Murdoch17

British Rail (BR) class 38 diesel locomotive - 7939 / 60098 inspired MOC

The BR class 38 seen here is a one-off prototype. Engine number 7939 was made in 1989 to compare a Metro-Cammell made class 38 to a Brush Traction built class 60. The class 60 won the contract, and subsequently Metro-Cammell was sold and closed. The single class 38 soldiered on until 1997, when British Railways was fully privatized. The engine was then sold with a number of spare parts to Lego Rail Transportation Society, which has kept the engine running ever since as unit 7940.

24321481487_549053b04c_z.jpg

In the real world, the class 38 was never built. It was proposed and then dropped in favor of the class 60, which is what I based the story on. Metro Cammell really existed and was dismantled in 1989 sometime after loosing out to Brush Traction for the class 60 contract, and everyone knows that British Railways was taken apart in the mid-1990's. This LEGO model is a mash-up of a William Howard's diesel locomotives and the official Lego sets 7939 and 60098, with a set of Anthony Sava-derived three wheel sliding bogies.

24321482017_c7f0671cc8_z.jpg

The rear of the bidirectional loco. The numbers "7940" go on printed 1 x 1 tiles on the sides while "LRTS" goes on the front and rear ends. The color scheme for this model was inspired by the British Rail Class D16/1 (also known as LMS engines 10000 and 10001), the first two mainline diesel locomotives in Great Britain. (see here for more on them.)

38474362184_547965ef4c_z.jpg

Both ends of the locomotive have a engineer's cab that opens up to seat a figure at the controls, just like sets 7939 and 60098. (I just noticed there is one letter spot too few on the ends of the loco for the railways name as seen in the pictures, as there should be four studs, not the three shown)

Bricksafe LDD file link: BR class 38 file

Comments, Questions, and Complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

Post updated with newer model version and better pictures. The yellow color / blue scheme has been changed to black and dark bluish gray and the wheels replaced with a different, sliding design.

Enjoy!

EDIT: please note, the link in the main post goes to my page where the LDD file is, but it is NOT a direct link, as Bricksafe dosen't allow for that.

Edited by Murdoch17

On 12/22/2017 at 7:26 AM, Bricksmith said:

Nice Moc! I like what you did on the side with the ladder rungs :)

Thanks, but those ladder rungs were inspired by the original Whoward69 model, as seen below:

4341627835_31d948c04f_z.jpg

Hey @Murdoch17 Didnt you originally have this in orange but the cab was only available in an obscure Arctic set? 

If you are still wanting to build this in orange, I found that the cab piece came in a different set that had a print. It would only take a minor amount of work to remove the print with some ultra fine sandpaper. 

Here is a link to the print https://store.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=45406pb002#T=S&C=4&O={"color":4,"iconly":0}

2 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

Hey @Murdoch17 Didnt you originally have this in orange but the cab was only available in an obscure Arctic set? 

If you are still wanting to build this in orange, I found that the cab piece came in a different set that had a print. It would only take a minor amount of work to remove the print with some ultra fine sandpaper. 

Here is a link to the print https://store.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=45406pb002#T=S&C=4&O={"color":4,"iconly":0}

Thanks, but I'm a purist: If LEGO printed it, it stays on, as I'd rather not intentionally damage parts!

Thank anyway though @supertruper1988.