Sign in to follow this  
jtlan

[MOC] Breuer Lokomotor Type 3 (shunting tractor)

Finally, I built something too small to motorize:

lokomotor_144855.jpg

This is a Breuer Lokomotor, or shunting tractor. This tiny vehicle was made for moving rolling stock around stations that for economic or logistical reasons could not have a full-sized shunting locomotive. They were powered by inline petrol (and in later models, diesel) engines mounted transversely in the body, connected to a manual transmission and powering the wheels through a chain drive (!).

lokomotor_145826.jpg

The tractors themselves don't weigh much; to get enough working weight, each end of the tractor has a screw jack that lifts the wagon it's attached to, thereby "stealing" some of its weight for traction.

lokomotor_145341.jpg

The Type 3 Lokomotor differs from the Type 4 in that it doesn't have an enclosed cab (hard to build at this scale...). The Type 4 is also rated for higher pulling power. At the scale of this model I didn't have room to include magnets, but it's possible to connect the screw jacks on the model to the "new" buffers with a few plates:

lokomotor_145325.jpg

The short wheelbase of the Lokomotor means that this arrangement will traverse switches and curves, despite the fact that, properly, there should be another joint in the connecting link. Unfortunately, it's not powered.

scaled_lokomotortypiii.jpg

Full Brickshelf gallery here, and instruction gallery here. Thanks for reading!

Edited by jtlan

Perhaps you could build a motorised box van or something, this needs to be seen in motion. I think BP had a couple of the covered version in the UK, but I didn't know about the lifting-the-wagon thing! An unusual approach to the problem.
How well can the model go round curves and points when it's attached to a wagon? It looks like as there is only one hinge in the coupling it may have trouble.

Oh, and whilst I was doing a bit of research into the BP version, I found someone has done it in LEGO before. Slightly bigger, with a cab and a 9v motor slung underneath. https://www.flickr.com/photos/48442477@N04/6350027259/in/photostream/

7 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

How well can the model go round curves and points when it's attached to a wagon? It looks like as there is only one hinge in the coupling it may have trouble.

Because of the tiny wheelbase and generous tolerances in the small wheels, it works fine. I suppose there could be issues if I connected  it to a car where the coupler was very far from the wheelbase...

well thats what you thought...too small to motorize...

well not really:

rangiertraktor motor v3 type3

hope you like this and sorry to bump this old post.