40 minutes ago, Knafstuds said:

Hey everyone I finally found a decent review of the Berserker Bomber on youtube. I'll share the link

The review is not the best but it gets the job done. 

Great set, must buy for me.

Lego makes themes for kids.  They might make a nostalgia set here or there for AFOLs.  I seem to remember the castle ones being received poorly.  If nexo knights didn't make kids into castle fans I don't really see them reverting to more grey bricks and less fantasy.  Especially without a TV show to sell lunchboxes, costumes, foam rubber shields and weapons etc.  Big bang themes seem to be lego's response to everything trending towards licensed, and with chima down and rumors/wishes for nexo knights to do the same that makes ninjago the exception, not the rule.

If you're a castle fan, I think your best bet at seeing another real castle theme is hoping nexo knights can persist.  Hopefully long enough for them to branch out into the location based sets we all want like ninjago finally got when they ran out of half-treads and motor cycles and based an episode around a lighthouse or a temple or whatever.  Being a castle-y theme we might even see some new castle related parts.

20 minutes ago, deneweth said:

Lego makes themes for kids.  They might make a nostalgia set here or there for AFOLs.  I seem to remember the castle ones being received poorly.  If nexo knights didn't make kids into castle fans I don't really see them reverting to more grey bricks and less fantasy.  Especially without a TV show to sell lunchboxes, costumes, foam rubber shields and weapons etc. 

20 minutes ago, deneweth said:

If you're a castle fan, I think your best bet at seeing another real castle theme is hoping nexo knights can persist.  Hopefully long enough for them to branch out into the location based sets we all want like ninjago finally got when they ran out of half-treads and motor cycles and based an episode around a lighthouse or a temple or whatever.  Being a castle-y theme we might even see some new castle related parts.

Agreed, Lego has to make sets that will sell to kids, and they aren't really into castles right now.

Wow, the Berserkers alternate face is awesome can't wait for the second part of this wave.

P.S. I really hope they make Tech Vampire battle packs.

Edited by Dr.Cogg

29 minutes ago, deneweth said:

Lego makes themes for kids.  They might make a nostalgia set here or there for AFOLs.  I seem to remember the castle ones being received poorly.  If nexo knights didn't make kids into castle fans I don't really see them reverting to more grey bricks and less fantasy.  Especially without a TV show to sell lunchboxes, costumes, foam rubber shields and weapons etc.  Big bang themes seem to be lego's response to everything trending towards licensed, and with chima down and rumors/wishes for nexo knights to do the same that makes ninjago the exception, not the rule.

I don't think the prospect for a more conventional Castle theme taking the place of Nexo Knights is quite so bleak. Nexo Knights is only the new paradigm for Castle sets if you interpret it as LEGO giving up on traditional castles, but I think the more realistic interpretation is just that they're taking a break from them to try something new for a few years while there's a "big bang" niche begging to be filled. Also, in general, "big bang" themes aren't meant to be long-runners. Even Ninjago wasn't intended to last beyond 2013 until it became clear partway through 2012 that it still had lots of momentum and an extremely passionate fanbase. So LEGO wouldn't be placing their hopes for the future of LEGO Castle on Nexo Knights becoming a lasting craze.

Personally, I expect Castle to be renewed again, in some form, in 2019. The renewal cycle of LEGO Castle has actually been surprisingly consistent compared to a lot of other themes that are revisited more sporadically — new takes on LEGO Castle launched in 2004, 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016. So expecting a new take on Castle to launch three years after Nexo Knights isn't a huge stretch. Now, whether it's the "classic castle theme" a lot of AFOLs crave depends on how narrowly they define that, because there are all kinds of different directions LEGO could take the Castle concept besides just "the way sets were in the 80s" and "neon cyber tech revolution".

28 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Personally, I expect Castle to be renewed again, in some form, in 2019. The renewal cycle of LEGO Castle has actually been surprisingly consistent compared to a lot of other themes that are revisited more sporadically — new takes on LEGO Castle launched in 2004, 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016. So expecting a new take on Castle to launch three years after Nexo Knights isn't a huge stretch. 

