“Mr. Horton,” Captain Matthew Hawes said as he crossed the gun deck of the old galleon. “How is the refit coming along?”

“Slowly and expensively sir,” said Horton. “It seems more of her is rotted through than anticipated. At this rate, we’d likely been better served to have purchased a new ship outright.”

“Perhaps, but this particular ship has something to offer that others cannot.” Captain Hawes said as he ran his hand along the grain of an old plank softened by the sea.

Horton furrowed his brow. “What’s that sir?”

Captain Hawes paused before turning to leave. “A story to tell.”

A story to tell

I am currently building a Class 5 or 6 galleon named "The Rosa Lee" and since it is taking more time (and costing far more money) than anticipated, I figure I'd post several little narratives along the way to show off the progress I've made thus far. More stories and images coming soon!

Edited by RocketSeason

The gun deck looks promising, looking forward to seeing more photos!

A very promising start.  Looking forward to the completed build.

Nice start and that line: 

10 hours ago, RocketSeason said:

Captain Hawes paused before turning to leave. “A story to tell.

look cheesy enough for me to instantly like it :thumbup:

On a side note, big ships indeed cost quite some money brick-wise, so search for alternative bricks and techniques, take it slow and enjoy the process :wink:

In the deepest bowels of the old ship a key turned in a lock that had not opened in many years.

“So this is where you belong.” A man named Smit said to the old iron key as he placed it in his pocket. The bars of the door creaked as it swung open. Smit stepped into the gloom and allowed his eyes a moment to adjust.

“Ah yes, and this is where you’ve been hiding.” Smit said to a bottle of rum resting among a variety of canister shot in an old rack.

Smit pulled the bottle from it’s resting place. It resisted for a moment before breaking free from years of accumulation. Though the bottle was covered in dregs and brine, the cork was surprising still good which bode well for the rum contained within.

Smit removed the cork, drank deeply from the bottle and sank to the floor. “It is probably my duty to tell the captain about all of you...” he said to the other bottles in the room which sat patiently in racks and clinked softly in chests as the ship rolled with the waves.

“...My duty.” Smit sighed before returning the bottle to his lips.

The Rum

The photograph you see here is from the very lowest portion of the stern of the model. This ship project started it's life a number of years ago as a super-detailed system-scale model of The Black Pearl. I originally modeled this section to recreate the scene from the second PotC movie where Jack receives the black spot from Bootstrap Bill. I've since decided to go a different direction with the ship, but the little room remains. It will soon be covered with "removable" planking but will likely not see the light of day again. (though I will always know it's there.) 

Edited by RocketSeason

On 2017/7/9 at 6:20 PM, blackdeathgr said:

...alternative bricks and techniques...

May I understand that you are suggesting megablok and glue?:rofl:

1 hour ago, Bodi said:

Never shall the two touch my MOC. ...though I did find some interesting accessories amongst my daughter's Barbie construction blocks...

4 hours ago, Bodi said:

Hahaha! I meant LEGO bricks used in non conventional ways and techniques :wink: Be smarter with your limited bricks

Nice!  Great idea to go along with the story as construction proceeds - looks awesome, and can't wait to see more of the vessel (and read more about it's story)! :pir-wink:  Those little details that pretty much nobody but the builder can know about their ships are always quite fun!

"Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me." He mumbled to himself as the bristles of his brush scraped along the planking of the old ship's hull.

A Pirate's Life

A little bit of the outer hull here. Also, I've taken inspiration from Nova Team and decided to give this series a piratey identity.

Edited by RocketSeason

Nice writing and excellent way to depict your progress in an IC way. Very creative. 

And I quite like what we have seen of your ship so far!

Should you ever need it, the Shipwright's Guild Hall is a good place to get feedback on WIP's. 

12 hours ago, RocketSeason said:

... I've taken inspiration from Nova Team and decided to give this series a piratey identity.

