Kaanere

Discussion: LEGO Architecture 2018

48 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

That Statue of Liberty might be the first Architecture set I buy. Looking at it, it feels like it's around 35 cm tall. It's a perfect step between Architecture and Landmarks themes.

Price will decide. Architecture sets are always too expensive for the finished model.

The Chinese websites seem to indicate the statue will be around $100. 

The preliminary photos that are floating around look really interesting, definitely different from the typical architecture sets.

4 hours ago, jluck said:

The preliminary photos that are floating around look really interesting, definitely different from the typical architecture sets.

Yeah. The Great Wall looks good, but he hills look a bit weird. I’m surprised though, how good the Statue of Liberty looks. The only thing I would change are the colour scheme. It looks like the statue is Green instead of Sand Green. And the right arm is too straight, but I guess it’s hard to do anything more complicated in this scale

Edited by ddavid

The news came that the Las Vegas set will be redesigned to remove the Mandalay Bay Hotel from the skyline. This means that the set will come up in September and not in a month, as we previously thought. I would like to see which building will replace this Hotel. My guess would be the castle-like Excalibur. 

Edited by ddavid

On 31/01/2018 at 1:31 AM, Herky said:

St Basil's Cathedral would be great as would Notre Dame if they ever do want to get into the great architecture of churches.  

TLG has strict policy on "buildings of religious significance". They don't go there.

Just saw the prelim new Architecture set pics...

Great Wall looks interesting enough, lovely execution and will go on my "very likely purchase" list.

The SOL much less so, probably because it's such a ubiquitous symbol without any "architectural" context or fit within the existing line. Lazy "tourist" choice when there's so many others out there crying out for recreation in brick form. Likewise I wasn't a fan of Buck Palace.

Edited by Lucarex

15 hours ago, ddavid said:

The news came that the Las Vegas set will be redesigned to remove the Mandalay Bay Hotel from the skyline. This means that the set will come up in September and not in a month, as we previously thought. I would like to see which building will replace this Hotel. My guess would be the castle-like Excalibur. 

They should just can it permanently at this point. Las Vegas as an Architecture set was always an odd and uninspired choice.

Can't believe they haven't yet done San Francisco or Stockholm. 

3 hours ago, Lucarex said:

TLG has strict policy on "buildings of religious significance". They don't go there.

They don't have a strict policy and they do go there if it makes sense to. For example, St Marks in the Venice Architecture set.

They do have a strict policy on religious submissions through the Ideas site though, religious submissions get rejected.

Technically the Taj Mahal is a Muslim tomb, so that is religious.  Granted it is not in the architecture line, but just an example of TLG breaking their own rule if they do have a policy.

1 hour ago, Herky said:

Technically the Taj Mahal is a Muslim tomb, so that is religious.  Granted it is not in the architecture line, but just an example of TLG breaking their own rule if they do have a policy.

Tomb/resting place is very different to a temple/place of worship. 

I cited that example myself on the Taj reissue thread (that it was actually a Hindu temple), although the Indian court ruling concluded otherwise.

6 hours ago, MAB said:

They don't have a strict policy and they do go there if it makes sense to. For example, St Marks in the Venice Architecture set.

They do have a strict policy on religious submissions through the Ideas site though, religious submissions get rejected.

I stand corrected about that, have the set myself and never made the connection.

Yes, it's iconic of the skyline (so "makes sense" as you say), but it's very much an exception to the Ideas rule that I believe applies across the board.

Edited by Lucarex

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

Yes, it's iconic of the skyline (so "makes sense" as you say), but it's very much an exception to the Ideas rule that I believe applies across the board.

They have chosen not to make religious buildings or sets since their early church sets, but they have no (public) policy that they will never make religious buildings or sets. The rules on the ideas site apply only to ideas. However, they bend their brand values to suit themselves. For example, they break the brand value about modern warfare / vehicles when it comes to some licenses. The no religious buildings brand value when it comes to St Marks. The no national war memorials brand value when it comes to the Arc du Triomphe. The no human scale weapons brand values, with all the scaled up toy weapons such as swords that they sell around themes like Castle and Nexo Knights.

3 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Tomb/resting place is very different to a temple/place of worship. 

Depends on the religion, Taj is a UNESCO World Heritage site and I agree with you in my perspective, but others may not.  It's not a huge deal, but I still think that many religious buildings out there are very cool architecture wise no matter if they are tied to religion or not.  The Hagia Sophia is another one that would be cool, although it is similar to Taj.  Even without the religious buildings, I am going to agree with you on the SOL.  Monument/sculpture IMO when other buildings are better offerings.  They did a survey/poll way back when on this line and the submissions alone would have set up the sets for a good long while but I think they only did 1 out of all of the submissions.  

