marbleman

LNER Class A4 4468 - MALLARD

After finished The Flying Scotsman, I began a new project, The fastest steam engine in the world, LNER Class A4 4468-MALLARD.

00.jpg

Here is general view of my work

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Golden bell from 79111

09.jpg

BigBen Wheel

10.jpg

11.jpg

10-1.jpg

12.jpg

Medal of honour for topest speed

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Tender nearly same with Flying Scotsman.

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Rear of tender is reference to this picture, who can tell me why tender has a door at rear and what that golden ring is?

23-1.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

Connected with Coach

29.jpg

Brothers of LNER Class A3 and A4

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

My train shelf

34.jpg

It's drived by an XL motor

38.jpg

Her is running video, speed is fast just like the real engine.

https://youtu.be/qmw4LrasaFA

Hope you like my work.

The door and ring are because the tender is a corridor tender, with a small hallway so that on long trips the relief crew to get from the cab of the locomotive to the train. The ring is a window to illuminate the passage.

See this article for more info.

Edited by CrispyBassist
Adjusted wording

Beautiful work, one of my favourite locomotives, well done! And btw nice collection!

Impressive! A very nice model of the Mallard, your curved fenders are the cleanest I've seen compared to others' MOC takes on the locomotive! Looking at this, it made me realize that the Mallard would be a great source of inspiration for the next Creator Expert series train (if that ever happens).

By the way, I haven't seen your Flying Scotsman locomotive before, that is as equally impressive! :thumbup:

15 hours ago, CrispyBassist said:

The door and ring are because the tender is a corridor tender, with a small hallway so that on long trips the relief crew to get from the cab of the locomotive to the train. The ring is a window to illuminate the passage.

See this article for more info.

Thank you very much, your information is much help for me.

14 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

wow! this is a great reproduction of the Mallard!

What gear ratio(s) are you using for the motor?

It's 20:12 acceleration speed.

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Impressive! A very nice model of the Mallard, your curved fenders are the cleanest I've seen compared to others' MOC takes on the locomotive! Looking at this, it made me realize that the Mallard would be a great source of inspiration for the next Creator Expert series train (if that ever happens).

By the way, I haven't seen your Flying Scotsman locomotive before, that is as equally impressive! :thumbup:

Thank you for your praise. Here is the topic of flying scotsman.

This is truly stunning. I can't help notice you've omitted the aerodynamic casing on the upper half of the wheels; was this because it would be too hard to reproduce? I feel if you left off the valve-gear it should fit. Speaking of which, isn't that cam on the central wheel just going to remain pointing at the centre, meaning the upper valve-gear set doesn't move?

Apart from these minor niggles, the model is impressive, and would look great with a train of coaches.
The first coach in that train should be the dynamometer car, that measured speed and drawbar force. (Incidentally, IIRC, the record speed run was made on a downhill section of track! Totally not cheating...) Fancy having a go at modelling one? I think, based on the standard of these models so far, it would be equally as impressive.

Great Mallard engine! You've captured the real one very well and seeing it in motion with front lights and moving rods is LEGO train MOCing at it's best! And your other models are also impressive.

Thanks for showing.

Holger

1 hour ago, ColletArrow said:

This is truly stunning. I can't help notice you've omitted the aerodynamic casing on the upper half of the wheels; was this because it would be too hard to reproduce? I feel if you left off the valve-gear it should fit. Speaking of which, isn't that cam on the central wheel just going to remain pointing at the centre, meaning the upper valve-gear set doesn't move?

Apart from these minor niggles, the model is impressive, and would look great with a train of coaches.
The first coach in that train should be the dynamometer car, that measured speed and drawbar force. (Incidentally, IIRC, the record speed run was made on a downhill section of track! Totally not cheating...) Fancy having a go at modelling one? I think, based on the standard of these models so far, it would be equally as impressive.

You are correct, I removed the casing because it interfere the valve-gear. In fact, I also see the version without casing just like follow picture

02.jpg

The upper valve-gear also moved,here is the video

In fact, the valve-gear system on MALLARD is a reduced version, the totally version is on my QJ

Awesome, beautiful model! Looks even better when running! Thumbs up.

Speaking of running, what motors do you use? 

14 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Awesome, beautiful model! Looks even better when running! Thumbs up.

Speaking of running, what motors do you use? 

It's one XL Motor.

Looks great!

Just remember though its the fastest confirmed steam engine... If oral legend has any basis of truth to it a PRR T1 could outrace an A4 any day without breaking much of a sweat. I guess we won't know for sure until another generation from now once the T1 rebuild project is finished and the legends can be put to test.

Great work. Perfectly implemented in the model is a very complex geometry of different angles. Attention to small details is amazing.

Very nice MOC! It must have been very hard to model these complex, rounded shapes, but you did it very well.
Some inspiring building techniques, too!

I really like how many different ideas come up for the same engine. I think I've already seen quite some good Lego models of the same class, but this one being different still holds up to a high quality! I really like how you tried to hide the last running wheel behind the sloped running plate, and the red of the wheels really adds a  nice touch (a shame those wheels aren't available in dark red). Also really like the simple but effective way of building the tender! 

Really top notch work here, hope to see some more models from you in the future! 

really well done, all those curves aren't easy to reproduce in the lego form.I dont't want to hijack the thread but I can't pass the work of a fellow AFOL , he made this version that I saw at the canadian railway museum.  

exporail010

I love this Version of the Mallard. Nice video of it running as well. Could we see a picture of the transmission from XL motor to wheels?

On ‎2017‎年‎8‎月‎29‎日 at 6:32 PM, baard said:

I love this Version of the Mallard. Nice video of it running as well. Could we see a picture of the transmission from XL motor to wheels?

99.jpg