The photo is no longer available. But I already know it would look stunning!

19 hours ago, Mjazzw7 said:

The photo is no longer available. But I already know it would look stunning!

Weird.  It worked for me... I had that happen once before though. I've updated the post.  Try it again.

I still couldn't see it but I went on Flickr and I could see the 3-4 images. They look really nice! 

Mr. Grimes (who had recently found his way onto the ship as it’s cook) frowned in the warm lamp light as he hunched over a crate of fresh fruit he’d purchased earlier that day from one of the many vendors who lined the docks of the island's small port.

Mr Horton (who had been making his way through the darkness in the direction of the ship’s head) entered the room and noticed a sour look on Grimes's face. Concerned, he stopped to address the beleaguered man. 

“What seems to be troubling you Mr. Grimes?” Horton said with an appreciable amount of interest.

“Apples.” Grimes muttered sourly and gestured to the crate. 

“Yes…” Horton spoke with some hesitation. “Those are apples… A whole bushel of them in fact.”

Grimes spun swiftly towards Horton and seized him by the shoulders. The metal hook (which stood in for where his left hand once was) dug painfully into Horton’s flesh.

“Apples and Pears!” Grimes shuttered, a look of deep concern in his eyes. “Apples, pears, apples and pears!”

Horton stifled a yelp of pain and tried patiently to reassure the troubled man. “Yes Grimes, you are correct. Upon closer inspection the crate contains both apples and pears…”

With a huff Grimes released a woefully confused Horton and turned back to stare deep into the crate.  He seemed to be considering something of great import with quite a bit of effort, and for quite a bit of time. After a long while he sighed heavily, pulled himself upright and straightened his shirt.

“Apples and pears.” Grimes exhaled as he lifted the crate to his waist and marched off into the darkness towards the galley.

Mr. Horton watched as Grimes disappear into the shadows. Horton shook his head in wonder and walked off in the opposite direction.

Apples-and-Pears

This little section of the ship sits just aft of the guns and just forward of the mess. 

Edited by RocketSeason

:laugh: I'm wondering what the good cook has against those particular fruits! :grin:  Another great shot, mate - love the light you've got on the lantern, and all these detail pics of the ship have me really looking forward to more!  Keep it up! :pir-sweet:

If you're a Rats, just choose it between Bastion (currently the biggest Rats pied-à-terre) or Rassilon on Nest of Thieves, Charlatan's Bay capital of Inferno Pordejon, Haven or Moray's Den on Isla del Diablo ... There is also the famous port of Tortuga on Turtle Island but the colony is too young to fit well for such a big ship (IMHO)

The smell of bone soup hung heavy in the air as it swirled slowly around the interior of the old ship.  The salty odor of tortoise shell and fish “parts” combined with that of earthy potatoes and sour cabbage to assault the nose of anyone who ventured too close to the galley.

Perhaps in an attempt to reassure the senses of his shipmates, a simple song rose from the galley sung slowly and gruffly by Mr. Grimes, the ship’s cook:

Apples and pears, pears and apples.
Apples and pears.
Apples and pears, pears and apples.
Apples and apples and pears.

If one were to wander into the galley, one would find Mr. Grimes moving deftly through the crowded space stoking the fires of the stove while examining pots and pans filled with all manner of unknowable fare.  In a corner, salted fish hung from hooks to dry while a pig stood below chewing on whatever Grimes found too far gone to include with the soup.

Apples and Pears, Pears and Apples.
Apples and Apples and Pears.

A deft eye would sadly note that not an apple nor a single pear could be found among the ingredients in the galley on this night.

The Galley

---------------------------------------
Can't believe it's been a year since my last Bricks and Bones post!  The ship is still slowly coming together. I've moved to a new house and have had to take a break to work on getting my old house ready to place on the market, but hopefully that will all be over soon and I can get back to work on finishing this MOC up.

Edited by RocketSeason

He's back!  Another great atmospheric shot, and I'm excited to see that you're keeping this series and ship going!  Looking forward to more :excited:

Smit stretched his aching body as he lifted the bottle to his lips. 

"Ah, Dinner." he thought to himself as he stepped to the railing to stare off at the setting sun.

