Sign in to follow this  
letsbuild

[AMS-1] Voting (Finally)

After some delay, here are the entries for AMS-1! Please read all of them before voting!

First up, we have JTS' entry

The chassis has been completely modified to accommodate two live axles, balloon tyres, two L-motors, a servo motor and of course a battery box & receiver.

All original functions have been retained: opening doors, opening bonnet (hood), towhook for hitching the 8258-B trailer and front winch. The bodywork is almost identical to the original 8258-B, except this one can crawl over rocks, climb up hills and startle a grumpy Westie.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Marxpek's:

Here i present my crawlified 8048 set, I named it "Rune buggy" after its (not very..) original name "Buggy", my goal here was to create a crawler that performs, but maintained the look and proportions of the original set. I wanted no differentials for maximum power when a wheel was airborne, powerful and accurate steering and i wanted to use a minimum of gears, and of course.. the CLAAS wheels..  All this in a fairly light vehicle, so it can actually climb rocks, the 8048 seemed perfect for the job!

I think i have met my goals, it performs as a crawler! and not just on carpet, outdoors! ;D Be sure to check the bloopers in the video at the end ;) I had a blast participating in AMS-1!

UtjYs5i.jpg

io457n.jpg

MangaNOID's

The PNEUnimog …the most annoying and stressful RC vehicle ever.

Where’s the tray? Where’s the crane functions? They're used to make the transmitter and vehicle receiver. I don’t have LEGO IR. the two pneumatic cylinders operate two clutches on the gearbox, one each for steering and drive.

Two XL motors power all functions together for maximum power and are running constantly. The pneumatic controls have about 3 seconds of lag, so if you don’t want your steering gears to crunch you better concentrate. There is no self-centering back to neutral. I geared this to be quite slow so I would have time to steer!

Shocks should have been located more inboard, closer to the axle ball joint to soften them.

Positives? Very few non 8110 parts were needed. 4link suspension. Complete rebuild of axles to accommodate small LA’s for steering, increase ground clearance and decrease all that 8110 bump steer.

IMG_2472.JPG 

8110%201.jpg

Leinaud's entry:

Model: 42038

all functions from original model are intact

4-wheel drive

4-wheel steering

FUN!

20170526_192610.jpg

20170526_192456.jpg

ZBLJ's

Inspired by Letsbuild's idea to crawlify a Lego set, i decided to go full crazy and try to upgrade the biggest, heaviest and most orange set to date, Porsche 911 GT3 RS.

First thing I built was the front axle, which uses the H frame as a placeholder for bewel gear, so there it no possible way of them to slip

The drive than goes directly to portal hubs with 1:3 gear ratio, giving the model 1:5 gear ratio on each wheel.

Front axle also has a servo motor which steers the wheels and powers the Porsche's original steering wheel via a ball joint

Rear axle powers the Porsche's gearbox via a couple of clutch gears in order to allow different motor speeds when steering or skid steering - Yes, this 4 kilogram heavy model can even skid steer thanks to its independent motor control.

800x481.jpg

For suspension I used 4 hard springs, which are hald compressed thanks to the model's immense weight.

Due to the porsche's wide chassis springs are quite far apart, so the flex angle is not really big, but on the other hand that makes the model much more stable.

Performance wise the crawler works very good, despite its massive weight, so far I had no broke U joints or gears and it has enough torque to skid its wheels on hard surface.

As with the original set, I kept the rear axle 2 studs wider than the front:

800x604.jpg

And here is the video of the finished model:

LXF's

Pimped up 42027
-4x4
-steering
-solid axles
topic
here

800x533.jpg
800x533.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, for the voting. Because there is no poll available to me (maybe it's broken?) I am going to have to do this manually.

How it works. First, you post your votes on first, second, and third favourites, and then you can write a little text below if you want to comment.

EG.

1. Sam

2. Steve

3. Sarah

Good luck everyone!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you everyone for the particiation, I look forward to next years' competition!

Good luck!

Edited by letsbuild

1. ZBLJ

2.Leinaud

3. Marxpek

If I had found this topic earlier, my own 42043 crawler edition would be in there :(

Ah well, great entries everyone and I hope to do this next year!

1. ZBLJ
2. MangaNOID
3.Leinaud
Great contest , there were some really crazy contraptions :thumbup:

1. MangaNOID

2. LXF

3. ZBLJ

This was great fun! great entries and exiting idea's!

1: manganoid

2: Zblj

3: JTS

I liked manga noids's best for thinking outside the box, and just plain crazy idea.

Of course, I just thought of one before the voting, but I will definitely be waiting for AMS 2.... Or tc12....

1: Leinaud

2: JTS

3: ZBLJ

Great work everyone!

But just one question: when did AMS-1 start?

I would have really liked to participate in this - if I had known about it...

1. MangaNOID

2. Lenaud

3. JTS

I'm hoping to see more contests like this, with interesting takes on official Technic sets. Despite my votes I enjoyed following everyone's entries.

1. JTS

2. MagnaNOID

3. ZBLJ

Awesome work, I think JTS's was perfect, MagnaNOID's was amazing work for what he had access to and ZBLJ was great but the skid steering kinda let me down.

But every one did amazing work

1. MangaNOID

2. JTS

3. Leinaud

Some interesting and unusual models, well done to all. I wouldn't have a clue where to start!

11 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

But just one question: when did AMS-1 start?

I would have really liked to participate in this - if I had known about it...

AMS-1 started the first of May, and ended the first of June.