The planned re-design of the Las Vegas set is an interesting topic to me.  I prepared an article looking at the photo which was released, and trying to make some educated guesses about which building will replace it, and how this will impact the overall design for the set.

21038_cover-600x315.jpg

What will replace the Mandalay Bay?

My best guess is that they move things around a bit and add the Bellagio or MGM Grand, but we'll see.  There's also the question of whether they remove the Wynn hotel in light of allegations against Steve Wynn.  I doubt it will be removed, but we'll see.

For the whole read, along with a longer list of possible buildings, visit http://brickarchitect.com/2018/21038-las-vegas-skyline-preview-and-redesign/

---tom

Based on what they have on the strip, I would like to see Mandalay removed, and an older more nostalgic hotel in the line.  Wynn doesn't need to be there either, makes me wonder how they picked what they did.  MGM would be cool, but that hotel was way neater before they changed up the entrance a long while back.  Caesar's is worthy IMO, Excalibur is right there on the corner, but to me, the best piece they could put on there would be Hoover Dam.  Now how you get that on there I am not sure, but that is just as worthy as any hotel.  Just not likely to be a choice though.

I can hardly find any information about Lego Architecture setnumber 21040. It seems to be Robertson House by Max Pritchard Architects. Can someone tell me more about this set?

4 hours ago, Angie said:

I can hardly find any information about Lego Architecture setnumber 21040. It seems to be Robertson House by Max Pritchard Architects. Can someone tell me more about this set?

I have never heard of this set. There is the Robie House from several years back, but they never produced the Robertson House. Where are you getting this info?

There has to be a set with the number 21040, between Shanghai and the Chinese Wall. So I googled ‘lego architecture 21040’. Only one thing comes up: a YouTube video titled LEGO Architecture Robertson House 21040 set review, dated March 6 2018. With a picture and some spoken comments. I googled some more and found James Robertson House by Casey Brown Architecture and Robertson House by Max Pritchard Gunner Architects. But maybe it’s all nonsense. 

Edited by Angie

20 hours ago, Angie said:

There has to be a set with the number 21040, between Shanghai and the Chinese Wall. 

Not saying you're wrong. 

Just in the past there's no 21025. 

They have skipped numbers before 

Not only that, but the video(s) he’s referencing are bs and show a micro scale piece of trash only available at Leister Station. Fakery.

Kevin, you must be right about the YouTube video. I read too much into it. Steve, 21025 was going to be Eames House, but for some reason Lego decided not to make it. I don’t think Lego just skips a setnumber. There must be some explanation. Too bad Lego is not inclined to answer questions about this kind of things...

6 hours ago, Angie said:

Kevin, you must be right about the YouTube video. I read too much into it. Steve, 21025 was going to be Eames House, but for some reason Lego decided not to make it. I don’t think Lego just skips a setnumber. There must be some explanation. Too bad Lego is not inclined to answer questions about this kind of things...

21015 was supposed to be eames house. But was changed to leaning tower of Pisa. Most we ever got about 21025 was off their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/LEGOArchitecture/posts/1721708328059851

21041 Great Wall of China & 21042 Statue of Liberty have been revealed on Brickset (link and link).

Though I like that 2 (or more) Great Wall sets can be connected to each other, I'm much more impressed with the Statue of Liberty as a whole. 21042 is definitely going on my shopping list, that's for sure.

Nice to see better pictures.  Wall is quite boring, however SoL looks pretty great for being so scaled down.

The play value on the Great Wall is quite nice, opens up lots of options. Statue looks swell, so brilliant, if a bit more vertical than I last thought of it.

Man, that Status of Liberty is a delight for Sand Green junkies! I mean, look at all those newly recolored cut-corner 1×2 bow parts, and the Nexo shield in Sand Green too? :moar:

How difficult is it to get Lego House from Billund? It's missing in my collection and expensive online - £120+

I can fly into Billund from fairly near my house for about £50 same day return - will it be cheaper to do this and buy it out there and is there anything Lego worth visiting there if I were to do this?

Also, not what I want to do, but what is availability like, i.e. could I buy 3 and sell a couple to help fund the expense of going out there?

7 hours ago, Fairsy said:

How difficult is it to get Lego House from Billund? It's missing in my collection and expensive online - £120+

I can fly into Billund from fairly near my house for about £50 same day return - will it be cheaper to do this and buy it out there and is there anything Lego worth visiting there if I were to do this?

Also, not what I want to do, but what is availability like, i.e. could I buy 3 and sell a couple to help fund the expense of going out there?

Friend went recently and said they were about £55 equivalent. So you’re breaking even, unless you factor in the trip itself (although a “day” isn’t long enough IMO).

As for resale, there’s a lot available online so I wouldn’t bank on making a significant profit on 2 spare sets.