of that dungeon first, I guess... But he'll be very hungry :grin:

55 minutes ago, Bregir said:

looking inescapable!

I'm afraid it's gonna take more than one deus ex machina to get him back home :laugh:

Amazing build to announce your return :moar:

Very good stonework, details and the fall-back-in-the-wall-window :classic:

Hai hai,

After lurking for a good while, I've decided to stop lurking and join in! I've made a character based on an NPC in my D&D campaign, so it's a little different than anything I've seen here so far.
So I want to thank Bregir for letting me bounce some ideas on him to see if it were to fit within. And this is what I/we came up with in the end. Excuse the poor photography, I'm horrible at that stuff :P.
And yes, it's a rather long base story, but that's what you get when playing lots of D&D, and it's short for the usual things honestly... ^^

------

Émilie de la Mer.

This story, is one of a peculiar history. However peculiar or not, this is the story of Émilie, my story.
I am not just your ordinary girl, far from it, to be specific.

My father was just an every-day type of sailor aboard an Oleon merchant. When one day the ship he was on got sunk in a massive storm. Miraculously he was the sole survivor, drifting in the open seas, without any rescue in sight.
Praying to whomever he could think of asking if he could see land again, as he would give everything for that.

After many days at sea, he heard someone singing. He desperately started rowing with his hands, as fast as he could.
Upon arrival, he stumbled across a small island, with a beautiful woman standing on a pier.

Was this a sign of the prayers? Was it dumb luck? I honestly don't know, but I'm glad he survived.

Eventually he settled with the woman, whose name was Charlotte. Together they got a child, me. My mother passed away after childbirth, as is relatively common in these times... I've heard many loving stories about my mum. Perhaps I'll tell them some other time.

He had told me that one day he found an engraved skull on the beach, sparking his interest for magic. Particularly dark and forbidden magic. He never truly got anywhere with it, although one time something did happen...

Anyhow, his actions did spark my interest too. As a child, I went and helped with these rituals, I read all the books I could find and get my hands on with the small amount of money we had.

So, here comes the part where I explain why I'm not your 'typical' girl.
When I was about 15 or so, we were experimenting with an incantation and something went wrong. My father told me he saw a purple flash in my eyes as it happened, which always seemed odd to me as nothing else happened. Or so we thought...

After 'the accident' happened, through the years, I started to hear voices, not from people, but from certain animals and creatures. As if I could speak with them, communicate, in a way. At first I couldn't control what or who I heard. I thought I was going crazy at first. But a few years back I got into full control of this ability. And it helped me in a way, to no longer feel all by myself.

We stopped the magic attempts after the accident. But deep inside I knew I still wanted to try more, do more, experience more. I can communicate with animals, imagine the thinks I could still do! The longing is only growing stronger...

I tried to tell people about what I could, I went to temples, churches, libraries, anything.
But every time I was shunned away. The people are saying I'm traumatised by my fathers experiments and his sudden disappearance when I was 17. That I'm just another lonely and lost girl out of the many...

But they are wrong, and I'll show them eventually...!

Skipping forward to today, to a 23 year old me.
Despite living my life mostly on the dry, I try to stay touch with the unknown as much as I can. I regularily spend hours
upon hours in the darkness of the forrest, or at the rotten pier near where my house. Especially since this is locally known as the place where the Ferryman picks up
his passengers. As such, everyone but me avoids this place like the plague... But I find it interesting, as if I'm somehow drawn to this place...

A few days ago I was at the pier again and I came across a bottled letter.

It comes from someone who calls themself "The Emissary" and they claim to have known my dad, that they know what happened to me. Even that he has the means to achieve more but that I am the missing link and he needs me...

To be honest, I am not sure what I feel about this. But for some reason, I want to go on this adventure, take this chance... I feel like I should do this...

All he wants me to do, is respond to this letter, and throw the bottle back into the sea...

BOBS Sigfig

Edited by Thomas Waagenaar
Retconning some stuff, changing from third to first person perspective, expanding on some details

Really unique story! Well thought of intro, looking forward seeing more of you! Welcome to the Brick Seas!

