Speaking of the magazine:

Next edition comes with Fred! Purple hair, cool armour and pretty badass sword build, going to try to pick it up!

3 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Speaking of the magazine:

Next edition comes with Fred! Purple hair, cool armour and pretty badass sword build, going to try to pick it up!

Eh. Identical hair to Pola? No other distinguishing traits beyond the sword (which is cool)? I'll just wait until the Twinfector goes on discount or clearance or something (as is inevitable), get a second one, and switch out the helmet and wig on Fred. More expensive, but better to pay $20-ish for a parts pack including two Vampires than $10-ish for a pile of paper with one. 

20 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

On a somewhat lighter note; I got the Berserker Bomber and tested the Vermillion armour pieces with Berserker's alternate face, and . . SnakeByte is in the house!

https://imgur.com/2MnLldK

Seriously, it's great. The helmet and armour parts, when fitted together, completely obscure all of the white while leaving the four green eyes and grill mouth visible; and if you look at it right, the mouth even looks kind of like it has fangs! It's so perfect! We have a custom, easy-to-make Vampire general minifig; whoo!

Ooo, I want that

I know this could mean nothing but if Nexo Knights was doing as poorly as people say why would Lego waste a spot at the new york toy fair for a dying theme? 

2 hours ago, Nexogeek said:

I know this could mean nothing but if Nexo Knights was doing as poorly as people say why would Lego waste a spot at the new york toy fair for a dying theme? 

Chima’s last wave was at the Toy Fair for that year too; I think they’re showing everything from 1HY, unfortunately.

Edited by legozebra

On 2/16/2018 at 4:04 PM, Falctron said:

I think it's a lot of different things. Being a dad myself now, I can see kids feeling pressure to stop playing with toys at an earlier and earlier age. There is a lot more competing with kids' attention as well. My kids are perfectly content not even playing video games, but just watching others play them on YouTube.

As for myself, it was Pirates, Space Police, and Black Knights that truely started my LEGO fascination (and if I'm being honest, Fabuland several years prior to that). So I'd love to see in-house Space, Castle, and Pirate lines. I just think that if they made money, they would already be on the shelves like City is.

I personally don't think that Star Wars is why we don't have a Space line. There were Space lines for years after LEGO started making Star Wars sets. I think a Generic Space line doesn't appeal to kids nowadays. I do think that LEGO could come up with a Space-Based IP that kids would buy, but it needs to appeal to them and have a strong marketing strategy like Bionicle and Ninjago did at launch.

This. There was a very very brief gap in Space when Lego first started Star Wars so they could get a lay of the land. There was a similar gap in Castle at the start of Harry Potter and LotR. But unlike themes such as Pirates of the Caribean and Lone Ranger, there are no direct blanket non compete clauses on Space and Castle. They will use those themes, but they just need to differentiate them a bit from the licensed lines. We also get hung up on our definitions of themes. But that really isn't how Lego looks at it. AFOL's complain because it's been years since we saw Space or Castle... but in Lego's eyes they are just finishing up a 3 year Space/Castle Hybrid. How we label stuff is not really how they look at things. We make that mistake a lot. Perhaps the most common is "number of pieces and price per part" evaluations of sets. We fail to realize that Lego doesn't design sets around parts count. They go by gross plastic weight and a far more complicated "parts budget". 

Nexo Knights was an interesting Hybrid. A SciFi Castle series with some Fantasy elements. Excepting some really exceptionally poor color pallet choices it really was a brilliant concept. Yeah I know Chima had a longer run, but I think Nexo Knights came closest to hitting that Ninjago sweet spot. It seems like they almost overcompensated for some of the design choice failings of Galaxy Squad and suffered a bit for it though. Galaxy Squad failed because the hero side was confusing. You had the 4 color coded teams, but not really any well defined characters backing them. Each team carried its own color scheme with no coherency backing them. So the hero's felt disjointed. If they had gone with 5 distinct unique heroes ie Ninjago it might have worked better. Or better integrated a common scheme throughout the vehicles. Whereas Nexo Knights went the other way. The heroes were nice distinct Sentai like... But their vehicles and sets all kinda looked the same with that Blue, Grey and Orange scheme. The colored knights needed matching colored vehicles showing their heraldry, much the way Ninjago does. That and the neon felt a hair overdone. Clay's ship or mecha needed to look different from Aaron's different from Axyl's etc. Final thing was the game needed something a bit more tactile. We forget what absolute kiddy crack that initial Ninjago spinner/card game was.

