blackdeathgr

Oleon: Sign-up and Discussion, Era II

1 hour ago, The Sarge said:

I'm spooling back up to start building again, and was wondering what I need to do to go about deep-sixing my old character and starting fresh (still in Oleon, of course!).  It's been about two years since I did anything BoBs related and want to have a clean break between the old and new.

Welcome back! I'd recommend just posting a new character introduction then starting again. If you like you can post a story explaining what happened to your original sigfig or just leave them quietly in the background for future use... up to you. For EGS purposes your account is linked to your EB username and not your character name, so it shouldn't be an issue.

43 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

Welcome back! I'd recommend just posting a new character introduction then starting again. If you like you can post a story explaining what happened to your original sigfig or just leave them quietly in the background for future use... up to you. For EGS purposes your account is linked to your EB username and not your character name, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Sounds good, would it be possible to donate the assets aquired under my old character to Oleon?  I would like to start completely fresh if possible (0 DB/0 PIP, no propeties etc).  As far as I know there should be no debts.

8 minutes ago, The Sarge said:

Sounds good, would it be possible to donate the assets aquired under my old character to Oleon?  I would like to start completely fresh if possible (0 DB/0 PIP, no propeties etc).  As far as I know there should be no debts.

I think we can handle this. @Legostone, can you help? :)

Emile Rousseau — Captain — Preservation and Acquisition of Cultural and Religious Entities 

48409906352_94f59b90ce_c.jpgEmile Rousseau by Django Fett, on Flickr

Background 

Emile Rousseau was temporarily staying in a nearly 25 year-old, non-contiguos Oleon outpost. It was his quiet retreat after a near 10 year military service as apart of the royal infantry. He had tried staying in Lavalette but found it too distracting for his writing. Emile had always shown a penchant for articulating the ways in which cultural artifacts should be protected and learned from. Emile had been long developing a dissertation (without a formal education) while serving as a rank-and-file in the royal infantry. While his more scholarly tendencies were lost on many fellow privates, astute NCO's with greater means would help Emile develop ideas and understanding through supplying him with subsequent literature. It was this slow process that landed Emile at the finalization of his collected essays which he had only, finally, got published in the spring in Oleon proper, with Emile all the way ensconced in his ruins. 

Emile felt slightly anxious about his published work. It was not that Emile was worried about reception or glory. It was that he only needed to know it was circulating, he trusted the intellectual elites and clergy members would be at the very least pushed to change the investment of time and money into preserving cultural entities. Emile hoped his essays would have such an effect, his writing was extensive and the fruit of 12 years of hard work, 10 of which during several military campaigns. 

Presently 

It was during another sleepy afternoon that found Emile cooking his dinner on the shore of the island ruins. It had been several months now since his essays had circulated the upper echelon of Oleon, which Emile was not aware of yet.

48409764696_d8fc0e8dce_c.jpgEmile Cooking Dinner by Django Fett, on Flickr

All had been quiet on the small island. That was until — halfway through cooking his halibut, Emile spotted a correspondence dispatch, undoubtedly from a larger ship beyond sight, or perhaps a neighboring settlement. Emile waited for them to come ashore. No doubt it was news of his essays, Emile thought. But then... why was it a military correspondence?

48409908262_ba37169d33_c.jpgEmile at the Lookout by Django Fett, on Flickr

The boat came ashore and the lead correspondence officer approached Emile to confirm his identity. Upon confirmation he was handed a letter with a stamp that was clearly Oleon high council but he had never seen anything like it before, not unusual for an lower-class infantry veteran. 

48409906847_f3725da128_c.jpgEmile Being Recalled for Service by Django Fett, on Flickr

Very, good Mr. Rousseau! This is for you then. We will dock here overnight in-case travel is necessitated. 

Emile was skeptical, but still excited to see if the letter would make reference to his writings being a success. 

Thank you. You and your men can rally around the fire a meal is on, please do not wait for me. Emile was eager to read in private. 

Emile opened the letter carefully but quickly nonetheless. 

In short, the letter read:

Mr. Rousseau,

Your essays grasped the interest of some of the more important nobility Oleon has to offer. So much so, that they saw fit to circulate your writings among certain members of the High Council. The state has seen fit to request your servitude once again and re-conscript you. You will not be returning to the infantry of course but you are to enter as a Captain of a new company as per your needs. You are to rendezvous back in Oleon to form a small group of advisors that will head-up the sort of initiative we feel you have made so apparently necessary to procure and protect the interests of Oleon in the realm of art, history and religion. More details that deal in more direct terms can be expected once you arrive in Oleon, some details can only be spoken for security sake. 

Thank You.

Emile took a moment to collect his thoughts

My papers have a captive audience. I must now take command of the very things I have written of. 

Extra 

Birds eye view of the island:

Spoiler

Fascinating story and excellent little build to go along with it! Emile will have some interesting adventures ahead of him!

