Well, I was amazed by this GBC, when I first saw it last year, and decided to try to reverse engineer it.

Thanks to a few good pictures from the creator: ykuramata05, I started work on it...

That was over 6 months ago.. and I got stumped on a few bits.. so it got put aside

Finally had a clear workbench the other week, so decided to get back to it, and managed to finish it off.. funnily enough - 2 other builders -  @alanburchill and @Courbet had decided to tackle it at the same time!

I will say it is 95% true to the original creation.. I only needed to change a few minor things - I added a Clutch gear in, just before the pot-stirrer, as I had a couple of times where balls jammed in there

I also believe that I don't have something right, as the 'shutter' rising up and down the picker column, hits the output chute from the ball input.. it touches it slightly.. but so far, doesn't seem to affect the machine too much

it seems to be quite reliable too - 1 ball dropped every few hundred, maybe? and sometimes, it doesn't pick up a ball.. but the next arm around will get it, and any build-up of balls will be cleared very quickly

the input bin doesn't seem to like a full dump of 30 balls.. but is fine with 10-20 in there

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

I also took this opportunity to have a good play with Bricklink's Stud.io editor.. and have enjoyed using it.. 

800x600.jpg

Therefore, there is now a digital file of this GBC: 

Stud.io Format:  http://bricksafe.com/files/rbeckett/gbc-stuff/eggprocessgbc/GBC Egg Process Machine.io

LDraw: (export from Stud.io - hope it's OK!) http://bricksafe.com/files/rbeckett/gbc-stuff/eggprocessgbc/GBC Egg Process Machine.ldr

@Courbet has generously offered to create instructions for this - so hopefully he will add to this thread, when done! :)

Stud.io reports that this model uses 635 bricks, and apparently will cost $75USD to build! 

I should probably buy a few Angry Birds Lego sets to decorate it!!! :D

Edited by RohanBeckett

Amazing mechanism! And great work reconstructing it too!

42 minutes ago, RohanBeckett said:

LDraw: (export from Stud.io - hope it's OK!) 

Yes, it's fine. :wink:

43 minutes ago, RohanBeckett said:

@Courbet has generously offered to create instructions for this - so hopefully he will add to this thread, when done! :)

Great, that will be fun to build!

Thanks for sharing this cool GBC. I will look to collect the parts to build it with my daughter during the summer holidays.

I came here from @RohanBeckett's YouTube clip, and just registered to Eurobricks. I watched @Courbet's clip too.

I can't believe my module is reconstructed by other guys and a digital file was made. (I thought it only happens to Akiyuki's modules...)

Thank you so much, and I hope you all enjoy the module!

However, I have to say that I'm now thinking about making version 2 to make it more reliable.

When I brought this module to JapanBrickFest2017 Fun Weekend, I noticed that this module is not reliable enough.  

It worked very well for the first day,   but  second day I had to maintain every few hours.  The rotating disk jammed, gears tend to come out... 

I also got some advice from other GBC guys about input bin size and less friction structure for the 'shutter'.

When I build version 2, I will try to make digital file at the same time.

Although I like the current design because it is very compact and simple. Version 2 will be much bigger and a little more complicated.

Thank you again for all of you especially @RohanBeckett, @Courbet and @alanburchill.

9 minutes ago, Yasuhiko Kuramata said:

I'm now thinking about making version 2 to make it more reliable.

Great! I hope you can make it more reliable (and bigger/better/cooler :grin:)

Also, welcome to Eurobricks!

Welcome Yashuhiko!

Thanks for the comments.. it was a fun challenge to build, and recreate it.

I definitely understand that this was your 'version 1', and can see where improvements could be done... looking forward to version 2

Having a strong, reliable input hopper, that feeds well, and never jams, makes all the difference to a good GBC

Also: @mocbuild101 - you crazy... you've only been a member since April, and you've matched my post count... and I've been here for 8 years!! :)

1 hour ago, RohanBeckett said:

Also: @mocbuild101 - you crazy... you've only been a member since April, and you've matched my post count... and I've been here for 8 years!! :)

Off topic,

Some members are very active, and I like to also. But your posts may be more concise and therefore, need less posts.

That egg process machine is awesome @Yasuhiko Kuramata!

Edited by Aventador2004

13 hours ago, Yasuhiko Kuramata said:

Although I like the current design because it is very compact and simple. Version 2 will be much bigger and a little more complicated.

