18 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Well, here's hoping. But, considering the article we saw . .

I'm already working on a Vampire Castle MOC on Bricklink. When it's finished I'll post it.

the head from Ghost Warrior Pitch (njo145 on Bricklink), 

I keep thinking Moltar's head would work?

25 minutes ago, Killian said:

I keep thinking Moltar's head would work?

I thought so at first too, and if we're going for how he appeared during the flashback that would be good. (In that case I'd suggest repurposing Kai's outfit from Hands of Time, just off the top of my head.) But I'm trying to keep to the Virus Vampire colour scheme, and that means black, green and white. 

(copied and pasted from my comment over on the Brickset article, so keep that in mind innit)

I can't say I'm completely surprised by the cancellation news honestly - the recent wave definitely felt like a 'winding down' of the theme like the last wave of Chima, so it's not exactly a shock or anything. I'm definitely gonna miss all the new sci-fi pieces and vehicles we were getting from it though, since the vehicles were hella useful as starting points/inspiration for MOCs and the cool new parts were, y'know, cool new parts innit. I definitely gotta agree with Jang's remarks on last year's sets though - they really were a bit of a bland mess when it came to the colour schemes and, small mechs aside, I don't think I ended up grabbing any of 'em. 

That's not to say Nexo was completely an amazing theme though - the app-game integration with the scannable shields was a neat idea on paper but the execution was very mixed (particularly how incredibly grindy the game actually was and the fact that the scan upgrade system got broken incredibly quickly), and the TV show was, in my opinion at least, a bit of a bland mess with single-characteristic characters and a very same-y world, especially when compared with other TLG shows (Netflix!Elves and Ninjago immediately come to mind) - it's not the very worst they've put out (it's definitely an improvement over Chima's show), but realistically I'd expect quite a bit more from 'em innit. All that said though, I don't think I've ever thought on the whole that the whole theme needed to 'die quick' or whatever - every theme has it's benefits and drawbacks, and whilst Nexo had drawbacks in the form of it's media, the sets and parts were *definitely* a major plus on most fronts and I'm relatively happy with the good stuff we got outta it.

And as for the comments about how Nexo was "THE WORST THEME EVAR NOBODY LIKED IT ANYWAYS" and that it's "GREAT NEWS" the theme is ending so that your "20 classic castles and 12 new knight factions a year just like the good ol' days" wet dream can come true... Lego is primarily a children's toy for children. As a children's toy for children, it makes sense that they would look into what would sell specifically to children as that's, y'know, their main target audience. It's incredibly silly to fool yourself into thinking that TLG's gonna bend over backwards to make sure every single one of their themes specifically adheres to what you personally enjoyed back in the 80s - times have changed and so have the tastes of kiddies and what they look for in a theme. Of course, that doesn't completely absolve a theme from constructive criticism, by far - it's an important tool and allows 'em to improve beyond what they're currently doing - but it *does* mean that you've gotta take that fact into consideration as context and it *definitely* means that unconstructive arguments like "OH IT'S NOT WHAT IT WAS LIKE WHEN I WAS YOUNG SO IT'S AUTOMATICALLY BAD" can go die in a hole. Look closer at what's there and analyse it thoroughly to identify the possible positives/negatives instead of just seeing things at a surface value and judging solely via that innit.

And anyways, if you don't like what themes TLG's doing... instead of having a lil' moan about how it's not the stuff you yourself specifically want, why not use your own unique imagination and build the stuff you DO wanna see? Y'know, the main selling point of lego? Yeah, that.

tl;dr, this:

DU32YAEWsAAqJvK.jpg

Rest in peace to the line that gave of us some of the best villain minifigures in LEGO history. It's a shame the final wave is kind of a whimper.

Man, all I hope is that we at least get a conclusion to the story, or some sort of ending to the TV series. Even Bionicle, which was cancelled prematurely, got that.

5 minutes ago, legozebra said:

Man, all I hope is that we at least get a conclusion to the story, or some sort of ending to the TV series. Even Bionicle, which was cancelled prematurely, got that.

