Kaanere

Discussion: LEGO Architecture 2018

On 6/26/2018 at 9:01 PM, Johnny1360 said:

I would like to see the seven ancient wonders of the world. 

I’d love to see more of the types of sets that they did early on. Pivotal pieces in modern architecture. Bauhaus, Barcelona Pavillion, another FLW Home, etc. I also think that they skipped some solid landmarks that could be great builds at a microscale: The Forum in Rome, The Colisseum, Pantheon, Parthenon, Pont Du Garde, Monte Saint Michelle, etc.

Personally, I don’t like the skyline sets as much as I like well detailed builds. I’d rather get a $100 Forum, a $80 Colisseum and a $60 pantheon than have a dumbed down version of all three at an average to low price point.

Edited by thorin

I hear you @thorin but sadly from a commercial perspective, the older sets (particularly those with low recognition outside of architect circles, like FallingWater and Villa Savoye), are gone the way of the dodo. Skylines are here to stay for the time being supplemented with larger builds like the Guggenheim, Liberty etc.

6 hours ago, Lucarex said:

I hear you @thorin but sadly from a commercial perspective, the older sets (particularly those with low recognition outside of architect circles, like FallingWater and Villa Savoye), are gone the way of the dodo. Skylines are here to stay for the time being supplemented with larger builds like the Guggenheim, Liberty etc.

Yeah. I get that. But I can still dream! :innocent2:

I am glad that they continue to do a US Capitol, Statue of Liberty, flatiron, Guggenheim, etc. But I wish we got more European ones...

Dont get me wrong, I’m American, but I’d like some diversity.

I could see them doing the Colisseum at some point. I hope.

On 8/11/2018 at 2:08 PM, Lucarex said:

...even if I ignore the dubious architectural value of a city as insipid and soulless as Las Vegas...

@Lucarex I think Las Vegas is a bit more complex than that, although it is hard to argue that it is not a well-rounded place.  As a place that is constantly re-inventing itself to follow the latest trends, styles, and fashion, Las Vegas has played a role in amplifying various movements in Arts and Architecture. 

There is an honesty in a street lined with billboards and neon - we don't care about you, we just want to sell you stuff.  The Las Vegas of the early 1970's was captured in Denise Scott Brown's 'Learnings from Las Vegas', a seminal text which played a role in breaking architecture away from increasingly boring Modernist designs; creating Postmodernism.  While Postmodernism is remembered for some of the most garish examples, some of the buildings are quite beautiful.  It made room for experimental styles like the works of Frank Gehry or Daniel Libeskind, and also set the stage for revisiting sincere classical buildings in the 90's and 2000's (especially on university campuses.)

Today, Las Vegas continues to be appalling and delightful at the same time.  There are some really interesting projects which were recently finished or underway, including CRYSTALS at Citycenter (Daniel Libeskind), and a new Arena project underway.

I can't imagine living in Las Vegas, but it's fun to visit for a day or two to see the architecture, take in a show, and see how the city continues to redefine itself.

---tom

On 8/9/2018 at 5:42 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

So according to some leaker over on Instagram, our next skyline sets for 2019 will be 21043 San Francisco and 21044 Paris, with the former listed at a MSRP of $29.99.

This is amazing!! I literally just made a San Francisco Skyline a couple of weeks ago. It has the Salesforce Tower, 555 California Street, the Transamerica Pyramid, Coit Tower, the Golden Gate Bridge, and Alcatraz Island. I can't wait to see what landmarks Lego chooses and how they make them. Words cannot describe my excitement. It has 550 pieces and a scale of 1:1900. Do you think that this will look similar to the final official product?

San Francisco 1

Edited by TYLER_w
Fixed the Salesforce Tower

On 8/10/2018 at 9:11 PM, XAxles said:

San Francisco will be something to behold. Paris...Eiffel, Arc, Louvre, what else?

For Paris, I'm guessing:

Eiffel Tower
Arc d'Triomphe
The Louvre
La Defense Grand Arch
Notre Dame Cathederal
Tour Montparnasse

San Francisco:

Transamerica Pyramid
Golden Gate Bridge
A row of iconic houses

What else?

Hi I'm French and as a Parisian I help you for the set of Lego Paris 21044.

I am listing the monuments that could be in this box.

Eiffel tower for sure.

The arc de triomphe in the champs-élysées,

Notre de dâme de Paris, the cathédral of Paris.

An other religious place, the sacré coeur, A byzantine basilica.

The Invalides, the place were all the soldat of Napoléon are, And Napoléon himself.

The musuem of The Louvres, and the Museum of Orsay.

The center Pompidou.

"La cité des sciences et de l'industrie" a modern building for sciences and cinema...