6 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

@Django Fett Really interesting story! Emile's adventurers sound like they have some exciting times ahead. If Abbé François can offer any help, he will happily do so. 

Thank you Ross! Yes I have a feeling they will intersect! Hopefully without any stake burnings ;) Yes possibly we could crossover at some point!

6 hours ago, Bregir said:

Fascinating story and excellent little build to go along with it! Emile will have some interesting adventures ahead of him!

Thank you! I think he will too :)

19 hours ago, Django Fett said:

Hopefully without any stake burnings

I promise nothing. But I look forward to seeing what you get up to. 

@Django Fett I like the character and his profession sounds interesting. I also like the MOC. It’s small yet effective at showing what is going on. Welcome to Oleon.

48815879701_123d91810b_z.jpgBoBS Sigfig

Guillaume Sebire - Garde du pavillon in La Royale

b. 599 AE

Guillaume is the youngest son of Pascal Sebire, a decorated cavalry veteran, and Marie-Noël Sebire nee Dumaresq, born in the city of Trigny, Corban, Oleon.  He now serves in La Royale as a senior learning officer aboard the gunboat Marteau, stationed in Quilbignon, but word has it they may soon be deployed to eastern waters...

8 hours ago, Darnok said:

Nice introduction, great to have you around! Good to see another bluecoat. :pir-classic:

Thanks, I'm hoping to stay more active this time!  Let's beat those lobsters!

Nice re-introduction and excellent minifig! Where does the torso come from?

And, even more importantly, welcome back!

1 hour ago, Keymonus said:

Nice re-introduction and excellent minifig! Where does the torso come from?

And, even more importantly, welcome back!

Thank you!  The torso is Pippin's from Lord of the Rings.

His Most Holy Majesty, King Philip the First, by the Grace of the Gods, King of Oleon and Guelph, Protector of New Terra, the True Defender of the Faith and so forth, hereby directs all Royal Representatives and Servants of the Crown to inform the High Council of any persons who through their acts and deed are worthy of official recognition by Oleon’s Sacred Crown. Any such recognition shall include an exact report of the heroic and noble deeds and what medal or title the deed is worthy of.

Dated the 5th Day of the 6th Month of the 4th Year of His Reign. 

Vive Le Roi!

31310403400_509f2f8fa7.jpg        

It's time for more medals and titles and ranks to be handed out. Just as before, players can nominate their own or other players' characters. If your character already has a noble title or medal, you are welcome to request additional and/or higher ones. All we ask for is an IC letter stating the character and explaining why they are worthy of such an award (citing your progress in BOBS and contributions to Oleon would likely help). No accompanying builds are required, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. Except as stated in the medals and titles and ranks threads, there are no minimum requirements to apply for a promotion so there's really no reason not to apply. 

@Captain Genaro I believe that Abbé may be eligible for the Royal Order of Saint Arltrees. However, given that the order would hardly admit someone who is currently incarcerated in debtor's prison, you will receive my application on his release. I am curious, though; does the Order have equivalent ranks for ordained clergy? I don't imagine you would admit the Abbé as a Chevalier...

Yeah, nothing like handing out royal titles to convicted criminals - the Oleon way! :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Darnok

40 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Yeah, nothing like handing out royal titles to convicted criminals - the Oleon way! :pir_laugh2:

But he isn't a convicted criminal? He's  just bankrupt. 

Just now, Ross Fisher said:

But he isn't a convicted criminal? He's  just bankrupt. 

Isn't being jailed for bankruptcy essentially "convicted for crimes"? I also remember some burnign of people... :pir_tong2:

What is being discussed is debtor's prison, a convenient excuse used to jail someone wanted put away for some other reason. Totally consistent with the era, and a government largely beholden to an organized religion.

4 hours ago, Darnok said:

Isn't being jailed for bankruptcy essentially "convicted for crimes"? 

Nope, it's just a way to put pressure on someone to pay up. I believe it was written into contracts instead of collateral. It's completely different to the law. 

4 hours ago, Darnok said:

I also remember some burnign of people... 

Legitimate burning, proved to be appropriate. 

20 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

@Captain Genaro I believe that Abbé may be eligible for the Royal Order of Saint Arltrees. However, given that the order would hardly admit someone who is currently incarcerated in debtor's prison, you will receive my application on his release. I am curious, though; does the Order have equivalent ranks for ordained clergy? I don't imagine you would admit the Abbé as a Chevalier...

There's no deadline so feel free to apply when it best fits your story. 

As for the Order (being the Order of Saint Arltress) does not have equivalent ranks for clergy, but members of the clergy are welcome to apply. The Chevalier title applies to both civilians and soldiers, and I believe there are some historical examples of religious figures being knighted throughout history. 

If you're asking about the Order of the Faith, the answer is, again, no. Since this has been of little interest to players we have not fleshed it out yet. Phred is working on something, and we can try to expedite this process so religious characters have an official hierarchy.