Well, that's pretty intriguing. So even if you may not consider Nexo Knights to be a Castle theme, the fact that the last four Castle themes each launched three years apart from each other does make Nexo Knights a Castle theme, since it does seem to fall into that same pattern. 

Interesting observation. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, deneweth said:

I understand that. And LEGO itself considered NK a castle theme back in wave 1

But look at the theme now. The castle side of it is completely gone. Now this is closer to be a space sci-fi theme. So, I said I don't think LEGO will consider this a castle theme anymore. I mean, there no way, right? 

So, wave 1 and 2 of NK were a castle theme, but wave 3 is definitely not

Could someone who has a fully armoured Vampire put General Magmar's face plate on it, I just wanted to see how it looks, thanks 

2 hours ago, Sickbricks02 said:

Jangs review of Axl's Rolling Arsenal. I think it looks a bit like a smaller Fortrex!

While those geared pop-out side armaments are a cool feature, Jestro's flyer and the drone rover are awfully shoddy looking. Also, ironically, the inclusion of that drone rover might as well make this a Space set.

Personally I think it's kinda neat that Jestro's flyer has some of the same jester hat motifs as his past vehicles, but now adapted to the more angular design language of the "good guy" sets. Not a super impressive build, but better if it had been a more generic flyer without any Jestro-ish traits.

28 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Jestro's flyer and the drone rover are awfully shoddy looking.

Indeed, probably didn't help that Jang built the stud shooters upside down though.

My problem with the flyer is that it is too flat on the sides. While it is possible for certain sets to excel at both looking good and having good play features, the Rolling Arsenal definitely leans towards play rather than looks. It looks fine in its default form, but starts to look worse as the side panels extend and the mini vehicles are removed.

18 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Sure, but does TLG consider color scheme enough of a distinction? Unfortunately, I think that they somewhat figure that the mere setting of both themes makes them contenders for customers' choice, where either a in-house space theme would take a chunk out of Star Wars' purchasing base, or that their in-house space theme would just be ignored by customers in favor of Star Wars.

Didn't TLG featured Space themes alongside with Star Wars in the past from time to time? Or did that only happen when Star Wars took a break?

4 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

Didn't TLG featured Space themes alongside with Star Wars in the past from time to time? Or did that only happen when Star Wars took a break?

Star Wars overlapped with other Space themes briefly in 2001 (Life On Mars), but after that it went on a long hiatus that only ended in 2007 with Mars Mission — when, notably, the prequel trilogy had ended. Then shortly before the sequel trilogy began, LEGO Space went on hiatus again. These things might very easily be related. Star Wars as a brand tends to have a much bigger profile in movie years.

4 hours ago, KaiNinjaOfFire said:

There's an official image of the hover jouster box floating around for those interested.

Yup, courtesy of the World of Games site. Looks like a great parts pack too.

yLXcS2S.jpg

Edited by ultiminutes

I just took a look at the review for Axl's Rolling Arsenal, and I must say, this set looks a bit underwhelming to me.

For one, I feel the tank itself is a tad too compact. I initially though it would expand even further into the back.

Furthermore, it looks really empty once you remove both the drone and Jestro's vehicle (which looks also rather blocky). The lack of a rear wall doesn't help here either.

On the bright side, the overall shape is still cool, and I like the flip-out side-panel blasters.

13 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

I just took a look at the review for Axl's Rolling Arsenal, and I must say, this set looks a bit underwhelming to me.

For one, I feel the tank itself is a tad too compact. I initially though it would expand even further into the back.

Furthermore, it looks really empty once you remove both the drone and Jestro's vehicle (which looks also rather blocky). The lack of a rear wall doesn't help here either.

On the bright side, the overall shape is still cool, and I like the flip-out side-panel blasters.

I am disapoined it doesn't use those cool panels Fortrex use and when you take off flyer it looks horrible.

I wish the little technobiter ship in Axel's tank set was a polybag. The look from the back is very poor, overall I don't think I'd buy that set.  The 3 small sets of this wave are excellent though. 

On 11/21/2017 at 12:04 AM, Dr.Cogg said:

Could someone who has a fully armoured Vampire put General Magmar's face plate on it, I just wanted to see how it looks, thanks 

Doesn't work with the helmet, but looks amazing with the armor.

magbiteS.jpg