The Paris city, "la défense" with sky-grappers, and "The grande arche".

The trocadéro the building located in front of the eiffel tower. 

The little Statue of the Liberty. (11,5 metters)

the only sky grapper IN Paris, the tour Montparnasse.

And finally the oldest bridge in Paris, "Le pont neuf".

All that will be in the set is necessarily here. :) Bye ! And sorry for my English :/

I don't think Paris will have all of those landmarks. Just 6 or so will be fine.

You can replace Notre Dame Cathedral with Centre Pompidou.

Edited by Lord David

Here is my take on the Paris skyline. i built it for a rebrick.it contest. It features Tour Montparnasse, the Eiffel Tower, Seine, Louvre with Pyramid, Arc de Triumph and Sacre Coer. I‘m really excited for the real Set!

MOC Lego Architecture Skyline Paris, France

@julesvincent I found this link that (maybe?) proves the what @dimaks13 said...

https://www.brickshop.nl/lego/lego-architecture/lego-21043-san-francisco.html#index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.filter&f_theme=8

I actually made a Lego skyline set of my hometown Arcade, New York. It took a few months to finalize it and created a booklet soon after. I'm very proud of the final product, and if anyone says this model is too plain, I made it plain on purpose. (Looking at you @henrysunset after calling Luxor plain (jk but still))

Landmarks include; Kent/Blue Seal Nutrition, JA. Yansick Lumber Water Tower, AGWAY Building, Little Red Caboose, Arcade Historical Society, Arcade and Attica Railroad Junction, Truss Bridge over Clear Creek, and First Baptist Church of Arcade

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J_RRRZjXXNJMJaWWXkcdI5egyWu75QiO/view?usp=sharing

Arcade Vector sm.jpg

Edited by 4eva

The Set descriptions for San Francisco and Paris have been found a German Website:

San Francisco (21043) - 565 parts - 49.99 EUR

It will include the "Painted Ladies", 555 California Street, Transamerica Pyramid, Salesforce Tower, Coit Tower, Fort Point, Golden Gate and Alcatraz Island. The Baseplate will be 4x34 studs.

Paris (21044) - 694 parts - 49,99 EUR

It will include Arc de Triomphe, Champs-Elysées, Tour Montparnasse, Grand Palais, Eiffel Tower and Louvre. The Baseplate will be 4x32 studs.

I guess we will see Pictures very soon, since they should be released mid January. I'm a bit surprised about the same price as there is a difference of 130 parts.

@julesvincent

That's great to hear! I'm a bit skeptical about SF because the base is so small; my model has a much larger base and the same exact number of parts. Can't wait for some pictures!!

@TYLER_w

Well, your part number is pretty much spot on! ;) And your base is just 2 studs longer. I guess the website doesn't mention the areas that in front or back of the base. Really like your design and am also very excited for how the actual builds are gonna be!

Managed to find the full descriptions on Alternate.de

San Francisco (https://www.alternate.de/html/product/1491061)

Capture the sumptuous diversity of San Francisco's architecture with the stunning San Francisco set from the LEGO Architecture Skyline collection. The set brings together the famous Painted Ladies, 555 California Street, the Transamerica Pyramid, the Salesforce Tower, the Coit Tower, Fort Point, the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz Island in an inspiring skyline. Each LEGO model provides a unique and rewarding experience. This is ensured by the faithful coloring and scale reproduction. While a blue-plate base plate represents the Golden Gate Strait, the San Francisco name badge completes this detailed replica of one of the liveliest cities in the world - a magnificent home or office exhibit.

Paris (https://www.alternate.de/LEGO/21044-Architecture-Paris-Konstruktionsspielzeug/html/product/1491070?)

Capture the grandeur of Parisian architecture with this magnificent LEGO Architecture Skyline Set "Paris". This model features the iconic Arc de Triomphe, the Champs-Elysées, the Tour Montparnasse, the Grand Palais, the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre. Each LEGO model provides a unique and rewarding experience. This is ensured by the faithful coloring and scale reproduction. Lawn and tree areas as well as a decorative Paris name badge round off the overall picture of this detailed replica of the most romantic city in the world - this exhibition object for the home or the office is simply "très magnifique".

Guess it is time to make an Architecture 2019 thread...thanks for posting the descriptions.  Still kind of bummed they didn't do a special 10th anniversary Architecture set for 2018.

Are there any thoughts on which sets will retire soon?

I'm just building up my collection and wondering which ones are likely to disappear soon!

3 hours ago, brickmeistro said:

Are there any thoughts on which sets will retire soon?

I'm just building up my collection and wondering which ones are likely to disappear soon!

I’d guess Eiffel first, with Sydney, London, NYC, and Chicago second.