I also think that you should have a look at the hoppers for one of akiyuki's modules, they work flawlessly and never jam.

also to improve structural strength you should make it in a sturdy frame so it doesn't flex when you pick it up. just have a look at akiyukis designs and you can see that he puts them in a frame so that they can stay together when being moved around.

welcome to eurobricks  

3 hours ago, RohanBeckett said:

I'm a bit surprised myself, but like @Aventador2004 said - it depends how active you are. I visit Eurobricks every day, so it works out to be only 6 posts per day - which is not that many.

Also, @Aventador2004 has only been on Eurobricks 1 month longer than me, and he has 300+ more posts! *huh*

And yes, this is off topic, so lets go back! :laugh:

Hi everyone,

I have finished my work on Yasuhiko Kuramata's Egg Process Machine GBC (Version 1). It is indeed a very nice small-size (650 parts) GBC module with a very clever clamp mechanism.

Link to instructions:

http://bricksafe.com/files/Courbet/gbc-project/Y_Kuramata_Egg_Process_Machine_GBC.pdf

Link to parts list:

http://bricksafe.com/files/Courbet/gbc-project/Egg_Process_Machine_GBC_Parts_List.bsx

Once the build is finished, you must synchronize the rotor and the shutter. When the shutter is low, an arm of the rotor must be right above it. Since the rotor
can be slightly lifted for uncoupling, this is something that takes 2 seconds to do!

I have tested it in a small GBC loop of 5 modules (see the video below) and it behaved flawlessly.

Laurent

I really like this GBC module! I have been looking for a good, small module to build. I really like the fact that it uses more Studless parts than studded ones. I have lots of Studless parts, but very few studded Technic parts. I would like to build a GBC from my PoH (Parts on Hand) without buying many preferably no parts.

Thanks for making instructions available.

Andy D

Excellent machine, teamwork and instructions another GBC to build & show for folks around the world to enjoy. ??⚽️

Thank you all for your great work. I was thinking about replicating this cool module by myself, but you are way to fast for me ;-) Hats off to the original designer as well! Very ingenious idea and execution.:thumbup:

@Courbet, Thank you for the great instruction!!

I hope many people enjoy this module through the instruction.

I put a video clip which I got an idea from. It is a Japanese clip, but you can see the similar mechanisms are used to clamp and break eggs.

On 2017/7/14 at 0:41 PM, 9v system said:

I also think that you should have a look at the hoppers for one of akiyuki's modules, they work flawlessly and never jam.

also to improve structural strength you should make it in a sturdy frame so it doesn't flex when you pick it up. just have a look at akiyukis designs and you can see that he puts them in a frame so that they can stay together when being moved around.

welcome to eurobricks  

Yes, I have a lot to learn. Actually this is my second GBC module.  Thank you for your advice!

Hello everyone, I wanted to thank the designer of this brilliant module, and everyone who participated in the notice, I have been waiting for since I saw the first videos.

I post you photos of my version that I did in the akyuki style, what do you think?

89f4c0a3a7d20678012f215489e262e1.jpgb0122236c30d9c1afd4eb41cda918512.jpg35ad6a8b7a0ec4aa5efaaeb739f448b1.jpg

Glad people are enjoying it...   makes it all worthwhile, the time it takes to reverse engineer!

That Akiyuki style one looks just as I'd imagine!  very nice!

6 hours ago, yoyo08190 said:

Hello everyone, I wanted to thank the designer of this brilliant module, and everyone who participated in the notice, I have been waiting for since I saw the first videos.

I post you photos of my version that I did in the akyuki style, what do you think?

fantastic this is what I was going to do but you did the work for me. are you going to make instructions for this version?

Thank you comment, I am glad that my version you like.

On the other hand I am not at all able to make a notice, and I do not have the time too, by cons if you want to do the notice I can send you more pictures.

On 7/14/2017 at 5:41 AM, 9v system said:

Currently working on these issues.

Using @Berthil's input from Rainbow Wave, Akuyuki's frame and using technic bricks and plates to make the rotating axle sturdier.

1280x694.jpg

Also small changes on the ball pickup.

800x497.jpg800x504.jpg

Edited by dunes

@dunes I hope you get the input timed properly, it's looking very good so far with the black and red.
It's a very nice module to look at so worth while the efforts.

Edited by Berthil

I frame-ified mine too.. I'll take some pictures this weekend... it ran perfectly during Brickvention in January.

I have stuck with the rotating lifter arm.. after making some geometry changes to the hopper, it works a lot better

Almost finished with my version. Only waiting for some red colored parts from Bricklink.

800x442.jpg

New central attachment. all arms on one level.

800x575.jpg

30 balls on input bin.