Ah, awesome - love that series too!  Can't wait to see where all you take this, and I may have to do something of the sort for my next ship as well! :grin:

Another neat shot there, the dark brown is looking great! :thumbup:

Very nice shot there, RocketSeason! :thumbup:  Looking forward to seeing the rest of this ship!

4 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Another neat shot there, the dark brown is looking great! :thumbup:

Thanks! I've been buying a lot of it lately.

5 hours ago, Bregir said:

Should you ever need it, the Shipwright's Guild Hall is a good place to get feedback on WIP's. 

I'll be looking into that for sure.  I've mostly been spending my build time building and rebuilding the same sections of the ship over and over to get the curves right and to smooth out transitions. I'm getting there though!

Booze compartment! Great idea! Can't wait to see the whole ship.

On 7/13/2017 at 3:11 AM, Bodi said:

Booze compartment! Great idea! Can't wait to see the whole ship.

My booze compartment is on the fridge these days. Just saying :grin: :laugh:

4 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

My booze compartment is on the fridge these days. Just saying :grin: :laugh:

Fridge and air conditioner, I worship them in summer.:rofl:

Quartermaster James Horton lowered himself into the hold and immediately fought for control of his heaving stomach. The pungent smell was completely overwhelming. All manner of loathsome sea creatures had once squirmed their way into the ship’s ballast only to die and rot. 

“Great.” He said out loud and into the darkness. “Seems the ballast will need replaced lest our bread start tasting like rotting fish.”

Horton forced the lock on an ages old chest and exhaled heavily. Whatever useless paperwork that laid inside had long ago turned to pulp.

“Nothing worth nothing here.” Horton spat as he slammed the lid back down. He began to reconsider taking this particular job under this particular captain aboard this particular ship.

The Hold

This little hold is only a few bricks high, but does add some fun play features to the build. It can be accessed via removable planking on the gun deck. The ballast technique I used came from another builder on these forums years ago (though I can't remember who it was now.)

Edited by RocketSeason

The sun dipped low to the horizon, as Smit and Combs walked the length of ship’s interior examining the integrity of that day’s work. They stopped occasionally to yank at a beam or lean their weight against a plank to check the strength of the repairs. Surprisingly most of the work was of an acceptable quality, a surprise as the shipwrights in this port, though generally well meaning, were often lured from their work by rum and women.

Combs peered cautiously around the gloom of the deck before turning to Smit. “I ain’t never served on a ship this old and broken b’fore.”  

Smit stopped to examine the young man. Combs was rather inexperienced, having only ever served on perhaps one or two other crews. Yet he seemed ambitious and eager for adventure, a trait largely beaten out of experienced sailors. Perhaps Smit could guide that ambition in a direction he’d find useful to himself.

“Aye” Smit said leaning toward Combs and lowering his voice. “But I know a secret about this ship that you don’t.” Smit’s mouth opened into a wide grin. “A secret the Captain has been trying to keep from the rest of the crew.”

Combs turned and stepped closer to the older man. “Yeah, And what’s that?” 

Smit noted the skeptical look on Combs’s face. “This here isn’t just some creaky old broken down ship.” Smit leaned in close. “This entire ship is a map. One that leads to an ancient island of vast and unspeakable fortune.”

The young sailor frowned for a moment noting the smell of rum which hung heavy in the air around the old man. Combs grunted, turned away from Smit and pressed his palm into the center of a fresh plank. It groaned under his weight but held strong enough. 

A Secret about This Ship

I'm currently waiting on a couple of Bricklink orders that may never come however, I was able to complete pretty much the entire gun deck of the ship so I'll be showing off that more and more in coming updates.

Edited by RocketSeason

I am loving how this one ship is getting all this love! Looking like a very promising ship and a ditto story! :)

2 hours ago, Bregir said:

I am loving how this one ship is getting all this love! 

Thanks! Yeah, that is really my entire point in doing this project. I want to see how much fun and playability and story and life I can squeeze out of one MOC. I don't want this to be just another pretty model to stick on a shelf for display only. (not that there is anything wrong with that.) ;) 

It is a pleasure to discover everytime a new part of the ship! Very nice idea!