35 minutes ago, legozebra said:

Chima’s last wave was at the Toy Fair for that year too; I think they’re showing everything from 1HY, unfortunately.

Ah thanks, first year paying attention to the toy fair due to coming out of my dark age in the summer lol. Guessing that they already had the summer wave designed and all wish they would release it as a shop at home exclusive or at least release army builders for the tech vampires and guards 

30 minutes ago, Nexogeek said:

Ah thanks, first year paying attention to the toy fair due to coming out of my dark age in the summer lol. Guessing that they already had the summer wave designed and all wish they would release it as a shop at home exclusive or at least release army builders for the tech vampires and guards 

They may yet. They often release blister pack Army Builders right at the end of certain lines in order to burn off excess minifigs that are unique to that theme. For example the Ninjago Sky Pirates army builder set that is on shelves now. It has 2 generic Pirate thugs, Zane and Nya as Samurai X. 3 of those are clearly overstock figures. The third was a version of Zane that was easy to cobble together to make the pack desireable

Edited by Faefrost

2 hours ago, Faefrost said:

They may yet. They often release blister pack Army Builders right at the end of certain lines in order to burn off excess minifigs that are unique to that theme. For example the Ninjago Sky Pirates army builder set that is on shelves now. It has 2 generic Pirate thugs, Zane and Nya as Samurai X. 3 of those are clearly overstock figures. The third was a version of Zane that was easy to cobble together to make the pack desireable

Perhaps some elements from that pack were excess, but Samurai X, Tournament Zane, and both Sky Pirates had exclusive prints, faces, and accessories/hats. One of them even came with a specially printed sailor’s cap with the Sky Pirate logo on it. Usually figures in those packs tend to be all-exclusive...

3 hours ago, Nexogeek said:

I’m hoping so too. A similar thing happened to Alien Conquest, where we even saw some boxes of the second wave (they were in the corner of a photo in a book) but they never saw that light of day. The good thing was that many of the designs seem to have been reused (Galaxy Quest’s Hive Crawler bares extreme similarities to the leaked box art of a cancelled Wave 2 Alien Conquest set) so maybe we’ll see designs of the summer wave, if there is one, crop up in other themes.

59 minutes ago, legozebra said:

I’m hoping so too. A similar thing happened to Alien Conquest, where we even saw some boxes of the second wave (they were in the corner of a photo in a book) but they never saw that light of day. The good thing was that many of the designs seem to have been reused (Galaxy Quest’s Hive Crawler bares extreme similarities to the leaked box art of a cancelled Wave 2 Alien Conquest set) so maybe we’ll see designs of the summer wave, if there is one, crop up in other themes.

Ah Alien Conquest such fond memories of those sets, sad that it didn't last a little longer 

8 hours ago, Faefrost said:

That's... not really true at all. All four figures in that pack are unique—none of the printed parts in the set are reused from other figures. The same applies to last year's Ninjago figure pack, which included three brand-new figures, two of which were characters from the show who had never appeared in sets and one of which was a new outfit for Skylor.

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

That's... not really true at all. All four figures in that pack are unique—none of the printed parts in the set are reused from other figures. The same applies to last year's Ninjago figure pack, which included three brand-new figures, two of which were characters from the show who had never appeared in sets and one of which was a new outfit for Skylor.

I thought the only new printed figure was Zane? The Samurai X and the henchmen are just stock head, torso and leg reuses with some new hats.

7 minutes ago, Faefrost said:

I thought the only new printed figure was Zane? The Samurai X and the henchmen are just stock head, torso and leg reuses with some new hats.

No, they're not. The Samurai X has completely different printing from any other Samurai X figures (double-sided head, torso, and legs), as do the Sky Pirates (heads, torsos, and the printed set of legs). If you directly compare them to other such figs the differences are pretty clearly apparent.

Only the unprinted parts (the pegleg, Samurai X's helmet and armor, Zane's headwrap, and the weapons are reused). And even then the headgear for the two pirates are unique recolors.

Edited by Lyichir

You know what's kind of a shame? That they didn't take the opportunity to give us a Trojan horse to go with the virus theme. Given the TV show's fondness for Monty Python jokes, it's honestly kind of surprising.

2 hours ago, DraikNova said:

You know what's kind of a shame? That they didn't take the opportunity to give us a Trojan horse to go with the virus theme. Given the TV show's fondness for Monty Python jokes, it's honestly kind of surprising.