Hopefully, I gotta say out of all the seasons the last one had to of been the best of them it would be a shame if it doesn't get a good ending 

13 hours ago, Robert8 said:

That's because this wasn't designed as the final wave.

my axl from 72006 has printed code 27X7: july 3, 2017 — july 9, 2017. so set itself was designed before. and it was before this news. so theme was closed because it not give expected profit.

43 minutes ago, zg0 said:

my axl from 72006 has printed code 27X7: july 3, 2017 — july 9, 2017. so set itself was designed before. and it was before this news. so theme was closed because it not give expected profit.

Usually themes like this have a planned 3 year run, so I’m not too surprised. What may have been a result of the decreased profits is potentially the show getting cancelled, unless they pull a Chima and throw all of Year 3 into two episodes.

I hope at least the Nexo Knights tv show doesn't wrap up the series in 2 episodes like Chima did. At least give us half a Season with 5 episodes.

29 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

I hope at least the Nexo Knights tv show doesn't wrap up the series in 2 episodes like Chima did. At least give us half a Season with 5 episodes.

Years 1 and 2 each got twenty episodes. Even if we only get half, I'm hoping for at least ten. (A pilot episode that introduces the situation and shows Monstrox taking over, seven subsequent episodes that each focus on one of the characters as their respective Merlok Power is retrieved, and a suitably spectacular two-part finale.)

9 hours ago, AyliffeMakit said:

And as for the comments about how Nexo was "THE WORST THEME EVAR NOBODY LIKED IT ANYWAYS" and that it's "GREAT NEWS" the theme is ending so that your "20 classic castles and 12 new knight factions a year just like the good ol' days" wet dream can come true... Lego is primarily a children's toy for children. As a children's toy for children, it makes sense that they would look into what would sell specifically to children as that's, y'know, their main target audience. It's incredibly silly to fool yourself into thinking that TLG's gonna bend over backwards to make sure every single one of their themes specifically adheres to what you personally enjoyed back in the 80s - times have changed and so have the tastes of kiddies and what they look for in a theme. Of course, that doesn't completely absolve a theme from constructive criticism, by far - it's an important tool and allows 'em to improve beyond what they're currently doing - but it *does* mean that you've gotta take that fact into consideration as context and it *definitely* means that unconstructive arguments like "OH IT'S NOT WHAT IT WAS LIKE WHEN I WAS YOUNG SO IT'S AUTOMATICALLY BAD" can go die in a hole. Look closer at what's there and analyse it thoroughly to identify the possible positives/negatives instead of just seeing things at a surface value and judging solely via that innit.

And anyways, if you don't like what themes TLG's doing... instead of having a lil' moan about how it's not the stuff you yourself specifically want, why not use your own unique imagination and build the stuff you DO wanna see? Y'know, the main selling point of lego? Yeah, that.

tl;dr, this:

-snipped--Peppermint---

Well said. I second all of your above points.

Edited by Peppermint_M
No need to quote images on the same page.

Alright then. Now at least everyone can stop complaining that the theme exists. Though I might have to crack open a beer and pull out some popcorn if whatever comes next is not the back-to-basics castle them everyone believes Nexo Knights is blocking.

Just to remind before anything starts up: There are a few threads dedicated to speculating and wishing on new themes for Action and Adventure and within LEGO products as a whole. So there isn't a need to discuss potential replacements in here. Cheers.

Personally, besides the TV show having a full season, I'm just hoping that whatever follows up Nexo Knights annoys x105Black even more. That's probably been about 50% of the fun of Nexo Knights for me.

43 minutes ago, DraikNova said:

Personally, besides the TV show having a full season, I'm just hoping that whatever follows up Nexo Knights annoys x105Black even more. That's probably been about 50% of the fun of Nexo Knights for me.