After a moment he raised the bottle to block the sun and splashed the rum around inside. Rays of sunlight bounced around the dark caramel colored glass and danced along with the swirling liquid.

After a long day of hard work it was indeed, a well deserved dinner.

Dinner

--------------------------------------

Not quite done with the ratlines just yet. It is turning out to be pretty difficult to angle everything nicely and to get each rope to look nice and taught.  I'll get it eventually, but it is an interesting challenge.

I also wanted to include a capstan in my ship model but I just had no room to put it anywhere.  Eventually I decided that a crazy capstan embedded in the mainmast (as seen on the Black Pearl) was probably the best way to go.  Looks pretty good to me!

Edited by RocketSeason

A couple more great atmospheric shots!  Looking forward to more of these!

I've enjoyed reading through this...  Never knew it existed but would love to see the whole ship

Thanks for the kind words gang!  I've got many, many more photos in the hopper as the ship is getting closer to completion. @Roadmonkeytj You should have some full-ship shots soon-ish.

@Fraunces, I am using Photoshop for the photo editing.  I use it to color correct the image, add some artificial lighting and lens flare effects, but I mostly use it to paint out dust specks.  Doesn't matter how clean I think I keep these models, they are a dust magnet!

I just ordered some micro LED lights with a wide variety of color settings so Hopefully I can improve the lighting in these scenes even more.  I'm excited to give it a try!

1 hour ago, RocketSeason said:

@Fraunces, I am using Photoshop for the photo editing.  I use it to color correct the image, add some artificial lighting and lens flare effects, but I mostly use it to paint out dust specks. 

The faux lighting on the "Smit" pic emulating sunlight was impressive.  The fact you have pulled it off using Photoshop makes me lament my lack of skill. :)

4 hours ago, RocketSeason said:

I am using Photoshop  . . . . . I just ordered some micro LED lights with a wide variety of color settings so Hopefully I can improve the lighting in these scenes even more.  I'm excited to give it a try!

The photo effects are well done 

By chance where are you getting your lights from? 

A cool evening breeze whistled through the rigging of the old Galleon as Captain Hawes crossed the deck and lifted himself onto the Foc’sle. The distinctive, irregular sound of his wooden leg finding it’s purchase on aged planking echoed across the quieted ship.

“Soon.” He said to himself as he stood at the bow and gazed out into the dark void of the great sea.

As if sensing his presence or perhaps responding to a silent command from some unseen force, dark clouds shifted and the pale, haunting glow of moonlight poured across the surface of the bay and bathed Captain Hawes and his ship.

In response, the ship groaned. It was a wholly unfamiliar sound that was not quite the bending and twisting of wooden beams, but seemed almost a vocalization from within the wood itself.

Captain Hawes turned to peer down the length of the ship as an unnatural light began the seep from between splintered cracks. It’s sick green glow oozed out and onto the deck and dripped down from the stays.

The Captain felt a deep churning from within himself and he fought for control of his stomach. Soon however, the sick, heavy feeling subsided and was replaced with a warmth that felt almost like that of a comforting embrace.

The Captain smiled and turned back towards the sea.

An Unnatural Light

----------------------------

I purchased a set of micro LED lights and had a bit of fun last night. Hopefully they will help improve my photography.

Edited by RocketSeason

On 7/24/2017 at 3:38 PM, RocketSeason said:

“This here isn’t just some creaky old broken down ship.” Smit leaned in close. “This entire ship is a map. One that leads to an ancient island of vast and unspeakable fortune.”

That's an awesome idea!

I've never responded to this why?

I really like your builds, and amazing way to photograph the scenes, please carry on! 

Thank for the comments guys. I wanted to stop teasing so much and share a WIP image of the ship. My goal is to create a ship that is as accurate as possible by using 100% LEGO parts with a few modifications to the parts as possible. (namely only cutting official LEGO string.) I'm currently working on the rigging. It's been a bit of a trial and error getting to this point.

The Rosa Lee (WIP)

The Rosa Lee (WIP)

Edited by RocketSeason

Your work is impressive! I had missed the previous photos, and both the little scene and the overall build are great!