If whatever is going on with the show clears up and we actually get a new season, I can totally see this happening during the show, just not as a set...

On 17-2-2018 at 8:59 PM, Feng-huang0296 said:

Eh. Identical hair to Pola? No other distinguishing traits beyond the sword (which is cool)? I'll just wait until the Twinfector goes on discount or clearance or something (as is inevitable), get a second one, and switch out the helmet and wig on Fred. More expensive, but better to pay $20-ish for a parts pack including two Vampires than $10-ish for a pile of paper with one. 

10 dollars?! Over here they go for €4,99... Not all that cheap for what I'm interested in, but with a little discount it's an okay price for a good fig. I haven't gotten anything from the wave yet, and this fig is the 'concentrate' of interesting minifig parts in this wave, for me personally. And if I could obtain Berserker as well, then I would already be satisfied.

Btw, your SnakeByte is awesome! :thumbup:

Sorry for my part of derailing the conversation. Back to actual Nexo Knights discussion, I was making a wishlist of parts to create a human Monstrox on Bricklink only to discover I already had most of what I needed.

It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, so I thought I'd share it:

Monstrox Custom

Edited by Falctron

On 2/17/2018 at 8:00 AM, Exetrius said:

Nice! Can't wait to get my hands on it. It makes sense for Fred's hair to be the same as Pola's since they are supposed to be twins, though I might just use Joker's TLBM hair instead on my Fred for more visual variety.

1 minute ago, Takanuinuva said:

That is pretty darn accurate. What is the that torso from?

Torso is Calculator from TLBM Minifig series one with Jayna from TLBM Minifig series 2 arms.

Legs and collar are likewise from Jayna. Head is Moltor obviously, stole the hood from a Rogul, and the cape is from the Goblin King minidoll from the Elves line.

1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

10 dollars?! Over here they go for €4,99... Not all that cheap for what I'm interested in, but with a little discount it's an okay price for a good fig. I haven't gotten anything from the wave yet, and this fig is the 'concentrate' of interesting minifig parts in this wave, for me personally. And if I could obtain Berserker as well, then I would already be satisfied.

Btw, your SnakeByte is awesome! :thumbup:

The problems with living in Australia . . . And thanks! (I've experimented a bit further and come up with a new torso, too - the one from CMF 16's Spy. All that you could see of the 'standard' one with the armour on was the gree stomach region, and he already has the big green power core in his chest, so it felt redundant. And when you put the Vermillion Armour on the Spy torso backwards, it covers everything except his utility belt. So it all looks great. :)

Now I just need to MOC up a vehicle for him. I'm thinking some kind of 'Defrag Drill'; something that could bore a hole through the wall between the digital world and the real world and enable the Vampires to attack anywhere. 

51 minutes ago, Falctron said:

Sorry for my part of derailing the conversation. Back to actual Nexo Knights discussion, I was making a wishlist of parts to create a human Monstrox on Bricklink only to discover I already had most of what I needed.

It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, so I thought I'd share it:

Nice. Gotta give you props there. :)

Persionally, I thought Monstrox' purple suit was somewhat tacky (why I've been making my Monstrox minifig Virus-ified), but that's just the source material, and your rendition is impressively accurate. ^^

(Also, word of advice; give the Rogul you took tne hood piece from with the purple ninja mask from Cole's Rock Roader. Trust me, it looks kickass.)

57 minutes ago, Falctron said:

Wow does that look great for being made with what lego has produced. Oh how i would love to see them make a human Monstrox minifigure with printing for his charms on his arm. It stinks the main point was Monstrox gaining human form again yet they never made a actual minifigure of it, makes me wonder if that was met to be the big ending when they started the theme but thing changed due to plans getting cut short. 

Also re-reading some of that comic makes me wonder if we will ever see much of Merloks memories in the next and most likely final season if Monstrox is in Merloks system damaging it 

4 hours ago, Falctron said:

That's probably the closest to the real thing as it gets. Nice work!

Is there any reason Nexo Knights was not mentioned in the themes in the sub-header for this section?

Adventurers, Agents, Alpha Team, Aquazone, Atlantis, Dino 2010 / Dino Attack, Elves, Ninjago, Pharaoh's Quest, Power Miners, Rock Raiders, Time Cruisers

It has been a bigger theme than most of those, was (still is) current, yet doesn't get a mention.