Honestly I'm not sure which I'd prefer more: another bold take on castle that continues to take the theme in exciting new directions, or a more "traditional" Castle theme that proves how utterly silly it was for everyone to interpret a single non-traditional castle theme as evidence that we'd never ever get a non-futuristic castle theme again.

I suppose it doesn't matter—if I learned anything from Nexo Knights, 2013 Castle, Kingdoms, Fantasy Castle, and Knights Kingdom II, it's that it doesn't matter what a castle theme is like, since as long as it's new AFOLs will find a way to complain about it one way or another!

Edited by Lyichir

58 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Honestly I'm not sure which I'd prefer more: another bold take on castle that continues to take the theme in exciting new directions, or a more "traditional" Castle theme that proves how utterly silly it was for everyone to interpret a single non-traditional castle theme as evidence that we'd never ever get a non-futuristic castle theme again.

Hey, why not a theme that is both of those things? Lego could still do a "big bang" theme down the line that is medieval in its inspirations, with a complex storyline, tie-in media, and such. The only difference though, is that it would aesthetically take more after Castle instead of Space. 

New Jang video is out. He makes a lot of fair points, especially about the order in which the waves came out and the "internal competition" with TLBM and TLNM.

15 hours ago, AyliffeMakit said:

tl;dr, this:

Trust me, many of us have definitely been doing this.  I've seen s glut of great new parts, and I've ordered several of them off BrickLink and Bricks & Pieces.  Lots of great visors, pyramids, and pentagonal tiles.  It hasn't disappointed on that front, and several minifigures have been worthwhile.

6 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

I might have to crack open a beer and pull out some popcorn if whatever comes next is not the back-to-basics castle them everyone believes Nexo Knights is blocking.

I'll be doing that regardless of what comes next.  It should be interesting just to see what happens.

5 hours ago, DraikNova said:

I'm glad I've entertained others.

Sad to hear the theme is ending. Hope it gets some sort of story send off. Also, since LEGO is currently on the market as to what to do next, we're obviously going to have the "Bring back castle, LEGO!" people popping back in again, I thought I'd remind people that NEXO Knights was a Castle theme (not a space theme, or a sci-fi theme), and, therefore, it’s failure would actually worsen the chances of another Castle theme (traditional, fantasy, or otherwise) showing up anytime in the next two years at minimum.

Also, I hate to break it to people, but in the current market, generic Castle just isn't something kids are interested in (LEGO's target market). However, medieval fantasy is probably at an all time high. I believe that, if LEGO were to go for a Castle theme in the near future, their safest course of action should be the elven, dwarven, and orc filled subtheme we've been dying for a revival for since 2008. Though an issue would be theme conflicts with Elves, and some of the concepts of Harry Potter.

Or, you know, how 'bout a catchy space theme, or maybe even some Pirates, I dunno.

There are two things I'm hoping for in a potential successor to Nexo Knights:

1. The popularity of dragons (seriously, if I remember correctly there have been at least two sets featuring dragons, usually more, for the past five or so years) results in LEGO making the theme dragon-focused. There's a reason even Megabloks managed to make a dragon-based line last for over half a decade.
  2. LEGO doesn't act stingy with giving female characters sets.
Edited by DraikNova

So a quick reminder: Yes, the ending of this theme does affect the production of related media, but can that discussion remain in the dedicated media thread.

13 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Alright then. Now at least everyone can stop complaining that the theme exists. Though I might have to crack open a beer and pull out some popcorn if whatever comes next is not the back-to-basics castle them everyone believes Nexo Knights is blocking.

