blackdeathgr

Oleon: Sign-up and Discussion, Era II

25 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

If you want the maximum of attention and available ressources (that is: time of those who build), then: yes, for sure.

That will never happen. Each faction will continue to create new projects as soon as old ones are complete so if Oleon waited until there were no ongoing projects, they would be waiting for a very long time. It is also a very good thing to have many projects going on at once as Spud said to keep interest in BoBS.

What we have here, I believe, is a player wishing to engage in all possible challenges, but feeling overwhelmed with the potential workload that would entail. Self-imposed pressures are often the hardest to let go. I validate @Drunknok's feelings without sharing them. It will be okay.

Just now, gedren_y said:

What we have here, I believe, is a player wishing to engage in all possible challenges, but feeling overwhelmed with the potential workload that would entail. Self-imposed pressures are often the hardest to let go. I validate @Drunknok's feelings without sharing them. It will be okay.

I feel understood. Thank you.

@Drunknok If you feel you can't participate in a faction collab without reducing your standards, that's a very honorable reason to pass on one. You can be sure that Oleon/RNTC will offer more collab opportunities in the future - and we'd love for you to participate :classic:

@Drunknok When we started BoBS, I felt the same as I wanted to participate in each and every challenge, incentive etc etc. Sometimes I could manage that, sometimes I couldn't. And sometimes mind that each faction's "events" can be completed in due time, even after a deadline. We merely present them to draw attention and let people have options. For example, if a faction announces that it needs lighthouses, that means they will usually need them even when the deadline expires. Still, some people don't like lighthouses so they can totally skip that event. But simultaneously the faction also needs ships/shoemakers etc, so they announce another initiative etc etc. That way we want to offer options to the players and/or give ideas of what they can build. Of course, some minor agreements are being made behind the scenes between faction leaders when the initiatives are faction-wide so that we can possibly achieve the maximum participation possible.

Finally, apart from all those faction-wide or (just faction) initiatives, we have Challenges. And since Challenges define each Era we are playing (and usually new territories and good stuff are involved), it is advisable that you participate in each one (again if you have the time ofc). BoBS is an open building RPG, with totally not mandatory "events" and you can participate whenever you have the time. Else burnout comes :wink:

Hiya guys! I'm trying to get a small MOC finished and then take some decent photos of it. I have some new soldiers for Oleon I wanted to show in the meantime. I was waiting to use them in a MOC, but I just love 'em to much to withhold them from the public eye for so long :grin: . Inspired (again) by @Ayrlego's troops, I present to you: the Oleander Dragoon.
oleon_dragoons.jpg

The picture is kind of bad, but I made it tonight under low light, so all in all it's okay considering the circumstances. Some fluff from my own: "The Oleonder Dragoons are an infamous cavalry force, known for their deeds both on and next to the battlefield. They are for most part made up from the youngest sons of the lower nobility or otherwise wealthy mercantile families. These youngsters have little claim to the sometimes vast riches of their families and as such, they search their fame and fortune elsewhere. Whereas members of the higher classes often enlist in the regular heavy cavalry or infantry officer corps, these men find they lust for adventure satiated in the ranks of the Dragoons. Somewhere in between cavalry and infantry, Dragoons are a versatile unit, righteously feared on the battlefield. Due to their versatile nature, Dragoons are also oft employed as a police force or occupation troop. Many a savage tale besmudging the reputation of the Dragoons stems from their sometimes abysmal and tyranical behaviour towards the subjected populace."

Like often, I also made a concept artwork first of these guys, since I didn't have some parts and I wanted to get an idea beforehand of how they'd like before ordering the missing parts.

Spoiler

oleon_dragoons_sketch.jpg

I hope to use these guys in a real MOC soon! In the meantime, feel free to build your own Dragoons :classic: . They're obviously mounted, but I didn't add a horse in the photo or sketch. I have more stuff and background in mind for these guys. I wanted to post them on my flickr and add them next to the Légionnaires, but I forgot my password :sceptic: . Stay tuned for (hopefully) more from my side. I hope I can finish my (small, non-military) MOC maybe next week or so.

10 minutes ago, Khorne said:

the Oleander Dragoon.

Great figs! I love the use of the bobby helmet with the chinstrap head and the legs with the black boots. Heck, everything. It all goes together so well! I'm glad you didn't wait to share! :thumbup:

On 11/11/2017 at 10:38 AM, Kolonialbeamter said:

Peppercorn

I'm in!

9 hours ago, Khorne said:

Inspired (again) by @Ayrlego's troops, I present to you: the Oleander Dragoon.

Awesome looking Dragoons Khorne! But I do think you got my troops confused with @Lord Buckethead's Royal Engineers!

13 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Awesome looking Dragoons Khorne! But I do think you got my troops confused with @Lord Buckethead's Royal Engineers!

To  be honest, I had never seen Lord Buckethead's Royal Engineers before! There is indeed a striking similarity, but it wasn't my intention. I just searched for helmets most closely resembling something Dragoon-ish and the bobby helmet was the most pleasing option. I was actually truly inspired by your hussars and dragoons from your flickr photostream. I wanted to make an Oleander version, with some obvious differences of course :classic:.