Welcome on board Thomas Waagenaar, it's very nice having new forces in our faction!
Your writing is very good, and don't worry at all about writing too much or photography... you will shape your style with time, everyone started with a little build and a quite blurred photo yours, by the way, is completely on focus). It's also very nice reading an "on the border" story, not completely paranormal but with "strange" elements.

A little suggestion... don't try to understand all the rules, especially the ones of the economic game system, immediately... at first just start building and creating your story, and only in a second time enter all the game dynamics! However, if you are into D&D, complex rules may not be a great issue!

3 hours ago, Keymonus said:

Welcome on board Thomas Waagenaar, it's very nice having new forces in our faction!
Your writing is very good, and don't worry at all about writing too much or photography... you will shape your style with time, everyone started with a little build and a quite blurred photo yours, by the way, is completely on focus). It's also very nice reading an "on the border" story, not completely paranormal but with "strange" elements.

Haha, thanks! And yeah, that's what I've been going for ^^

And for the rules, well, I'll definitely just do free-builds for a while, who knows for the MRCA in the future. But so far they weren't too difficult compared to some of the D&D rules/wordings ;)

Nice intro story, nice rotten pier and nice fig.

You are likely to play a Warlock, who made a pact with The Lurker in the Deep ? (I actually play a warlock pacted with the Raven Queen in DD5) :pir-tongue:

2 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Nice intro story, nice rotten pier and nice fig.

You are likely to play a Warlock, who made a pact with The Lurker in the Deep ? (I actually play a warlock pacted with the Raven Queen in DD5) :pir-tongue:

Thanks! Glad you like the pier too, wanted to do more than just a simple picture of the fig ^^

She's actually just a simple homebrew human sorceress who can use spells of any class, but only water related ones :) 
No pact as of yet tho, because my PC's (I'm the DM) managed to convince her to join their party :laugh_hard:

@Thomas Waagenaar

Welcome aboard, you are in the right faction.:pir_laugh2:

Interesting introductory story and nice build, can't wait to see the rest of her advanture. 

You've been added to our faction pm, I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

7 hours ago, Bodi said:

@Thomas Waagenaar

Welcome aboard, you are in the right faction.

Likewise, welcome! Although I wonder what the inquisition would have to say about such a situation. Pacts with Davy Jones and the Ferryman, relations with mermaids? These are not the actions of a good devout Oleonder. 

@Thomas Waagenaar will you make a more "active" version of your SigFig? I'm concerned that this one won't be able to move her head or legs...

11 hours ago, Sir Kingston said:

-Snip-

11 hours ago, Bodi said:

-snip-

2 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

-snip-

Thanks guys! And yeah, I can't wait to slowly build her story further! :)

Regarding the active legs, I do have a plan to find more "battle ready" body/leg parts in the future (when I find a nice minifig to steal the body from :P). The dress is intended as a 'casual' dress to be worn at home/at land, when not expecting anything other
than slow movement/no action at all ^^

Welcome, @Thomas Waagenaar! That's a great introduction and interesting character. One of the more unique background stories around here, I think.

Welcome aboard @Thomas Waagenaar and what an interesting character/story!

Having played a bit of D&D in my younger age (dwarf fighter pew pew), I, too, think that you will find the economic system of the game quite simple/manageable. You can always ask anything at the "inner channel/PM" of our faction where you have been invited already) Still, money is secondary here while the storytelling is definitely something we tend to bring forth as means of shaping up BoBS universe and as a way to spark imagination and great builds.

Edited by blackdeathgr

After some confusion, a uniformed officer from the Corlander Royal Navy arrives at the door of the RNTC headquarters in Kings Port, asking for an official representative of King Philip I. With him, he carries a sealed letter, for which he insists on a signature.

HMS Greyhound, Westface, 620

To representatives of his Royal Highness, King Philip I,

In the course of our due diligence in establishing connections to the Terraversan nation, we have uncovered evidence of a foreign power funding and arming rebels fighting against Terraversan independence! Everything points to Nola Mar being the epicenter of this insurgence, with the settlement having risen in arms. One of our officers has landed there to investigate, but has not been heard from since, adding to our concern. Unfortunately, we are not currently in possession of suitable evidence to allow us to approach Terraversan authorities directly.