Let's face it, if they do a traditional castle theme with two factions, people will complain about always making sets based on conflict and how they actually want peasants and civilians rather than soldiers. If they do peasants, then people will complain they want more army builders. If they do a battle pack, there will be too many soldiers based on the same torso. If they don't, there won't be enough soldiers based on the same torso. If they do two factions, others will want 3 factions, or 4, or 5. If one faction appears evil and one good, then people will complain that the story line is too pre-determined. They should bring back old factions, but update the ensigns. But the new designs don't perfectly match the old, so there will be complaints and people will say this is why the theme has been a complete flop. And we need different factions. More factions. But not too many. And they should be: wolf, falcon, lion (heads), lion (full body), crown, dragon (green), dragon (black), boars, bats. But not too many of them. But all of them. Why no red dragons? Stupid decision. We should have had more. And a battle pack for each. And mixed battle packs. With different torsos in for variation and also the same torsos as I want my army to look uniform. Actually, they should be based on real historic emblems, such as cross keys, fleur de lys and the red cross of the crusaders. Sales would have been much better if they kept it realistic concerning the history and I can prove it with facts. If they do a grey traditional castle, people will want a yellow Classic Castle. If they do a classic yellow one, people will complain about juniorization of sets these days, and the bright colours, comparing it to the detail of Orthanc. If they do a large detailed castle, it will be too expensive but also not big enough at the same time. If they do a medieval market set with pigs in it, it'll be the worst decision ever made by LEGO as someone wanted goats not pigs. There won't be enough horses, or there will be too many pushing up the price of sets. And they should have gone back to the classic horse with no articulation. Or not, if they did. Or introduced a new horse with more articulation. Wait a minute, they gave us all those factions but still no forestmen? Stags. We need stags.

Edited by MAB

6 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

Sad to hear the theme is ending. Hope it gets some sort of story send off. Also, since LEGO is currently on the market as to what to do next, we're obviously going to have the "Bring back castle, LEGO!" people popping back in again, I thought I'd remind people that NEXO Knights was a Castle theme (not a space theme, or a sci-fi theme), and, therefore, it’s failure would actually worsen the chances of another Castle theme (traditional, fantasy, or otherwise) showing up anytime in the next two years at minimum.

Also, I hate to break it to people, but in the current market, generic Castle just isn't something kids are interested in (LEGO's target market). However, medieval fantasy is probably at an all time high. I believe that, if LEGO were to go for a Castle theme in the near future, their safest course of action should be the elven, dwarven, and orc filled subtheme we've been dying for a revival for since 2008. Though an issue would be theme conflicts with Elves, and some of the concepts of Harry Potter.

Or, you know, how 'bout a catchy space theme, or maybe even some Pirates, I dunno.

This.  A castle theme could work if you had a fantasy/mythological twist to it.  If you take a purely Middle Ages approach, then you get about the same results that the last Castle line attempt had, and that is not good.  Dragons are very popular as are other creatures.  I know I am not the target audience, but with that said, Nexo Knights did not really appeal to my kids nor their friends either.  They are more into City/Star Wars/Ninjago, and just designing their own stuff.  When you can walk into a Lego aisle the week before Christmas and half of the sets on the shelves are literally Nexo Knights, that might be a clue that they are not overly popular with any group.  Probably the best hope AFOLS could have would be to see sets that have the things that appeal to kids (cool minifig characters, creatures, play features, storyline, etc) but have something in the builds which has things we would like too, like the classic castle architectural elements.  I would hope for a bit of realism like they did with Helms Deep and avoid primary colors for castles, battlements, and other things.  

I think this is the last time we will get a castle theme for a while, this is now multiple failures for castle sets even with a reinvention of the idea with Nexo Knights. I think Lego might go in a completely new direction this time around given the recent failures of old successes (Bionicle, galaxy squad, Knights, pirates, to my knowledge) Just not another Chima-esque theme please

Edited by Cyclone_37

Does anyone that has collected a line that ended abruptly have any speculation on prices?  I have only Knighton Castle and the current wave to complete my Nexo collection but I want to collect doubles/triples of everything if I can.  I enjoy the pieces so much and because a lot of them will be used for a large project in my LUG (especially the fluorescent pieces).  I don't know when is the right time to buy to maximize my dollar/sets.  My initial thought is make sure I get one of everything, full price as needed and then cross my fingers for price drops.  I'm sure everyone here is in the same boat in terms of having "plans" for a huge MOC that may never come to fruition but half the fun is planning and buying and parting out.