4 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

@Khorne Awesomeness in minifig form (as usual)! I really like the legs on black boots on various minifigs after all...

Yeah, I choose the legs with the black boots because they portray riding boots the best and thus differentiate these guys visually from the infantry minfigs.

L'Arsenal Royal d'Astrapi - The Royal Arsenal of Astrapi

His Majesty is concerned that the speed as which Oleon's colonies in New Terra develop does not reflect their rapidly growing importance for the realm. Especially Astrapi is turning into a port of great value with growing convoy traffic each month. However, infrastructure and economic capacities are not keeping up, limiting not only our merchants profits but even more importantly our military presence in the region as well. To correct this situation, His Majesty has ordered the Royal Office of the Colonies to issue a development plan for Oleon's overseas possessions.

The first project to be realized is the establishment of a Royal Arsenal in Astrapi.

Details:

• this is a building collab aiming at the creation of a royal sized factory to be owned by Oleon (see the Royal Mint and Château Richemont for previous Oleon collabs)
  • the collab is to be completed by the end of the year
  • the build itself will encompass a number of MOCs to match the necessary footprint of 10.000 studs
  • this program is open to all Oleanders 
  • builders can take inspiration from suggested parts below, or - after consultation with OL leadership - build what they seem fits best
  • suggested parts: (cannon/anchor) foundry, carriage factory, barracks, officer academy, storage, barracks, ammunition factory, armory, powder mill, parade ground, (entrance) gate house
  • the arsenal will be expanded in the future, naval installations will follow
  • for more background on a real life arsenal, see for example the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich, GB
  • as a reward for participation in this building program, all participants will be paid twice the value of what their contribution would be worth as a license (small, medium, large properties)
  • in addition, all participants that take part in two royal building programs will be dubbed Knight of the Royal Order of Saint Arltrees. Past participation (Royal Mint, Château Richemont) does count.
  • it should go without notice that contributing to Oleon's growth and fame is every of His Majesty's loyal subjects' duty!
  • Note that royal properties are held to high standards. As such, if you plan on joining this collab, be prepared to put forth your best effort. But don't worry, building advice will of course be provided in the process.

38277319546_7a5241a29c_o.png

Berart Mazan

Duc de Boussac, Secrétaire d’État des Colonies, Grand Officier de l’Ordre Royal de Saint-Arltrees

Granoleon, Nov. 17th, 617AE

Vive le Roi!

I sign up for the arsenal collab, is it all right if I build a military academy?

If I can get the pieces in (money is always a problem.) I can do the gatehouse

The RNTC is pleased to announce that its Royal Peppercorn Factory collab is now open to all factions. Anyone wishing to participate and reap the rewards should speak up. There is limited space for additional builders, and once we have what we need, no additional builders will be accepted. 

What is Oleon's position on natives an religion. Do we follow the French path of trying to ally or are we like the Spainards and conqueroring and converting. Etc etc

It was before my time with BotBS, but I have read some ugly things about Oleons treatment of natives. Oleon is pretty dogmatic on religion, so I would guess the Spaniards would look like schoolgirls compared to them.

But that is just an outsiders opinion.

1 hour ago, merc said:

What is Oleon's position on natives an religion. Do we follow the French path of trying to ally or are we like the Spainards and conqueroring and converting. Etc etc

Oleon does not have a public policy on dealing with natives. That said, the settlement of Fatu Hiva shows Oleon and natives living and working together side-by-side. In it's description, the RNTC notes that it will use native forces, similar to the sepoys in India, though these have not yet been depicted. In Dragonstone, Brandon Stark stated that Oleon and the natives were initially violent towards each other, but ultimately reached an alliance with each other. Some other factions have depicted Oleon as being brutal towards natives, but I write this off as artistic license. 

7 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

Oleon does not have a public policy on dealing with natives. That said, the settlement of Fatu Hiva shows Oleon and natives living and working together side-by-side. In it's description, the RNTC notes that it will use native forces, similar to the sepoys in India, though these have not yet been depicted. In Dragonstone, Brandon Stark stated that Oleon and the natives were initially violent towards each other, but ultimately reached an alliance with each other. Some other factions have depicted Oleon as being brutal towards natives, but I write this off as artistic license. 

Haha I completely forgot I was part of that alliance with Brandon Stark :p

Well, as it seems that the fellow has vanished, I guess those alliances are in the freezer as well... @Faladrin?

1 hour ago, Maxim I said:

Haha I completely forgot I was part of that alliance with Brandon Stark :p

Well, as it seems that the fellow has vanished, I guess those alliances are in the freezer as well... @Faladrin?

Yes we worked on an alliance to better the relationship between oleon and the Ténotclaxcans but as Brandon Stark is not there anymore the development of this part of the story involving this tribe, oleon and a strange plant monters' invasion has been paused. :laugh:

12 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Yes we worked on an alliance to better the relationship between oleon and the Ténotclaxcans but as Brandon Stark is not there anymore the development of this part of the story involving this tribe, oleon and a strange plant monters' invasion has been paused. :laugh:

You can always evolve that side story by yourself Faladrin (provided that you don't start a Third World War) :wink:. Everybody is equal in the eyes of the gods of our forefathers.