I cannot stress enough the strategic importance of a free and independent Terraversa, located as it is as the gatekeeper to Terra Nova. Corrington is highly concerned that a foreign, and potentially hostile, power is contesting the control of the island, and will be endeavouring to preserve the independence of Terraversa. It is our belief that such concerns should be shared by Oleon. With Terraversa in enemy hands, Halos and Terra Nova will effectively be cut off for all but the most daring captains, with the potential disastrous effects on our great nations.

I have dispatched a similar note to the Eslandian representatives and trust that our shared strategic interests will form a solid basis on which to cooperate to preserve Terraversan independence and neutrality, and hence free navigation of the Brick Seas. 

At your service,
Don Isaac Montoya
Consul, Corrington

28 minutes ago, Bregir said:

at the door of the RNTC headquarters

Ahhh, that's a shame. RNTC staff are all self-isolating and won't be back in the office for several months. They likely won't see this letter until it's too late. 

2 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Ahhh, that's a shame. RNTC staff are all self-isolating and won't be back in the office for several months. They likely won't see this letter until it's too late. 

:iamded_lol::roflmao:

3 hours ago, Bregir said:

After some confusion, a uniformed officer from the Corlander Royal Navy arrives at the door of the RNTC headquarters in Kings Port, asking for an official representative of King Philip I. With him, he carries a sealed letter, for which he insists on a signature.

In the course of our due diligence in establishing connections to the Terraversan nation, we have uncovered evidence of a foreign power funding and arming rebels fighting against Terraversan independence! Everything points to Nola Mar being the epicenter of this insurgence, with the settlement having risen in arms. One of our officers has landed there to investigate, but has not been heard from since, adding to our concern. Unfortunately, we are not currently in possession of suitable evidence to allow us to approach Terraversan authorities directly.

I cannot stress enough the strategic importance of a free and independent Terraversa, located as it is as the gatekeeper to Terra Nova. Corrington is highly concerned that a foreign, and potentially hostile, power is contesting the control of the island, and will be endeavouring to preserve the independence of Terraversa. It is our belief that such concerns should be shared by Oleon. With Terraversa in enemy hands, Halos and Terra Nova will effectively be cut off for all but the most daring captains, with the potential disastrous effects on our great nations.

I have dispatched a similar note to the Eslandian representatives and trust that our shared strategic interests will form a solid basis on which to cooperate to preserve Terraversan independence and neutrality, and hence free navigation of the Brick Seas. 

At your service,
Don Isaac Montoya
Consul, Corrington

15 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

How very convenient :pir-wink:

It begs the question, though - too late for who...

On 5/27/2020 at 9:01 AM, Bregir said:

At your service,
Don Isaac Montoya
Consul, Corrington

Dear Consul Montoya,

On behalf of His Most Sacred Majesty, we thank you for bringing this troubling matter to our attention. We view Terraversa with much the same importance as you, and it is reassuring to know your government is seeking to develop a consensus on this issue. We are no strangers to troubles in Terraversa with our own officials and property suffering much ridicule and abuse in Kings Port, but your accusations clearly go far beyond that.

Our operations in Terraversa are of a mercantile nature, and we lack the developed intelligence network your operatives have been so diligent in establishing. As such, bearing this in mind, I fear we have little to add to your allegations at this time, but that is not to say we are uninterested in this matter. Rather, allow us to put before you the opportunity to meet with officials of the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon in Lavalette. It is our sincere desire you should accept this offer and use this opportunity to present your evidence and proposed actions to resolve the current situation.

Vive le Roi!

Henri Hollande
Agent de la Compagnie Royale de la Nouvelle Terre 

@Captain Genaro

Monsieur Hollande,

I regret to inform you that I am not at liberty to leave Terraversa at the current state of affairs, nor in possession of a suitable representative to despatch for Lavalette, which, as you are no doubt aware, is many days of sail from where.

You shall be the first to know, should my situation change. For now, any discussions will have to be conducted on Terraversan soil. I hope you will understand this imperative.

At your service,
Don Isaac Montoya
Consul, Corrington